Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Gotta include it's twin, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbviNjxcnA8

Also voting this as most surreal unplanned moment in Giantbomb video content 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT9phj2OCwM

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A fine video. I myself am partial to Reggae Vampire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx00ni_UaSQ

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Did anyone post about how Elder Scrolls Online is going to be a $60 game + $15/month subscription + a cash shop because :aslol:

I really want to hear Jeff's take on that.

My buddies trying it say that it feels more like a co-op Skyrim than a MMO but c'mon, in our fiscal year of Luigi you can't do that poo poo anymore. Hope they have a insane lifetime subscription you can buy (only before the game is out of Beta)!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ride to Hell was just some poo poo indie game, it's not nearly on the same scale as those others.

It's one thing to be a terrible game. It's another entirely to be a very long terrible game. The other ones were more angry making, while Ride to Hell was more of a "what were they thinking?" sort of bad.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

When even Jenny McCarthy bails on something as bullshit you gotta give that a rest.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Also "Next Car Game" is Bugbear's failed Kickstarter game. They should really come up with an actual name there.

E: f, b

"The Next Exciting Car Game in the Saints Row Franchise"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Third screen gaming. Boom.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't someone made a rotary smartphone? Hipsters would love it.

Not hipster enough. It would have to be a service where you pick up your bluetooth candlestick telephone headset and ask the operator to dial the number for you.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

I'm glad this product died and I hope its creator did too

ha ha, when the company who is making this failed product names themselves "John Doe Amsterdam", you are just doing the headline writers work for them.

VVVV http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/johns-phone-review-the-worlds-simplest-cellphone/

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo is Next Car Game amazing to play. The Steam Early Access thing has both the races and the test course with pachinko machine and other weird devices and it's probably one of the first real "next gen" feeling things I've experienced. Runs smooth as butter on a not quite top of the line machine too.

Also Patrick just tweeted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ifYunhT7s

It must be a shame being born a couple decades too late to be one of the main characters in Galaxy Invader. Bending down mid-video to spit out a little chaw really puts the bow on that one.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

Make sure to ask brad why he is bad at games to his face.

If this thread is any indication, if you just say "Brad is bad at games" three times in a mirror or on a forum Brad will appear in person wherever you are.

Since Rorie is the outside contact guy, you might want to message him on the site or twitter or something to ask if visiting would be possible.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tempo 119 posted:

Maybe a slightly dumb question but is the "oo the ell are you" lady in AC Liberation doing a straight French accent really badly, or is it some historically-accurate Colonial American proto-accent? It's hard to tell what they did or didn't bother to research in that series.

I think they are speaking in a Cajun/Creole dialect, there should probably be some kind of Zydeco playing in the background to really sell it.

Also thought it was funny to have Brad saying that it was kind of novel to have a non-evil stepmother character for a change because she turns out to be the big bad templar at the end

Thought Liberation ended a little abruptly, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of Aveline's adventures. Aveline is pretty much a Batman character but the disguise stuff and her growing her father's business is kind of a nice addition to the series.

Like the Vita Killzone game, they feel a little bit like Sony saying "hey, we can replicate the console experience competently on a handheld!", but could use a bit more fleshing out to be truly great.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

La-Mulana is Spelunky on Steroids, Fans of the Genre Won't Want to Miss This!

You're not wrong, it's in their wheelhouse.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

He lives in poverty on purpose and that including putting his family in dangerous situations in garbage neighborhoods like with the dog attack. He's actively against making money or...something. Every review I've seen with him makes him seem more than a little unhinged.

Ah ha ha, it's that guy. I remember the thread talking about him years ago.

Hint for that guy: Steam sales aren't just to make money. They put your game back on the front page of one of the most looked-at storefronts on the internet for a day or two. If you're not adding DLC or new content, steam sales are the only way to get advertising for your game.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'd rather my work get played by people who only kinda care than no one playing it or caring about it.

"What's that? Steam doesn't track the percentage of people who have downloaded the game and "really get it"? Well fuuuuck you then Steam"

*Goes back to sadly masturbating while reading Catcher in the Rye.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

No UPF tonight?

Should be at 3:30. Did they ever announce when a sale on memberships was gonna go in? Tired of being half a member.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

*Picks up a mop and a broom*

Drew: "Is this UHF?"

I love drew.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

"This show needs an enema"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

What are the big name Microsoft exclusives at this point, anyway? Gears, Halo, Forza? Dead Rising 3 is kinda one but there's precedent for that series on other platforms.

I think Blinx the time cat is due for a reboot.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Just want to say that I also can not wait for the next PowerBombCast after tonight. Because holy poo poo. I've never seen a crowd turn on an entire event so quickly before.

What happened?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Another Person posted:

To be honest, if space pizza landed in my yard the first thing I would do is call the Bomb Squad too. Jeff would be stoooooked.

When there's no dominos in your town you have to take desperate measures.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

It is entirely possible and likely to have terrible pizza due to low quality dough, sauce, cheese, etc.

Jackie D posted:

But seriously gently caress Papa Johns

"As an apology for our pizza, here is 2 oz container of garlic oil to try to smother our mediocre pizza with"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This looks as bad as the Silver Dollar Xbox Arcade games.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Veib posted:

There's a bunch of stuff being said about zombies all over in the recent years, and some of the most common ideas people are throwing around is that it's a an easy Other to which you can project your fears about things bigger than you like the global economic recession, diseases like bird and swine flu (AIDS in the '80s), overpopulation (especially in places that aren't near you), lack of personal connections in the technological world, illegal aliens coming to eat you and steal your jobs in the process, and so on. It's a fictional apocalyptic representation for fears that might not be purely apocalyptic but are very real. It's easy to use in multiple ways because they're so empty on its own. Dracula has a personality, a zombie doesn't.

Then there's the criticism of consumer capitalism coming from things like Dawn of the Dead (it literally takes place in a mall, just like Dead Rising) and continuing in for example World War Z (the book), with buyers as mindless consumers hoarding whatever they can get their hands on. Workers are also mindless drones with no individuality, but the ones without work are in an even worse position, so there's societal cultural anxiety of just surviving in modern capitalism. I just read a short story that made a not-so-subtle connection between zombies and homeless people (as well as zombies and low-info voters).

But the zombie apocalypse happening also shatters this society, so some people see it as an escapist liberation fantasy from that very anxiety that gives them the chance to start over again and be a powerful leader in a time of crisis. And related to that zombies are also a very easy Other for personal violent fantasies, which then leads us to all the racism with survival nut zombie targets that represent black people to them (like that loving Obama zombie target).

Of course not everyone doing zombie stuff is saying all of these things and to some it's just a currently popular thing to make money with, but the craze did not start from nowhere. Like right now it's going on with the momentum of it going on and people hopping along, but there's a cultural push somewhere that made it happen, whatever you think it is or isn't.

It's also obviously nothing new per se, but there's a reason somewhere zombies are so loving huge right now. There were fuckloads of zombie movies in the '70s and '80s, but there were no zombie walks or zombie versions of Jane Austen novels (it loving sucks, btw). It wasn't as pervasive throughout the entire spectrum of (popular) culture before.

All in all it's a lot more nuanced and interesting phenomenon than video game zombies usually make it look like.

(also I legit did not know "zombie zeitgeist" is a phrase people actually use, I thought I just made it up for that post, gonna start using it now, also gonna stop posting about zombies after this sorry about the derail)

e: Also my favorite thing about zombies is the utterly amazing "so bad it's good" camp value of '70s-'80s zombie movies, most newer stuff is just boring.

Yeah, zombies went from being a way to criticize Civil Rights-Reagan era politics to being what aliens were back in the 90s-a humanoid character that players shouldn't feel any moral confliction with killing in droves. There also tends to be a "smart/geeky people will survive a zombie apocalypse" thing that seems to be the main driver of zombie related stuff in pop culture, sort of a undead spin on The Revenge of the Nerds.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Man, it looks like Jeff has lost a lot of weight even since then. Good on him.

I went on a strict diet/exercise regimen the week after Ryan died, and I've managed to lose around 60 pounds until now. I know it's lovely that it took something like that for me to get my act together, but I'm glad I did :)

Remember everybody swearing to get healthier back then, good to see that some good has come out of it.

I wonder if it is the lack of the "right kind of pizza" in Petaluma that helps Jeff keep off the pounds. Easy access to cheap and bad fast food really does make a difference.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't understand why Jeff is so against patching in Patrick via Skype when it seems to work fine every time it's done.

Jeff is the cruel overlord that the rebel Vinny must overthrow to become the true podcast master.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Kind of makes that Castle Doctrine dude look like a huge idiot, huh?

The story is the same for every drat game, too.

Well he may be making money maaaan, but did the people buying actually savor the game?

Answer is probably yes and if they don't play it right away, they'll probably get around to it eventually.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

This is completely true, though it should be noted you're unlikely to find another podcasting trio that has been working together for as long as they have. You can tell they know exactly what to expect out of one another with regard to timing.

The Hulk Hoagan/Andre the Giant slashfiction bit they have on their sampler was putting on a clinic when it comes to comic timing and improvisation.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The gifs on that page are amazing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Jazzpunk: the Goldeneye lifebar and "hit sound" were great touches.

I think I have to get this game now.

Edit:

Jeff Green also went to DICE this year. Jeff Gerstmann did too. Jeff Green said his employment would be announced sometime this week give or take. Coincidence? I think not!

I'd really love to see Jeff get back into the journalism side of things, I think he'd be a great fit with the bombcast guys.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kuno posted:

In the recent Jar Time, Jeff was making a fair bit of noise about having new people, like more than just a video guy.

Really whether that means much of anything, or if it comes off or anything like that who knows, and it is kind of a pointless area of speculation since absolutely none of us in this thread, (except Jeff and maybe Brad, I guess) really has the information to speculate

Somebody just needs to say "Brad is bad at games" three times into this thread and he will appear and go into detail on Giantbomb's hiring policies.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Is this the long awaited Mummies Alive and Sonic crossover I've been waiting for?

cronox2 posted:

It's a sad day when Tails is probably the best design of the bunch.

The most nebbishy Tails

"So nu, you want I should fly over to there with the tails on my tuchus?"

Also if Knuckles is not voiced by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson I will be very dissapointed.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 6, 2014

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dexo posted:

Sonic Underground was goddamn amazing you will not besmirch it's name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8PyAptfXY4

That's a pretty funny fan-made parody video, what did the real thing look like?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Danny: I was doing a stream of Haotoful Boyfriend
Rory: You were playing how to fool boyfriend?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

rudds posted:

I'm sorry what.

I could go for a 5 hour bravely default QL right about now.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Man, after reading the Polygon Lightning Returns review I reeeeallly want to see a Quick Look.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Why is GIANTBOMB having a livestream later about a VIDEO GAME instead of, I don't know, WORLD HUNGER?

Don't these guys know that there is something more important than their little computer games?

The Bombcrews REFUSAL to share my #FindKony2014 hashtag literally sickens me.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oscar and Golden Globe winning actress + multiple nominee Jennifer Lawrence was born in 1990

I dunno, I think it only adds to her....Mystique?

I'll just show myself out now.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Depths posted:

Oh my god this game is amazing.

Could you imagine the game engine from this with the character models from WWE Legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People upload free content at a rate where it's impossible to see most of it so why settle for a guy with a terrible voice being annoying

Bizarrely, that appears to be what makes youtube channels wildly popular nowadays (PewdiePie,etc.)

• Locked thread