Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

The T-Mobile website's confusing me. Was eyeballing a 3 line simple choice plan with unlimited data and earlier I could have sworn it said all three lines the data was slowed after 500mbs. Now it's only saying that's the case for lines 2 and 3 and the first isn't. :confused: I've been seriously considering switching over from AT&T but I really want my primary line to have the unlimited data without the throttling.

You pick the data tier on a per-line basis. So you select a 3-line plan and then you add unlimited data to one of the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

In a somewhat unexpected turn of events, it appears that T-Mobile is now targeting the check-cashing industry for the "uncarrier" experience. Today they announced they are launching a prepaid Visa debit card with very low fees for T-Mobile subscribers and generally low fees for non-subscribers, including free check deposits via smartphone for both. This card looks like it's one of the best prepaid debit cards around and will be a real boon for people who can't get a regular bank account for one reason or another, with estimated savings of up to $1500 in fees compared to using check cashing services.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

Cross-post from pre-paid thread:

Anyone do any international calling/texting on TMo prepaid?

I have a friend going to El Salvador for a few weeks, and she wants to be able to contact me. Does it just charge me extra per minute/text (less if I add the $10 international package)? Or do I need to have it set-up special?

edit: Additionally, I'm giving her my GSM Galaxy Nexus to use over there. Rumor has it that TMobile allows for international roaming on prepaid...could we activate one of my spare SIMs in it, throw some cash on it, and call it good, rather than purchasing a local SIM?

Here is T-Mobile's list of rates for US to international calls. It looks like El Salvador is $1.99/minute for calls. International texting is $0.10 per message to send and receive. It looks like you'd be much better off using Skype ($0.253/min), Google Voice ($0.19/min), or Vonage ($0.14/min on their pay as you go plan) for calling.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 27, 2014

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Some key details from the article: 50% of 2G-only areas upgraded by the end of the year, fully upgraded by "mid-2015" and 700 MHz A-block LTE deployment starting before the end of the year.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Vavrek posted:

That Nerd Plan looks like it was designed for me. Thank you, goninzo, for going through all that hassle and making the process clear. I have a few remaining questions:

Does the data plan use the full-speed 4G LTE tech?
Yes.

quote:

What is the roaming like? Is there roaming on the Nerd Plan, or is it (correctly) assumed that I'll basically never leave home? Any international coverage?
Domestic roaming for voice and text with AT&T at no charge but no data roaming. International roaming for voice and text is available, though the rates are very steep, and there's no data roaming.

quote:

The phone I want looks a little tricky to get without buying it in a T-Mobile store along with a regular plan: The Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Could I get one direct from a T-Mobile store, or would they refuse to sell me one without a plan? (Maybe if I had the starter kit from Wal-mart with me.) Or am I left to third-party sellers, looking at Swappa.com, that sort of thing?

I want the T-Mobile branded Note 3, the SM-N900T model, largely because of the explanation given here, that it works on a wider set of LTE bands.
I don't see why T-Mobile wouldn't want to sell you one, their latest drive is to get people to buy their phones up-front instead of subsidizing them.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Is there any place to see where T-Mobile has refarmed? Looks like airportal.de is down, any other place? I'm in a market with LTE, if that helps. And just to be certain, if 1900 has been refarmed for HSPA, I'll get HSPA (or maybe HSPA+?) on an unlocked AT&T phone, right?

I think these days you can just go by which areas have LTE. They do the refarm as part of the LTE upgrade. And yes, all AT&T phones should support HSPA on 1900 MHz.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is it true that buying the nerd plan sim online from walmart.com can be problematic? That's what some reviews suggest.

Is there a reason you'd prefer to buy from Walmart.com instead of T-Mobile's website?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Not always, though stuff like this does seem to happen occasionally. Usually it gets cleared up after a week or two. I'd call 611 and see if they can force your plan to renew and/or credit you your overage minutes back that you shouldn't have had to use.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="436708226"]
What is T-Mobile even doing with all these phones? Refurbishing them and filling insurance replacement requests with them?

Apparently there's a huge market for refurbished smartphones in China. I'd imagine the ones they don't use for insurance purposes get sent over there and resold.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Unlimited texts? No texts? What's up with texts

Texts are unlimited on the $30/5GB plan.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

That is fine, that feature has been a bust for me on my other phone - I can't receive MMS, and I've been told from others that there's a lot of noise/garbling when it's on.

Should I be worried about the lack of band 12 support?

Not unless you plan to keep your phone for more than 2-3 years. Band 12 hasn't launched yet and even most devices currently sold by T-Mobile themselves EDIT: DON'T support it. Without it you may get spottier rural coverage and worse indoor reception compared to devices that do have it (when it rolls out) but not any worse than what you would currently experience.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 30, 2014

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Burden posted:

I'm pretty sure you can roam on the $30 plan but it won't be with the good roaming where you get the .20 cents a minute, free text, and data. You would be charged per minute and text, and data is something crazy like $15 a megabyte. You can port it over, you will need the account number and the account holders last 4 of their social security number.

According to this page prepaid plans get no international data roaming at all.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Shoren posted:

If I got one of those cool $30/month unlimited data & test deals from Walmart what's the process for porting my Verizon number over to T-Mobile? I have the account number and last 4 of the social of the account holder, will I need to call T-Mobile or visit a store to do that?

IIRC as part of the online activation it asks you if you want to port a number or get a new one, so you do it then.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

T-Mobile USA revealed their LTE expansion plans for this year at Deutsche Telekom's Capital Markets Day. It's aggressive to say the least with lots of LTE in areas that currently have no native coverage and even some in areas with no roaming coverage. Here's hoping they can pull it off!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

nimper posted:

All it's missing is a drat LED flash.

Yeah, they added LTE and a front camera but still no flash? :psyduck:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

2) Generally just searching for info on them (both the phone and the carrier). GSMArena.com is a good place to search for phones, and Wikipedia lists the LTE bands in various lists. Apple lists the bands by model number on their website. No idea about Samsung, though it's probably there. I can tell you without even looking that you'll want to trade in the iPhone as it will not have LTE service and will have limited 3G.

According to that giant grid on the Wikipedia Galaxy S4 article it looks like the situation with it will be the same as the iPhone: no LTE and limited 3G. Here are the bands you want for T-Mobile, listed in order of importance:
  • 2G GSM/EDGE: 1900 MHz
  • 3G UMTS/HSPA: 1700/2100 MHz (a.k.a. "1700", "AWS", "Band IV", "Band 4"), 1900 MHz (a.k.a. "Band II", "Band 2")
  • 4G LTE: band 4, band 2, band 12
Band 12 LTE is fairly new so don't expect to find it on any models from last year or earlier. T-Mobile also only has the licenses to deploy it in certain areas (and even within those areas they may be blocked from using it by TV stations broadcasting on channel 51) so don't let its absence be a deal-breaker for you.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ruby idiot railed posted:

It's not a deal breaker, sure. But it is available on a selection of phones from last year:

Note 4
Note Edge
Nexus 6

New phones that officially support it:

Galaxy S6/S6 Edge
HTC One M9

No other phones officially support it. I wouldn't be worried about lack of Band 12 for this 2 year cycle.

I said don't expect it, not that you won't find it. :v: Also the Galaxy Avant, the (recently discontinued) Sony Z3 T-Mobile edition, and the (also recently discontinued) ZTE ZMax should be getting software updates soon to enable band 12.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

To get the ETF refund you need to trade in a phone, though it doesn't necessarily need to be your current main phone. So if you want to keep your current iPhone go through the junk drawer and find an old flip phone or hit up Craigslist for a used Galaxy S2 or something.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Deathlove posted:

Speaking of coverage maps, for the first time since getting on the nerd plan, I'm heading into Partner territory, according to the current coverage map (Galena, IL). I'm not expecting to blow the roof off, speed-wise, obviously, but will I have actual coverage for getting emergency phone calls? If not, what's a good way to just get coverage for overnight?

"Partner" coverage for prepaid is voice and text only. There are no limits on voice and text (beyond those in your plan) but you won't get any data. If you really need data you can probably find a pay-by-the-day AT&T prepaid plan but don't expect it to be cheap (GoPhone's is $5 for the SIM + $2 for voice/text "day pass" (expires at midnight) + $1 for 100 MB + $0.01 per 5 KB overage).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. If I'm currently in a grey 2G coverage area the expectation is that it will be changed to 4G ?

We are thinking of changing to T-Mobile because ATT is loving us to the tune of $175 a month right now.

Yes, it will get upgraded to 4G LTE. Earlier this year T-Mobile said that their entire 2G footprint would be upgraded 4G by the middle of the year though they appear to be somewhat behind on that front. Whatever you do I would not recommend switching before your area is upgraded unless you only need dumbphone service. Most 2G-only sites don't have working data and when it does work don't expect more than 100 kbps throughput with 1000+ ms ping times (basically useless beyond e-mail).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

fondue posted:

Don't trust the coverage maps. Our area is shown covered completely but half the village to the west of us is actually a dead zone.

Seconding that. If/when you do decide you want to switch use T-Mobile's Test Drive. They will mail you an iPhone 5S activated with unlimited data for free for one week. Try it out at home, work, school, roads you travel regularly, etc., wherever you frequently visit. Keep in mind that the iPhone has slightly worse reception than most other smartphones so if you get a weak signal in some places you might get a better one with a different phone (though if you get no signal don't assume a different phone will pick one up). The only catch is that you need to return your test drive phone to a corporate store (one that has a pink marker on this map) at the end if you don't want to keep the phone.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Uthor posted:

Holy poo poo, is TMobile awful in Iowa. I was roaming on Iowa Wireless along I-80 pretty much the entire way from the Mississippi to Des Moines (and 0 reception inside of Iowa 80, the World's Largest Truck Stop). I had decent reception downtown Des Moines, but spotty in the suburbs north of the city. On the plus side, my Moto X had excellent battery life because I wasn't using it for anything!

My friend's Virgin Mobile phone worked as expected the entire time except for little reception in the house we were staying at.

Yeah Iowa is weird for T-Mobile. They only have native coverage in Des Moines and most of the rest of the state is covered via a roaming agreement with Iowa Wireless which is a joint venture between T-Mobile and a consortium of local telcos. If you're on a postpaid plan you'll have unlimited data roaming on the iWireless network (unlike the crappy 50mb limit on AT&T data roaming) but I don't know if prepaid gets any data since there's normally no data roaming for prepaid at all.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ryangs posted:

Is anyone else pissed off by the incredibly low domestic data roaming caps? When I'm on vacation in an area where I'm roaming on AT&T, I hit the 50MB limit almost immediately. (At least my cap is up to 100MB now that I'm on the 10GB family plan. Great.)

Is there any clever way around this? Or do I just need to learn to turn cellular data off when roaming?

The problem is that until last year, IIRC, there were no regulations specifying what were valid rates for carriers to charge competitors for domestic data roaming so AT&T was seriously ripping them off. T-Mobile actually forced the FCC to make rules regarding that (for example now it can't be too far out of line from what they charge MVNOs and foreign operators) but I don't know if T-Mobile had been able to negotiate a new roaming deal with AT&T under those rules.

The only thing you can do about it in the short term is to get an AT&T prepaid MVNO SIM if you're planning to go to an area you know doesn't have T-Mobile coverage.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

effika posted:

How is T-Mobile roaming? I am considering switching from Sprint, where I never think about roaming since it's unlimited (and a good thing too). Since Sprint often roams on Verizon I can get signal anywhere, usually. Does T-Mobile roam well, or is it more location-dependant?

T-Mobile's domestic roaming is very limited. For the most part voice and text service will roam onto AT&T if you're in a market without native T-Mobile service (though keep in mind that market areas can be pretty large so there may be a fairly large gap of no signal between losing T-Mobile and picking up AT&T). Data service does not roam at all for prepaid and only roams to AT&T between 50 and 100 megabytes for postpaid (depending on your plan). T-Mobile does have a few regional carriers they have unlimited data roaming agreements with (IIRC the largest one is iWireless in Iowa) but most of them don't have LTE service (and in some cases are still only 2G).

tl;dr: don't get T-Mobile if you're not sure you will have native coverage everywhere you plan to be regularly, or at the very least use their test drive offer to check your actual coverage.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 26, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You can find T-Mobile's international rates here. Note that on the $30 nerd plan you won't be able to use their international calling add-ons so you'll be paying the "pay per use" rates. If you make more than a few minutes worth of international calls per year it would make more sense to use a service like Skype or Google Voice to place those calls instead.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Youtube has now been added to Binge On. They also tweaked the program so that video providers who don't want to limit the quality of their streams can fully opt-out (so even if the user has Binge On active their connection to that provider won't be throttled).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

So, Android now has YT Music, which lets you listen to YouTube videos (with the video component disabled).

Is this included in the unlimited video, or audio? Or neither, as it's new?

I'm 90% sure it's included, but you may want to run a test just to be sure (check your T-Mobile data usage, stream for a few hours on cellular, and then check again).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can I use an unlocked, European iPhone 6 on MetroPCS? Their site seemed very vague about it when I checked and didn't include the 6 in their list of phones. I'm presuming they're not awful down here in S Florida as I see franchises everywhere, and I just want a few months off contract before I get a 7.

According to Apple's website it supports all of T-Mobile's bands except LTE band 12. That will limit your coverage indoors and in rural areas, you can set the coverage map on T-Mobile's site to exclude band 12 (click "Choose Device" and then select "my device is not in the list") which should give you an idea of the difference. I personally have an older device without band 12 myself and I don't have any converge issues, but as always YMMV. From what I've heard T-Mobile's coverage in Florida is very good.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rad, so everything that applies to T-Mobile applies to MPCS yeah? There was a similar takeover back home, but I don't know if they share equipment yet. Thanks for checking that, sounds like a go if it's clear down here.

Yeah, T-Mobile shut down the last vestiges of the legacy MetroPCS network last year. The only major difference between (postpaid) T-Mobile and MetroPCS service is that you won't get data service in "partner" areas (just like with all of T-Mobile's other prepaid brands).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

It's been 100mb/mo included for at least the 2 years I've been on the plan. Luckily tethering my iPad to my iPhone has never counted against the quota :cool:

As far as I can tell it's uncapped right now up to the 5GB limit (I've been having internet issues lately and I've used over 650 MB of tethering to my desktop with no effort made in hiding it) and includes Binge On for free Youtube/Netflix/etc. Sweetest deal out there.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Can you tether a device with Nerd Plan to another device for free, or is there an additional cost?

I have a 2Mbps conection through Time Warner that I pay $15/month for, and if I could just use the Nerd Plan for $30 for both phone and computer data instead, that would be super

Yes, up to your data limit. Once you hit the limit tethering stops working. Note that this is only their current policy and it has changed in the past (you used to only get 100 megs of tethering per billing cycle).

Also, Binge On and Music Freedom work with both the nerd plan and tethering so sites/services those apply to don't count towards your data cap, even when tethering.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 5, 2016

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

So if Nerd Plan has a 5gb cap that throttles down to 256kbps speed or whatever once you've used 5gb, you're saying that I can still use the slower speed on my phone, but not via tethering - correct?

As far as I know that's correct.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pretty sure binge on is not unlimited data for the nerd plan. It just gives you lower quality video but counts against your data cap (although it will generally count less than if you had been watching 720p video for obvious reasons)

Music freedom def works though.

I'm on the nerd plan and I just streamed a short Youtube video on my phone over LTE and it counted as "on-network data" but not as part of my "unlimited plan" (according to #932#). I'm pretty sure that's how it shows up when it doesn't count towards your data cap, though I've never come close to hitting my data cap so I guess I can't say for sure.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 5, 2016

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

On network data is the stuff that counts toward your limit.

No, "on network" number tracks the total amount of data you have used on T-Mobile's network. The "unlimited plan" number is what counts against your data limit. They show both because the "on network" number is what they use to decide when to deprioritize your data. Source (sorry I couldn't find a better one, this apparently isn't officially documented anywhere).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

redreader posted:

I'm on the t-mobile e-plan. My sim card is like 3-4 years old. Is there a possibility that it's not "fully up to date" in such a way that it's not giving me full speeds? I'm paying 30/month for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data (at top speed for first 5gb) so it seems like it's still about the best deal there is, unless the sim is somehow outdated?

The only issue with some older SIMs is that they don't support LTE, but if you're getting LTE and your service is working fine you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I'm thinking of getting an account on T-Mobile and had a quick question. I don't use my phone a lot, so I just want to do basically the cheapest plan, which looks to be the $45 prepaid plan. Is there a cheaper plan i'm not seeing? It's unlimited texts/calls and up to 4g's of data. I still get unlimited music streaming, right? I download everything on wifi and rarely go above 1gb. Also, am I able to buy an LG G6 from T-Mobile and still do prepaid, or do I have to be on their T-Mobile one service? I prefer to buy the phone outright and not lease things. Am I able to get insurance on a phone if i'm not leasing it?

If you only need 1 GB of data per month then Ting (depending on your voice and text usage) or Project Fi (if you have/can buy a compatible phone) might be better deals for you.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Toebone posted:

Is the $30 nerd plan still available through Walmart? I've got that plan now, and my wife wants to switch over to it too.

Nope. They closed it to new subscribers early this year. For alternatives, consider MintSIM (5 GB with unlimited talk+text on the T-Mobile network for $20/month right now, though you need to prepay for 3 or more months of service) or Cricket (5 GB (limited to 8Mbps) with unlimited talk+text on the AT&T network for $35/month with auto-pay discount).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 9, 2017

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

What will it mean for T-Mobile costumers? Increased coverage?

In the short term you can roam on Sprint's network if your device is compatible. :v: Longer-term T-Mobile gets Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum for rapid 5G deployment.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is there anywhere these days that Sprint out-covers TMobile?

Anywhere Sprint has 800 MHz deployed where T-Mobile doesn't have 700 MHz. But I'm not sure how many of those areas there are

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

-selling the dual screen Kyocera Echo. Google it.

What the gently caress???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0f4-FM95Q

(Note: that video came out only a year after the device launched.)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I haven't seen an official one.
http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

This looks to be sourced from information released by T-Mobile.

There's another unofficial map here. That one is based on official T-Mobile data that's hidden in one of their official maps (but not actually shown on the map).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Which specific model do you have? If it's not one with Band 71 getting a phone that supports that band may help. Otherwise the only thing you can do is report it to TMobile and hope they add a new tower or adjust an existing one to provide more coverage (or ask your employer to add a cellular signal booster).