Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
#billion.Turd.) Washington State [will be bad and terrible because hope is for idiots and i love my dead gay football team]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Zifnab posted:

Oh my god we don't play Oregon and Stanford back to back for the first time in four years :swoon:

Apple Cup goonmeet in Pullman, hosted by Wheezus & Friends :getin:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

mike leach on tv is always a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TUF1W01XeY

now please for the love of christ give us another year of incremental improvement and for fucks sake don't let that kind of bowl game meltdown happen ever again when you could just run out the clock god damnit just thinking about it makes me :cripes:

it's not too much to ask, 6 wins is fine, 7 I'd be happy as a clam, gently caress I'll take 4 wins as long as one is the Apple Cup

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

excuse me yall but you best come correct when discussing THE Ohio State University™

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

Them limp-wrist Pac-12 fans don't know how to throw a proper tailgate. :911:

Wazzu tailgates are pretty loving good and the Apple Cup is always a blast, but I can't really speak for other schools

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

MourningView posted:

I want tombstones from beating up on like CUSA teams in the Tire Bowl or whatever

WSU should jump on this since we have nothing else

here lies idaho, they never scored
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrZmwKE29bQ

rip the vandals
?-2013

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

On the other hand they cleaned up baseball

lol*

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I can never forgive UVa for stealing Bennett from us. Give him back, he's ours. He's all we ever had :cripes:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

MourningView posted:

Darlin', no, don't open that jar that's not jam oh nooooo

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

At least Top 25 is a legitimate goal for a lot of y'alls teams, we grabbed Leach and his biggest accomplishment so far has been getting us bowl eligible for the first time in a decade only to lose to Colorado St in spectacularly soul-crushing fashion. Granted, excavating us from the Marianas Trench of poo poo we've been stuck in for so long is a long process but at least the alumni and administration know better than to panic and are giving Leach plenty of time to do it. I'm hoping for bowl eligibility this year, but I don't see an easy path to it in our schedule. The biggest factor is going to be how much Holliday improves and if we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot with INTs (and the fumble bug that suddenly struck us in the New Mexico Bowl :cripes:). Our turnovers have killed games for us so many god drat times, but at least the stats bear out the feeling that Connor was improving as the year went on.

Aug. 28 – Rutgers (The Seattle Game) W
Sept. 6 – at Nevada W
Sept. 13 – Portland State W
Sept. 20 – Oregon L
Sept. 27 – at Utah ?
Oct. 4 – California (Homecoming) W
Oct. 10 – at Stanford L
Oct. 18 – Bye
Oct. 25 – Arizona (Dad’s Weekend) ?
Nov. 1 – USC L
Nov. 8 – at Oregon State L
Nov. 15 – Bye
Nov. 22 – at Arizona State L
Nov. 29 – Washington (Apple Cup) ?

I'd pencil in Rutgers/Nevada/Portland St as wins, though I'm not nearly as confident in that as I'd like to be. Oregon is a definite loss, Cal is a win, Utah is a tossup, and Stanford is a loss heading into bye week. We played a shockingly good game against Arizona on the road last year, so I'm hopeful for a repeat of that performance at home. Our win against USC last year was :lol: as gently caress, but that's a loss this year. Oregon St and Arizona St are both losses as far as I'm concerned. It's hard to predict anything about Washington this year given the player and coach turnover, so I'd call that a tossup too.

That ends up being 4 near-certain wins and 5 near-certain losses,. We'll need to win 2 out of Utah/Arizona/Washington to make it to a bowl – a win-and-in bowl eligibility Apple Cup would be pretty great – but I don't feel particularly great about those odds. It's college football though so who the gently caress knows – maybe Utah beats Stanford only to be blown out by us like last year v:shobon:v

or maybe Nevada takes us to the woodshed and it's just another year at Wazzu

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 6, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

swickles posted:

:stare: Actually he did grow up in or spend a significant chunk of his youth in Asia. He wrote about it in his piece on why he follows the US Mens Soccer team so fervently, because that was like the only sport he had access to during the World Cup in Korea.

edit: It was Taiwan. He is the mole. Call a code red or something....

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/24/1533397/United-states-soccer-world-cup-history

Aahaha gently caress it's too perfect, it has to be Spencer Hall. It all fits.

too bad those videos weren't being made when the Leach shed-locking/craig james incident happened, that would've been goddamn amazing

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

VDay posted:

Pac-12:

Arizona - 3
ASU - 3
Cal - 2
Colorado - 1
Oregon - 4
OSU - 2
Stanford - 6
UCLA - 5
USC - 3
Utah - 2
UW - 2
WSU - 1

at least ours was in the first :shobon:

:cripes:

But seriously, watching Bucannon play was fun as heck and I hope he does really well. I was hoping the hawks would be able to grab him around the third rd, but secondary players were going off the board quicker than most anticipated – at least since he's with a division rival I'll get plenty of chances to see him play. I'm also hoping to see Marquess Wilson get some playing time this year with the Bears, I tutored that guy for a semester and he's a super nice kid and makes some rad circus catches.

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 11, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I can't speak to Wazzu but the rest of the top 5 looks right

It is and it rules.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

anne frank fanfic posted:

I think we can all agree gently caress navy and gently caress a&m

gently caress navy in spirit but given their competition its okay to root for them sometimes. especially when they own some idiot jerk pro-style school with triple option bullshit. imo

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Mr. Giggles posted:

All hopes of a hilarious Pac 12 Championship game one day in Pullman Washington are dashed.

lol

Manoueverable posted:

The problem is unless you hold it somewhere like Vegas you can't really avoid using a stadium that's fairly close to at least one school (UW for CenturyLink, Arizona/ASU for the Cardinals' stadium, Stanford/Cal as it stands, Colorado for Mile High, the LA schools for the Coliseum/Rose Bowl). So true neutral site games are really difficult; this is probably as close as they can get.

gently caress that, all Rose Bowl all the time is the only Correct Opinion

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Alouicious posted:

hold the PAC-12 championship in the Oakland Coliseum, but only in baseball configuration

make the football teams play baseball for the championship imo

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

The Rose Bowl is the most iconic stadium in college football and it's in the Pac-12, it's stupid to have the Pac-12 title game anywhere else imo

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

DJExile posted:

Wonder if they avoided it partly because it's UCLA's home stadium.

Yeah, but who gives a poo poo. It's the reason "bowl games" are named as such, its status as the Granddaddy of Them All far supercedes its identity as UCLA's home field. I don't think anyone would care except some idiot Trojan fans.

USC bitching is probably why it didn't happen and even if they weren't I'm blaming them because gently caress A Trojan.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

wazzu in the top 50 hahahahaha what the christ

that's AT LEAST 50 spots too high :psyduck:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Leach-I-might-ask-the-janitor-or-whoevers-just-in-the-hall-28697787

quote:

Leach: 'I might ask the janitor or whoever’s just in the hall'

When fans come up to Mike Leach, they usually talk about a memory they have with a game he was involved in, but there are always fans with suggestions on how to do better.

Most of it is nonsense, but Leach knows it’s important to listen, because, every once in a while, there might be something there.

“I’m one of those guys that, football-wise, I’m thinking about it all the time,” Leach said on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. “I might ask the janitor or whoever’s just in the hall. They might throw something out like, ‘Your linemen are playing real high.’ All of a sudden, I’ll get conscious of it. Once in a while, they’re right. Once in a while, it drags my attention to something that needs to be addressed. As a coach, you’re always too close to it and may not see everything.

“You get some nonsense, there’s no question. But the nonsense, you have to sift through it quickly. Once in a while, a fresh set of eyes will see something where, in the back of my mind, I’m going, ‘I’m sitting here watching it every day. How did I not see that?’”

Leach’s Washington State team led the nation with 58.2 pass attempts per game last season. Is there a number Leach wants to get to every game? He joked that he would love to throw it every single time in a game.

“June Jones keeps up with it, and I jumped on board, but I thought it’d be fun to throw it virtually every time in a game some time. Throw it 100 percent,” Leach said. “The problem is there will be some punter or something that drops a punt and has to pick it up and rush, so you will have one rush on there. It would be fun to throw it virtually every time one game, run it every time the next game and go around and prank everybody.”

i'd be okay with foregoing any (futile) attempt at turning us into a true contender in exchange for becoming a gimmick team

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

ACoolT5 posted:

Mike Leach just doesn't give a poo poo does he? I love it. I think the only thing that comes close to what he is joking about is that game where Spurrier alternated QBs every play.

Come to think of it, I would love to see Spurrier face off against Leach.

It does rule because we're so used to being bad that we can embrace a coach who isn't immediately successful as long as he has a personality and a plan. Us alumni aren't the type to drive a coach out of town with pitchforks even after a few sub .500 seasons, as long as we know it's not the coaching itself that's responsible. We all love Leach and he'll have free reign to do whatever he wants with the program for as long as he feels like staying (which is through 2018 as of the latest contract renewal).

He's the perfect man for WSU and I want him to stay forever, but I know he'll end up somewhere like Boise or another program who will pay him more and has the talent for him to succeed.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I figure I'll post this here since the sports videogame threads are super insular and full of people who are way too good to be fun playing against:

If you play any of the NCAA Football games you probably know that NCAA '14 is the final one because of the licensing problems and dubious legality of recreating "student-athletes" in a videogame without compensation. Anyway, it's the offseason so there's not a whole lot of news and with the summer coming up I (and a lot of you guys, I assume) will have a lot more free time. Would anyone here be interested in putting together a real casual NCAA '14 league for 360, or some 3v3 matches?

Grittybeard posted:

Does Leach still do the super wide line splits?

If you're interested, nearly every Wazzu game (and in fact, most CFB games of the past few years ) are on youtube in their entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnGcAvhfgmA

the game that caused me to go full loko :cripes:

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 21, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

The Pac-12 network has pretty spotty coverage outside the PNW, but the deal is a gigantic cash cow for every Pac-12 school. It makes a ton of money, and the programming is actually pretty good. It's got decent production value, everything looks pretty professional (and clearly based on the FOX Sports/ROOT feel), the pbp is all nobodies but they're good at it and bring the right amount of humor and levity. It also has a great phone app for watching games in HD on the go. TWC in the midwest doesn't carry it (even with the Sports package), but their partnered deal allows you to stream the channel and all the school-specific subsidiary channels directly from the site with a TWC account or with the app, so I can't complain. I really don't think it could've been done any better; just from money alone, we all made out like bandits – especially proportionally for less successful and smaller schools like WSU and OSU compared to Oregon/USC/etc since it's an even split for all 12.

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 21, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

oh my god

e: OH MY GOD

quote:

The team is down by 15 with four minutes left when it punches in the ball on the outside zone read that hasn't worked all day but finally beats the WILL who's starting to dog it late in the game. Geronimo is the head coach. Does he go for 2 now, or kick the PAT and wait for the second opportunity?
[–]MikeLeachAMA[S] 10 points 23 minutes ago
Geronimo's speed and tenacity in adverse conditions is going to allow him and his band of Chiricahua Apaches to score swiftly with that much time left. Illustrated in my book, "Geronimo: Leadership Strategies of an American Warrior," they prepared for situations like this and were raised to respond to them starting as children. They would never flinch in a situation like this. Going for 1 or 2 would be based on their evaluation of the opponent, the terrain, and the resources they had to work with.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

quote:

[–]gollfprodude 12 points 4 hours ago
Coach Leach, I just want to thank you for coming to Pullman. I have never had a positive feeling about our football team and you really seemed to have brought us (the WSU fans) something to look forward to. Hope we can come back from that rough bowl loss last year and have a good season.
So here are my questions: What is your favorite sport to watch other than football? What teams/athletes do you root for?
[–]MikeLeachAMA[S] 14 points 3 hours ago
Rugby is my favorite sport to watch. I root for New Zealand and Wales.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

DJExile posted:

mike leach fuckin owns

agreed

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxgZogjT1pI

VDay posted:

Pft, like we need to bother with poor man's garbage drugs. We can afford the good stuff now.

<insert Johnny Football money fingers gif with Larry Scott's face instead here>

install bill moos as athletic director-for-life

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I didn't see it posted but Michigan guard Graham Glasgow got arrested for drunk driving with a BAC of .13 at the scene. There were eight people in the five person car, including a volleyball player sitting on someone's lap in the front seat. Everything above her waist was hanging out the window as she was yelling at people. Glasgow is suspended for the App State game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXywgkY2O5U

KKKLIP ART posted:

Boys will be boys :rolleyes:

agreed

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Rides are for closers only. You call yourself a coach, you son of a bitch?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Both, but mainly you drink.

Go Cougs. :unsmigghh:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

~*~Reggie Ball Never Forget~*~

Literally Had Megatron

Not only possibly but in fact likely Wheez

I wish, it is a couple friends of mine though

I actually just moved back to Pullman so now I'll be able to experience crushing disappointment first hand again

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

it's more than a little ridiculous that Wazzu doesn't have natural turf considering the land in a >200mi radius around campus is THIS

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah I've driven through Eastern Washington many, many times and it didn't even look anywhere close to that level of green.

do it in the summer then because that's what it looks like right now

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Soxorss posted:

most of the time the palouse is a yellow dusty void with no landmarks or distinguishing features, so driving through seems to take days. this changes for roughly ~2 months or so in the summer where it looks like a big golf course.

then it turns into a swirly snowy white abyss that, iirc, used to (and still may?) have some of the most deadly roads in the US - this being attributed to 2 lanes tops on most well-traveled roads and drunk people

hey now the yellow fields are pretty rad too before they're all harvested

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

New turf going in at Wazzu today only the endzones will be red, same as the Rose Bowl

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Thoguh posted:

ESPNU is running through all of last year's BCS bowls today. Watching them is football Methadone.

well, it was like that but then i rewatched the new mexico bowl and it was like football naloxone

i'm watching the apple cup now and every good play just makes me feel even worse because i know whats coming and also because most of the good plays are made by people who graduated or went pro (miss u 4ever deone :smith:)

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

A Jenga tower shaped like a bonfire

lol

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Last weekend I played a game of "adult jenga" with cut up 2x4s stacked ~5 feet high. When the tower fell it could crush a child. So fun to watch the little ones crawling past knowing their lives depended on you making the right choice.

set it on fire you pussy. gig em

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Wazzu plays Rutgers in Seattle to open the season, god willing we will burn them to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Alouicious posted:

who bribed who to get that loving match off the ground

hopefully Mike Leach because it's gonna own

• Locked thread