Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013

Zvim posted:

He has to do something while everyone else does the work.

That's what I thought as well. "Look at me posting all these updates to our backers!"

But then again, the $2 million of his own funds that he invests in CU probably buys him this artistic freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eonwe posted:

I do like the idea of getting abilities and traits from fighting mobs/bosses. One of my favorite classes in games is the Blue Mage, and it kind of sounds like everyone is a bit of a blue mage in a way.

Shadowbane did this, and it was my only experience with it in an MMO. Given SB's PvP focus, you can imagine the battles raged for control of those spawns. Epic and visceral at times, but incredibly dispiriting if you were just blocked out from class choices because your nation couldn't compete at that level.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
Griefing is going to be a big thing if they don't appease pvp'ers in some form.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That is a silly thing to say. It is going to happen no matter what they appease.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

sinewave posted:

Griefing is going to be a big thing if they don't appease pvp'ers in some form.

There will always be griefers no matter what restrictions you put into a game. And we can thank griefers, because even though it was a faction pvp server, we got Fansy out of it.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

That is a silly thing to say. It is going to happen no matter what they appease.

I would argue grief is a core part of the EQ experience. It sure as hell was during the temple of veehsan raids on Combine.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Hal_2005 posted:

I would argue grief is a core part of the EQ experience. It sure as hell was during the temple of veehsan raids on Combine.

This is what I meant, they can say it's PVE only or PVE focused, but griefing IS the PVP in this format. If you can't shoot another player, PVP'ers will resort to training, blocking, scamming, etc. Definitely happened in EQ2 and Vanguard when they canned the PVP servers.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I never got the chance to play Everquest but this looks really appealing. I love the idea of designed downtime and the whole concept of raids so long you need to set up camp and log off to rest sounds amazingly cool. I hope Brad comes back and posts a bit more, it was neat seeing a developer and his team respond to their fans at such a direct level.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW
Will there be a quest where you have to rummage through your employees' desks for 10 vials of percocet, then leave after being at the office for only an hour?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS posted:

Will there be a quest where you have to rummage through your employees desks for 10 vials of percocet, then leave after being at the office for only an hour?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

iminers posted:

Nice things like people posting on the forums while they are soliciting funds?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I know there are some people who want puppies and rainbows in here so they can fawn over the developers when they make appearances but the alleged drug use and repeated absences during the Vanguard development should be on people's mind if thinking about helping to fund the game. I believe it's a very big part of why people aren't throwing money at this. I have put myself down for the $45 tier because I'm hoping hoping for another EQ-like game and should put my money where my mouth is but am very hesitant to put anymore in.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

iminers posted:

Its entirely valid to raise the point of Vanguard's development problems until the people asking you to trust them with money to attempt the same thing again give you actual assurances and plans for how it will be avoided this time around.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
Guys, I got this. Add a stretch goal for 5mil to get me to move from SF to San Diego and I'll make sure they follow through.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Vomik posted:

Nice things like people posting on the forums while they are soliciting funds?

Which looks like it is going massively in the wrong direction.

Probably a good thing at this point. If this is as disorganized as it is, I cannot imagine what the development cycle would be like.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Zvim posted:

I used to summon people's bodies who were lost at sea (bug or no bug and before necros could do it)
I still remember the worst one of these I ever came across more than 10 years later. For some reason, the deceased /consented a friend to drag the corpse onto Icebreaker, then both went LD. When they got back in game, the corpse was nowhere to be seen. They tried summoning the corpse this time, and watched it hump itself off into the ocean. I got involved and watched the corpses flop across the bed of the ocean in the same path that the boat took (premise: the corpses were bugged and the game thought they were still on-board the ship, although they were km away so every time the ship got a position update, the corpse got one too). I tried spamming /summon and rez and it would hump itself out of range before I could get the click off. Our server GMs were very rare, so I had to ask the player where he was going, head there and /summoncorpse. By this time, only one of the corpses were still rezzable, but at least he got his gear back.

I worked in retail, fast food and customer service while growing up, so I'm used to the complaining and crap that Tweety was griping about. It made me feel at home. Maybe that's the stockholm syndrome whispering in my ear. I dunno. If I met Sanya in real life, I'd buy her a beer (or other beverage of choice).

Ensis
Nov 13, 2003
On the banks of the Red Cedar...

jabro posted:

I have put myself down for the $45 tier because I'm hoping hoping for another EQ-like game and should put my money where my mouth is but am very hesitant to put anymore in.

I'm pretty much of the same mindset, including the $45 tier limitation.

However, based on current trends it doesn't seem likely that it will matter in the end. The Kickstarter has been active for nearly 10 days of their 40-day duration and it's not even 25% funded yet. Considering that the initial donation burst was so small and that the amount of backers is likely to only taper more as time goes on, the project won't be funded and current backers won't be charged. Which may be for the best; if it barely met its funding goal it would ship without every stretch goal, which includes the more interesting classes from EverQuest like bards and monks.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Ensis posted:

I'm pretty much of the same mindset, including the $45 tier limitation.

However, based on current trends it doesn't seem likely that it will matter in the end. The Kickstarter has been active for nearly 10 days of their 40-day duration and it's not even 25% funded yet. Considering that the initial donation burst was so small and that the amount of backers is likely to only taper more as time goes on, the project won't be funded and current backers won't be charged. Which may be for the best; if it barely met its funding goal it would ship without every stretch goal, which includes the more interesting classes from EverQuest like bards and monks.

I think it is still possible for Pantheon to be funded but it will just barely meet its initial goal with maybe a stretch goal or two. Pathfinder Online had a similarly slow start where it was trending towards failure but it picked it near the end and Pantheon has another month to go.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If I were in Visionary's position, I would see how Project: Eternity, Tides of Numeria, started out their PR. Maybe even hire a person, right now, to start working on that. Get more interviews on sites. Get the word out not just to individuals and small groups, but big web sites and such. The money is out there, I just don't think people realize Pantheon exists for them to spend it on.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Node posted:

If I were in Visionary's position, I would see how Project: Eternity, Tides of Numeria, started out their PR. Maybe even hire a person, right now, to start working on that. Get more interviews on sites. Get the word out not just to individuals and small groups, but big web sites and such. The money is out there, I just don't think people realize Pantheon exists for them to spend it on.

Isn't the trend that the bulk of funding comes in the last 72 hours or something?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sinewave posted:

Isn't the trend that the bulk of funding comes in the last 72 hours or something?

The first couple and last couple days are the biggest.

It's just that first ones already went by without much of a rush.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Node posted:

This is usually the biggest problem, people don't know it is there. But, I am sure Brad is trying to put himself and the project out there as much as possible.

I am not sure if the timing of the projects is a factor or not.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Prism posted:

The first couple and last couple days are the biggest.

It's just that first ones already went by without much of a rush.

Unless you're Star Citizen. :v:

As much as I wouldn't mind having another EQ type game floating in the either, I'm not willing to toss money at this Kickstarter for the simple fact that it's a Kickstarter for an MMO. I'm also aware they are doing this to show potential shareholders that there is still a demand for this kind of game, but the reality is it's still the most expensive genre aiming to cater to an even smaller niche of gamers.

Oddly enough, if they took my personal favorite bat-poo poo crazy developer Richard Garriott's approach, I would have been all over this if they were pitching this as a single player, four player co-op, or hybrid multiplayer game using the same principles. It would be weird as gently caress and I would be perfectly fine with that.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Unless you're Star Citizen. :v:

As much as I wouldn't mind having another EQ type game floating in the either, I'm not willing to toss money at this Kickstarter for the simple fact that it's a Kickstarter for an MMO. I'm also aware they are doing this to show potential shareholders that there is still a demand for this kind of game, but the reality is it's still the most expensive genre aiming to cater to an even smaller niche of gamers.

Oddly enough, if they took my personal favorite bat-poo poo crazy developer Richard Garriott's approach, I would have been all over this if they were pitching this as a single player, four player co-op, or hybrid multiplayer game using the same principles. It would be weird as gently caress and I would be perfectly fine with that.

Yea, I'm really hoping Shroud of the avatar is good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
They added a bonus to the 250$ tier, super secret early tester access, but you can't work in the industry. O.o

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

sinewave posted:

They added a bonus to the 250$ tier, super secret early tester access, but you can't work in the industry. O.o

Brad? Hello? Can you confirm this? Are you still here sir?

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014

iminers posted:

Brad? Hello? Can you confirm this? Are you still here sir?

That is correct.

Thank you again everyone for the continued feedback. We're currently sitting at 198k on the site, and a few more updates (including the Dark Knight class and a couple more screens of the Sunken Sanctum dungeon) have been added. More to come daily!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Brad promises to make a Necromancer class and then nerf it for a year straight I will donate $20 right now.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

If Brad promises to make a Necromancer class and then nerf it for a year straight I will donate $20 right now.

I miss the days when my skeleton could beat a warrior.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ceythos posted:

That is correct.

Thank you again everyone for the continued feedback. We're currently sitting at 198k on the site, and a few more updates (including the Dark Knight class and a couple more screens of the Sunken Sanctum dungeon) have been added. More to come daily!

Thank you for keeping tabs in this thread. We'd love it whenever Brad or any other developer can drop by too. If kickstarter donations were linear, you will meet you goal. The good news is, kickstarter donations aren't, and they rise pretty sharply the last few days (especially if the last few days have some exciting reveals or events to watch on stream, hint hint!)

I was just speaking to a friend in Everquest about Pantheon, who has already posted in this thread. Despite being unemployed, he is planning on pledging some amount - so many people, after all this time, are still loyal fans, and know what makes a real MMORPG/virtual world. No offense to other members of Visionary Realms, I don't mean to throw you under the bus or anything. We're excited for you guys too. Keep up the good work, and work really drat hard at pumping out as much information and hype as you can until the very last second. I can't wait to post in, or make a thread about Pantheon's upcoming release in 2-3 years.

Oh, and by the way, you can tell Brad that today EQ learned that Lanys Ty'Vil is telling us not to trust Zebuxoruk - we'll see who is telling the truth in other content updates (one launched today.) Even though the gameplay has been really streamlined and made incredibly simpler, the lore for this game is still top notch, even today - nothing comes close. I hope the lore in Pantheon is 1/100th as good as Everquest's.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also if you're looking for EQ purists who want another MMO like EQ desperately, someone from Visionary Realms needs to go post on this forum.

Zvim posted:

I miss the days when my skeleton could beat a warrior.

I liked how well Necros could solo when you couldn't find a group, and how well they performed in groups. I think in retrospect the best move was to buff a lot of classes and leave Necros/Mages alone.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

Also if you're looking for EQ purists who want another MMO like EQ desperately, someone from Visionary Realms needs to go post on this forum.

I liked how well Necros could solo when you couldn't find a group, and how well they performed in groups. I think in retrospect the best move was to buff a lot of classes and leave Necros/Mages alone.

It is a lot easier to nerf one than to buff everything else and then have to adjust all the mobs because you over-buffed classes.

The thing I loved most about my necro was that I felt I could explore, even if everything wanted me dead I felt i had the tools to survive. Could turn invisible to normal mobs or to undead, could fear mobs, could root mobs, could feign death.

Not many classes gave you the same kind of freedom to explore, there is no way I would just waltz into the unknown as a warrior. He might take longer to die but he had no real escape tools.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

So how are the dungeons where we can "Get lost for weeks" doing?

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Backed at the $45 tier. I can't resist anything similar to EQ and Vanguard. EQ consumed my teens, Vanguard not so much, but I still loved it's difficulty and mechanics enough to re-sub quite a few times. P1999 has gotten quite a few hours from me, as well. Looking forward to Alpha shenanigans!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Jebediah posted:

Backed at the $45 tier. I can't resist anything similar to EQ and Vanguard. EQ consumed my teens, Vanguard not so much, but I still loved it's difficulty and mechanics enough to re-sub quite a few times. P1999 has gotten quite a few hours from me, as well. Looking forward to Alpha shenanigans!

Good luck.

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014

Node posted:

Thank you for keeping tabs in this thread. We'd love it whenever Brad or any other developer can drop by too. If kickstarter donations were linear, you will meet you goal. The good news is, kickstarter donations aren't, and they rise pretty sharply the last few days (especially if the last few days have some exciting reveals or events to watch on stream, hint hint!)

I was just speaking to a friend in Everquest about Pantheon, who has already posted in this thread. Despite being unemployed, he is planning on pledging some amount - so many people, after all this time, are still loyal fans, and know what makes a real MMORPG/virtual world. No offense to other members of Visionary Realms, I don't mean to throw you under the bus or anything. We're excited for you guys too. Keep up the good work, and work really drat hard at pumping out as much information and hype as you can until the very last second. I can't wait to post in, or make a thread about Pantheon's upcoming release in 2-3 years.

Oh, and by the way, you can tell Brad that today EQ learned that Lanys Ty'Vil is telling us not to trust Zebuxoruk - we'll see who is telling the truth in other content updates (one launched today.) Even though the gameplay has been really streamlined and made incredibly simpler, the lore for this game is still top notch, even today - nothing comes close. I hope the lore in Pantheon is 1/100th as good as Everquest's.

No offense taken, I know a lot of skepticism, concerns, etc come from a place of passion on some level. I'd rather see some healthy debate or criticism than silent apathy any day ;)

We've talked a bit about the possibility of streaming some work and having a AMA on reddit soon. Either myself or one of the other guys will chime in with more info when we have either inked in.

Also - Zeb vs Lanys, eh? Well, the long-time dark elf in me says to go with Innoruuk, go with Lanys (but certainly not to trust her, lol). It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Tony "Vhalen" Garcia is our head lore guy, so I think you won't be disappointed with the lore in Pantheon. Our 11th update (the most recent one) talks briefly about the player's role in Pantheon (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts), and here's an interview Vhalen did with KTAM Radio on Sunday (http://pantheon101.com/tony-vhalen-garcia-discussing-lore-ktam-radio/). We might be doing more interviews with them in the future, so if anyone's curious check back with them on Sundays.

Off to a great start this week so far, thank you again to everyone for their continued support!

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014

Rand alPaul posted:

Thanks for the heads up ;) Since someone else has already started a thread over there, myself or one of the other guys will jump in a little bit later today.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ceythos posted:

No offense taken, I know a lot of skepticism, concerns, etc come from a place of passion on some level. I'd rather see some healthy debate or criticism than silent apathy any day ;)

We've talked a bit about the possibility of streaming some work and having a AMA on reddit soon. Either myself or one of the other guys will chime in with more info when we have either inked in.

Also - Zeb vs Lanys, eh? Well, the long-time dark elf in me says to go with Innoruuk, go with Lanys (but certainly not to trust her, lol). It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Tony "Vhalen" Garcia is our head lore guy, so I think you won't be disappointed with the lore in Pantheon. Our 11th update (the most recent one) talks briefly about the player's role in Pantheon (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts), and here's an interview Vhalen did with KTAM Radio on Sunday (http://pantheon101.com/tony-vhalen-garcia-discussing-lore-ktam-radio/). We might be doing more interviews with them in the future, so if anyone's curious check back with them on Sundays.

Off to a great start this week so far, thank you again to everyone for their continued support!

I don't think it's Zeb vs Lanys, but they are playing a role. Zeb actually speaks completely lucidly to you for once instead of being really cryptic, then Lanys appears out of no where to steal an item from you and warns you about him. I'm not sure you want me to explain the whole EQ lore. But Zebuxoruk sits in The Void, where Norrath has been completely destroyed, and all thats left of it is a small rock he sits on with a barely living tree sprouting a few buds. The last living thing on Norrath, basically. He guided you through Seeds of Destruction, and he is guiding you again here with Lady Lendinaria, a dragon that escaped Kerafyrm from EQ2 and traveled into EQ1's universe and hosed poo poo up. West Karana has been ruined. We'll know how it all turns out in 7 or 8 months.

But back on topic, yeah, if the dipshit admins at project1999 allow it, that is probably the best place to go. They're all EQ nostalgics, they've recreated EQ from scratch. Kunark has been out a while and Velious is not too far off, but every single person that reads those boards is exactly the kind of person you want to reach out to. Their server can hit 600-800 people in primetime, and Kunark has been out a long time. I imagine population will double for a few weeks when Velious is released. It's a treasure trove of old EQ lovers, which I think is the type of gamer you are mostly (but not completely) aiming for.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ceythos posted:

Thanks for the heads up ;) Since someone else has already started a thread over there, myself or one of the other guys will jump in a little bit later today.

Thanks, and if one of you guys knows how AC or Aggro was coded on EQ please share. It's so, so broken on that server. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014

Node posted:

I don't think it's Zeb vs Lanys, but they are playing a role. Zeb actually speaks completely lucidly to you for once instead of being really cryptic, then Lanys appears out of no where to steal an item from you and warns you about him. I'm not sure you want me to explain the whole EQ lore. But Zebuxoruk sits in The Void, where Norrath has been completely destroyed, and all thats left of it is a small rock he sits on with a barely living tree sprouting a few buds. The last living thing on Norrath, basically. He guided you through Seeds of Destruction, and he is guiding you again here with Lady Lendinaria, a dragon that escaped Kerafyrm from EQ2 and traveled into EQ1's universe and hosed poo poo up. West Karana has been ruined. We'll know how it all turns out in 7 or 8 months.

But back on topic, yeah, if the dipshit admins at project1999 allow it, that is probably the best place to go. They're all EQ nostalgics, they've recreated EQ from scratch. Kunark has been out a while and Velious is not too far off, but every single person that reads those boards is exactly the kind of person you want to reach out to. Their server can hit 600-800 people in primetime, and Kunark has been out a long time. I imagine population will double for a few weeks when Velious is released. It's a treasure trove of old EQ lovers, which I think is the type of gamer you are mostly (but not completely) aiming for.

Off topic - jeez, you're making me want to fire up Eq1 again ;) When I was working at SOE I primarily played Eq2 and Vanguard - every time I log in my old Eq1 sk I see the mountain of AA's and about 20 levels ahead of me and say, 'nope, not this time'.

On topic - I posted over there and myself and the crew will do our best to keep up with it. So far the welcome has been pretty good there, thank you again Rand for the suggestion.

About the AC or aggro code - I don't know about it myself, but TBH it'll probably be hard to get someone 'in the know' on it since it's an emu of their product (not that they'd want to deny helping perhaps, but professionally they probably have to say they oppose it, if that makes sense).

• Locked thread