Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I like how that dumbass article and the LA Times article about how poor little USC is finally coming off sanctions both couldn't help but brag about how awesome both teams have been doing despite the sanctions.

"These sanctions were supposed to hurt us real bad but it's a good thing we're so loving awesome that they basically didn't matter. :smugbert:

No but seriously please lower the sanctions NCAA you're killing us . :("

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that seems like something straight out of King of the Hill.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oklahoma feels confident that DGB will get to play immediately, citing the run-off rule where a player is dismissed for "reasons beyond their control" because he was never actually charged for allegedly breaking into an apartment and shoving a woman down some stairs.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah UCLA's been using them for a while as well. Makes sense since you can do stuff like float them right above the O/D lines, directly behind the QB, etc.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Camp tomorrow, get hype yall

I am unreasonably excited about this.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zifnab posted:

Probably because the Pac-12 network is awful

Eh, I think the P12N's ok for what it is. To be fair, I'm probably a little jaded since I had to put up with Fox Sports West and how loving awful their coverage of UCLA basketball/football was during the SD->HD transition period. At least the conference is making a ludicrous amount of money from it, if nothing else.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tad SG posted:

USC lost a TE to academics. That leaves the team with 2 scholarship tight ends, and something like 67 recruited scholarship players. Gonna be a rough season...

Is Sarkisian still planning on running a high tempo offense? Does he have a plan that's not "Hope these kids don't die 3 games into the season"?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I was hoping for some old-man-gets-hit-in-crotch-with-football levels of shenanigans. This is thoroughly disappointing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

soggybagel posted:

Cool shirt that popped up on my twitter feed.

If you know how wheel of fortune works you'll know this is loving dumb.

I like that they couldn't even be bothered to make the two tiles that you still need white. It's like they got that far while making it, suddenly realized that their shirt doesn't make any sense any way, and just said 'Eh gently caress it' and stopped there.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah there will obviously be a whole lot of poo poo following this, but a major first step.

quote:

Wilken's ruling said the NCAA will not be prevented from implementing rules capping the amount of compensation that may be paid athletes while they are in school. However, she ruled, "the NCAA will not be permitted to set this cap below the cost of attendance, as the term is defined in its current bylaws."

She wrote that the injunction also will prohibit the NCAA from enforcing any rules that would prevent schools and conferences from "offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires."

The injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the amount of money that may be held in trust, but it will not be allowed the set that cap at less than $5,000 in 2014 dollars for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Except there's already a huge disparity between schools, even within conferences. The idea that successful schools will be able to buy the best players and completely ruin college football is based on the myth that college football is a level playing field right now, when facts clearly show that it simply isn't. The best players already all go to the biggest, richest, and best schools and college football is doing just fine in terms of not being on the verge of complete collapse. Partially compensating players for the millions in revenue that they help bring in doesn't completely change the entire system.

The successful/rich schools already spend way more than even their conference counterparts, just not through direct player payment. We're not talking about college players making hundreds of thousands a year. A poor, lovely school can't afford to build a $200 million dollar football complex, but they can probably afford to pay their players on par with what the big boys are offering. The idea that the big schools will just use this ruling as a way to completely distance themselves from the rest of college football is a hypothetical myth that the NCAA tried to push hard during the trial, and was pretty clearly disproven. It's a pretty big reason for why they ended up losing the case.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

kayakyakr posted:

The question I have is are there enough power schools to be able to hold it over the others? There are, by my count, 65 schools in the Big 5 (counting Notre Dame). I count between 15 and 20 schools with more money than brains. Is that enough to force through imbalanced regulations (or else)?
What imbalanced regulations though? You're making up this doomsday scenario where certain schools are, for some reason, allowed to and capable of paying players way way more than other schools which simply isn't the case. The reason this ruling is a huge deal is that it opens the door for players to get compensated while in college. Their payments are still limited and ultimately NCAA-regulated. I mean, if you look at the case as a whole, than the NCAA really didn't even lose that badly. But at least they didn't outright win, and that's enough for now. This nonsense about college football collapsing in a decade because some guys will make like an extra $5k a year is kind of silly and borderline fear-mongering.

Thoguh posted:

For example what would prevent schools like Texas and Alabama from poaching guys from other teams during the offseason by offering more money?
Well besides the fact that the NCAA still regulates max player payments, these hypothetical players you're talking about don't exist. Again we're talking about this made-up idea that college football is a level playing field when it simply isn't. Texas and Alabama aren't going to need to poach guys from other programs. They already get all the best players they want anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Glumslinger posted:

So does this mean we can get NCAA Football games back?
Yes. EA can make a deal with individual conferences/schools now, and those schools are now allowed to put a percentage of that money into trusts to be given out when said players leave the school. The NCAA will still decide what the limit is, but it'll be at least $5,000/year that the athlete remains academically eligible.

Thoguh posted:

You're basing your argument on the premise that the NCAA and its member schools will put reasonable rules in place. History shows that isn't something to base one's arguments on.
What in god's name makes you think that the NCAA is going to go from vehemently denying that its student-athletes deserve any money, to suddenly setting the player payment limits so drat high that schools like Texas and Alabama can simply buy all the best players?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Here's the full, 100-page ruling if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/236268643/Wilken-NCAA-Order

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

kayakyakr posted:

You forget that the NCAA ruled to deregulate the power-5 conferences, likely in preparation for this ruling, so the top conferences are likely going to set their own limits.

Except they can't...

The NCAA didn't just set the power-5 conferences free. They gave them more autonomy in some key areas, and they did it for the same reason why they cut their ties with EA. They realize that the ship is slowly sinking and are doing something to hold on. Giving the power-5 more power to regulate themselves was a response to the conferences basically demanding the right to give their players more benefits, and mounting pressure that those conferences were just going to say gently caress it and go play by themselves.

The ruling passed today still places the NCAA in charge of limiting how much schools are allowed to share with their players. Hell, it doesn't even actually stipulate that they have to share, just that the NCAA can't stop them. Again, I fail to see why people think that the NCAA, who just went to court to try and stop players from getting paid at all is suddenly going to say gently caress it and let schools pay infinite amounts of money for players.

And even all of that is dependent on this ruling actually sticking and not getting overturned or altered in the coming months/years as the NCAA files one appeal after another.

e: Seriously, go read any sane, reasonable person's take on this ruling and you'll see that everyone agrees that the NCAA lost, but not by much. This isn't some opening of the flood gates that will kill college football. It's a crack in a system that desperately needs overhauling.

VDay fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 9, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deteriorata posted:

It is odd hearing the claims about permanent imbalances being part of the game and inevitable when the general trend for the last 100 years has been toward evening out the imbalances. I'm not sure why people are so hell-bent on instituting a permanent caste system in football.
You can make all the strawman arguments that you want, but the idea that competitive balance exists in Division I football is completely bullshit, and it's been proven by dozens of researchers, statisticians, and economists in the last decade. If anything, there's a whole bunch of data that suggests that things have actually gotten more imbalanced in the last decade or so.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-competitive-balance-argument-against-paying-athlete-1576638830

quote:

No statistically significant change in competitive balance has occurred in college football since greater restrictions over paying athletes have been introduced. ... In short, little evidence supports the claim that NCAA regulations help level the playing field; at best they appear to have had a very limited effect, and, at worst, they have served to strengthen the position of the dominant teams.

The bottom line is that traditional powers still completely dominate when it comes to getting the best recruits every year and actually winning a championship. This is why the idea that paying players will somehow shatter the entire college football system is bullshit. It's predicated on the myth that college football isn't already a hugely unfair system where the top tier schools enjoy tremendous advantages over everyone else.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deteriorata posted:

Now, show me a study that covers 1950 to the present in one block that shows competitive balance is getting worse or at least not improving in college football. That is the actual argument that needs to be refuted, which Schwarz does not even come close to addressing.

P. S. - Deadspin is a terrible source for even-handed articles that get at the truth of an issue.

Ed: Actually, the split into FCS and FBS would significantly mess up any measurements, so a study from 1978 to the present would do. Not based on recruiting, which is a red herring he wasted a lot of time on, but on actual results on the field.

What kind of insane, Rain Man-esque study could possibly ever prove or disprove your point based solely on team performance? We're talking about a sport where team rosters can vary dramatically from year to year, teams play completely uneven schedules, and individual season results are a meaningless indicator of a team's past or future success. How about providing some evidence that actually supports your own case? Because claiming that some studies/articles that you disagree with are cherry-picking data because they don't adhere to your hypothetical study's made-up constraints doesn't actually prove you're right.

And in what world is recruiting a red herring when it comes to discussion of competitive balance in D1? Are you really going to pretend that the fact that the top tier schools consistently pull in the best prospects isn't a massive reason for why they're able to stay at the top and maintain the gap between them and the mid/lower-tiered schools? And if you want real results on the field, then the fact that only 4 non-traditional football programs have won a championship since 1978 isn't exactly helping your case. Yes, things aren't as bad as like 1885 when Yale, Harvard, and Princeton won it every year for decades. But to claim that things have significantly improved in terms of balance when the same ~10 teams are dominating and winning everything, just like they were 50-75 years ago, is pretty disingenuous.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 9, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah no actual changes are going to happen for years still. This was just a necessary first step to get the ball rolling.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I came to UCLA In the midst of the Dorrell era and mostly just had to sit through a bunch of really boring seasons where we went 7-6/6-7 and had to constantly play our second and third string QBs because our entire strength and conditioning department was a complete and utter joke. There was the 10-2 season in 2005, but it was such a fluke that everybody knew it didn't actually mean anything for our program and just gave Dorrell an extra year to lay another boring stinker.

The lowlight is easily going to the USC game in super lovely, windy, and cold weather and watching us be down 50-6 by the fourth quarter, then having to walk through the lovely surrounding neighborhoods back to our cars. At least we got the 13-9 win the next year, although again it just gave Dorrell another chance that he did nothing with.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/CraigSmoak/status/499243988650827776

So apparently Patrick Mahomes threw for five touchdowns in Texas Tech's latest scrimmage. I get that scrimmage reports are often bullshit, but if Mahomes did that against Tech's first team D then uh

Then it doesn't actually mean anything. You know, like basically every other scrimmage report.

e: To be fair, you'd obviously rather hear that about your team's QB than to hear that he overthrew every single pass and threw 6 picks, but actually putting any real weight behind what happens in practice is setting yourself up for disappointment.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Probably Magic posted:

KU came out with alternates with big, obnoxious logos on the shoulders and helmets, and I'm a horrible person who thinks it looks cool anyway. We'll lose by 70, but we'll have a gargantuan cartoon on our heads while doing it, dammit.

That helmet is awesome, but the HAWKS (does it say JAYHAWKS and the angle just hides the JAY?) in red-on-red looks pretty awful and the shoulder patch is like 3-4 inches too far back because Adidas. Still pretty awesome overall.

e: Guess it was just the angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rxl6tU8jcY

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Eh, it would help concussions some just because you could keep proper form longer, but the real issue seems to be the fact that I've never seen a team have so many knee and ankle problems from their injury reports. Like, I've never seen a team consistently have lower body injuries like UGA the past few years, and a lot of that comes down to whether players are conditioned to handle their cuts and moves for long enough at game speed.

Look at like, Oregon, Ohio State, or Alabama over the last three years. Those are all top of the line S&C programs at current, and their injury history isn't even like 1/2 of UGA's. It's pretty glaring at this point.

Yeah UCLA's S&C department was a complete joke until Mora arrived and brought Sal Alosi with him. We used to not even have a football-only program and would just use whatever general athletic trainer we had around. The result was that our QBs were banged up or straight up hurt every god drat year and guys would drop like flies. The difference in having a guy who knows what the hell he is doing has been night and day.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

AsInHowe posted:

Noted fat guy and idiot Jay Paterno is campaigning to be something that is unclear, possibly the title of 'biggest idiot in town', while giving speeches entirely about how great his dad's win total was.

http://www.votejaypaterno.com/#!speeches/cxc5

What an idiot.
This got buried at the end of the last page but holy crap there isn't a :jerkbag: big enough for that speech.

quote:

In a time when the NCAA is rife with stories of players taking money, of players demanding to unionize, of a basketball player being on the dean’s list admitting that he did so without ever having attended a single class….409 should be the NCAA’s shining city on the hill.

quote:

But I suspect I am Don Quixote tilting at windmills. I suspect that 409 represents an ideal, a truth that most of them could never see, and never wanted to believe in—including some people who made decisions at our own university.

quote:

What they could never understand, because it was never theirs to begin with, was that in giving away the honor that was won the hard way for the school—they gave away something that was obtained through difficult conflict, the road less taken of Success With Honor.

:barf:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

wootmachine posted:

This is a thing that is real.

It won't be real until I see a Deal With It gif version.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Looking forward to Johnny Football crashing out of the NFL in a couple of years and forming some kind of ultimate Odd Couple broadcasting/analysis duo with Tebow.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Maxwells Demon posted:

I guess having a fake dead girlfriend is bigger news than having a boyfriend.

Looks like we've made it.

Don't kid yourselves, if someone that plays a more high-profile position than backup lineman at ASU comes out it will still generate a depressing amount of idiocy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Joe Mixon's been charged with "misdemeanor count of act resulting in gross injury".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Send a picture of their dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xygxjosQfyI

Someone needs to cut that to have it go straight into that locker room dance scene from The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas that always gets posted/gif'ed.

• Locked thread