Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

404notfound posted:

I would've enjoyed Ready Player One more if it wasn't so much the author's masturbatory 80s pop culture fantasy world

I made it to the part where main character guy meets his perfect digital 80s girlfriend and beats the lich boss from the Tomb of Horrors D&D campaign at a game of Joust. Then I sold it back to Amazon. That book is horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Whoa, who let Cory Doctrow in?
Funny you mention him, because in this literary classic, he is specifically mentioned as being on like his 50th term as president with Wil Wheaton

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Whoa, who let Cory Doctrow in?

As much as it pains me to say this, Cory Doctorow is a better writer than this.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

As much as it pains me to say this, Cory Doctorow is a better writer than this.

Whenever I remember Doctrow wrote a book called "For the Win" I always imagine the title being spoken aloud sarcastically by Jeff.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't really know who Cory Doctorow is and I'm glad of it

Chapter 1
I’m a senior at Cesar Chavez, High in San Francisco’s sunny Mission district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the world. My name is Marcus Yallow, but back when this story starts, I was going by w1n5t0n. Pronounced "Winston."
Not pronounced "Double-you-one-enn-five-tee-zero-enn"— unless you’re a clueless disciplinary officer who’s far enough behind the curve that you still call the Internet "the information superhighway."

This is where the author turns to the reader and yells GET IT?

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 22, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don't really know who Cory Doctorow is and I'm glad of it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Daynab posted:

Vinny and Mary met, all is well in the world.

Also wow there's a big difference between the GB and GS community moderation, like half the comments are either saying she's hot or something more demeaning.
As cringeworthy as GB's sometimes gets I gotta give props for being the least worse big site.

How could you possibly be surprised?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

I like this a lot.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I'm assuming that there are living human beings that designed that thing to look... appealing, or... interesting... or something, and my first assumption at seeing it was that it was from Five Nights at Freddy's.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

what game is this

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Timeless Gaming Classic: Knack

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

cheesetriangles posted:

Can Giant Bomb recommend me a good long sci fi series to read? I know tons of long running fantasy series but can't think of any sci fi ones. What is the game of thrones of space?

The Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Very fun series, great protagonist and some rather interesting concepts. It also uses several different genres despite being SF.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 22, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Timeless Gaming Classic: Knack

oh

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You could say that the Playstation 4 has a...KNACK...for great games.

But if you did say that you'd be awful. Just awful.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

You could say that the Playstation 4 has a...KNACK...for great games.

But if you did say that you'd be awful. Just awful.

wasnt knack mediocre or something?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

wasnt knack mediocre or something?

It was a bad game. Basically the PS4's Kameo.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

thats a shame then.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

That comparison does a massive disservice to Kameo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The existence of Knack just makes me depressed. It's a game that only exists because it could make a console launch, in any other circumstance no one would want it, it's not even a good kids' game. If it came out next year it would sell like 300 copies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also how can Knack be game of the generation when this just came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYW2cE-sJ0

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do they have to track down and get permissions for a whole bunch of poo poo to commercialize that game?
Does dancing kid get a cut? YCS from four years ago frog gif doer?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Hakkesshu posted:

Also how can Knack be game of the generation when this just came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYW2cE-sJ0

this looks like it should be on android and nowhere else

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess I never thought about anyone registering a trademark for a meme, since that would ruin the whole purpose, but surely someone must have! I mean they made a grumpy cat movie.

Edit: And it hosted RAW!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 22, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The Scribblenauts guys also got sued for putting in memes without permission. Trademarked memes are all around us http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-02-warner-bros-and-5th-cell-hit-by-keyboard-cat-nyan-cat-lawsuit

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Nyan Cat creator speaks out, says WB "disrespected and snubbed" them, so it had to come to this.

You couldn't make this poo poo up

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

GB was using a copyrighted Nyan Cat for a year after getting bought. That is the real reason it had to come off the wall.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

cheesetriangles posted:

GB was using a copyrighted Nyan Cat for a year after getting bought. That is the real reason it had to come off the wall.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I just remembered that the nyan cat website had to use a different sprite for like a year because of a copyright by some dweeb. I love the internet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The principal loving feature of Nyan Cat is a copyrighted object! It's so insane and it makes me want to dedicate my life to climbing up the chain at the Pop Tart company just so I can sue that loving asshat.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Has anyone at GB said when the GOTY podcasts will start coming out?

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

ovaries posted:

Boxing day, according to Brad.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

ovaries posted:

I want to say they said the 26th on some video, but I cannot be certain.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

ovaries posted:

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Who cares about dumb poo poo like GB's terrible GOTY choices when we have the finale to Metal Gear Scanlon 2 coming

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wonder when they will do Metal Gear Scanlon 3: Drew Eater(Gluten Free).

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
I've never played a Metal Gear game so I'm excited to see this crazy ending.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait the whole game takes place on that oil rig? gently caress I've been waiting for Drew to get out of there.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

The principal loving feature of Nyan Cat is a copyrighted object! It's so insane and it makes me want to dedicate my life to climbing up the chain at the Pop Tart company just so I can sue that loving asshat.

Also, the song is a Miku song so yamaha or sega our whoever have rights to use it in some form. It was in project diva f

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

does anyone know what song is being played in the preview before they launch the game in the project diva F QL

heres the link it's in the first minute of the video http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-hatsune-miku-project-diva-f/2300-7933/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

does anyone know what song is being played in the preview before they launch the game in the project diva F QL

heres the link it's in the first minute of the video http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-hatsune-miku-project-diva-f/2300-7933/

Odds & Ends, I think

Sputty fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 22, 2014

• Locked thread