Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Rass P posted:

this dialog is exhausting me

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo....

I appreciate the attention to formatting though, I bet you sub English classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Spacedad posted:

Something to bear in mind - this game's 'full price' is $25, so it's inherently not going to be a superlong game.

Truth, but I feel like almost everyone who kickstarted the game into existence wouldnt have minded if someone less famous than elijah wood was voicing their character. The money totally could have been spent on a longer game and thats the only thing bothering me. Granted Act 2 isnt out yet so I dont want to sound contrary because I genuinely enjoy it, and its not like im giving up on it, but the first part is reaaallly short.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I've no idea what the budget looks like for something like this, but I'd imagine a full day's pay for the entire development team is more expensive than one recording session with a voice actor.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just beat it a short while back. Even seeing the ending, I didn't figure out what those "claw" sequences actually meant until someone pointed it out. Then again, I did finish it very late in the evening, so I'll just use that as an excuse.

It was quite fun, and had some good humor in it. Lots of very good quips attached to descriptions of things, lots of interesting little plotpoints I can't wait to explore in the next act.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think Elijah Wood charged much, if anything, for his time.

Regarding the length, it's about half as long as a classic adventure game like Monkey Island, so it seems fine to me. It just needs to be harder to make itself feel longer.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

GAY RETARD posted:

Truth, but I feel like almost everyone who kickstarted the game into existence wouldnt have minded if someone less famous than elijah wood was voicing their character. The money totally could have been spent on a longer game and thats the only thing bothering me. Granted Act 2 isnt out yet so I dont want to sound contrary because I genuinely enjoy it, and its not like im giving up on it, but the first part is reaaallly short.

It was confirmed that the voice acting budget wasn't changed because of Elijah Wood, he probably did his part more or less for free, apparently he loves monkey island and it's not like he needs money anymore.

That said, this game is so much better than I thought it would be (and that's saying something considering that I thought the game would be pretty good). It's really noticeable that this is a labour of love, it was a long time since I played a game with this much personality and I am looking forward to see the conclusion of part 1 (I get stuck on the silliest of puzzles).

Also, if this leads to double fine making more adventure games then it's even better.

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
I really enjoyed the experience. The art, acting, and character design are all fantastic. I want to complain about the ease, but at the same time its also nice I was able to complete the release without having to look up spoilers which I pretty much always have to do in the old Lucas Arts games.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Maybe I'm retarded but I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing at the beach part with Vella. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the riddle I just can't seem to find the right item or I'm missing something obvious.

trias_e
Nov 4, 2011

cat doter posted:

Maybe I'm retarded but I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing at the beach part with Vella. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the riddle I just can't seem to find the right item or I'm missing something obvious.

There's a few things you need to do at that part.

What do you think the answer to the riddle is?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

trias_e posted:

There's a few things you need to do at that part.

What do you think the answer to the riddle is?

the answer seems to have something to do with a tree or whatever, I've got the bucket of sap but I'm not sure what to do from there. There's no obvious solution yet people are whining about how easy and simple the game is so I feel like a loving idiot

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

So glad I decided to back this. The humor and artstyle is amazing. Could've had more meaty puzzles but I don't mind that much. Also Scott C.'s ◕‿◕ faces everywhere :3:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This was pretty fantastic. The art was gorgeous. The music was nice. The dialog was great. The puzzles were easy, sure, and they were generous with hints. I liked that, though. It made everything intuitive enough to not be frustrating, but there were still a couple that got a ha moments from me. Either I didn't see the answer at first, or I went a ha when the element that was the answer presented itself. Also, the twist was pretty good.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

cat doter posted:

the answer seems to have something to do with a tree or whatever, I've got the bucket of sap but I'm not sure what to do from there. There's no obvious solution yet people are whining about how easy and simple the game is so I feel like a loving idiot

Solution:
Go back up to the cloud place, if you go to the tree there it has fruit on it. You have to click around a bit to find one you can reach.

Also a dumb minor thing, but if anyone from DoubleFine is reading this thread could you put the skip cut-scene button on right click or something? It felt kind of weird to have to go back to the keyboard for that in a otherwise 100% mouse driven game.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 15, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I played through it in a couple of sittings yesterday, and my only complaints are having to reach for the keyboard when I want to skip a cutscene, and not making myself switch between characters from time to time. I'd have probably caught a lot more of the correlations between the story as I played, instead of afterward, if I had.

Had to poke at a walkthrough twice, once for something that was apparently so elementary, the walkthrough didn't even reference it. That's fine with me: I burnt the gently caress out on hard puzzles when Infocom was a thing, so very mild challenges are about my speed these days.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bieeardo posted:

I played through it in a couple of sittings yesterday, and my only complaints are having to reach for the keyboard when I want to skip a cutscene...

You can remap the keys.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Steve2911 posted:

I don't think Elijah Wood charged much, if anything, for his time.

Could you elaborate on this? I don't know if you have access to numbers about the budget, but I really doubt Elijah Wood was doing a game with this much spoken dialogue gratis.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Steve2911 posted:

Now that they've spent all this time and money getting an engine in place and experience with these games I really hope they don't just drop it after this. They could totally make more adventure games now that they know what they're doing, and they don't all have to have this calibre of artwork, so that's a huge chunk of the cost already taken care of.

It would feel like a huge waste if this was the last adventure game Tim wrote.

Tim pretty much has been doing different kind of games with each game for the last decade, so I wonder if he'll stick to this stuff after BA. At any rate, Double Fine will have a new engine for this type of game so hopefully more projects use it.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

The Cumburglar posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I don't know if you have access to numbers about the budget, but I really doubt Elijah Wood was doing a game with this much spoken dialogue gratis.

Why not, he's a big fan of Tim Schafer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Cumburglar posted:

Wood was definitely compensated for his time but I really doubt Double Fine had to spend a significant amount of money (ie. no more than usual for a voice actor) paying him for the studio time. Wood even contacted Schafer personally to ask if he could be a part of the game so it's unlikely he was paid a few months salary of a programmer or something to record his lines.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Cumburglar posted:

Well, it's pretty common for big shot movie stars to work for scale (Actors guild mandated minimum pay) on their friends' small projects. Given how tight their money was, I somehow doubt Wood or Black gouged them for pay or that they'd even bother with them instead of decent no-name actors if payment was a big concern.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Fair enough; I wasn't aware Woods and Schafer were close. Thanks!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

You can remap the keys.

Hey, thanks! Done and done, in anticipation for the next part.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

trias_e posted:

I loved it and had a smile on my face most of the time through the game. The writing was really clever and pretty much up to par with what was expected. I do really, really wish that some of the puzzles had a few extra steps to them. Especially the main 'puzzle areas' for both characters could have really benefited from just a little more complexity. Would have also helped alleviate complaints about length, considering act 1 is quite short (but not because it lacks scope and story!)

Definitely pleased I backed the game though.

You're missing an item that might look at first glance like abstract art.

I'm guessing here you're referencing the stain glassed window piece. No I'm not have had this for awhile. No idea where the gently caress to put it. It says it wont fit in the socket. Still stuck if anyone can help on this vella part.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Al Borland posted:

I'm guessing here you're referencing the stain glassed window piece. No I'm not have had this for awhile. No idea where the gently caress to put it. It says it wont fit in the socket. Still stuck if anyone can help on this vella part.

He's referencing something else. Go check out the lumberjack's mantlepiece.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

YggiDee posted:

He's referencing something else. Go check out the lumberjack's mantlepiece.

yeah I saw that thing up there I just can't get it to do anything...

Ahh okay NM gotta talk to him first

Thanks

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Cumburglar posted:

Fair enough; I wasn't aware Woods and Schafer were close. Thanks!

They aren't, but Wood has said in interviews that Monkey Island is his favourite game, and Tim Schafer knew about this, so he messaged him on Twitter, and Wood replied back to him within like a minute. They caught the moment on camera in the documentary, even. I'm sure he was paid, but probably not more than any other person in the cast. I can't imagine the recordings took much more than a day or two, either.

Tim and Jack Black are legit bros, though. I think they vacation together with their families or something.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 15, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

They aren't, but Woods has said in interviews that Monkey Island is his favourite game, and Tim Schafer knew about this, so he messaged him on Twitter, and Woods replied back to him within like a minute. They caught the moment on camera in the documentary, even. I'm sure he was paid, but probably not more than any other person in the cast. I can't imagine the recordings took much more than a day or two, either.

Tim and Jack Black are legit bros, though. I think they vacation together with their families or something.

There is no 's' in that last name.

You philistines.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Megazver posted:

There is no 's' in that last name.

You philistines.

Sorry, I totally thought it was James Woods!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Just beat it. Shay's story goes wayyyy too fast compared to Vella.

Holy crap though that ending caught me off guard. I was going to agree with everyone needing to play Shay first up until the very end. I was really surprised!

I was coming to a totally different and wrong conclusion. Boy am I glad I was wrong.
I thought the fat balding old guy was Shay, glad it wasn't. Holy cow though that caught me off guard.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Al Borland posted:

Just beat it. Shay's story goes wayyyy too fast compared to Vella.

Holy crap though that ending caught me off guard. I was going to agree with everyone needing to play Shay first up until the very end. I was really surprised!

I was coming to a totally different and wrong conclusion. Boy am I glad I was wrong.
I thought the fat balding old guy was Shay, glad it wasn't. Holy cow though that caught me off guard.

I guess from their development standpoint it makes sense, most of the Vella stuff seems like it came much earlier in development and I wouldn't be suprised if by the point they fleshed out Shay the budget stuff became more of a factor.

Ending Stuff:
You hear Vella call him Alex at some point, up until then I thought he was an older Shay too, might of missed some dialog where it got revealed. One thing I'm wondering though is that if Mog Cothra seems to be an annual thing in that world then how was it happening before Shay got there? Or are there other ships around somewhere on this world. Waiting for part 2 is going to suck.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 15, 2014

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

TheOrange posted:

Ending Stuff:
You hear Vella call him Alex at some point, up until then I thought he was an older Shay too, might of missed some dialog where it got revealed. One thing I'm wondering though is that if Mog Cothra seems to be an annual thing in that world then how was it happening before Shay got there? Or are there other ships around somewhere on this world. Waiting for part 2 is going to suck.

Alex mentions that the whole sunken pyramid was his ship and it was part of Operation Dandelion, so presumably there were other ships out there like Shay's. I think the feast organizer lady at the beginning of Vella's part also mentions that it's not always been Mog Chothra - there have been other Mogs before him, so maybe the ships also look different. The timeline is interesting, though, since if Alex had been stuck there for 300 years the whole thing's been going on from way before Shay was born - so who sent him away on the ship? It's as if his people continued with the kidnapping/repopulation operation long after it was necessary to do so, or else Marek really is working on his own (I assume he is working with the Overmother and is just intended to usher Shay into a kind-of rebellious teen phase).

edit: Actually I guess maybe 300 years is not enough for a repopulation project. :\

I love how you can go back and replay Shay's part and all of a sudden that rescuing minigame and the creatures' reactions make so much more sense now that you know how the three different Maidens Feast events go down. It follows the order they happened at (Meriloft -> Sugar Bunting -> Shellmound), so the creature Shay doesn't rescue in the very first minigame is actually that depressed girl you meet up in Meriloft, and the one that gets away in the second one is Vella.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 15, 2014

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

TheOrange posted:

Ending Stuff:

The old lady at the beginning of Vella's story says (a) Mog Chothra comes around every 14 years and that she's seen 6 of them and then chastises you for trying to suss out her age. So I'm guessing Shay isn't the first one to go through all of this and Merek knows a lot more than he's letting on. Or not.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

The old lady at the beginning of Vella's story says (a) Mog Chothra comes around every 14 years and that she's seen 6 of them and then chastises you for trying to suss out her age. So I'm guessing Shay isn't the first one to go through all of this and Merek knows a lot more than he's letting on. Or not.

Yeah holy crap.

I mean the game leaves so many questions to answer. This has been going on for a lonng time. There are multiple ships involved in this project. Aptly named for picking of flowers or in this case a weed. What was the rush with having to run away after getting 3 / 4 of the bird girls? There wasn't an ambush or anything going on. Very strange.

Also the ship itself seems oblivious to what was going on. Like Merek himself was kidnapping the girls of his own volition. I don't get why he tried to save shay at the end when all the equipment fell on him though. There is a lot of weiiiirrrrd poo poo going on.

Can't wait for the second part.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

She says a Mog comes every 14 years, not necessarily Mog Chothra; maybe Shay (and Alex) are clones?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

RickoniX posted:

She says a Mog comes every 14 years, not necessarily Mog Chothra; maybe Shay (and Alex) are clones?

Alex didn't seem to recognize the mog though. I'm guessing mogs look similar. He even called it a monster. So something is fishy here.

E: really glad I helped kick start this game though.

A little short, but I get part 2 as well so I'm happy.

The Banner Saga is shaping up a good choice as well if you guys are looking for an interesting game to play.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
One point in the game reminded me of this photo I took a couple years ago:

(Sorry I can't thumbnail it with spoilers.)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished it in two sittings and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm probably the only one that actually liked that it was as easy as it was, but then my biggest complaint about the old adventure games like Monkey Island is that some of the puzzles are overly difficult and unnecessarily convoluted.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

RickoniX posted:

I guess there's always the "Forbidden Zone" thing they mentioned with Vella too, maybe that's what Loruna is? I guess that the Mog thing could also be some kind of disguise adopted after Alex came along...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Mog Chothra/The Ship has been only kidnapping maidens for a generation seeing is that Steel Bunting stopped being a warrior village after it first appeared and they failed to kill it. Maybe due to Alex getting stranded they had to resort to desperate measures to try and complete the repopulation mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
LET THE SPECULATION ABOUT PART 2 BEGIN!

Here's an idea: The victims of Mog Chothra are really just 'potential wives or breeding partners' intended for Shay or other survivors on another planet in the future, and being stuck in stasis sleep rather than killed/eaten.

Also, whenever Shay sleeps, he's really sleeping for years in some kind of stasis.

• Locked thread