Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is a new game coming out supposedly sometime in 2014 on October 7th September 30th, 2014 for Xbox One, PC and PS4 and November 18th for PS3 and Xbox 360. It is being developed by Monolith Productions(F.E.A.R) and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment(Arkham Series, Lego Series).

There has been some Playstation exclusive missions announced, the details of which are as follows:

quote:

According to a post on the PlayStation Blog from developer Monolith Productions' Community Manager Andy Salisbury, preordering the game for PS4 will get you the PlayStation Legion Edition missions. The exclusive missions will have you battling two more Warbands in Mordor: the Blood Hunters and the Flesh Burners.

The Blood Hunters, he said, are master assassins who travel in packs, and defeating them will earn you the Stinging Blade Rune. The Flesh Burners are a band of elite archers, and defeating them will earn you the Black Arrow Rune.

What's it About?

Shadow of Mordor is meant to take place between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Between Sauron's fall when the White Council attacked Dol Guldur (which happened concurrent with the Battle of Five Armies) and his reappearance during the trilogy, Mordor isn't quite the hellhole we know it to be and some enterprising frontiersmen have formed a few settlements in the area. The protagonist of the game is a Ranger of the Black Gate named Talion. At the beginning of the game Talion's family and the other Rangers at the Black Gate are slaughtered by agents of Sauron. Though mortally wounded, Talion is revived and discovers he has been inhabited by a wraith. The wraith is a separate being that has been mysteriously tied to him and the reason he still lives. The game follows Talion's quest for revenge on the servants of Sauron.

The lead writer of the game is Christian Cantamessa, who was a lead writer and designer on the excellent Red Dead Redemption.

How Will It Play?

The game is intended to be an open-world, sandbox style game. The team frequently references the Arkham series as what developers should aspire to when it comes to making a good game based on a licensed property. With their team including talent from Red Dead Redemption I would anticipate the final product being a mix of Arkham City and RDR. The swordplay is also supposed to be inspired by the Arkham games, only in a more lethal form. No gameplay videos have been shown yet though.

Besides being the mysterious reason that Talion is alive, the wraith gives Talion access to various supernatural abilities. Some of the abilities revealed so far include an ability called Shadow Strike which allows him to teleport to an enemy, an ability to slow time when using his bow and the ability to control and influence the orcs he encounters. Talion can turn these orcs into spies and assassins.

This factors into the games Nemesis System. This system is the most unique thing about the game so far. The game will remember your interactions with individual enemies and adjust how those enemies interact with you when you meet them later in the game. One example they described is Talion runs into a party of orcs and fights them. One of the orcs is wounded by Talion and is burned in the conflict. He manages to escape, or Talion lets him go. When Talion discovers him again the orc has gained renown from facing Talion and surviving and is now a captain. He also has a grudge against Talion and a fear of fire from their previous encounter. Every enemy has its own name, face, personality, strengths, and weaknesses and all of them will remember their previous encounters with Talion.

This system is the most interesting aspect to me(outside the fact that this is a LOTR game) and how it actually turns out when the game is released will probably make or break the game.

The developers have also said that this will be an entirely single player game. No multiplayer component at all, not even co-op.

Books? Movies? Both?

To my knowledge Warner Bros now has the license to both the books and the movies and so this game will be borrowing things from both. Peter Jackson's company is definitely being consulted when it comes to the visual style of the game. Gollum is reported to be a part of the game, no word on whether Andy Serkis will reprise the role. Mordor itself won't look exactly like the films as it's being envisioned as a less desolate area due to Sauron's absence. Instead they are designing it based on the landscape around the volcanoes in Washington State like Mount St. Helens.

Videos
Pre-Alpha gameplay video demonstrating combat and the Nemesis System - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fB64APq_jk
Trailer released April 2nd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPOjSGHh09E
Trailer released May 22nd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AeXJBsjPGQ
Weapon Upgrade Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGe3YIbeGlE
Trailer released July 25th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_sL6wZ1o4
Trailer released August 12th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gucNy0O3gnQ
Gamescom Demo Footage - http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/1...N+PS3+Videos%29
Trailer released August 29th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYzP7W5kfbM

Links:

Official Site
Wiki
Game Informer Hub
Shadow of Mordor Wikia

Click for super big version

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

What are the best Lord of the Rings games? I heard that the recent LEGO one is really good, but there have also been plenty of good ones before.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Oh God, while this sounds fun, it also sounds lore butchering enough to make my inner nerf cry with impotent rage.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

What are the best Lord of the Rings games? I heard that the recent LEGO one is really good, but there have also been plenty of good ones before.

There were a series of beat em ups based on the movies in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era that were pretty decent.

The FFX ripoff The Third Age was alright as well.

I've heard that the Battle for Middle Earth RTSes are decent, if not spectacular.

Honestly, that's kind of the best you can hope for with the LOTR property; decent, but not spectacular. Maybe this new game will change that? :shrug:

EDIT: Dat Lord of the Rings Online, too; recently went ftp, also not bad from the buzz I've heard.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 10, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There was also War in the North that made for a decent Dark Alliance-style co-op hack & slash. The PC version has some issues though, 360 & PS3 were better.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

PurplieNurplie posted:

There were a series of beat em ups based on the movies in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era that were pretty decent.

I've heard that the Battle for Middle Earth RTSes are decent, if not spectacular.

Honestly, that's kind of the best you can hope for with the LOTR property; decent, but not spectacular. Maybe this new game will change that? :shrug:

The Two Towers and Return of the King beat em ups were pretty good I thought.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I heard the lore diehards are going absolutely berserk over this due to how it handles the story and resurrection of its main character.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

poptart_fairy posted:

I heard the lore diehards are going absolutely berserk over this due to how it handles the story and resurrection of its main character.

That's part of the reason I went with the thread title I did instead of making a Walk into Mordor reference.

I personally don't know much of the lore outside of the movies so I don't know how much it actually breaks the lore.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

That's part of the reason I went with the thread title I did instead of making a Walk into Mordor reference.

I personally don't know much of the lore outside of the movies so I don't know how much it actually breaks the lore.

People return from the dead all the time in LOTR, the problem is...a wraith? Really? Why not just have him become a maiar or something, even that sounds a bit more plausible than a bloody wraith.

Right, you know what, I'm just going to enjoy this as an action game vaguely based on LOTR and not an rpg, shutting up about lore from now on! I recommend the same to other lore buffs.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That nemesis system sounds way too good to be true. It's probably just going to be a shallow gimmick.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

That nemesis system sounds way too good to be true. It's probably just going to be a shallow gimmick.

Getting Fable vibes from that claim, yeah. Might still be a fun game even if it turns out that way though.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

That loving Sned posted:

I haven't played any Lego games but I have been a shameful LoTR fan for a long time. On the GBA there was a Fellowship of the Ring game that everyone hated if I remember, so they switched over to another game studio who made a Two Towers and later a Return of the King game for the GBA. They are pocket sized gauntlet legends with all of your favorite LoTR lore and themes to put it simply, and they're probably the best games you can find for five bucks. Also EA did a DS game called LoTR Conquest or something that looked fine but was basically some weird capture the flag poo poo that had nothing to do with anything.

War in the North didn't do very well commercially but it seems to be a pretty fun hack and slash game to me, I got it in a Humble Bundle though, it's worth at least that price.

The Lord of the Rings Online is the LoTR MMO that has been out nearly seven years now but still looks and plays pretty well considering it. Pick a populated server and it's a fun MMO.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

People return from the dead all the time in LOTR, the problem is...a wraith? Really? Why not just have him become a maiar or something, even that sounds a bit more plausible than a bloody wraith.

Right, you know what, I'm just going to enjoy this as an action game vaguely based on LOTR and not an rpg, shutting up about lore from now on! I recommend the same to other lore buffs.

The problem with LOTR is that it is a caricature of itself at this point. Almost all the fantasy elements are pansy little bunny fu-fu poo poo, and I'd rather see this game set in Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age or any part of the Witcher's world.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

The problem with LOTR is that it is a caricature of itself at this point. Almost all the fantasy elements are pansy little bunny fu-fu poo poo, and I'd rather see this game set in Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age or any part of the Witcher's world.

I know, that's why I don't even mind the butchering of the lore that much, if it turns out to be a decent action-adventure game at least.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Wow, reading that description makes it sound like the twist is that the wraith is Sauron which would be such an unbelievably stupid feat I have no doubts the gaming industry is up for the challenge.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I Am A Robot posted:

Wow, reading that description makes it sound like the twist is that the wraith is Sauron which would be such an unbelievably stupid feat I have no doubts the gaming industry is up for the challenge.

From what I know of the ending, that isn't something to be worried about.

I know a few of the people who worked on this. The things they counted as inspiration ( Far Cry 3, Batman ) made it sound pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how the gameplay pans out. The Nemesis system could really go either way, but they did put quite a bit of effort into it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 10, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If this is taking inspiration from the Arkham series then it needs to take after Arkham Origins in that random goons will loudly, repeatedly, declare how stupid and unbelievable the concept of the main character is. Then you drop in on them. :getin:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Uploaded some images to imgur and stuck them in the OP. You can find a couple more here: http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-first-screenshots-released/

Also added a link to the dedicated wikia for this game. I guess everything has a wikia nowadays!

The only real info I know about this game came from the Game Informer cover story and links, so if anyone is more in the know than me please share with us.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The Third Age for GBA was a turn based strategy game and it was pretty fun.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stairmaster posted:

Even if it works as publicized it doesn't really seem like a lot to hang a game around. "Oh wow! It's that nameless grunt from ten levels ago! Crazy!" *decapitates like last million orcs*

A decent next gen hack and slash with LoTR trappings could still be fun, though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

That loving Sned posted:

Before the first Hobbit film came out I got War in the North for cheap, it's a competent game that is probably the best 'travel round Middle earth' title out there besides presumably the MMO.

I got kind of lucky though and went through the whole second half of the game in one sitting doing online co-op with two utterly baked Canadians that kept quoting the films, so had the whole Gandalf-sheparding-useless-hobbits-around feel.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Not a videogame but the lord of the rings board game is absolutely fantastic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow, sounds great. Yet another main character with a stupid ~mysterious~ gimmick that's supposed to make him a special snowflake but just sounds retarded instead. And then on top of that we get a some Peter Molyneux level bullshit about a rivalry system that will never in a million years end up even remotely as cool or in depth as promised. But it's ok because they cited some games you really liked as "inspiration"!

Predicting a 10/10 Game of the Year title here. No doubt.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
As awesome as Arkham was, I'm always sad to hear about sword and shield games taking that route. It sounds very hack & slash which just dissolves into mashing 'A' until everyone's dead. Combat never feels intense or engaging in those instances.

Somebody needs to figure out how to implement good sword mechanics into console games. Chivalry and War of the Roses should be inspiration for developers.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
gently caress. The nemesis system just depresses me because its such a loving stupid idea and there is no way in hell it will ever be implemented. And even if it was... its still stupid.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Tyrannosaurus posted:

gently caress. The nemesis system just depresses me because its such a loving stupid idea and there is no way in hell it will ever be implemented. And even if it was... its still stupid.

What's stupid about it? I think it sounds neat, though I don't see how it will actually work. I'm not a game designer though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Could be good. I'm surprised that we haven't already had two Hobbit games the past two years.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I'd say The Last Days of the Third Age of Middle Earth is probably one of the better if you like the genre. NOTE: This is for the original Mount and Blade, and is NOT compatible with M&B Warband.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

What's stupid about it? I think it sounds neat, though I don't see how it will actually work. I'm not a game designer though.

"Oh, hey, cool, I totally remember that specific orc with the exact same face as 10,000+ other orcs. He was totally the one orc that got away from me in that random battle I had two hours ago. I've only had roughly fifty battles since our encounter with identical looking enemies."

Its just gonna end up scripted with certain special enemies escaping through cut scenes.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

SolitarySolidarity posted:

As awesome as Arkham was, I'm always sad to hear about sword and shield games taking that route. It sounds very hack & slash which just dissolves into mashing 'A' until everyone's dead. Combat never feels intense or engaging in those instances.

Somebody needs to figure out how to implement good sword mechanics into console games. Chivalry and War of the Roses should be inspiration for developers.

Platinum Games have this little title called Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE, you should check it out bro :colbert:

(Chop an Orc into a million pieces and then eat their spine)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Shadow of Mordor is meant to take place between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Between Sauron's fall at the Battle of Five Armies and his reappearance during the trilogy, Mordor isn't quite the hellhole we know it to be and some enterprising frontiersmen have formed a few settlements in the area. The protagonist of the game is a Ranger of the Black Gate named Talion. At the beginning of the game Talion's family and the other Rangers at the Black Gate are slaughtered by agents of Sauron. Though mortally wounded, Talion is revived and discovers he has been inhabited by a wraith. The wraith is a separate being that has been mysteriously tied to him and the reason he still lives. The game follows Talion's quest for revenge on the servants of Sauron.

The 'wraith' bit doesn't bother me. The things at the Barrow-Downs were 'wraiths'. What bothers me is...settlements on the east side of the Anduin? When you have a perfectly good abandoned former capital in Osgiliath that everyone would love to be properly restored?

I'm trying to remember how long the Ringwraiths were inactive. I'm certain they were still around Mordor getting everything sorted out and made ready even though Sauron was in Dol Guldur.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

The 'wraith' bit doesn't bother me. The things at the Barrow-Downs were 'wraiths'. What bothers me is...settlements on the east side of the Anduin? When you have a perfectly good abandoned former capital in Osgiliath that everyone would love to be properly restored?

Surely they're not mutually exclusive.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Tyrannosaurus posted:

"Oh, hey, cool, I totally remember that specific orc with the exact same face as 10,000+ other orcs. He was totally the one orc that got away from me in that random battle I had two hours ago. I've only had roughly fifty battles since our encounter with identical looking enemies."

Its just gonna end up scripted with certain special enemies escaping through cut scenes.

I haven't found anything that mentioned it online and I don't have my Game Informer copy anymore but in it they said that you will have a menu screen or something that keeps track of all the orcs and what rank they are or something. Again, I don't have the details at hand anymore but I remember a screenshot that showed a screen with a bunch of orcs that you could cycle through to see details about them. There will also be a mechanical benefit to not killing every orc; they become more powerful and worth more experience if you let them escape from prior battles.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Epi Lepi posted:

I haven't found anything that mentioned it online and I don't have my Game Informer copy anymore but in it they said that you will have a menu screen or something that keeps track of all the orcs and what rank they are or something. Again, I don't have the details at hand anymore but I remember a screenshot that showed a screen with a bunch of orcs that you could cycle through to see details about them. There will also be a mechanical benefit to not killing every orc; they become more powerful and worth more experience if you let them escape from prior battles.

:raise: I dunno what I think about this but an RDR-style LotR game with Arkham combat sounds pretty cool anyway.

If they can pull it off somehow.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm a huge Tolkien/Middle-Earth fanatic and have been for years. And I think this game's gonna be slick poo poo fun. Well I hope it will at least. Hopefully this doesn't suffer from RDR/Rockstar syndrome and constantly loving interrupt the gameplay with their story they think is groundbreaking.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

If Christopher Tolkien knows about this, I'm sure he's apoplectic. Fortunately, he probably doesn't.

I'm pretty sure I'll add this to the quickly growing list of games which I would like a lot more if they weren't based off <insert thing I like here> but rather something new. Like DmC and TESO.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

peer posted:

:raise: I dunno what I think about this but an RDR-style LotR game with Arkham combat sounds pretty cool anyway.

RDR did a really great job with the atmosphere of the environments, if the game feels like a bit of Middle-Earth you can run around in and explore then I'm in.

The "Nemesis System" sounds pants though. Even if it was integrated as they're describing, which it won't be, I honestly can't see what it would really add to the experience.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A Just Cause/Arkham sandbox game with swords sounds great, and I love the old RotK game and WitN, so I'm cautiously intrigued. So very cautious though.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I always love a new LOTR game, and I'll try it regardless, but yeah that nemesis system doesn't sound like it'll do much. If anything, it would have been much better for a game with human enemies, where they really can have personalities. Like maybe if you spared a young guy who was on his first foray into combat, he might join your side, or if you let some old guy escape he might retire and become a farmer or something, and like you could talk to him at his farm or some poo poo. It's pretty pointless with orcs, because they are the most generic faceless, non-individual bad guys ever. They are all completely evil, they aren't that smart, and I can't imagine their "personalities" going beyond "this one uses a spear" or "this scarred orc prefers heavy armour".

Regardless though, I am always excited for any kind of hack and slash with good combat. Right now it feels like Witcher 2, Dark Souls, and Mount & Blade are the only ones with any replayability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PurplieNurplie posted:

EDIT: Dat Lord of the Rings Online, too; recently went ftp, also not bad from the buzz I've heard.

The beat em ups are quite fun, as is the GCN Hobbit game that draws inspiration sorta heavily from Zelda.

• Locked thread