Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

I've been working with HF for long enough to be pretty comfortable around it, but I don't think I'll ever be this comfortable:

Fulminant acute colitis following a self-administered hydrofluoric acid enema

This lead me to read way too much related material on pubmed. Sadly it seems to be scarce for the older articles. Some of the medical reviews are captivating for their ability to condense a large amount of crazy patient activity/self-treatment. Makes me feel better about my health though!

That being said where did he get HF acid at? Is it freely available in some places? Was he making his on cocaine in an O. Chem lab? Ugh... so many questions that will never be answered.

onemanlan has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Various compounds that produce HF acid in solution are available for glass etching. Ammonium Bifluorite and such.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

I've been working with HF for long enough to be pretty comfortable around it, but I don't think I'll ever be this comfortable:

Fulminant acute colitis following a self-administered hydrofluoric acid enema

quote:

...severe mucosal ulceration and edema in the rectum and sigmoid colon. Laparotomy revealed an ulcerated, necrotic, and purulent sigmoid colon and intraperitoneal pus...

Okay, the mental image will have to suffice, thanks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All I want to know is exactly how high do you have to be to decide to fire HF up your butt.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

All I want to know is exactly how high do you have to be to decide to fire HF up your butt.

I found a review of chemical enema-induced injuries, and about half were apparently suicide attempts.
Which raises new questions, like "how did you decide that that was the way you wanted to go".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

you... open containers? or you take closed containers out of other containers?

These guys:

I'm checking placarding and for proper securing mostly. I see a bunch of stuff that's come up in the thread. Anyway the nastier PIH A (poison inhalation hazard zone A) stuff might be in cylinders / ampoules/ whatever inside a package inside an overpack secured inside a container. A container in a container in a container in a container. Only have had to call poison control once. Somebody fumigated a container (with methyl bromide) and didn't put up markings. Opened it saw the markings that should have been on the doors on the floor. Closed the doors then called poison control. It takes like an hour for poison control to get back to you after you call. That's an awesome hour, even if everything is ok.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Where did he even get HF from? :psyduck: Im pretty sure you can't just buy that poo poo at Walgreens

vv: Oh. Well guess im just illetrate then!

Agean90 has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Feb 5, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Agean90 posted:

Where did he even get HF from? :psyduck: Im pretty sure you can't just buy that poo poo at Walgreens

Like five posts up:

onemanlan posted:

That being said where did he get HF acid at? Is it freely available in some places? Was he making his on cocaine in an O. Chem lab? Ugh... so many questions that will never be answered.

ArcMage posted:

Various compounds that produce HF acid in solution are available for glass etching. Ammonium Bifluorite and such.

Not that that's definitive, but it will give you a place to start your search should you be planning a colon-melting enema yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
HF isn’t particular toxic, all things considered.

The reason it’s noteworthy is that it’s nasty for such a widely used reagent.

The U.S. produced 208 thousand tonnes of hydrofluoric acid in 2001. Compare that to 1.8 million tonnes of acetone, another common solvent. Yeah, there was more acetone, but consider that for every dozen bottles of nail polish remover under the sink, there’s one bottle of hydrofluoric acid out there somewhere.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Computer viking posted:

I found a review of chemical enema-induced injuries, and about half were apparently suicide attempts.
Which raises new questions, like "how did you decide that that was the way you wanted to go".

Speaking of chemical-related suicide attempts that make you go :stonk:

Repeated suicide attempts by the intravenous injection of elemental mercury.

quote:

Abstract
The case of a patient who repeatedly injected himself intravenously with elementary mercury in suicide attempts is presented and the toxicological effects of this chemical form and route of exposure of mercury are examined. A review of the literature reveals that elemental mercury, when injected as opposed to inhaled, causes few of the effects typical of mercurialism; pleuritic chest pain was frequently reported, whereas renal and central nervous system involvement were less common. Evidence of premorbid psychiatric disturbances was found in ten of fourteen non-cardiac catheterization exposures to intravenous elemental mercury. Findings in our patient were consistent with these observations. One additional and noteworthy finding in our case was that documented deposits of elemental mercury in the right parietal lobe of the brain did not correlate with any specific deficits on neuropsychological testing. Consultation-liaison psychiatry plays an important role in the treatment and care of these complex patients.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Platystemon posted:

HF isn’t particular toxic, all things considered.

The reason it’s noteworthy is that it’s nasty for such a widely used reagent.

The U.S. produced 208 thousand tonnes of hydrofluoric acid in 2001. Compare that to 1.8 million tonnes of acetone, another common solvent. Yeah, there was more acetone, but consider that for every dozen bottles of nail polish remover under the sink, there’s one bottle of hydrofluoric acid out there somewhere.

The burns also don't immediately show any symptoms like other acids do. So it might be doing its thing for hours before someone realizes they spilled it on them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Isn't the point of suicide that it's supposed to be quick and painless? Injecting yourself with mercury seems like it would be neither. It's like committing suicide by swallowing something radioactive so you can die from intestinal cancer.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Collateral Damage posted:

Isn't the point of suicide that it's supposed to be quick and painless? Injecting yourself with mercury seems like it would be neither. It's like committing suicide by swallowing something radioactive so you can die from intestinal cancer.

You either die or get superpowers so I guess the guy was just going for the 50/50 chance.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Collateral Damage posted:

Isn't the point of suicide that it's supposed to be quick and painless?

Some people have a lot of self-loathing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's almost like people who have progressed to carrying out a suicide attempt aren't necessarily the most logical, rational people around. v:v:v

vorpal
Dec 31, 2007

Agean90 posted:

vv: Oh. Well guess im just illetrate then!

Try Amazon.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

DemeaninDemon posted:

The burns also don't immediately show any symptoms like other acids do. So it might be doing its thing for hours before someone realizes they spilled it on them.

Yeah HF would be less dangerous if it was a typical strong acid. It isn't so much it's potency as an acid as it's the toxic effects of fluoride which make it so dangerous. If say, HF was a strong acid it would burn more (clearer warning) and would be less able to penetrate skin (HF molecules travel through membranes more easily than dissoicated F- ions).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Consider some of the things people used to volutarily put in their body...

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Get out of here with that snake oil bullshit, I bet it doesn't have ANY radium left in it.

There's only one way to get your doctor reccommended radium water!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ATP_Power posted:

Get out of here with that snake oil bullshit, I bet it doesn't have ANY radium left in it.

There's only one way to get your doctor reccommended radium water!

... and then my jaw fell off....

I remember a goon who actually owns one of those 'reinvigorator' devices posting pictures of it. I think he was a scientist/science teacher. Anyone remember who that was?

I'm pretty sure it still had an intact radium source, too.

Say Nothing has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Feb 9, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I remember a goon who actually owns one of those 'reinvigerator' devices posting pictures of it. I think he was a scientist/science teacher. Anyone remember who that was?

genesplicer?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It sounds like something Genesplicer would own.

Medicine was so much more fun in the past...

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Batty sounds legit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

You either die or get superpowers so I guess the guy was just going for the 50/50 chance.

Maybe he was hoping once he got to 47% mercury, he could get to be one of those shapeshifters from Fringe.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I PMed him and asked him to join us in the thread.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Say Nothing posted:

I remember a goon who actually owns one of those 'reinvigorator' devices posting pictures of it. I think he was a scientist/science teacher. Anyone remember who that was?

Yep! That'd be me. I've got a Revigator from the 20's.

As you can see, it sits, pride of place, on a shelf in my house.

Contrary to what the label reads, these did not contain radium. They actually contain uranium ore. Yes, they are highly radioactive. Just not quite as radioactive as radium ore would be.

100,000 counts per minute.
Luckily it's mostly alpha and beta decay, so the hazards are minimized. Yes, it is amazingly radioactive inside, but the levels drop to background a foot or so away.

Speaking of hazardous (or at least mildly so) materials, I recently added a new element to my collection. I have a sample of Tellurium. How I came to own it is mildly interesting. The container (a cardboard tube much like a poster tube) looked rather old, and came from a chemical company called Eimer and Amend. A little google-fu turned up the fact that this company was established in 1871 and was bought out by Fisher Scientific in 1940. The label indicates that this particular sample was from sometime between the 20s to the acquisition in 1940. So, where did I get this mildly toxic, antique wonder? From my school. We were doing a major clean-out of the store room behind my classroom (It links two science rooms). This room has not been properly cleaned out in years. I found newspapers from the 1980s and an actual GLASS water cooler bottle. There was a cabinet in the corner that nobody used and contained a bunch of old materials that had not been touched in decades. The cabinet has 36 drawers, all about 10 inches wide, 4 inches tall and a foot deep. I began going through it, getting rid of coils of wire, old flashlight bulbs, rotting rubber stoppers and batteries that expired during the Carter administration. At the very back of one drawer was the tube of Tellurium.

Then I realized. The cabinet was not built in, but was free standing. On the back was a bit of graffiti "Jake L. was here 6/10/77". Our current school was built in 1977. This cabinet was transferred from our old school site, which was built in 1938. There is a very good chance that this Tellurium was part of the original stock that was purchased when our school first opened 75 years ago. And nobody have ever used it for anything. I took it out and put it on my desk. It just so happened that our district safety inspector saw it later in the day and vapor locked. She made me promise to give it to the disposal crew who would come by the next week. I couldn't let this get thrown away, so I took it home instead.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What's 100,000 CPM in rads?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

7thBatallion posted:

Approximately :krad:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

7thBatallion posted:

CPM is a unit of radioactivity. Rad is a unit of absorbed dose. You can’t convert between them directly.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

That CD V-700 geiger counter you have there looks absolutely :krad: as well.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

7thBatallion posted:

It's very, very roughly equivalent to about 1mSv/hr. Which, if absorbed just right, would produce 0.1 rad equivalent absorbed dose. Again you'd need a lot more information on that Geiger counter and where the dose was absorbed to do this at all accurately.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Mar 8, 2014

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Rectus posted:

That CD V-700 geiger counter you have there looks absolutely :krad: as well.

I have 5 of them. Quite a few years ago, the Federal Government finally got out of the Cold War business (sorta) and closed down all the Fallout shelters. They surplussed all the emergency supplies. ONe organization go ahold of a pile of the Geiger counters (As well as dosimeters and chargers) and was giving stuff away to science teachers at the NSTA convention that year. You could get two. Since Mrs. Genesplicer and I were both at the convention, we got two each. As for the fifth, there was one, slightly different, Geiger counter sitting on the floor behind the table at the convention. I asked the representative about it and he told me it was broken. When he told me it was going to be thrown away, I asked if I could have it for parts. He gave it to me. Examination revealed that it was a different maker, and the only problem with it was that it required 5 D batteries, rather than the usual 4...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

It's very, very roughly equivalent to about 1mSv/hr. Which, if absorbed just right, would produce 0.1 rad equivalent absorbed dose.

Alpha/beta radiation like that will only really be absorbed if you do something incredibly silly like drink it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

genesplicer posted:

Yep! That'd be me. I've got a Revigator from the 20's.

As you can see, it sits, pride of place, on a shelf in my house.
Brilliant, I even found a picture of the right one.

genesplicer posted:

I have a sample of Tellurium.
If you start smelling like garlic for no reason, get to a hospital!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Lone Badger posted:

Alpha/beta radiation like that will only really be absorbed if you do something incredibly silly like drink it.

So if you use it for its designed purpose?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

7thBatallion posted:

So if you use it for its designed purpose?

precisely. I may, some day in the future, fill this with water, as they designed it then drain the water and test it to see how much residual radiation remains in the water. The only problem I have is figuring out how to dispose of it, seeing as how I will now have some definite low-level radioactive waste.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

genesplicer posted:

precisely. I may, some day in the future, fill this with water, as they designed it then drain the water and test it to see how much residual radiation remains in the water. The only problem I have is figuring out how to dispose of it, seeing as how I will now have some definite low-level radioactive waste.

Wouldn't it probably wind up being low enough that you could just dilute it until it becomes background level and pour it down the drain?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wouldn't it probably wind up being low enough that you could just dilute it until it becomes background level and pour it down the drain?
Then you are making homeopathic nuclear waste.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

genesplicer posted:

Why not just bring it to one of toxic waste disposal facilities that exist for getting rid of old, toxic electronics and other questionable materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
With the amount of awesome and slightly dangerous science materials, I wouldn't be surprised if genesplicer had a spare demon core in his attic or something.