Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The more I read the stretch goals the more I think that the game will be empty of my favorite things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Bemis posted:

When did it change from fohguild to rerolled?

Let me tell you a story about EQ in a browser.

Aradune posted:

We may update the stretch goals fairly soon based on feedback.

That's great to know! I think a lot of people's favorite things about EQ was how unique classes like bard and monk pulling was, so making them seem so high off the ground was a bummer. The $50 unlimited beta was a good idea.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

~AVOIDING DESIGN MISTAKES ONE MONTHLY FORUM FEE AT A TIME~

Honestly, Pantheon isn't getting made but I really don't want to get a real job. Not that anyone would hire me anyway.

LOCATE CORPSE ON MY CAREER PLZ

G Prestige posted:

Awesome. I absolutely loved Vanguard, despite the obvious problems. I subscribed to the game for quite a while and would just get lost exploring the world, the dungeons, and everything else. I thought the open, massive dungeons were amazing. Unfortunately, I had no idea what an MMO was when EQ was released, so I sadly missed out on that. If you're able to successfully deliver that experience to an entirely new generation of gamers, that would be amazing.

One of the most important things to me in an MMO is when zones are re-used frequently. What I mean by that is once you finish the quests and dungeons in the area, you don't just move on and forget about it forever. Zone persistence hands down creates that "world" feeling everyone talks about (I believe FFXI did this best). Most current gen games have you finish the questline for an area, and lead you to another area to complete never looking back. What do you have planned for Pantheon?

The general plan is fewer levels, so more content for each level. Also the dungeons will be huge and a whole dungeon will not be just one level range. So players will be there a while. We're also making it VERY hard to power-level and zip right on by areas without needing to play in those areas.

-Brad

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Honestly, Pantheon isn't getting made but I really don't want to get a real job. Not that anyone would hire me anyway.

Third World Reggin posted:

The more I read the stretch goals the more I think that the game will be empty of my favorite things.

Nah, I think we'll get them in either through Kickstarter or via funding after the Kickstarter 40 days are over.

Our intent for this Kickstarter is first to prove that there's enough of a demand for a group focused game that believes in the experience of the game instead of handholding, and to get the ball rolling on development. If we can get to the goal we will have proved that and will have enough to get this game started and be able to get our studio set up and operational. If we only get to the goal and little more, then we will visit other funding opportunities but first and foremost we wanted to make it possible to be completely crowdfunded so that you, the players, have more to do with what goes into the game than other powers would should we need to turn to those options later.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

I'm not convinced he isn't still deluded from the shocking success of EQ. Like a lot of you (presumably) I spent an unhealthy amount of time on EQ growing up but thinking there's a large market of people who want to dedicate their entire life to a video game seems really misguided. I understand wanting to appeal to hardcore gamers, but things like having 40 people literally spend entire days of their life camping a dragon spawn should never happen again. I'm not talking days cumulatively, either. When epic weapons were introduced in EQ we literally had a rotation of people doing nothing but sitting in a dungeon with even more people 'on-call' if the dragon spawned. Does any sane adult really want this type of 'gameplay' back?

Ah, yes, truly refreshing idea.

Making a challenging game that feels like EQ 1 and Vanguard does not mean we want to re-create tedious grinding or camping for hours on end. We fully realize that the people who played EQ 1 are older now, have lives, wives, and a job. I'm confident we can make a game that has the challenge, the exploration, the open world, but also allow players to play a few hours, camp out, and return the next day. For example, our dungeons will be HUGE, but there will be many locations where a group or guild can log off in safety, to return the next day and forge ahead.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

returnh posted:

I am part of the niche market for a modern-day EverQuest. One thing that will absolutely kill any interest I have in this game is the inclusion of a WoW-style quest system. Unfortunately, the information we have right now is far too vague for me to consider backing it.

Please let us know what details you need and we will happily respond :)

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Node posted:

Oh my gosh, an idol of mine posting in my thread. I need to add some pics and videos to the OP. Got a few links for me sir?

I played EQ since beta phase 4, and still do - Edrick. I still have my CD and letter. I really wish you luck. I'm probably going to bump up my pledge now. But definitely - reach out more. I would bet that if everyone that played EQ from classic to PoP knew about Pantheon, you'd have quite a substantially larger fund on your kickstarter page.

Let me know if you want any other information added to the first post.

We are reaching out and getting better about it everyday. We still need people who are supporting Pantheon to help us, though. Like you said, there are probably a lot of old school EQ players who would be interested, but many don't follow the boards, or the news sites... they may not even know what Kickstarter is. So we need you guys to reach out to old guildmates and people who used to play a lot and let them know about Pantheon. . Word of mouth is just as important to us as fancy press releases, believe me.

catrkoraz
Sep 9, 2006

Aradune posted:

Making a challenging game that feels like EQ 1 and Vanguard does not mean we want to re-create tedious grinding or camping for hours on end. We fully realize that the people who played EQ 1 are older now, have lives, wives, and a job. I'm confident we can make a game that has the challenge, the exploration, the open world, but also allow players to play a few hours, camp out, and return the next day. For example, our dungeons will be HUGE, but there will be many locations where a group or guild can log off in safety, to return the next day and forge ahead.

In bold - this suggests the notion of fixed groups. How will pick up groups and dungeon exploration be handled in this game with huge dungeons?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What are you expectations in regard to playable content? Will you be requiring people to group as a rule to go out into the world and explore it and get things done? If so how will you deal with grouping in a way that won't leave you shackled to a static group who work together all the way to cap and then onwards into end game?

In a game like WoW you can roll on by yourself if you are unable to make on evening schedualed for leveling, what sort of systems do you have put in place for this?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
I think there's a lot of mischaracterization when it comes to old school EQ/rose colored glasses/poopsocking argument.

For me, I consider THE defining characteristic of classic EQ that it wasn't all about gaining experience every second you were logged in. And this was due to a combination of things: Leveling was generally slow and deliberate. Traveling was a significant undertaking, or monetarily expensive. New pieces of equipment had to often be specifically sought after. Selling wares required face-to-face interaction.

Now, I think we would all CERTAINLY agree that the individual mechanics that resulted in the above being true should NOT simply be copied over from the EQ of 15 years ago. But I at least think a game today should keep these end-results in mind as goals. Specifically talking about classic EQ and its successes, I think there was a LOT of appeal in logging on for a session and not having any idea what the game had in store for you that night.

Maybe you logged on your Druid and you'd find some Warrior in East Commons willing to pay 300 platinum for a port to Emerald Jungle and someone to guide him to Sebilis because he was bad with directions. And once you got there you'd find a group headed down to the Crypt, and maybe in an hour or two you'd be winning the roll on a brand new Heirophant's Cloak.

Or maybe you'd log on your Monk and a shaman asks if you want to duo with him in Upper Guk. You run over there, and end up killing things for an hour or two - but then you mess up a pull and get your pal killed. The next 45 minutes are spent trying to drag his corpse to safety, but you come out of the whole thing with some memories, some pulling lessons, and a new name on your friend list.

Or maybe you'd log on your Wizard - your favorite spot killing Ice Giants in Everfrost is already taken, but you really wanted to save up enough cash to buy a Molten Cloak and Impskin Gloves. So you'll go see what's currently camped in Sol A, and see if you can get one or both of them yourself.

Or maybe you'd log on your Necro, and while looking for an Oasis group a Sand Giant wanders by and eviscerates you. And you forgot you're still bound in Cabilis. Oops.

Point is, you weren't sure what was going to happen that night. And in every MMO I've played since EQ it feels like I'm following a script. I log on for an evening and I know I'm going to solo bandits for 4 hours, gain two levels, run back to town, buy some new boots from the auction house and log for the night. Tomorrow I'll come back, start a few quests in town, and join a dungeon group for a couple hours so I can get those quests finished up. I'll have another couple levels and some new pieces of armor by the weekend easy. And then I can...

And one day you look around and realize you're just on this boring treadmill, going through the motions the game has laid out for you ahead of time. And everybody else around you is doing the same thing, just riding the rails that take them to the end game. And if you decide to spend six hours one night just exploring some zones, that's your loss - you don't really gain anything useful because people can just follow the in-game map instead of really knowing a zone layout, AND now everybody you know has gained 2 or 3 levels in that time you were doing nothing. Because you got off the treadmill.

I'm starting to ramble, but it's worth mentioning that EQ did a lot of this by ACCIDENT. This wasn't necessarily some genius game design. People didn't level super fast in EQ because they were dumb, and they didn't know the fastest leveling spots. People had trouble getting new pieces of equipment because other people didn't know the right spots to farm to create the supply. People weren't as obsessed about min/maxing because nobody had parsed just what kind of difference +10 Strength makes versus +15 Dexterity.

How do we accomplish the same things EQ did in a new gaming environment where your playerbase is going to be much more genre-savvy and less interested in bullshit than they used to be? That's the ultimate question, and the answer is what I hope I see discussed as I read more about Pantheon.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

catrkoraz posted:

In bold - this suggests the notion of fixed groups. How will pick up groups and dungeon exploration be handled in this game with huge dungeons?

Spells that will bring a player from the entrance of the dungeon to you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kinda ok with a vanguard 2.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Aradune posted:

We are reaching out and getting better about it everyday. We still need people who are supporting Pantheon to help us, though. Like you said, there are probably a lot of old school EQ players who would be interested, but many don't follow the boards, or the news sites... they may not even know what Kickstarter is. So we need you guys to reach out to old guildmates and people who used to play a lot and let them know about Pantheon. . Word of mouth is just as important to us as fancy press releases, believe me.

You may want to see if you can post on the eqmac forums as well as the emulator boards. I had been playing on AlKabor up until the server was turned off in November. The content only went up to Planes of Power.
http://www.eqmac.com/forums/index.php

I've played Vanguard, and was in the beta for that, so I may come across as jaded about this.

For those that didn't play VG, the dungeons were massive, basically every one was at least as large as Sebilis or larger. There were so many tucked away all over the place that it was impossible for a player to visit all of them before outleveling them. And apparently I suck, because the 4-dot greys (the dots were an indicator of strength, with 5-dot being raid/named/boss, and 1-dot being pushovers) would always take out my paladin when exploring solo dungeons I outleveled. If anyone plans to go into game design, I strongly recommend checking it out for the diplomacy and crafting.

I'm a crafting sort of player, so if stuff lacks crafting, my interest wanes very quickly.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Aradune posted:

Spells that will bring a player from the entrance of the dungeon to you.

I would also suggest having a few larger dungeons with a second entrance that leads further in, but has a requirement like a key.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 16, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

How set are you on the Rise of the Fallen subtitle? It's generic as you can get in fantasy.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Huttan posted:

You may want to see if you can post on the eqmac forums as well as the emulator boards. I had been playing on AlKabor up until the server was turned off in November. The content only went up to Planes of Power.
http://www.eqmac.com/forums/index.php

I've played Vanguard, and was in the beta for that, so I may come across as jaded about this.

For those that didn't play VG, the dungeons were massive, basically every one was at least as large as Sebilis or larger. There were so many tucked away all over the place that it was impossible for a player to visit all of them before outleveling them. And apparently I suck, because the 4-dot greys (the dots were an indicator of strength, with 5-dot being raid/named/boss, and 1-dot being pushovers) would always take out my paladin when exploring solo dungeons I outleveled. If anyone plans to go into game design, I strongly recommend checking it out for the diplomacy and crafting.

I'm a crafting sort of player, so if stuff lacks crafting, my interest wanes very quickly.

Silius is on the team for this, and he was responsible for VG's crafting system. So depending on your perspective, that's a good thing.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Aradune posted:

Please let us know what details you need and we will happily respond :)

I guess my biggest concern is what the focus of leveling is going to be. I loved Vanguard, but I couldn't stick with it because questing to level is just boring to me. While the other parts of the game were really amazing, that just sucked all the fun out of it. If Pantheon is going to be about all about hanging out with people while killing monsters and camping rare ones, and exploring dungeons and getting into loads of danger then I'll be really excited.

Edit: I just noticed that you sort of addressed this in Q&A #2. :)

Third fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 17, 2014

Huttan
May 15, 2013

megalodong posted:

Silius is on the team for this, and he was responsible for VG's crafting system. So depending on your perspective, that's a good thing.

OK. I'm in.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Huttan posted:

My second time around playing vanguard I lost interest due to being able to solo 6 dot enemies 10 levels higher than me. It was fun for a bit and eventually I realized it was just absurdly broken.

megalodong posted:

VG's crafting system was awful. Having a complication on the last step that fails the entire craft is simply not fun. I enjoyed most of it aside from that.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Next Q&A up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slve6F4aM9w

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Aradune posted:

Nah, I think we'll get them in either through Kickstarter or via funding after the Kickstarter 40 days are over.

Our intent for this Kickstarter is first to prove that there's enough of a demand for a group focused game that believes in the experience of the game instead of handholding, and to get the ball rolling on development. If we can get to the goal we will have proved that and will have enough to get this game started and be able to get our studio set up and operational. If we only get to the goal and little more, then we will visit other funding opportunities but first and foremost we wanted to make it possible to be completely crowdfunded so that you, the players, have more to do with what goes into the game than other powers would should we need to turn to those options later.

Would gay/any marriage be available to the player-base once the game has reached its beta phase? This is an important opportunity to set yourselves far from the rest and incorporate diverse player and game lore. Nothing beats a good story!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Allow for gay marriage but no interracial stuff. Gotta keep the blood pure.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
I agree with many of the people in this thread the social aspect in modern MMOs is missing. At this point I don't even bother to look at the chat window in most games. When you are grouping you are tossed in a random group, from a bunch of different servers, who you will never see again. There is no incentive to chat or even be good at playing your class.

While many of us do not have the time to camp those ultra rare epic quest spawns or raid mobs anymore. I think many of us do miss the style of play where you get a few people together choose a camp with decent loot and exp and hang out for an hour or two.

Are there any plans for a crowd control class? The enchanter is one of the things that keeps me going back to EQ time and time again.

With steamOS on the way have you considered adding linux to one of your stretch goals? From what I have heard unity does most of the work for you and you would gain some traction with the linux gaming community.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Even today, playing vanguard, a lot of players who come into it leave due to not being social enough to find groups. There are a lot of other reasons why they leave still, but not communicating is one of them.

Not sure if a game where you require people to be social will work.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
How do you feel about maps? Personally I find maps take a lot away from exploration, as it's usually more convenient to stare at your map as you travel instead of learning the world based on landmarks and distance.

I noticed one of the screenshots on the Kickstarter has a minimap, which is a bit unfortunate. I suppose I'd be okay with an in-game map if it didn't show you your location, so you had to actually think about where you are in relation to the world.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

tehfeer posted:

I agree with many of the people in this thread the social aspect in modern MMOs is missing. At this point I don't even bother to look at the chat window in most games. When you are grouping you are tossed in a random group, from a bunch of different servers, who you will never see again. There is no incentive to chat or even be good at playing your class.

While many of us do not have the time to camp those ultra rare epic quest spawns or raid mobs anymore. I think many of us do miss the style of play where you get a few people together choose a camp with decent loot and exp and hang out for an hour or two.

Are there any plans for a crowd control class? The enchanter is one of the things that keeps me going back to EQ time and time again.

With steamOS on the way have you considered adding linux to one of your stretch goals? From what I have heard unity does most of the work for you and you would gain some traction with the linux gaming community.

They have said they would not rule out linux ever from happening but they aren't committing to it right now.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

returnh posted:

How do you feel about maps? Personally I find maps take a lot away from exploration, as it's usually more convenient to stare at your map as you travel instead of learning the world based on landmarks and distance.

I noticed one of the screenshots on the Kickstarter has a minimap, which is a bit unfortunate. I suppose I'd be okay with an in-game map if it didn't show you your location, so you had to actually think about where you are in relation to the world.

I think on the Rerolled forums it was stated that it is more of a radar than a map.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Even today, playing vanguard, a lot of players who come into it leave due to not being social enough to find groups. There are a lot of other reasons why they leave still, but not communicating is one of them.

Not sure if a game where you require people to be social will work.

Probably impossible for a game to make anti-social people social, but if the game rewards teamwork enough, normal (well normal for MMO players) people will want to group up, and if you make communication easy and necessary for good teamwork, people will be more social.

I think the real key is to slow down combat, you can't chat in WoW because in a group you a) never stop moving and b) are mashing buttons every time something comes off of cooldown. You don't even have a second to type anything except when you wipe. So everyone's verbal interactions with other players are almost universally negative, which furthers the cycle of never saying anything to anyone in-game. Slower, strategic combat, with bonuses for comboing with/off of groupmates abilities will get people talking.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I was asked to make the OP more informative so I did my best. I generally don't like making threads so let me know if I need to correct something.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

returnh posted:

I'm not a fan of maps.

The mini-map is more of a radar and may turn out to be essential for combat, but we don't know yet. Having one is not set in stone.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Aradune posted:

I'm not a fan of maps.

The mini-map is more of a radar and may turn out to be essential for combat, but we don't know yet. Having one is not set in stone.

This is either a stretch goal or something to create way down the line, but maps that players create in game would be cool, like a tradeskill, and make it have some sort of use in game. Ultima Online did that well, for example. You could dig treasure up, chart boat waypoints, etc.

But an omniscient radar, I agree, shouldn't be mandatory, but a consideration.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I am personally pretty thoroughly unsold on the design choices for this game, but if its funding gets people to stop griping about dungeon finders ruining communities in every MMO thread by giving them a place where they can camp monster spawns, then I wish it the very best of success.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

I want to believe...I do...Dammmit....I want this to be real....3 mil to be a bard???....5 mil to be a monk??......but it's Brad, my hero, he did the first 3D MUD.....he did what all of us talked about.....took LPC code to the next level.....sigh, must resist....remember Vanguard.......but I can't....money spent....please don't make me cry...I want to believe.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Dahn posted:

I want to believe...I do...Dammmit....I want this to be real....3 mil to be a bard???....5 mil to be a monk??......but it's Brad, my hero, he did the first 3D MUD.....he did what all of us talked about.....took LPC code to the next level.....sigh, must resist....remember Vanguard.......but I can't....money spent....please don't make me cry...I want to believe.

Wait until the Stretch Goals are restructured, hopefully they'll be more sane.

Crotch Turtles
May 1, 2005

by Lowtax
I haven't watched the Q&A videos, so forgive me if this has been asked:

What are your plans regarding factions, particularly regarding home cities? I consider original EQ the pinnacle of the system; sneaking around a highly hostile city was quite exciting and terrifying. Being in hostile territory had a palpable sense of danger - see going thru Feerott as a high elf, etc. Compared with the blanket OK you're cool and NO gently caress OFF, of WoW, I think it's a more engaging way to experience the game.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I think requiring a million more dollars in funding to add more classes seems sort of silly. Realistically it won't cost anywhere near that much for someone to add it in and balance it, and there's really no reason to not add extra classes when it adds so much to gameplay and requires little more than extra time.

Good luck Brad, I hope your kickstarter goes well. Vanguard done without fewer bugs and better graphics would be cool. Is there a studio you plan on going through, or starting your own? What kind of hiring do you plan on doing at first?

edit: nevermind, looks like you started one back in October and already have people on board. Cool.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 17, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dahn posted:

I wouldn't put all the blame on Brad for Vanguard (which was and still is an awesome game.) It was pushed out the door and didn't get the resources for post-launch support.

I wish Vanguard got a FF14 reboot treatment. It deserves it.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Stretch Goal:
$420,000,000 Gay Marriage and digital weed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

BombermanX posted:

Stretch Goal:
$420,000,000 Gay Marriage and digital weed.

Hold on, let me rob a few banks. The Aradune defense will get me no jailtime, surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
drat! Someone pledged one of the 3 $10k rewards. Congrats Brad!

• Locked thread