Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think playing as Shay first makes more sense since you know something is obviously wrong but you aren't sure exactly what. Then when you do Vella's section you can figure out the connection and its a pretty good twist/reveal. If you do Vella's part first then you know straightaway exactly what is going on, I think it deprives you of that moment of realisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Loved this and, man, I can't freaking wait until act two. One gripe was (end game spoilers) Shay's little minigame "rescuing" the survivors. The last one was really annoying to grab but I didn't really understand what was going on since I played his part first. It was only until I beat the game, closed it out, and thought about it that I realized why that was. So...did the other girls die? Or is this part of some weird re-population project they hinted at?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
God drat it I'm stuck in Vella's section and there's no walkthroughs yet.

How do I get that one bird's egg that's trapped down in the roots? All I have is this peach, but I can't do anything with it. What am I missing? I already got the other two eggs.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wandering Knitter posted:

How do I get that one bird's egg that's trapped down in the roots? All I have is this peach, but I can't do anything with it. What am I missing? I already got the other two eggs.

I'm stuck in the same place. I love adventure games but I'm terrible.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Wandering Knitter posted:

hint The answer isn't on that screen
solution Fall through from above where those holes are

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I played through Vella's story tonight. Went through to the meat of Shay's story. It's pretty good so far. I really enjoyed Shay's beginning bit.

The only problem I have had performance wise is the game gets a lot of slow down when I grab items from my inventory.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Pwnstar posted:

I think playing as Shay first makes more sense since you know something is obviously wrong but you aren't sure exactly what. Then when you do Vella's section you can figure out the connection and its a pretty good twist/reveal. If you do Vella's part first then you know straightaway exactly what is going on, I think it deprives you of that moment of realisation.

I played Shay's part first, I could agree with this.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

End of Vella help: how the gently caress do I get an arm free to zap mog?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Should I be able to enter the Dead Eye temple without solving the riddle first? At least I think I didn't solve it.

Also is Curtis' voice who I think it is?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Shoot all his tentacles but one

spider wisdom posted:

Also is Curtis' voice who I think it is?

Yes

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

You have to do something before being grabbed. Look for other weak points to shoot at.

Incidentally, so you all know there is nothing at the end of the credits, it just spits you back at the title screen. So feel free to close the game when it starts listing all the backers.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 15, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I missed the Kickstarter but I did get slacker backer for just the game and I'm glad I did. This is already a really great game, I think one of the best adventure games I've played. I actually liked that there wasn't any hare-brained puzzles that just put the game to a standstill, I figured everything out on my own without too much trouble and it was a great ride. Can't wait for the last half.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Finished it and my opinion is that it is a very pretty, funny, and unique feeling game with shallow gameplay and little depth.

So a Double Fine game.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Oof. It's been 15 years since Schafer designed an adventure game, and about that long since that level of puzzle "depth" has been in vogue. This is a game that's gonna be on iPads.

Maybe Act 2 will be more dense and challenging, since at some point in the writing process it evolved from a small game to a big one.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I love love LOVE this game for the art and story.

It's definitely not very challenging puzzle-wise so far though, but this is literally only half of the game.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pwnstar posted:

I played Vella first, and was not deprived anything with regards to moments, I would recommend picking whoever you're most interested in playing through first rather than worrying about tuning your experience. Great game, puzzles weren't too hard, but I loved the art style and dialogue and settings. Well worth my $15 back in 2012. 4 hours of fun, most of the time just spent dinking around trying to get as many humorous interactions as I could find, as the puzzles were mostly straightforward. Probably could have done it in two hours or so, or maybe even stretched it out to five. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the second half.

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack
Pretty much echoing everyone else's sentiments so far. Pretty, with a cool story (it should have occurred to me earlier on that Shay was getting Ender's Game'd, but I'm actually really happy it didn't), but the puzzles were pretty elementary and I wrapped it up in four hours with a liberal amount of storyline-switching just for the hell of it (and I'm no hardcore adventure gamer). Also, I was disappointed that there was never any explicit reason to switch between Shay and Vella, though I didn't really follow the production stuff and that might be an Act 2 thing.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Just finished it and really enjoyed it, the puzzles and gameplay weren't exceptional but the game felt like it had a pretty good flow all together, similar to some of the pre-Walking Dead TellTale stuff honestly. It really felt like Vella had a much more interesting story than Shay did and I'm probably just an idiot for not noticing earlier, but the reveal at the end was a pretty good 'oh poo poo' moment.

For what they said about it being a beta it worked pretty nicely, the one thing I noticed though is that a fair amount of the art got pixelated pretty heavily as it zoomed in, I know there's probably other reasons for that but it was noticeable in a few spots, like the Cloud Shoes shop. Looking forward to part 2, really glad I backed this game.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TheOrange posted:

For what they said about it being a beta it worked pretty nicely, the one thing I noticed though is that a fair amount of the art got pixelated pretty heavily as it zoomed in, I know there's probably other reasons for that but it was noticeable in a few spots, like the Cloud Shoes shop. Looking forward to part 2, really glad I backed this game.

I recall them talking about that being the first area drawn for the game, but it would be nice if they spruced that up because that's the main section that made me do a double take when it zoomed in. Just completed the first act and waited to see my name at the end. Worth it. Took about 5 hours according to Steam and I did suffer about 5 crashes on my Mac mini and I did have to quit once when the screen went black but no progress was lost. Eagerly looking forward to Act 2 now.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, really loving this so far - and part 2 is is still in development, so that means they'll take time and feedback to craft and tweak the experience to fit in some of the puzzle-challenge we crave.

Taking act one as-it-is without part 2, I'd compare it to "The Neverhood" - in that the puzzles are simple and easy to figure out, but the art, humor, weirdness, and experience of it all is where the real magic is.

We'll see where they go with act 2. ;)

Edit: IMO, this is a game that's more about storytelling than puzzle-solving. I don't want the puzzle-solving to get in the way of the narrative - I'd rather the puzzles be integrated completely into the narrative in ways that make sense, or are like little foreshadowing events or psychological mirrors/references to what's going on. Every puzzle seems to be loaded with symbolism so far like that.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 15, 2014

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Just finished the game and loved all of it. Played through about half of Shay's section, Did Vella until encountering the Dead Eye God guard twins, switched back to Shay and finished his, then finished the game with Vella.

I was initially disillusioned with the puzzles, but they did ramp up in difficulty as the game progressed. Still a little on the easy side, so hopefully Act II will provide more of a challenge. The story is fantastic and I can't wait to see where they take it. I caught on a bit after playing Merek's crane game thing. Especially the part where one of the little creatures resists/begins crying who I assume is supposed to be Vella as she's escaping. Very clever in retrospect. I think it's pretty clear to me that Vella will eventuallyrun into Mog Chothra's victims in the second half.

Length was perfect for being half of an adventure game.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Okay, hate to admit it but I'm stuck in two places:

End(ish) of Vella: I've gotten into the Dead Eye God's lair and opened it, but can't figure out what to do with the laser crystal. There's also still the matter of a pile of sap chilling by the tree that I haven't figured out either.

Three tasks for Shay: I need a propulsion system; figured out the rest no problem.

Pretty sure I figured out the connection between the two stories a bit early; I definitely recommend playing Shay first and Vella second or else the reveal will probably be a little less jarring. Assuming I have it right, that is.

Pryce fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 15, 2014

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Did they split the game cleanly down the middle, so the second half is 4hrs too?

Because if so, that'll work out to what? $400k an hour?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

coffeetable posted:

Did they split the game cleanly down the middle, so the second half is 4hrs too?

Because if so, that'll work out to what? $400k an hour?

Really hard to say - the latter half of these kinds of games tends to be more densely packed though. But 'gameplay time' in this instance is less important than production value and quality of the experience.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

$15 for ~8 hours of quality story is a goddamn bargain.

Ending caught me completely off guard.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Comrade Flynn posted:

$15 for ~8 hours of quality story is a goddamn bargain.

Ending caught me completely off guard.

And the ending is just a cliffhanger for part 2! :allears:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
As someone who sucks at adventure games but loves to play them, I appreciated the puzzles in this being easy to solve since it just made it easier to experience the story and art and atmosphere, which is what I love these kinds of games for.

And goddamn, this game delivered on all of that. It's only on Act 1, and I already love it, short length be damned.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I think this game's "I'm selling these fine leather jackets" is I'm going to kill mog chothra. :laugh:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Pwnstar posted:

I did Shay first just because the documentary has been so Vella-heavy. Gonna to the Vella part tomorrow and I hope it's a little more meaty puzzle-wise.

Also, do the yarn pals remind anyone else of Fluffy & Uranus from Duckman?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
God drat it so do we have to play in 4:3 to see all the art? :mad:

Cause the art is gorgeous :allears:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm stuck on vella

I got into the temple but I can't figure out what to do with the crystal. I tried putting it in the indent but it says it won't fit. I literally have no idea what to do at this point. I got everything but this and the snake done. How do I get past the loving snake?

All that's left in my inventory now is a ladder, a crystal, and a stool.

Everything was easy up to this and now its just getting annoying.

trias_e
Nov 4, 2011
I loved it and had a smile on my face most of the time through the game. The writing was really clever and pretty much up to par with what was expected. I do really, really wish that some of the puzzles had a few extra steps to them. Especially the main 'puzzle areas' for both characters could have really benefited from just a little more complexity. Would have also helped alleviate complaints about length, considering act 1 is quite short (but not because it lacks scope and story!)

Definitely pleased I backed the game though.

Al Borland posted:

I'm stuck on vella

I got into the temple but I can't figure out what to do with the crystal. I tried putting it in the indent but it says it won't fit. I literally have no idea what to do at this point. I got everything but this and the snake done. How do I get past the loving snake?

You're missing an item that might look at first glance like abstract art.

trias_e fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 15, 2014

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Al Borland posted:

I'm stuck on vella

The black bit is the recess, the orange is positive space

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm proud that I got through this without any need for hints. I did get stuck and backtrack more than I ought to have a few times though. But often the solution was pretty much right in front of me.

The cliffhanger is pretty intense. :eyepop:

trias_e posted:

I loved it and had a smile on my face most of the time through the game. The writing was really clever and pretty much up to par with what was expected. I do really, really wish that some of the puzzles had a few extra steps to them. Especially the main 'puzzle areas' for both characters could have really benefited from just a little more complexity. Would have also helped alleviate complaints about length, considering act 1 is quite short (but not because it lacks scope and story!)

Definitely pleased I backed the game though.

You're missing an item that might look at first glance like abstract art.

If the success of this kicks off double fine basically doing regular adventure games alongside all the other games they're doing, this is an amazing start to it all - puzzle simplicity complaints or not.

Oh, and a bit of advice for anyone playing this - DO NOT TRY TO RUSH THROUGH. Try to get every bit of dialogue, click on everything, and use every item on everything that isn't a solution. You will get bits of story and hilarious hidden quips all over the place. I'm going to play this again just to go over stuff that I know I missed.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 15, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They did specifically mention in the documentary that the puzzle difficulty will ramp up in the second half.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I think this game hits the spot that has been left void by a lack of adventure games perfectly, in that the story is extremely compelling to the point where i want to exhaust every characters dialogue tree, and at the same time the puzzles are simple yet clever enough that when the problem is first presented, even if its not presented as a "problem" immediately, im already racking my brain with all the possibilities of how i might exploit a given situation. The design of old point and clicks, coupled with the easy interface and convenience of modern games such as a simplistic, intuitive interface, and being able to skip past the parts youre repeating, and being able to skip walking across a whole enormous area, it really takes exactly what turned me off of adventure games in the past and makes those issues non-existent. The subject matter might seem a little too cutesy for some people, but the actual writing behind it is extremely mature and I would give it a chance if you have even a remote interest in a game like this. The fact that you have two narratives (as far as i know) panning out means that if you get frustrated with one end you can easily switch to the other and give that a shot. Ultimately, an adventure game should have compelling writing and satisfying visuals, and this game goes beyond and above those requirements. Although the starting of Shays story felt eerily similar to like an old pajama sam or secret agent fish game or whatever the gently caress that poo poo was called, it quickly departed from that, and the girls story (especially the saucy grandpa) gave me such an intense double-fine vibe I felt like I was playing psychonauts or something again.

Definitely worried about the length of this game though, part 2 better be a steamroller compared to how fast I burned through part 1. I dont feel ripped off for my money or anything like that but with the amount of bread they dropped on this game, part 2 better break the fast paced simplicity of the first part. I dont think anyone who actually wants to play this game is going to complain about a puzzle being too hard, even if looking up the solution is required for most people.

HORMELCHILI fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 15, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It looks like we're likely going to be re-visiting all the locations of each of the two protagonist's worlds again, along with new areas. I am okay with this because I actually wanted to go back and spend more time in those spots and seeing new character interactions and things happen in those areas rather than burn through them and move on. It's common for adventure games to backtrack over old area assets with new events happening in them, so we're probably going to see that. Good thing too, because I am definitely not ready to leave this world - though I would definitely love to discover new places in the next chapter as well.

Something to bear in mind - this game's 'full price' is $25, so it's inherently not going to be a superlong game. Based on the quality of content here, I would EASILY pay $40-$60 for a longer and more dense game created by these guys, and so I hope that this game winds up being a springboard to something like that happening. Or if not that, sequels to this game that continue the story.

Main thing though: I really really really hope this leads into double-fine regularly doing a major adventure game (at least one a year) alongside everything else they work on, because the first half of this game shows just how powerful the medium is in the hands of the company.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 15, 2014

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp

GAY RETARD posted:

I think this game hits the spot that has been left void by a lack of adventure games perfectly, in that the story is extremely compelling to the point where i want to exhaust every characters dialogue tree, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

this dialog is exhausting me

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp
somehow i read the title of the game as dragon age and assumed it sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now that they've spent all this time and money getting an engine in place and experience with these games I really hope they don't just drop it after this. They could totally make more adventure games now that they know what they're doing, and they don't all have to have this calibre of artwork, so that's a huge chunk of the cost already taken care of.

It would feel like a huge waste if this was the last adventure game Tim wrote.

• Locked thread