Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dol
Feb 16, 2007

peeNamaste posted:

When it arrives, about how much $$$ am I looking to burn to get caught up on DLC?

I use Japan Codes for buying Japanese PSN cards. As far as the cost; they have not announced the price for each suit or whether they will be sold in a bundle. So we have to wait and see on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
They generally bundle up the DLC when it gets "old", like they just did for the launch DLC. I am buying all of those suits at full price though I don't give a SINGLE gently caress

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

I too am going to buy them all the instant they are available.

Thought I'd have to wait until at least the console release of Maxi Boost to get to play Banshee Norn so having it in Full Boost is a welcome surprise.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peeNamaste posted:

My copy is still on it's way to me. When it arrives, about how much $$$ am I looking to burn to get caught up on DLC?

A lot but half of it is just navigators that pop up in the corner while you're playing; if you really like having Fakus Clyne pop up in your window and squeak at you when you're playing Athrun it's worth sixbux I guess. The actual suits you can get for about $50 US plus whatever the new ones cost when they're released, so probably $75 total.

The 8000 yen DLC is the game plus some Unicorn DLC.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So Cagalli is back? Are they going to recycle her voice or will she have a new lines? We know about the Naomi Shindoh debacle on why she didn't reprise her role

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what debacle? all I know is that she stopped voicing cagalli

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
The soonest date for my import to arrive is in only 2 more days! I feel like I've been waiting forever. I hope it arrives closer to the early date than the late date, which is August 20th :negative:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Speak of the Devil Gundam it's here!

Add me so we can fight giant roberts. SHAMEFURDISPURAE

Also, I know this game has custom soundtracks, but how do I do that? I copied an mp3 onto my ps3 hard drive but it's not showing up in the song selection area. I wanna blow up roberts to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_HsjpSVaI

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Question, do you need a Japanese PSN account to play Extreme Vs., or Full Boost?

Also, does anyone even play regular Extreme Vs., or is EVERYONE on Full Boost now? Because one of them is like 60-70 dollars, and the other is 20 bucks shipped. So, you know. You can imagine my hesitance to go all in from the get-go with that kind of price difference.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yalborap posted:

Question, do you need a Japanese PSN account to play Extreme Vs., or Full Boost?

You don't need a Japanese PSN account to play either though you would need one to buy DLC.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Midjack posted:

You don't need a Japanese PSN account to play either though you would need one to buy DLC.

You need one to play multiplayer because of the online pass.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

You need one to play multiplayer because of the online pass.

Well poo poo. I forgot about that for Full Boost.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Does Extreme Vs. regular require a pass? And can you do local network play, or only online and splitscreen?

Sorry for all these questions, guys, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to find a lot of concrete info on these things in English.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yalborap posted:

Does Extreme Vs. regular require a pass? And can you do local network play, or only online and splitscreen?

Sorry for all these questions, guys, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to find a lot of concrete info on these things in English.

Regular extreme vs does not require a pass.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Extreme VS is also honestly kind of outdated and clunky compared to FB, as well as having close to half the selectable characters. A lot of paid DLC in EXVS you get for free in EXVSFB. And no, noone is still playing EXVS online.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If you want EXVSFB info, http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/forum/273-gundam-extreme-versus/ is the best english resource there is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I finally had the free time to really sit down and learn how to play this game. Cleared the X Divider's arcade route, it was a pretty interesting experience. Turns out being able to drop Satellite Cannons on demand makes killing giant bosses really easy. :v:

Except the Zakrello. That drat thing was a demon.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Has there been any info on whether or not Maxi Boost is going to get ported to consoles?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

If it will be it wont be for a year or two, so they can have people sink money into to the arcade version.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Demicol posted:

If it will be it wont be for a year or two, so they can have people sink money into to the arcade version.

Also have to develop the next release to announce the day Maxi Boost gets the console release.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Midjack posted:

Also have to develop the next release to announce the day Maxi Boost gets the console release.

I will never stop being frustrated at this model, but I keep coming back.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I've known this game had custom soundtracks since I got it, so I'm a little surprised I didn't think to do this until today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu2KLuihmFo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Play-Asia currently has the Japanese version of Full Boost on sale for $37 US before shipping.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Hey guys, sorry to dig up this thread.

If I wanted to play this game with friends 2v2, would each person need their own PS3 and tv?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yes.
And since the thread is alive again, I noticed there's been a lot of new DLC since I last played, should I avoid or definitely get any of them?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also interested, is there a master list of what the cool dlc is? Not so much reskins, but actual new suits I hope

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mostly clones. There's no full list I can find so I'll make one:
    Doan's Zaku II
    Zaku II High Mobility (Johnny Ridden)
    Zaku II High Mobility (Shin Matsunaga)
    Titans Mk II (Kamille)
    Acguy (Haman)
    Zeta Gundam (Roux)
    Zeta Zaku
    Mk II (Elle)
    Re-GZ (Chan)
    Victory Gundam Hexa (Marbet)
    Wing Zero (Quatre)
    Altron
    Gundam X (Garrod)
    Silver Sumo (Poe)
    Infinite Justice (Lacus)
    Impulse (Lunamaria)
    Gaia (Andrew)
    Strike Rouge Ootori (Cagalli)
    GN-XIII (Patrick)
    Banshee Norn (Riddhe)

RX-79[G] (Shiro)
    Gelgoog (Gato)
    Gold Frame Amatsu Custom (Mina)
    Xi Gundam (Maft-haha it's Hathaway)
I bolded anything I thought was actually worth buying and 'unique'. I really like a lot of the clone units though!

Of note: None of the DLC units are really shaking up the tier list at all. Most of the 'reskinned' units generally are reduced cost units (Lacus' Infinite Justice, Luna's Impulse, Elle's Zeta, Garrod's Gundam X, Andrew's Gaia, Poe's Sumo, Gato's Gelgoog) which makes them actually weaker overall than the normal version, though useful for weird team compositions. A few have different attack animations and stuff too which is fun, notably's Kamille's Mk. II which is all about curbstomping folks and laughing. Haman's Acguy is the same way, she gets psychoburst which owns. Johnny and Shin's Zaku IIs don't play anything like Bernie's but the two themselves aren't too different from one another. Pick one if you like Zakus, Ridden is probably a better choice. Banshee Norn is god drat ridiculous and as far as I know, top tier. Definitely top tier in Maxi Boost, whenever we get that on disc.

If enough folks are interested and have online passes I'll play.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for compiling this.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Mostly clones. There's no full list I can find so I'll make one:
    Doan's Zaku II
    Zaku II High Mobility (Johnny Ridden)
    Zaku II High Mobility (Shin Matsunaga)
    Titans Mk II (Kamille)
    Acguy (Haman)
    Zeta Gundam (Roux)
    Zeta Zaku
    Mk II (Elle)
    Re-GZ (Chan)
    Victory Gundam Hexa (Marbet)
    Wing Zero (Quatre)
    Altron
    Gundam X (Garrod)
    Silver Sumo (Poe)
    Infinite Justice (Lacus)
    Impulse (Lunamaria)
    Gaia (Andrew)
    Strike Rouge Ootori (Cagalli)
    GN-XIII (Patrick)
    Banshee Norn (Riddhe)

RX-79[G] (Shiro)
    Gelgoog (Gato)
    Gold Frame Amatsu Custom (Mina)
    Xi Gundam (Maft-haha it's Hathaway)
I bolded anything I thought was actually worth buying and 'unique'. I really like a lot of the clone units though!

Of note: None of the DLC units are really shaking up the tier list at all. Most of the 'reskinned' units generally are reduced cost units (Lacus' Infinite Justice, Luna's Impulse, Elle's Zeta, Garrod's Gundam X, Andrew's Gaia, Poe's Sumo, Gato's Gelgoog) which makes them actually weaker overall than the normal version, though useful for weird team compositions. A few have different attack animations and stuff too which is fun, notably's Kamille's Mk. II which is all about curbstomping folks and laughing. Haman's Acguy is the same way, she gets psychoburst which owns. Johnny and Shin's Zaku IIs don't play anything like Bernie's but the two themselves aren't too different from one another. Pick one if you like Zakus, Ridden is probably a better choice. Banshee Norn is god drat ridiculous and as far as I know, top tier. Definitely top tier in Maxi Boost, whenever we get that on disc.

If enough folks are interested and have online passes I'll play.

Groovy. I'll need to get an online pass and some of the DLC.

I'm probably gonna try and get Doan's Zaku, Johnny's Zaku, Titans MK II, Re-GZ, Altron, Banshee Norn, RX-79[G], Xi and Gato's Gelgoog. How much are they each? 500 yen? That's 4500 yen worth of DLC, jeez.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm probably gonna try and get Doan's Zaku, Johnny's Zaku, Titans MK II, Re-GZ, Altron, Banshee Norn, RX-79[G], Xi and Gato's Gelgoog. How much are they each? 500 yen? That's 4500 yen worth of DLC, jeez.

Yea, it depends on the unit but they're all 411 yen or 514 yen each with the exception of two units.

I have a few I want to grab, but I'm still holding off on them until I start playing online with people lol.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gammatron 64 posted:

The newer batch (Gundam X, Altron, Gold Frame, Strike Rouge, Banshee Norn, Re-GZ) are that much, I think? The older releases dropped in price a little bit.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I forgot to update this thread with DLC impressions! Maybe this will get the train rolling again. :justpost:

Doan's Zaku II - Probably the worst unit in the game, but pretty drat hilarious. No rifle or munitions of note, only 3 weapons: a small rock, a larger rock, and summoning the RX-78s Core Fighter to barrage with machine gun fire (same as the 5AC RX-78 assist). What this amounts to is a unit with VERY low ammo that does VERY little damage and reloads VERY slowly. Its melee damage is ok, but if you manage to get melee then you earned it. EX burst attack is a single punch that does ridiculous amounts of damage and sends the opponent flying, very satisfying to end a round with. Absolutely terrible unit but really funny.

Zaku II High Mobility (Johnny Ridden) - Johnny's Zaku has a machine gun, bazooka, cracker grenades, and a command dash that can be followed up with melee for a launcher. The grenades operate under the same rules as all other Zaku grenades and can have ranges changed accordingly. The command dash isn't incredibly useful for approach, but surprisingly good for zoning: dashing while in red lock out of red lock range then cancelling to a weapon fires that weapon as if it was redlocked: meaning his bazooka and machine gun have better tracking at range than some would expect. Not too special of a unit over all though. Shin's Zaku trades that for a Zaku assist which is probably better overall. If you're upset that Char's Zaku II is only in Maxi Boost then this can kind of hold you over.

Re-GZ (Chan) - 1000 cost. Very unique: starts combat in a mobile armor mode that allows it to fly around freely. This allows the Re-GZ to harass in the early game mostly risk free. However when MA mode ends, she cannot reenter it. This leaves you as a rather mediocre Zeta Gundam more or less, though you won't have most of Kamille's fun tools.

Victory Gundam Hexa (Marbet) - It's the same as Victory Gundam, but the assist attack does not stun like Uso's Victory can. Still has the same infinite ammo subweapons, movement and options otherwise. Even as a Victory Gundam main I don't really see the point in choosing her over Uso, so I guess it's anime accurate??

Altron - I don't think anyone likes this character but his suit is pretty popular online. If you've played Dragon Gundam at all you know what to expect from his melee game: stay at mid range and poke/annoy. Altron however has a standard rifle shot as one of his sub weapons which can be nice, and a naginata toss which can stun really fast. His primary gimmick is his movement: canceling his 2B allows him to hop insanely fast across the field and hound enemies relentlessly. Pretty solid at rushdown, though it's really not my type of unit.

Gundam X (Garrod) - A clone unit with pretty notable differences! Costs the same at 2500 but you get some major bang for your buck. By default he has a rifle and bazooka like the RX-78, but his CSb is a once-per-life G-bit summon that fires a satellite cannon. His A+C is the Gundam X's own personal satellite cannon, and it recharges pretty rapidly. B+C changes the Gundam X into the X-Divider configuration that is already in game. All of Jamil's movement rules apply exactly the same. Unfortunately while the machine gun and harmonica weapons operate the same, they are slower and not quite as useful, as GX cannot use the bazooka to cancel movement. This means you have to waste harmonica subs to brake cancel which don't reload quickly! As far as I can tell you swap into this while waiting for normal GX mode ammunition and then get back into the satellite game. Overall really fun!

Infinite Justice (Lacus) - Lacus can summon her christ-like boyfriend to do her job for her with an assist and EX burst. Copies a lot of the normal Infinite Justice's moveset, though slower, with less ammo and far less HP. Pretty good for a 1000 though.

Impulse (Lunamaria) - Did you play Shinn's Impulse and think it cost too much for what it was? Lunamaria is here with slightly less HP and the loss of a cancel or two to save the day. Her EX burst remains calling out for Shinn to tackle the enemy with the Destiny.

Strike Rouge Ootori (Cagalli) - Really fun suit, probably my favorite of the DLC units I have. Has Gun-EZ esque assists, a good rifle with great cancels, a pretty good gerobi with CSa and a really lovely missile attack. 2B is a anti-ship sword toss that has no ammunition and stuns. Does solid damage for a 2000 but is extremely versatile.

GN-XIII (Patrick) - Suitably goofy. Plays like most 'mobile' 1000s: light on tools but good at pestering. His EX burst attack is a suicide attack that drops him to 1HP. Shouts out for his captain to save him when combo'd which is pretty funny. Definitely worth it if you liked Patrick at all in 00.

Banshee Norn (Riddhe) - God drat ridiculous. Does lots of damage, has good movement options and cancels, and that's before Unicorn mode. I'm not sure if I like it more than the regular Banshee in gameplay but I don't really like any of the Unicorn designs so yeah.

RX-79[G] (Shiro) - Mostly the same as the Ez-8 as far as I can tell. I'm not a huge fan of the Ez-8 so maybe someone else can pipe up some info.

My JP PSN is musoumatt, my connection is probably not the best but I am still eager to play this game!

I've been playing a bunch and am willing to do a minor mechanics/movement write up if anyone is interested, though I'm not really an expert player myself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'd be interested. I'm enthusiastic but terrible at this game and the guides I find seem to assume some knowledge about fighting games that I lack.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Midjack posted:

I'd be interested. I'm enthusiastic but terrible at this game and the guides I find seem to assume some knowledge about fighting games that I lack.

Do you have any specific thing or terminology in particular you're confused about so I can try to clear it up? Or should I just start with movement and move on to other mechanics in sequence?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Do you have any specific thing or terminology in particular you're confused about so I can try to clear it up? Or should I just start with movement and move on to other mechanics in sequence?

Single unit handling I'm generally OK on outside of cancelling out of moves, but the teamwork part I really fall down on.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Midjack posted:

Single unit handling I'm generally OK on outside of cancelling out of moves, but the teamwork part I really fall down on.

Okay, I'll try to do a simplified rundown of how the team mechanics work. Due to how open the game field is and how many units and compositions there are it is honestly impossible to cover every example, so I'll keep the theory as broad as possible. I will assume that readers are familiar with the cost system, lock-on, overheat and basic mechanics here. If any clarification is needed let me know, writing this stuff is fun.

Remember: Gundam EXVS, and by extension every fighting game, is all about positioning at the core. Keep track of your opponents and your allies by changing targets every now and then. Try to stay close to your friend, just in case they are in danger!

The first part improving your teamwork is knowing how your team composition should work. Common team structures are built around the concept of front and back: where the "front" unit pushes forward with movement and weaponry to attempt and corner the enemy team, and the "back" unit stays a bit further away from combat to help keep opponents from double teaming the front unit. The game's design makes 2 vs 1 combat extremely bad for the isolated player, so it's very important that both players are aware of each other's situation.

Front units are often very powerful, versatile or melee focused units. They will have movement options and weapons that allow them to push forward and deal tons of damage if the opponents slip up. Most 3000s and many 2500s qualify for the "front" role. When I say "push and deal damage" I don't mean charge recklessly into combat and get yourself killed, but rather push the opponents into a position where both you and your partner can dish out the hurt. In gameplay this means forcing the opponents to keep dodging and dashing so they run out of Boost meter, so that you and your partner can attack the opponent as they land: their most vulnerable state.

Common Front examples: 00 Quanta, Wing Zero, Strike Freedom, God Gundam, etc.

Back units have a more broad definition of what they can and should do. Their job is to support the front unit by laying down fire so that the opponents are forced to keep moving. This does not mean fire randomly outside of red lock-on, but instead try to find openings where the opponent tries to counterattack and shut it down. The Back should also have his/her eye on the opponents Back suit, making sure it cannot push forward to force a deadly 2 vs. 1 on the Front. It goes without saying that if the opportunity presents itself (ex: the enemy Back is stunned, knocked down, incapacitated) that you should attempt to 2 vs. 1 the enemy Front. The other very important job of the Back unit is "Cutting". Cutting occurs when the opponent has caught your partner in an attack string: you attack the opponent to make sure his attack ends and your ally can escape.

Common Back unit examples: Dynames, Cherudim, RX-78, Gunner Zaku Warrior, etc.

Cost/Health Management:
Death is expected in this game, and as a general rule Front units should always die first in a match. This comes with the territory but absolutely should happen for 2 reasons: 1) Front units tend to cost more. This means that the Front player will return to combat with full health and ammunition, as they don't have to worry about Overcost. The burden of Overcost usually falls on the Back unit, but as they are keeping further away from combat anyways, this will not effect your formation as highly.

Front/Back Meter Usage:
Always do your best to activate your EX gauge once per life, no matter what. There's no reason to sit on it unless you have <100hp or something, and even then it is questionable. Executing your EX burst (unless you're escaping from a combo with it) is basically screaming I AM COMING FOR YOU and you can reasonably expect the opponents to reply in kind by either using their own EX burst or trying to get the hell out of dodge. As a Front, you should activate when you are ready to make that money and go for the kill. As a Back, your activation time depends, though activating at the same time as your partner is ill advised unless multiple opponents activate. By waiting, you ensure that your teams cumulative activation time is effectively doubled, meaning that you can pressure that much longer. Backs are suggested to start pushing closer/harder for the duration of the Front's EX activation, and of course push when they have activated.

Now for all those :words: I wrote, it's pretty hard to apply a lot of this in shuffle play, but similar theories still work. If you see a partner rushing in with God Gundam/Extreme Xenon (you'll see this a lot) and you're the Freedom for example, you should probably back down and let him rush in a bit (letting him take the Front). You can start trying to pick off opponents that are likely going to double lock him. By doing that, you should be able to distract one of the opponents enough to turn it into a 1 vs. 1. This is fortunately where God/Extreme Xenon thrive and you can hit/away until he/she is done making that money. Learning to keep track of your ally's situation, tracking EX gauge usage and understanding when to push the enemy and when to give them space are all skills that come with practice, but will definitely help you become a better player.

Hopefully that helps a little bit. I can try to get into more specifics if I know which suits are being played but that is the game at its core.

Dj Meow Mix fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 23, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gonna make a big ol' basics post for people that are just getting started at the game. A lot of guides seem to make some assumptions that the player has at least a little experience, so hopefully this primer can help someone out and ease them into the slightly more advanced movement/attacking methods. I won't delve into melee combat or suit specifics here, just trying to keep it general.

Breaking It All Down: The Basics

quote:

Controls and Terminology
Stick/Dpad:
Pressing and holding a direction will cause the suit to turn and move in that direction. Double tapping a direction rapidly will make the unit Sidestep. This is a small movement that can cancel other actions and also breaks hostile attack guidance. This will be covered later. You can also press down, then up rapidly to block, negating incoming damage from the front. Holding up will continue the block at the cost of more boost meter.

Buttons:
  • A - (Default: Square) Shoots a rifle or some equivalent for a majority of suits in the game. Often referred to in guides as the BR, standard A button shots are a key poking tool and deal decent damage, generally able to be followed up with other weapons for bigger damage.
  • B - (Default: Triangle) Attacks with a melee weapon, changes based on the suit. Pressing it in sequence will lead to a combo, in most cases topping out at three hits. By holding a direction and pressing B, you can get different melee attacks, similar to tilt attacks in Super Smash Bros. All suits have a standard melee combo and a different combo by holding left/right. Many suits have alternatives by pressing up or down as well. Pressing B while dashing often causes attacks that rush towards enemies quickly. All have varying uses and effectiveness.
  • C - (Default: Cross) Boost button. Pressing and holding C causes the unit to rise up into the air. Releasing C causes the unit to fall to the ground. Double tapping C quickly begins a Boost Dash (usually written as BD). By holding a direction and Boost Dashing, the suit will quickly move in that direction. Continuing to hold the C button with the second button press will cause the unit to keep moving forward at dash pace. Note that Boost Dash does not break hostile attack guidance. You'll be hammering this button more than anything else in the game.
  • D - (Default: Circle) Changes current target. As there are only two possible targets (outside of arcade/mission mode), this is very important for keeping track of not just your current opponent but also the location of others.

Button Combinations:
note: all combinations except ABC may have alternative attacks or variations by holding the d-pad or stick in different directions when used, similar to B attacks. this depends on the suit, so go read and experiment!
  • AB - (Default: R1) Subweapon combination. For many suits this is a bazooka or some equivalent. Quite a few suits can use this immediately after A by pressing A->AB rapidly. (For those unfamiliar with fighting games: this is called a cancel.)
  • AC - (Default: L2) "Special Shot" combination. Depends on the suit: in my experience a lot of suits use this for summoning assist units or firing large laser beams (or: Gerobi). Just like AB, it is possible to cancel into this from A attacks more often than not.
  • BC - (Default: R2) "Special Melee" combination. Again: very suit reliant. Suits with transformations, large weapons or unique dashes will often use this to activate them. Some times assist attacks can be put here too, depending on the tool kit.
  • ABC - (Default: R3) Extreme Burst Activation. Pressing this when the EX gauge is half full or greater causes your unit to enter EX mode. All suits get a speed boost and an instant weapon reload from this. Your choice of Burst and suit will change the particulars beyond that. If you are already in EX mode and press ABC, you will unleash your Burst Attack, a big final attack that does tons of damage, but often isn't terribly safe to attempt. Using your Burst Attack will end EX mode.

Charges:
If you see small progress bars underneath your weapon icons, that means your unit has Charge attacks equipped. From top to bottom: the first charge bar will be your CSa, the second will be your CSb.
  • Performed by holding the respective button until the charge bar reaches MAX, the weapon will stay at MAX charge until you release the button. If you cannot attack when the button is released, the attack will not go off and the charge meter will deplete. You CAN charge while being hit, laying down, etc.
  • CSa - (or: Charge Shot A) Hold down the A button.
  • CSb - (or: Charge Shot B) Hold down the B button.
OK, so what do I do with all of this??
As you can see, there is not a lot button combinations and special moves to memorize, just patterns of three attacking buttons: A, B and C. The real meat of the game comes from making these few combinations actually hit the opponent. How do you do that? By understanding lock-ons and movement.

Lock-ons and Range Managementtry not to end up like poor neil dylandy did.

quote:

In the game there are three types of lock on, indicated by the circle that hovers over your opponent. Green circle means that you are out of your suit's range. You may fire, but don't expect normal shots to hit. Yellow circle means that your suit is within range, but the target is currently unable to take damage, making fire pointless. Red circle is the hotspot, firing from "red-lock" range means that your attacks will have "guidance". This means that shots fired when in red lock range do not fire directly toward the opponent's last position, instead they curve and follow the opponent slightly to ensure that shots land on a moving target. Some attacks have greater guidance than others. In general you should be within red-lock range at all times. Suits have different red-lock ranges, so be aware of these when choosing the distance you keep between yourself and the opponent.

Basic Movement, the Boost Gauge and Overheat or: how I destroyed one button on my pad/stick making anime robots go fast

quote:

Set that C button to something comfortable. You're going to be beating the poo poo out of it.

In the controls section I mentioned the Boost Dash (press C twice rapidly, referring to it as BD from now on) and cancelling (inputting another weapon or dash before the current action ends). You can cancel BDs into one another to cover a lot of ground quickly, but this eats up a ton of your boost gauge. This doesn't seem too bad as most suits can BD around 6 times before they run dry, but there is a big problem with this mentality: Overheat.

When you land after all that dashing madness, your unit enters a 'landing' state where they cannot move, attack or defend until the boost gauge is refilled. The length of time you have to stay in this state depends on how much boost you used while dashing. When practicing or playing against easy AI, this small amount of time doesn't seem like a huge deal. However when you Overheated, the amount of time you must stand still is quite dangerous! Always try to make sure you touch the ground with boost meter to spare unless lasers are part of your diet. So how can you do your best to avoid overheating? The answer lies with simple physics and boost efficient movement. The key tool here is the "Boost Hop".

Boost Hop (sometimes called the Fuwajump) - Performed by doing a BD, then pressing C a third time and holding it for a short period while not pressing ANY direction. The suit should fly up and forward before falling and maintaining forward momentum from the original BD.
An example. - watch how Strike Freedom uses his BD and cancels it into a short hop by pressing and holding the C button for a third, very short time. A lot of ground is covered for comparatively little boost, and this also makes many rifles shots ineffectual. Devoting this technique to muscle memory is very important for improving early on in the game and applies to every suit in the game, allowing you to stay mobile and attack while keeping your landings very short. Spend a lot of time grinding this out and getting used to attacking while hopping (ideally while ascending, for reasons I may explain in a later guide.)

Now, the problem with Boost Hopping everywhere is that where you're going to land may become predictable to opponents, allowing them to time their shots to catch you. Mercifully, because you didn't spend much meter using the Boost Hop, you can cancel into another BD or Boost Hop to keep the opponents guessing. Pressing and holding C again when you're about to touch the ground allows you to ascend and descend again while keeping the original momentum for a Double Boost Hop (or the fuwafuwa).

Another very important option is the "Step Cancel". In the controls section, the sidestep was touched on, noting that it can cancel most attacks and dashes but most importantly: breaks weapon guidance. Why is this important? Let's examine an example:

The Amuro's RX-78 is Boost Hopping merrily across Side 7. Directly in front of him, all the way across the map is the mean ol' Char's Gelgoog, laying in wait with his beam rifle at the ready. Char's excellent piloting skills let him calculate roughly where he believe Amuro will land, and fires at an exact time to make sure that the nefarious White Devil takes damage when it touches the earth. However, Amuro's newtype senses allow him to see the beam shot coming at his Gundam. Taking a few milliseconds to ponder this, Amuro knows that Boost Dashing in any direction will just get him hit at this range. Amuro thinks of the shield he could use, but that would leave him stuck hovering in the air, unable to counter attack his nemesis. In a flash Amuro then quickly double taps his control stick to the right and the Gundam sidesteps rapidly, causing the beam to harmlessly fly past. Amuro calls Hayato's Guntank for assistance then continues his push forward.

Stupid stories aside, using the "Step Cancel" to avoid ranged attacks makes counterattacks much more effective. The sidestep will immediately stop the guidance of any beams or bullets flying towards you, causing them to continue forward at their current trajectory and (ideally) away from you. You can follow up sidesteps with a hop similar to the end of a Boost Hop to make the "fuwastep" making you much more difficult to hit and giving your counterattacks a slight height advantage. The video displays a few applications of the method, just focus mainly on how it allows you to avoid enemy fire.

When practicing and playing against other players, focus first on your movement and get a feel for where you should be moving to. A lot of the techniques seem far more complicated than they are in practice, the game is not ridiculously fast paced so your reaction times don't need to be picture perfect if you are playing a solid, safe game from the correct range. As you get a real grasp on your movement and meter management your gameplay will speed up and become more efficient naturally, so always work with these goals in mind.

Making the Hits Happen: Tips and Tricks

quote:

• A good starting tip is to always be sure that you are facing your target when firing. This seems pretty basic with gun based combat, but dashing mechanics can make this a little easier to ignore on accident. Shoot from too far off angle may force your unit to turn around before firing, and that may leave it still and open for a second. While dashing and falling, try to 'round' the stick/dpad towards your target. You can see a lot of advanced players do this though it is not strictly necessary for beginners.
  • A big ammo efficiency tip is to fire "on angle". Imagine a compass: your opponent is north, and you are dead center. If the opponent boost hops to the east while you are firing, attack guidance will not make up for that large of a distance that is created so quickly. Therefore, instead of shooting at the air the opponent just passed through, dash north so that you can then fire towards the east, hitting the opponent in the back. Attacking like this forces enemies to keep moving. Moving and firing in parallel to the opponent will make sure that neither your nor them get hit, but waste plenty of ammunition which can be precious for many suits.
  • Certain suits do not "fly" traditionally like most Gundams do, instead they hover or run wildly. Some examples include Gundam X-Divider, EZ-8 and the G-Gundam units. These suits have to rely on a different type of boost dash cancel called the "brake cancel". This is done by Boost Dashing then firing a sub weapon that forces the Gundam to dead stop their momentum. In practice this allows them to lay down fire from multiple angles and mix up their ground approach.

Hopefully this big rear end effort post helps out someone new, or at least serves as a gateway to go read other resources effectively. Every suit has their own tools, gimmicks and approaches, and match up knowledge comes with experience. If anything is too unclear ask away and I'll help out where I can.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Tons of really helpful stuff.

Thanks for posting this. It really helped to get me an idea of what's going on in gameplay videos. Shame I won't get a chance to play until the middle of January.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for those. Part of my problem with team stuff is that I rarely get a chance to play with real people, it's mostly me playing with the computer.

I remember in Next Plus it was a big deal that Freedom could cancel and nobody else could but as of Extreme it seems everything can. Is there any magic to cancelling besides just reaction to what happens, or are there some situations where you deliberately start an action that you intend to cancel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Midjack posted:

Thanks for those. Part of my problem with team stuff is that I rarely get a chance to play with real people, it's mostly me playing with the computer.

I remember in Next Plus it was a big deal that Freedom could cancel and nobody else could but as of Extreme it seems everything can. Is there any magic to cancelling besides just reaction to what happens, or are there some situations where you deliberately start an action that you intend to cancel?

The game is paced fast enough that it is kind of hard to hit confirm with cancelled attacks at first, though it is much easier to do at closer ranges. The more you play you'll get a pretty good feel for "when" something should hit as opposed to "if" it should hit, that makes cancels more natural. Usually if you are playing at the appropriate red lock range you can use a BR shot, and if it lands the enemy will be stunned long enough for you to fire BR again and cancel something from it. This is pretty important to playing the RX-78 for example: 1 BR shot then another BR cancelled into bazooka is really good damage. Cancelling non stop is not a great practice of course, as burning all your ammo is a good way to get yourself in a lot of trouble.

Some moves have very deliberate reasons to be cancelled into: for example you can cancel into into Guntank assist to keep the opponent moving after he dodges your BR. Melee attacks can also be sidestep cancelled, a common RX-78 combo is Melee x 2, sidestep, Melee x 2, cancel, bazooka(damage) or guntank (forces the opponent to wait before they wake up).

There's even more gimmicks with cancels than this, but these properties apply to all suits. As you start getting good at firing on the opponent's landings cancels get a lot easier to hit with.

EDIT: I didn't cover zundas or anything previously now that I look closer. I'll probably have to write up an "attacking" basics guide now too huh..

Dj Meow Mix fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 24, 2014

• Locked thread