Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elite posted:

Clearly we are dealing with a highly-trained mute schizophrenic pyromaniac homicidal furless monkey with a crippling shyness complex.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

At least one of those words is correct.

Clearly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

At least one of those words is correct.

Well I’m ironing out the wrinkles in another possible theory. I can’t get into the specifics, but let’s just say “Twitch Plays Monkey Burglar”.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

I played with that puzzle a bit more than usual for this LP actually, and discovered something interesting: The puzzle has an inbuilt hint system (i.e. if you mash spacebar then it pings the next tile you should take). HOWEVER: if you use the hint system exclusively from the start of the puzzle (as in press spacebar, move to the tile it suggests, wait for it to recharge and repeat), it will eventually put the puzzle into an unwinnable state. :thumbsup:

Wow. Now there's a dick move. What were they thinking?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Part 1 - Introduction
Part 2 - The Samoan Necklace
Part 3 - Inspector Baynes
Part 4 - Bishop to Knightsbridge
Part 5 - Bishop to Knightsbridge, II
Part 6 - Bishop to Knightsbridge, III
Part 7 - Knightsbridge Analysis
Part 8 - Welcome to Whitechapel

Criminy! Sorry guys, I accidentally set my PC's timezone to Valve Time, and only just realised that today is not March 18, 2007. Let's analyse the hell out of some clues!

:qq:

Okay, so we have a whole mess of stuff we pilfered from the crime scene to take a look at. Let's start with... gross finger.

Yummy.

Tooth marks, rather deep ones, I'd say of incisors and a canine..

I can see something...

Let's get the tweezers out.

Interesting... let's dig around with the scalpel a little.

The thieves did not get what they wanted. When they were faced with the Bishop's refusal to cooperate, one of the gang shook his finger at him, to indicate that he was responsible for his unfortunate state.

And the poor man, whose head was the only part of him not bound by ropes, bit the finger violently enough to sever it. An uncommonly savage act.

Watson, I am certain that when we have explained the reasons behind this sudden bestiality, we will have revealed a larger part of the mystery.

Hmm. Let's take a look at.. the bloody scalpel, next.

How many hospitals are there in the Whitechapel area, Watson?

If we count public dispensaries, enough to keep us busy for an entire month. Did this scalpel come from a hospital?

Yes, as the initials WCCH engraved upon it show us.

We must think on how best to deal with this. We do not have the time to investigate every hospital in Whitechapel.

While Holmes mulls that over, let's take a look at the length of rope we grabbed from next to the Bishop.

Busting out the tweezers again...

I must compare the samples of earth that I found.

Give it a mix together with the tweezers, and..

How do you know?

It took just a little water to analyse the consistency. The soil has retained its moisture, even though there hasn't been rain in London for over a week.

The soil could come from the bank of a river, or somewhere where the evaporation is slower... A mine, perhaps, or a trench.

The banks of the Thames are clay soil, unlike our samples, so we can rule that out. The nearest mines are a dozen miles away, so I would rule that out also. I would therefore conclude your last theory to be nearer the mark.

A trench?

A pit.

While Watson mulls that over, let's take a look at the chunk of stone we snagged from one of the footprints at the scene.

Spoilers: he means acid.

Watson, bring me your register of the London hospitals.

Studying the scalpel has given you an idea, then? (The game doesn't handle studying things in a different order very well.)

Indeed.

I'll get it.

A brief trot across the room as Watson later..

Ooh! Better keep up on the latest London gossip.

When recalling the "Second Stain" case: the affair is indeed strangely similar to the Marquess of Conyngham's necklace misfortune! Indeed, Mr. Trelawney Hope; Secretary of State for European Affairs, had a document of extreme value in his safebox, which had been stolen but a few days earlier! Who, if not Sherlock Holmes, could have replaced the document in Mr. Hope's safe?

What was the point of the trick? It was evident that Sherlock Holmes knew the identity of the person blackmailing the gentleman's wife, Lady Hilda Trelawney Hope, guilty of a love affair with another man. The sinister blackmailer, a certain Lucas, had a letter that revealed Lady Trelawney Hope's double-life; he wanted the Secretary of State's wife to give him the precious document belonging to her husband, in exchange for the love letter. She obeyed him.

But then Lucas was found murdered, and Mr. Holmes managed to find the compromising letter without any difficulty, on the crime scene, after it had been meticulously searched by the police.

Does that not strike you as strange? Mr. Holmes knew where the hiding place was, without any doubt. As to the motive for the murder: no need to ask who might profit from the crime: eradicate a cumbersome accomplice and thus appear as a hero in the eyes of the authorities...

Evidently, the transcription of the affair, undertaken by Mr. Holmes's friend, Doctor Watson, gives another explanation entirely, but... is he truly objective? We may allow ourselves a little doubt on that score...

O. FARLEY

I suppose you should go read The Adventure of the Second Stain if you want that to make any sense whatsoever.

See: Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper, which may well be my next LP. Look for it in 2022 or so, if my update schedule holds steady.

All we need to do is find a hospital or a public dispensary near a location where pits have been dug and black granite has been used.

It is simplicity itself!

Let's have another quick delve into Watson's "very clever" deduction board for this. Cropped this time, not resized.

Skipping ahead a little..

Bingo.

Yes, Watson. The murderer with the missing finger must work in the cemetery, or at least visit it. He could have taken a rope, one of the type they use to lower the coffins into the graves. The granite is minute particles of tombstone.

And he only had to cross the road to steal a scalpel from the dispensary opposite.

Well, now we're getting somewhere. Let's now take a look at the substance in the broken phial.

What this pretty much boils down to is 'drip every colour of stuff into the stuff from the phial, and count the coloured bubbles.

Poison! Discreet, effective and only detectable via a thorough post mortem.

Have you been able to isolate the active components, Holmes?

Not with any certainty. This toxic substance surpasses my own knowledge in the field... It is, without doubt, the work of an expert chemist.

A chemist and a criminal!

As you say. Please find my monograph on poisoners of the last thirty years.

Holmes' patriotism lives on.

Found guilty of the following charges: Poisoning, attempted poisoning, theft and recieving chemical substances, murder and attempted murder, kidnapping with aggravated circumstances; cruelty to animals, hit and run, illegal use of chemicals, manipulation of the weak, drunk in charge.

History and description of the individual: Despite numerous mental problems and neuroses, Hans Schielman is an exceptional chemist and an equally remarkable mathematician. At the age of 21, his unstable and violent character resulted in his expulsion from the University of Vienna, where he had excelled in his chosen subjects. After being expelled, he was not heard of again for 4 years.

He was captured and arrested in June 1864, during the case No. X2552A "The Stuttgart poisoning" in which he was the principal suspect. He escaped before being sentenced, and vanished again. A number of elements suggested that he had found refuge in London. An investigation undertaken by Scotland Yard found him living under the stolen identity of one Leonardo Ittiizzia, however the officers who came to arrest him were poisoned and he escaped once again.

Our informers picked up his trail again in 1880, at an ancient factory converted into a clandestine chemical laboratory. Schielman was absent during the search. From the documents found inside the laboratory we learned he had a diabolical plan in mind: his goal was to poison the drinking water reservoirs in several parts of the city.

To this day, his motives remain unclear. His arrest on 05/05/1888 was due entirely to chance; he was recognised by a police officer while stumbling around in a state of inebriation, shouting of his intention to poison the entire city. None of the interrogations following his arrest have provided any conclusive information; Hans Schielman broke his silence only with incoherent comments.

Is he at liberty?

Happily no. He has been held in the high security wing of London's Westgate Prison for many years now.

Then he cannot be the one who concocted the poison.

Don't dismiss him too quickly, Watson. According to Scotland Yard, the man is exceptionally intelligent. For the greatest criminals, prison is but a mere obstacle. Let's plan a little visit to see Mr. Schielman tomorrow. For now, let us look at our deduction board, Watson.

Well, only one of those conclusions actually makes any god drat sense, so..

I know that looks like half a sentence in the subtitle, but the developers just forgot a full stop.

They therefore act for someone more... "educated".... than themselves!

You remember Wiggins and his gang? The Baker Street Irregulars?

Yes, the street urchins whom you employ upon occasion? And Wiggins is their leader.

Yes, well, I have hired their services again. I have instructed them to find out the address of the Bishop's nephew.

Wiggins, my young friend. Have you found the information for which the good Doctor Watson is going to pay you?

Very well, I understand... Here are a few pennies.

Does he live alone?

Did she see you?

Much like the Reverend, I just find Wiggins' face too funny to leave in a talky portrait.

Perfect. Watson, give our young friend another shilling as a reward for his discretion.

Here we go again... But of course...

After Wiggins leaves, Watson shifts gears remarkably quickly.

I'm falling asleep, Holmes. Aren't you tired?

No, I have an exceptional constitution. I can't remember ever having been fatigued by work. Idleness, on the other hand, exhausts me completely. Go to bed, Watson, the night will be short. We leave at dawn.

Suddenly...

Good morning Holmes, did you get any rest?

I did not attempt to sleep.

Have you managed to come to any conclusions?

I think that we might follow three trails: we can visit Whitechapel to try to discover the identity of the murderers by making enquiries at Dispensary 4661 and at the Whitechapel Street Cemetery!

The poison trail seems more important to me. We should perhaps go to Westgate Prison first to see Hans Schielman.

Yes. And let us not forget the Bishop's irascible nephew, whose address we now have, thanks to my Baker Street Irregulars.

I have located each place on our map of London.

Holmes, let me remind you that we still have not been officially instructed to investigate this affair.

Ah, well! We will just have to hide that small detail.

Well, goons, the choice is now yours. Shall we investigate the poisoner at Westgate Jail, the Bishop's nephew at Kensington Gardens or the cemetery and dispensary at Whitechapel Street? If there's a general consensus in 24 hours or so, that's where we're going. If not, first reply has it.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 11, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cemeteries always make for happy times.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

I know that looks like half a sentence in the subtitle, but the developers just forgot a full stop.
What subtitle? I think you have the wrong image here.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

FredMSloniker posted:

What subtitle? I think you have the wrong image here.

Quite right! I'm actually MISSING an image there, which is worse. My apologies, it's been fixed.

(also, of COURSE I would make a goof while pointing out another one)

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Add another vote for the fare at Whitechapel Street.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Let's go to jail! We'll either rule out a suspect's involvement to some extent or confirm it.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Go to Whitechapel.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Whitechapel is where the Jack the Ripper murders took place, yes? Sounds like party central.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Blue posted:

Go to Whitechapel.

Watson and Sherlock go to Whitechapel. This summer's new buddy comedy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like these crazy deduction chains you've got going. Feels very authentic to the original.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I hear Whitechapel is nice this time of year.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Whitechapel street to shake down the hired thugs, then on to the jail to find out more on the poison. Logically the nephews house would be last.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Well, it looks like we're off to Whitechapel! Update will be tomorrow, most likely whenever I am less flu-ravaged and miserable.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 18, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Too late to vote, but I would've voted for Whitechapel anyway, so.

I'm really curious HOW the deduction with the monkey was made in the first case. Maybe I just can't catch up with Holmes.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just giving the thread a quick kick to keep it out of the archives, sorry. It's not dead, just sleeping.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Part 1 - Introduction
Part 2 - The Samoan Necklace
Part 3 - Inspector Baynes
Part 4 - Bishop to Knightsbridge
Part 5 - Bishop to Knightsbridge, II
Part 6 - Bishop to Knightsbridge, III
Part 7 - Knightsbridge Analysis
Part 8 - Welcome to Whitechapel

We're back in business, baby! Let's be honest: I'm godawful at schedules. As apology for my appalling tardiness, the next three updates will each have a copy of this very game hidden somewhere within.

This one does, too.

Whitechapel looks about as lovely as you'd expect.

Don't worry about my wallet, Watson; it would certainly be easier to move Big Ben than to steal from me.

Or to borrow a shilling from you.

Amusing, Watson, really very amusing... Can we move on to more serious matters?

I'm listening, Holmes.

Right. We've a whole street to investigate and explore, let's get to it. The first order of business is

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

abject terror. Now that he's passed us by, let's keep wandering until we find the dispensary we suspect that scalpel to have originated from.

Bingo. We'll ask around inside.

Good day, please excuse us... Oh! ... Grant! ... Is it you?

Normally I'd do the tiny-face dialogue, but this guy screenshots amazingly.

Yes, we were young and ambitious... I didn't expect to find you here, I thought you had gone to America?

Ah...

Grant, treating those in need is a noble calling; you underestimate the importance of your work.

One can't always do as one might prefer when one is a Doctor...

Grant... I'd like to introduce you to Sherlock Holmes...

Doctor Grant, we are in possession of a scalpel which was found in an unusual location... Does it come from your dispensary, as we believe?

Thank you, Doctor. Farewell.

Well, that's that supposition confirmed. I might try and keep these updates a little more short 'n punchy from here on out so you poor bastards don't get LP fatigue halfway through reading one.

Next update: The graveyard, located conveniently right across the street! We have several clues to verify over there: the rope, the stone fragments and the dirt.

Whoever found the hidden link first, tell me if I did it right :v:

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 11, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I think you did it right, but I completely forgot I already owned this game, so I declined the gift, and I'm not sure if it broke something.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

TheMcD posted:

I think you did it right, but I completely forgot I already owned this game, so I declined the gift, and I'm not sure if it broke something.

Guess we'll find out!!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Yeah it's broken.

I'm not really sure what the point of that cutscene was.
"Is this from you?"
"Yep. Literally any doctor I work for had opportunity and motive to steal this. Happens all the time."

So....what did we narrow down, exactly?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

oldskool posted:

Yeah it's broken.

Either that or a lurker snatched it up.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

No, it was broken. Fixed now... I hope.

oldskool posted:

That it was this dispensary (and thus, this general vicinity) that one of the killers either frequents or works at. We'll have to ask around on the street a bit more..

I know it could have been stolen and sold on to the killers, but Holmes (and by extension the plot) is operating on Occam's Razor here.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 11, 2014

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Either that or a lurker snatched it up.

It worked. As for the lurkers, isn't the paywall back up?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man. That doctor's had a rough life.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

oldskool posted:

Yeah it's broken.

I'm not really sure what the point of that cutscene was.
"Is this from you?"
"Yep. Literally any doctor I work for had opportunity and motive to steal this. Happens all the time."

Absolutely nothing, which makes it a good thing to have in an investigation story. It's not so much a red herring - those are more there to trick you into thinking it's important when it turns out to be completely irrelevant. This is an organic detail you'd note in an investigation that leads to a dead end. Or it is of help, but you missed something vital about it. Like Holmes should really be asking about who the doctor thinks could be selling stuff on the side, to at least have a list of names to possibly correlate later with a suspect.

I can't see much of a market for a scalpel - they're good knives, but they're expensive and have limited use. A GIS on "1900 scalpel" got me this pretty set:

http://ancientpoint.com/inf/112392-antique_weiss_london_silver_scalpel_set_1900.html

I expect they all had holding boxes like that to protect them. Other sets I've seen have been just as fancy. So I think they were much more valuable than the game developers thought and would be treasures for the doctors who had them.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I feel a bit dickish about my continued sloth re: updating this thread, so here are the promised other 3 copies of this very game:

1, 2, 3

As you've probably noticed, the thread's kind of on hiatus right now. It'll be back at some point this year, though I'm not sure exactly when. Luckily the game is almost as slow-paced as the LP, so think of it as preserving the experience :v:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

I feel a bit dickish about my continued sloth re: updating this thread, so here are the promised other 3 copies of this very game:

1, 2, 3

As you've probably noticed, the thread's kind of on hiatus right now. It'll be back at some point this year, though I'm not sure exactly when. Luckily the game is almost as slow-paced as the LP, so think of it as preserving the experience :v:

Thank you, I took number 3.
Also don't worry about justifying the break, real life comes first.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

1, 2, 3

I grabbed the second one. Thanks a lot! The Sherlock Holmes games have looked very good, and I am glad to get to try them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I got #1. Thank you very much!

• Locked thread