Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
I'm going to Boston Calling Sunday in May, but am strongly considering attending the September edition as well. Surprised they brought back The National for the headliner, but they were amazing last year so it's not a huge upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What's up fellow (soon to be) Boston goon!

Here's the day to day lineup, which was just released today:

Friday:

Future Islands
Neutral Milk Hotel
The National

Saturday:

Clifflight
S.Carey
Sky Ferreira
Bleachers
The Hold Steady
Volcano Choir
Girl Talk
Childish Gambino
Lorde

Sunday:

Gentlemen Hall
San Fermin
White Denim
The War On Drugs
Lake Street Dive
Twenty One Pilots
The 1975
Spoon
The Replacements
Nas x The Roots

Sunday has the best lineup for sure, so I'll probably just go to that one. Friday is mighty tempting with NMH and The National though...

Don't sleep on Future Islands man. They are fantastic.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Saw the Replacements at Riot Fest in Toronto last fall. I'm not a big fan at all but I enjoyed it. the folks I went with have been waiting years and years and knew every lyric of every song. They were all suitably impressed.

Josh Freese was drumming and he elevates any band he is in.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Anonymous John posted:

http://lineup.governorsballmusicfestival.com/?sort=day now has the day by day lineup for Governor's Ball. Did any of you go last year? I'm going this year and am wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind logistically.

From what I can remember, Friday was basically Woodstock part 2. It poured all day and all night. The next day it was just muddy as poo poo. My friends and I were coming back from a night of bar hopping in Brooklyn and we saw people covered in mud and didn't know why. It wasn't until I leafed through the Village Voice and saw it that I realized that's what was going on.

Now back to the line up:

Holy hell, this line up is amazing. If I was to go, it would be Saturday hands down. Friday looks good with Outkast, Phoenix, Washed Out and others and Sunday looks good with J. Cole, Frank Turner, and Vampire Weekend, but Saturday kills it. The Strokes, Chance the Rapper, Disclosure, and Jack White all on one night? If I had to choose, that would be the night. Also if you go, see Deafheaven. They're possibliy the most un-death metal death metal band out there.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

screenwritersblues posted:

From what I can remember, Friday was basically Woodstock part 2. It poured all day and all night. The next day it was just muddy as poo poo. My friends and I were coming back from a night of bar hopping in Brooklyn and we saw people covered in mud and didn't know why. It wasn't until I leafed through the Village Voice and saw it that I realized that's what was going on.

Now back to the line up:

Holy hell, this line up is amazing. If I was to go, it would be Saturday hands down. Friday looks good with Outkast, Phoenix, Washed Out and others and Sunday looks good with J. Cole, Frank Turner, and Vampire Weekend, but Saturday kills it. The Strokes, Chance the Rapper, Disclosure, and Jack White all on one night? If I had to choose, that would be the night. Also if you go, see Deafheaven. They're possibliy the most un-death metal death metal band out there.

This year will be my first time going, I'm going on Saturday to see Jack White, The Strokes, Broken Bells, Spoon and so many more - it really is a killer lineup. I'm hoping the weather pans out better this year - is anyone else here going?

Hopefully they will release the set times soon to see if they'll be any conflicts

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Both Bonnaroo and Firefly announced they'll be doing single day tickets, currently on sale.
Bonnaroo's schedule also was released today, now with more intense conflicts than ever!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

AAB posted:

Both Bonnaroo and Firefly announced they'll be doing single day tickets, currently on sale.
Bonnaroo's schedule also was released today, now with more intense conflicts than ever!

Is Bonnaroo a typo here because this got me excited and I started googling for Bonnaroo single day tickets and I'm finding nothing.

edit: Eh, finally found it, a shuttle bus thing where you have to come back only 12 hours later.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 6, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've got myself tickets to Sonisphere Festival in Knebworth this year, so Far the line-up is mostly band's I can have fun with (Metallica,Slayer,Iron Maiden, Prodigy) but I'm not huge fans off.

It'll be my first festival not staying in the main campsite so I'm quite excited.

I'm going too! It's my first festival ever, plus I'm there for all three days. I think it'll be a baptism of fire.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

henpod posted:

I'm going too! It's my first festival ever, plus I'm there for all three days. I think it'll be a baptism of fire.

You've made a good choice, ive done all of the "Big 3" Rock/Metal Festivals Over the years (Reading/Leeds,Download,Sonisphere)plus several of the smaller one's and Soni is by far the most fun and well organised.

FYI Friday is Wrestling day I hope you've got your outfit sorted, I'm going as Bret "The Hitman" Hart :clint:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Riot Fest is going big this year

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

AAB posted:

Flaming Slips vs. Frank Ocean vs. Nick Cave vs. Skrillex and Friends. :psyboom:

Since Jack White is getting the big headliner slot at Bonnaroo, I bet he'll close out Governor's Ball as well, with The Strokes playing right before him (the organizers already stated that they won't be conflicting). Unfortunately, this makes it very likely that The Strokes will clash with Disclosure at Gov Ball.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Gaz2k21 posted:

You've made a good choice, ive done all of the "Big 3" Rock/Metal Festivals Over the years (Reading/Leeds,Download,Sonisphere)plus several of the smaller one's and Soni is by far the most fun and well organised.

FYI Friday is Wrestling day I hope you've got your outfit sorted, I'm going as Bret "The Hitman" Hart :clint:

Awesome! Also, didnt know about wrestling day. I might hide that fact from my friends who are also going for the first time and enjoy their confusion.

Any tips for a newbie, like, things you wish you had the first time you went. Wet wipes? Lube?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

henpod posted:

Awesome! Also, didnt know about wrestling day. I might hide that fact from my friends who are also going for the first time and enjoy their confusion.

Any tips for a newbie, like, things you wish you had the first time you went. Wet wipes? Lube?

My first time at a festival I didn't take a tent so yeah take a tent for definite....

I recommend wet wipes/toilet roll/sun lotion/bottled water(for drinking and washing) as essential's, put any spirits your planning on taking into plastic bottle's, glass isn't allowed in the campsite, earplug's for sleeping are a good tip as well as an eyemask if your sensitive to light like me.

A camping chair with a can holder and a small battery operated CD Player will greatly improve your campsite/social experience and if you are hoping for some sweet sweet festival campsite loving try to get it in on the thursday or friday as people tend to be a bit "ripe" as the festival goes on.
Money is important I budget about £100 a day for food,booze and merch which is overkill really but better to have more than less I personally prefer going into the arena when it open's and staying in most of the day watching band's.

Bring some non perishable foodstuff's with you like cereal bar's etc there's loads of food van's in the arena but there all much the same and quite expensive, there are a few awesome one's though.
Don't camp to near the arena and definitely explore the campsite after the bands stop there's always crazy poo poo going down.

Check out the Sonisphere and efestivals forums (I post on them under similar names) there's some fun discussion's on there.

Watch BABYMETAL and If you see a Drunk guy dressed as Bret Hart with an arm full of tattoo's (or on any other day look's a bit like Jamey Jasta from Hatebreed) feel free to say Hello.

It's a bit haphazard but I hope that helps...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bliggers- posted:

Riot Fest is going big this year

Man I just caught the Chicago's riotfest lineup. How are there two better festivals than lolla this year????????? :wtf:

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 14, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's incredible how much better Riotfest is than Lolla and the whole thing costs less than(I think) one day of Lolla :psyduck:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
They just added The Cure to the Toronto lineup too. That Chicago lineup is nuts.

$99 early bird weekend passes can't be beat either

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

What up Patti Smith gently caress yeah! Riot Fest Chicago is gonna be amazing

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Gaz2k21 posted:

My first time at a festival I didn't take a tent so yeah take a tent for definite....

I recommend wet wipes/toilet roll/sun lotion/bottled water(for drinking and washing) as essential's, put any spirits your planning on taking into plastic bottle's, glass isn't allowed in the campsite, earplug's for sleeping are a good tip as well as an eyemask if your sensitive to light like me.

A camping chair with a can holder and a small battery operated CD Player will greatly improve your campsite/social experience and if you are hoping for some sweet sweet festival campsite loving try to get it in on the thursday or friday as people tend to be a bit "ripe" as the festival goes on.
Money is important I budget about £100 a day for food,booze and merch which is overkill really but better to have more than less I personally prefer going into the arena when it open's and staying in most of the day watching band's.

Bring some non perishable foodstuff's with you like cereal bar's etc there's loads of food van's in the arena but there all much the same and quite expensive, there are a few awesome one's though.
Don't camp to near the arena and definitely explore the campsite after the bands stop there's always crazy poo poo going down.

Check out the Sonisphere and efestivals forums (I post on them under similar names) there's some fun discussion's on there.

Watch BABYMETAL and If you see a Drunk guy dressed as Bret Hart with an arm full of tattoo's (or on any other day look's a bit like Jamey Jasta from Hatebreed) feel free to say Hello.

It's a bit haphazard but I hope that helps...

Haha, this is good advice! Thanks. I definitely would have gotten my booze confiscated, so the plastic bottle thing is a good shout. How's the weed thing there, I plan to take a whole bunch with me - or is it quite difficult to get it in and smoke?

I will keep an eye out for you! I shall bellow GOON.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

henpod posted:

Haha, this is good advice! Thanks. I definitely would have gotten my booze confiscated, so the plastic bottle thing is a good shout. How's the weed thing there, I plan to take a whole bunch with me - or is it quite difficult to get it in and smoke?

I will keep an eye out for you! I shall bellow GOON.

Hahahaha I'll keep an ear out, I don't smoke myself but my friends usually have some (amongst various other narcotics) with them, your best bet is to hide it on you somewhere as I've never seen anyone searched maybe a rubdown here and there, I've definitely seen bags get searched.

One of my smarter friends will usually hide it between cans in a crate of beer and glue's it sealed.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So micro-coachella announced its lineup

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

incoherent posted:

Wow thats a pretty amazing lineup

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

incoherent posted:

God, I love those people who arrange this one. They always knock it out of the park. Going for sure.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

:ssh: its goldenvoice (and fyffest)

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

incoherent posted:

FYF's been killing it with lineups the last couple of years.

Can't wait to get my neck broken during the blood brothers set.

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

Now back to the line up:

Deafheaven are un-death metal because they play black metal and not death metal.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

incoherent posted:

They had me at Slowdive. Fantastic lineup!

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Fermented Piss posted:

Deafheaven are un-death metal because they play black metal and not death metal.

When you really aren't into metal it all sounds the same. So sue me.

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

When you really aren't into metal it all sounds the same. So sue me.

Agreed, but about bland indie rock.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Governor's Ball schedule is out: http://clashfinder.com/m/governorsball2014nyc/

Saturday is pretty chill but Friday and Sunday each have some painful clashes. Outkast vs Damon Albarn fuuuuck.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Has anyone been to Electric Zoo? Is the venue good and cool?

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Yes, I went last year just to EZoo's Saturday. Randall's Island is pretty cool and I thought that Made Events really had their poo poo together in terms of organization, sound quality, water refills, etc.
That said, I did not enjoy myself due to being stuck with people who only wanted to see lovely big room house, and I spent $200 on a single day ticket which was totally not worth the money for what amounted to a bunch of bros and hoes and huge LED screens.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Any festivals in Europe worth going to that isn't Sonishphere, Glastonbury or Icelandic?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well I'm at Primavera Sound in Barcelona right now and it's unreal. Headlined by National, QOTSA, Arcade Fire, NIN. I'm here for Mogwai, Godspeed, Slint, Warpaint & Television.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I really really really want to go to Primavera.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Not going to be able to do Bonnaroo which is a huge bummer, at least I didn't buy tickets yet.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, who's got some packing lists of stuff they are bringing to festivals like Roo & Wakarusa?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

89 posted:

So, who's got some packing lists of stuff they are bringing to festivals like Roo & Wakarusa?

I used this in the past

http://bonnaroochris.blogspot.com/p...r-bonnaroo.html

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

89 posted:

I've gone to Roo for the past 3 years (skipping this year, but plan to go back next year). Here's our basic list:

Tent (obviously).
At least one EZ Up.
Cooler, and a really good one. We have a fishing cooler than can keep ice for several days.
Sun screen, and lots of it.
I bring bug spray, but I'm not sure I've ever needed it. I always still prefer to have it.
Water. There's water available for free all over the farm, but you're still going to want some at your campsite.
A couple portable fans.
A camel pak isn't needed, but it sure is helpful.
Water bottles, however, are needed.
Baby wipes.
A blanket you don't care about, or honestly, I've been bringing a shower liner curtain. I use it to sit on if I'm ever seeing a show from far enough away that sitting down is preferred. The shower liner is soft, and thin, so it folds up well to put in a back pack.
Flashlight, and maybe a couple touch lanterns or lights.
Batteries.
Beer in cans, because glass isn't allowed on the farm.
I also usually buy a box of wine or two, open the box and take the bag inside out of it, and freeze it, then put it into the cooler. It'll thaw pretty quickly, and everyone loves having wine.
Snacks. Preferably low fat snacks, like fruit. Apple slices feel really nice. Grapes, too.
A poncho, and shoes stronger than flip flops, in case it rains.
Trash bags.
Phone charger, and preferably something to plug that into, since finding an outlet isn't impossible, but also isn't easy. I bought this last year, and it was perfect. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009USAJCC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Toiletries. Dr. Bonners liquid soap is great because it works as body wash and shampoo, but mouth wash is a good plan too.
Toilet paper wouldn't be the worst idea, but I've never needed the ones I brought.
A bandanna can be really helpful. Drench it in water and throw it around your neck when it's hot. Also, in 2011, it was so dry there were roving dust clouds all over the farm, so we all threw bandannas on our faces like we were train robbers.
Sun glasses.
Ear plugs aren't a terrible idea if you need it to be pretty quiet to sleep, but chances are that won't even help if Skrillex is still going strong into the night and you're trying to sleep.
Hand sanitizer.
You won't regret bring Gold Bond. Just saying.

There's also a general store there for some things if you forget or run out (like sun screen or tent pegs). Also, people in golf carts are driving around selling ice.

Basically, stay hydrated, and don't get sun burnt, and you should be good to go!

...but also all that other stuff I listed.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Not going to be able to do Bonnaroo which is a huge bummer, at least I didn't buy tickets yet.

That sucks man. Two of my buddies have tickets and cannot go now.

E: Roo goers, bring some of the powdered Pedialite! Drink one in the AM, mid-day, and at night and you won't feel dehyradated. Doubly so if you're drinking. My wife and I always go through 3 boxes at Roo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

A first aid kit is also a nice thing to have at a camping festival.

I would also suggest having a tent repair kit. I went to a small festival a week ago and one of the 30" plastic pole sections on my Coleman tent snapped. I managed to ghetto-rig it well enough to sleep through the night, but having a tent repair kit in my car would have been wonderful. So I've ordered one($15 shipped and comes with enough parts to repair a pole several times). It won't be coming to the campsite, but it'll be in a box with any necessary tools and spare tent stakes in the car trunk.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread