Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

PC Brigadier posted:

rad unprofessional fridays segments that should be in the op:
Wonderswan, Beverly Hills Cop, Steak-umms, Truck Horns, Code Blue

I put up the Beverly Hills Cop one ages ago, mostly because I actually played it before and was stunned they found it. I can never get passed that exact same spot Jeff gets stuck at in the video either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYZI-24Fc8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PC Brigadier posted:

rad unprofessional fridays segments that should be in the op:
Wonderswan, Beverly Hills Cop, Steak-umms, Truck Horns, Code Blue

Will get on it, plus the other suggestions soon. I kinda fell asleep for 14 hours, hence the slow OP.

Also, sick work Studio, I've been unable to replay or rewatch HL2 since my original run through because the experience is so similar every time. Your run through was more than interesting and different enough to keep me watching. Plus, you had 10 times the presentational skills of most of the others streaming, so props there too.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'm a GHOOOOOOOOOOST!

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'm a GHOOOOOOOOOOST!

Ghost of a Brink APB past

Depths fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 10, 2014

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
One day you fuckers are gonna know me for something other than APB and Brink. You'll be sorry. You'll all be sorry.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

One day you fuckers are gonna know me for something other than APB and Brink. You'll be sorry. You'll all be sorry.

With your luck it'll be the next Alien: Colonial Marines. :(

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

I liked Brink.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I got Brink in one of the Quakecon sales and thought it had some neat stuff in it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Wasn't Brink the game that had a great and interesting concept but the implementation (horrible bugs and mind-boggling design/balancing details) killed the playerbase off in a couple of months? And the so called "single player campaign" was just the multiplayer maps with godawful ai bots?

Not sure what killed APB, but i guess the gulf between "fantastic idea/concept" and "fantastic game" houses thousands of titles, so giving pity points for the former is getting a bit old for me.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

PrinnySquadron posted:

Yeah, I got Brink in one of the Quakecon sales and thought it had some neat stuff in it.

That's what I think I liked so much about it - it came out at a time where I thought all shooters were going to have Call of Duty-style multiplayer, and seeing something do so many things differently than everybody else made it so fresh and fascinating. My big beef with it, and I think what turned a lot of people off, is that too few people figured out how to play the game "right," so most teams would have one or two players that understood how the game worked and pounded everyone else into dust, while all the other players ineffectually stumbled around trying to snipe or learning the parkour system.

I'm not a crazy good games player or anything, but I'm pretty quick to learn new systems in games, and generally don't go in with too many assumptions about how a game should work, so I picked it up after an hour or two. The problem is that it's no fun to play match after match with enemies that can't really fight back, and it's no fun to constantly get stomped into the ground. I wanted some good competitive play, so I figured I'd take a couple of months off, then come back when the playerbase was a little better and have some real fun. When I came back there was basically nobody playing. :(

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Not sure what killed APB, but i guess the gulf between "fantastic idea/concept" and "fantastic game" houses thousands of titles, so giving pity points for the former is getting a bit old for me.

I played a bit of APB, and the thing that killed it for me was that it just controlled really badly. Every movement and action in the game felt bad and unresponsive, especially the driving. I never got into it enough to talk about the real meat of the game because it just felt bad to control.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 10, 2014

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Wasn't Brink the game that had a great and interesting concept but the implementation (horrible bugs and mind-boggling design/balancing details) killed the playerbase off in a couple of months? And the so called "single player campaign" was just the multiplayer maps with godawful ai bots?

I hate to engage with this because I know people in this thread especially think I talk too much about being a *professional* but I'll give you one jokey answer and one proper answer.

BRINK: I worked on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars from a balance perspective but left the studio before shipping. Everyone else on the production tester team stayed on and worked on Brink. I'm not saying my involvement would have single handedly saved Brink's balance, but im saying I could have single handedly saved the balancing in Brink. Mostly because I'm a griefing oval office. :colbert:

APB: APB failed because it was based on an engine not designed to do what we were asking it to do, it's combat mechanics/controls were 10 years out of date, there was no real content in the game and the main decision makers were used to working on fantasy MMOs.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 10, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I played a bit of APB, and the thing that killed it for me was that it just controlled really badly. Every movement and action in the game felt bad and unresponsive, especially the driving. I never got into it enough to talk about the real meat of the game because it just felt bad to control.

What got me was that the world just didn't react to your actions as much as in GTA and most sandbox games. Everything just felt extremely floaty. I think the tech just wasn't there yet to do that sort of game online.

Brink definitely had its issues, but with enough dev support and a few more months of development it could have been great. It had a lot of good ideas, but they just weren't implemented well overall.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I will never pay money for a Enemy Territory game. :colbert:

RTWC:ET or bust.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone please link brad and Vinny the chipcheezum how to play MGR video so they don't have a miserable time through the game :(

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Vinny and Brad being convinced to play MGR:R comes too late for it to get its proper GOTY placings. Maybe the end of this year it will get it's due.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Props to Jeff for spreading the Gospel of Revengeance unto the uninitiated.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ah man, even Jeff doesn't parry the Ray's footstomp. I've only seen Chip do that among a lot of Quick-looks and demo runs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I couldn't figure out how to parry at first because the instructions said to move in the direction of the attack, not in the direction of the attacker. That made me think it was a lot more complicated than it was.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Fallom posted:

I couldn't figure out how to parry at first because the instructions said to move in the direction of the attack, not in the direction of the attacker. That made me think it was a lot more complicated than it was.

That was what I first read in this the Steam thread a couple of days ago, too, and I had to look up a YouTube tutorial because the way the poster phrased it sounded insanely unintuitive.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tae posted:

Ah man, even Jeff doesn't parry the Ray's footstomp. I've only seen Chip do that among a lot of Quick-looks and demo runs.

I don't know which is crazier: the fact you can parry a loving war stomp from a storeys-tall killing machine, or the fact that you grab its fuckoff-huge blade mid-swing later and toss the entire thing into the horizon.

The latter is crazy cutscene poo poo, but the former is a standard tactic in that fight!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't know which is crazier: the fact you can parry a loving war stomp from a storeys-tall killing machine, or the fact that you grab its fuckoff-huge blade mid-swing later and toss the entire thing into the horizon.

The latter is crazy cutscene poo poo, but the former is a standard tactic in that fight!

Raiden once stopped a huge boat with one arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbDwBgWqQg&t=122s

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 10, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raiden once stopped a huge boat without any arms.

Not just any boat, he stopped Outer Haven, complete with a Mount Rushmore mock-up of all the Snakes' faces.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Raiden once stopped a huge boat without any arms.

If that scene in MGS4 and the entirety of MGR:R hasn't redeemed Raiden in the eyes of people who bitched about him being the MC in MGS2, then there is no hope for them.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

I hate to engage with this because I know people in this thread especially think I talk too much about being a *professional* but I'll give you one jokey answer and one proper answer.

BRINK: I worked on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars from a balance perspective but left the studio before shipping. Everyone else on the production tester team stayed on and worked on Brink. I'm not saying my involvement would have single handedly saved Brink's balance, but im saying I could have single handedly saved the balancing in Brink. Mostly because I'm a griefing oval office. :colbert:

APB: APB failed because it was based on an engine not designed to do what we were asking it to do, it's combat mechanics/controls were 10 years out of date, there was no real content in the game and the main decision makers were used to working on fantasy MMOs.
No, i appreciate the perspective (when people don't get paid for broadcasting it). Funny thing about Brink, before the game launched some dev i played with years ago described this amazing system that would let them adjust balancing weapons and skills without having to patch the main game (which was a big headache on consoles) just via small xml payloads, so they could do it weekly or faster. Apparently that didn't work out since the game went months without a balancing patch - i guess because they were too busy focusing on putting out the fires caused by the "this game crashes on every ATI card out there" issue. :(

cmykjester posted:

Someone please link brad and Vinny the chipcheezum how to play MGR video so they don't have a miserable time through the game :(
It's seriously required viewing, they shouldve put that in place of the half dozen startup videos.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

RoadCrewWorker posted:

No, i appreciate the perspective (when people don't get paid for broadcasting it). Funny thing about Brink, before the game launched some dev i played with years ago described this amazing system that would let them adjust balancing weapons and skills without having to patch the main game (which was a big headache on consoles) just via small xml payloads, so they could do it weekly or faster. Apparently that didn't work out since the game went months without a balancing patch - i guess because they were too busy focusing on putting out the fires caused by the "this game crashes on every ATI card out there" issue. :(

It might have honestly just been a case of Bethesda not seeing the value in supporting it post release. I don't think they ever released sales numbers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Did anyone post about how Elder Scrolls Online is going to be a $60 game + $15/month subscription + a cash shop because :aslol:

I really want to hear Jeff's take on that.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

No, i appreciate the perspective (when people don't get paid for broadcasting it).

I agree, that stuff is always fascinating.

toasterwarrior posted:

If that scene in MGS4 and the entirety of MGR:R hasn't redeemed Raiden in the eyes of people who bitched about him being the MC in MGS2, then there is no hope for them.

I think time has helped a LOT in smoothing over people's hurt feelings over MGS2. I wasn't one of them because I was crazy into MGS and went on a pre-MGS2 media blackout, but I think a lot of the hate was just people's raw feelings from Konami's marketing very explicitly pulling a bait and switch on people by embargoing press from talking about the main character after the tutorial mission. Now that people have had some time to cool down I think they've come around to how good MGS2 actually was.

Plus there have been like a billion games with different Snakes as main characters since then. Looking forward to playing in that futuristic PMC hell setting with a main character who doesn't have to crack his back if you crouch for too long.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Did anyone post about how Elder Scrolls Online is going to be a $60 game + $15/month subscription + a cash shop because :aslol:

haha holy poo poo. Does anyone want a Elder Scrolls mmo?

MGS2 is the weakest of the metal gear games, but its not Raidens fault.

Popy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 10, 2014

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

WHOOPS

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Not only that, but the game is loving terrible and there is no way they can fix the fundamentally bad decisions they've made before the game ships in April. It's nice that 2014 is continuing 2013's trend of being endlessly entertained by games I'm never going to buy, though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Yodzilla posted:

You know it's quality when they put these in their heavily edited and scripted partially-cgi trailer

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

My buddies trying it say that it feels more like a co-op Skyrim than a MMO but c'mon, in our fiscal year of Luigi you can't do that poo poo anymore. Hope they have a insane lifetime subscription you can buy (only before the game is out of Beta)!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

ankle posted:

Not only that, but the game is loving terrible and there is no way they can fix the fundamentally bad decisions they've made before the game ships in April. It's nice that 2014 is continuing 2013's trend of being endlessly entertained by games I'm never going to buy, though.

It's basically them taking a page from Bioware's book on money-making: use a popular franchise, turn it into an MMO, only put in standard MMO-stuff to lure them in, and put your own spin on it.

Unfortunately, they never took a page from Anet's book on making the game beautiful to look at, non-sub based, fluid combat, and actual work put into it. Really, ESO looks terrible, unfinished and rushed, and just oozes of money-grabbing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

My buddies trying it say that it feels more like a co-op Skyrim than a MMO but c'mon, in our fiscal year of Luigi you can't do that poo poo anymore. Hope they have a insane lifetime subscription you can buy (only before the game is out of Beta)!

No its basically just an MMO. I would buy the poo poo out of Co-op Skyrim though.

I dont have a ton of MMO experience but I still had some fun with the beta. Doubt Ill actually buy the game though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Multiplayer Elder Scrolls just seems like it's missing the whole point to begin with, but $60 with a subscription? Wonder how long it'll last before going free to play.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I was in the last beta and I can confirm that it felt like a pretty rinky-dink co-op Elder Scrolls rather than a traditional MMO. What really struck me as bizarre, though, was the lack of instancing -- from the get-go you're going through the same rigamarole as every Elder Scrolls game, breaking out of prison and having a dying mentor tell you that you're the chosen one, etc, but you've got fifty other people in the same room as you experiencing the exact same story beats. Playing that first time, it felt like I was part of a graduating class that my NPC guide was addressing.

Every modern MMORPG from LOTRO on has realized how oddly distancing that kind of storytelling is, so it's quaintly funny to see Bethesda any studio taking such a regressive approach to it. That said the game is garbage and I unsubscribed from their mailing list after they sent me two emails yesterday begging me to register for the upcoming beta test, which I've never done for any MMO in the past.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 10, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ovaries posted:

so it's quaintly funny to see Bethesda taking such a regressive approach to it.

It's not Bethesda making it. It's another Zenimax studio created specifically to make the game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

With Elder Scrolls Online, take Skyrim combat and make it a lot worse. All your attacks basically go through enemies until they die and it's really unsatisfying. It shows the sign of a game that was conceived as a "me too" when WoW blew up but they realized that making a MMO is a hard and a time-consuming project so they slapped the Elder Scrolls name on it to give it some value and put a monthly fee on top of it all because...

From what I understand too is that they don't even follow the Elder Scrolls lore properly either, so why bother?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I've got buddies looking forward to that dumb game just to run around that world. I've tried letting them know how bad the early impressions have been to no avail. There's a market of fanboys who will buy that game regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Air Julio posted:

I've got buddies looking forward to that dumb game just to run around that world. I've tried letting them know how bad the early impressions have been to no avail. There's a market of fanboys who will buy that game regardless.

I have plenty of friends who don't play games except for Elder Scrolls, COD and Madden who aren't even interested. It seems like it is an extremely niche group of people who even want this.

• Locked thread