Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
A question of my own: I am still on a Classic 1000 Minute Talk plan with Unlimited Nationwide 4G. What rules apply to me regarding tethering and domestic/international roaming?

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I am highly considering switching me + husband to T-Mobile because of the amazing ETF deal they have going on right now. But let me ask a couple questions. If we wanted unlimited data w/simple choice, is that $20 per line or is that $20 just charged once? I love the idea of $0 up front for a Gnex 5 too. However, if we both pay monthly for phones, then it might put the price close to what Verizon wants to charge.

$20 per line.

quote:

2 Lines Plan

$ 120 per month

Plus taxes, fees and monthly device payment

Line 1 / $ 70 month
Unlimited talk, text and web
Unlimited high-speed data on our network. Up to 2.5GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service.
International roaming
Line 2 / $ 50 month
Unlimited talk, text and web
Unlimited high-speed data on our network. Up to 2.5GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service.
International roaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Is there a chart of deductibles under JUMP?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Potentially bizarre question.

Can you have two family plans in one household?

My FIL has five lines on a family plan from T-Mobile. However my MIL wants to port her family plan from Sprint to T-Mobile and have them pay her ETF.

Would that work?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I'm on an old Classic 1000 Minute—Talk plan with Unlimited Nationwide 4G.

Is there any way for me to get a subsidized device anymore or is that option completely gone, even with Retentions?

Edit: Is there any reason for me to NOT just switch to a Simple Choice plan and can I do so freely? And am I still eligible for the AAA discount? Does enrolling in a Simple Choice plan lock me into a rate or does grandfathering no longer apply since it is not a contract?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 15, 2014

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Oh in that case I'll just keep my grandfathered plan if there's no distinct price advantage!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
My question from earlier wasn't answered so I guess I'll try again.

My father in law has a T-Mobile family plan, all lines are utilized.

My mother in law wants to port in a line from Sprint (nowhere near the end of the contract) onto her OWN family plan separate from his. Is she eligible for the ETF bonus? Or is she screwed because her husband has an existing T-Mobile plan?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
If you hit 10TB of data, T-Mobile should give you an award. Then throttle you from now on at 1 TB.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

b0nes posted:

I'm on T-Mobile prepaid, specifically the unlimited dada/100 minute pan. Is there any way for me to use Google Voice? Right now I only have access to a special number to check voicemail, and when someone leaves me a message I have to use some of my minutes to retrieve them.

I know you meant to type "unlimited data" but I'm imaging that T-Mobile now comes with avant-garde advertising.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
So uh.... What about AAA discounts? Do those stay in place if you had them for like.... Oh.. Years?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
So everyone is talking about this new extra 1GB of data that comes free with a new tablet purchase for existing customers.

Is that a perpetual free 1GB or do you start paying eventually?

And what if I had an existing free 200MB from an earlier tablet purchase?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Short answer is that it's only for the rest of 2014. This page explains it well.

Oh that's kind of boring then.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Nihiliste posted:

In my experience - and based on other anecdotes too - T-Mobile tends to be great once you're up and running, but a pain in the rear end if they botch some step in setting up your plan.

This is the case with every telecom service.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Old discounts are still grandfathered in as far as I know.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
https://www.harbormobile.com/

So what's the deal with this business that is apparently reselling the TMo corporate plan?

$60 a month for the unlimited everything plan?

Edit: Apparently not an MVNO and has roaming?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 3, 2014

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Kreeblah posted:

Don't they give you guys employee plans?

It's probably still more expensive than TMo. SOMEHOW

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Dr Tran posted:

I have a friend who makes mobile games and only uses a lovely flip phone.

Maybe he knows something we don't!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

FordPRefectLL posted:

They didn't transition you off of that? :psyduck:

I'm on the Classic 1000 Minute plan and they can take it from my cold dead hands. $173 a month for four lines all with unlimited text/data.

I figure they can always force price changes on the current plans. Keeping my grandfathered plan forever.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 6, 2014

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Is anyone here using a Z3C on the T-Mobile network? I'm under the impression it only lacks the capability to use a very specific small set of LTE bands that are only planned to have a very limited rollout.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
What if I was sixty years old and shopping for phones? :ohdear:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I meant more that with arthritis in the hands (in my mom's case) a giant phone is a severe liability.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Okay I have a quick question.

I'm currently a T-Mobile customer on one of the old legacy plans. So I'm "on contract." And I just came into possession of a Z3 Compact unlocked smartphone.

Basically, I just buy a nano sim from T-Mobile? Stick it in the phone? And then activate it through my online account?

So I could walk into a Walmart or wharves and just buy the sim there?

Edit: does it matter if the package says "Tablet Nano Sim?"

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 7, 2014

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Also an excellent plan

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I have a question. Are the old legacy plans essentially grandfathered in perpetuity?

Versus the new Simple Choice plans.... Are those prices set in stone? Or are there mechanisms for both legacy plans and the new plans that make them easily subject to price increases?

Like I wouldn't mind moving to Simple Choice....

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

heffray posted:

I'm not sure there's a legal requirement for grandfathering unless you're under contract, but T-Mobile has already done their biggest (yet) push to move customers off legacy plans and it was nearly always to equal or better plans at equal or better prices. A tiny handful of edge cases were a bit worse off, but most of those had customer service options to correct this. There are exceptions like $2.99 unlimited T-Zones that worked for smartphone internet for a while, but that wasn't a reasonable expectation anyway.

If Simple Choice is a better fit or price for you, you can pretty safely move to it. If T-Mobile totally changes course and screws you for as much money as possible with plan changes, grandfathered plans aren't any better than current ones (and are probably worse, since fewer customers would be affected and there'd be a bigger PR mess).

In most cases, Simple Choice or Nerd Plan are pretty good.

So basically a carrier is under no obligation to honor a monthly price once the actual two year contract is up?

And having a more up to date plan is actually far more beneficial for preventing a surprise price hike?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Why not just get an unlocked Moto E for $99 instead of all that rigmarole?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

FordPRefectLL posted:

The Avant's specs are a lot better than the Moto E (if you can get it for $100.)

IIRC you can get that price from Retentions

Though wasn't the Avant panned for being laggy despite the better specs versus the E?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 19, 2015

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Literally buy an old dumbphone on eBay with "Sprint" markings on it. As long as it turns on and "works"

My MIL handed in an old Sprint flip phone from a drawer somewhere. Probably from circa mid-2000s

Edit: ^^^ I believe it has to at least turn on

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Regarding the data stash plans...

Say I have four voice lines and one tablet data plan on TMo... Do all have the lines have to have eligible data plans (over 3GB of LTE)?

Like for example could I have:

Line 1: 4.5GB

Line 2: 4.5GB

Line 3: 2.5GB

Line 4: 2.5GB

Tablet: 1GB

Would Lines 1 and 2 and the tablet then have Data Stash enabled? Or would Lines 3 and 4 disqualify them?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Namlemez posted:

How much trouble is it to transfer in and get T-Mobile to do five ETFs? I'm eligible for a discount on the advantage plan but I have 5 lines all under an ETF with $$$ Sprint smartphones so it is like $1000+ which is a little nerve-wracking. I read about the switch2tmobile but I get the impression lots of people do it with cheap phones.

You'll be fine. You don't even need the Sprint smartphones themselves.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

WashinMyGoat posted:

My wife and I have been with T-Mobile for 4+ years. We have old non-smart phones, and an outdated plan. I lost my phone this weekend, so we are considering upgrading out phones and plans.

We both work in brick buildings with terrible phone reception, so I was wondering if the Wi-Fi calling is a legit solution for places with poor reception buy wi-fi connections (like our offices).

Also, how do they consider loyalty for customers in regards to having to buy a new phone? Most carriers with contracts offer "free phone with contract" and revisiting T-Mobile's plans shows some incredibly expensive phones if you buy through them. Do they wheel and deal and offer free phones if I'm considering switching to another carrier after 4 years of loyalty to T-Mobile?

If it makes you feel any better, buying the
Unlocked Moto E and Moto G are basically on the pricing level of "$99/$199 with a two year agreement" but those don't have WiFi calling.

Try calling retentions and see what they'll do for you on the plan though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
:catstare:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
With the Simple Choice family plans and the Data Stash rollover... Is the 20 GB stash shared between all the lines or is it a 20 GB stash per line?

I'm not sure if this is deliberately obtuse on their part.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Goddamn TMo you crazy but awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

TraderStav posted:

Any Chicagoons here? I am visiting and cannot get service in any of the buildings on north Michigan avenue, namely my hotel. I thought T-Mobile got through this issue or at least would roam on at&t. Is it a building penetration issue or a tower issue right here? Had perfect signal up in Lincoln Park and decent when outdoors in the loop area.

Frustrating anecdote: Giordanos on Navy Pier doesn't give you pagers, they only call or text you. Or course it's a dead zone there and at the children's museum so I was going to have to check in every five or ten minutes because of that. Got lucky though and a table came open when I went to preorder but that really made the poor service a PITA.

Why the hell are you not at Lou Malnati's