Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahaha what's with casting the Wedding Crashers cast for True Detective? Who are they gonna cast next, Isla Fisher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha what's with casting the Wedding Crashers EdTV cast for True Detective? Who are they gonna cast next, Isla Fisher Jenna Elfman?

:colbert:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

romanowski posted:

it should have been peggy

Dammit. I was looking forward to her.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vince Vaughn is a great actor whose career is so far roles that don't suit him. Colin Farrell is pretty good, except he kind of seems like a dummy. Season two is gonna be great

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I don't think it would be possible to pick more one-dimensional male actors, unless they had gone full Keanu. I haven't seen more than a handful or so movies that Farrell has been in, but from Alexander to Seven Psychopats, he literally plays exactly the same. Even in 'In Bruges', which was a good movie, he was the just the same dude, and he was clearly the weakest part of it. I don't even want to get started on Vaughn.

I'm really looking forward to being proved wrong though, with the right director it could end in an amazing turnaround.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

So now do we get 2 pages of teeth gnashing that the season's 2 first episodes were directed by the guy who made some very well made and popular movies?

Cary Fukunaga directing the entire first season was played a huge part in making True Detective what it was. Now that season 2 is going to be multiple directors, I'm a little worried.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Terror Sweat posted:

Cary Fukunaga directing the entire first season was played a huge part in making True Detective what it was. Now that season 2 is going to be multiple directors, I'm a little worried.

I'm more worried about how this is going to affect the quality of the show than Vaughn or Farrell really. The cinematography in the first season was top notch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

novamute posted:

I'm more worried about how this is going to affect the quality of the show than Vaughn or Farrell really. The cinematography in the first season was top notch.

Yeah, to me the big reason that True Detective's first season was so good was that it was the work of one writer and one director. It's pretty common, even in good shows, for there to be a huge difference in feel between episodes simply because someone different is taking a crack at it. This doesn't, as a rule, make a show bad (variety can be nice), but I don't think True Detective would benefit from this effect. However, as I said earlier in this thread, good directors working together for a shared vision won't necessarily create any issues at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it gonna be another 8 episode season?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

When do we start theorizing when Cthulhu is gonna show up?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hangedman1984 posted:

Episode 2 or so based on last season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

hangedman1984 posted:

Right after we learn that Vince Vaughn was in Colin Farrell's head the whole time, despite Colin being in several scenes without Vince around, but before they both realize they're only fictional characters in a television show.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Then throw in a healthy amount of pages' worth of discussion about whether or not the daughter of one of the main characters was raped/molested/something (and probably even by the yellow king/chthulu/both) due to reasons.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

Then throw in a healthy amount of pages' worth of discussion about whether or not the daughter of one of the main characters was raped/molested/something (and probably even by the yellow king/chthulu/both) due to reasons.

Thank you for making me glad I didn't try to catch up with the thread after watching the show only just this August.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
And one or two guys are gonna call it, early, but everybody's going to keep hammering at the molestation poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like how after the fact it's totally obvious to EVERYBODY that the girls were just playing out a Barbie gang-rape for no real reason.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I like how after the fact it's totally obvious to EVERYBODY that the girls were just playing out a Barbie gang-rape for no real reason.

I read far enough into the thread to find out it was probably the car accident that killed Rust's daughter but then it got weird and speculative and so I skipped to the end.

It's whatever you want it to be!

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsnt16MjR6g

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"We're the truest of detectives!"

drat it, that better be in Season 2 now.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm hoping that this season takes on a different pulp genre than cosmic horror. I love the idea of a show that plays with different pulp genres using the detective procedural as a base. Sort of like American Horror Story does with horror. Well, hopefully better than that.

There's so much cool poo poo you could do. SciFi, Sexploitation, Delinquent, Horror...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, here's the origin of the name True Detective:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_(magazine)

Do you get it now? Do you get it? Does the casting of Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn, and before that, McConaughey and Harrelson make sense? Do you finally get it, you loving dummies? Do you finally get the very obvious play on words that Pizzollato is providing for your simple brains to comprehend? Do you finally synthesize the two obvious halves of a divided season? Nope. You're still trying to solve the show like a puzzle, and getting pissed off that your idiotic apprehension of the show is "wrong".

edit: I posted this with a Wikipedia link because that's the only source of knowing that you loving computer janitors can accept or validate.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 27, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This thread's really hitting its stride now.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sector_corrector posted:

Do you get it now? Do you get it? Does the casting of Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn, and before that, McConaughey and Harrelson make sense? Do you finally get it, you loving dummies? Do you finally get the very obvious play on words that Pizzollato is providing for your simple brains to comprehend? Do you finally synthesize the two obvious halves of a divided season? Nope. You're still trying to solve the show like a puzzle, and getting pissed off that your idiotic apprehension of the show is "wrong".

edit: I posted this with a Wikipedia link because that's the only source of knowing that you loving computer janitors can accept or validate.

Idgi

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

please explain

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I too take the internet seriously

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Just to contribute to the Colin Farrell chat, if you're looking for another movie he did a great job in check out "Intermission." He plays a completely worthless rear end in a top hat and nails it(serious post).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wachepti posted:

Just to contribute to the Colin Farrell chat, if you're looking for another movie he did a great job in check out "Intermission." He plays a completely worthless rear end in a top hat and nails it(serious post).

This movie is worth it for Colm Meaney alone, but Cillian Murphy is also in it as well.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It's always fun when people judge casting announcements without knowing anything about what the role will be like. One dimensional actors can be serviceable... Assuming they sticking to that one dimension.

That being said it is hard to imagine vince vaughn on a show that resembles what s01 was like.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought Vince Vaughn was fine in the The Cell, which is in some ways is thematically similar to True Detective. Although The Cell used science fiction elements to explore its themes....

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Vince Vaughn is an actor with great potential and probably the worst agent you can have. He could be a Dennis Hopper but he's relegated to being a dude who might be drunk or tough in a comedy movie.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Snak posted:

I thought Vince Vaughn was fine in the The Cell, which is in some ways is thematically similar to True Detective. Although The Cell used science fiction elements to explore its themes....

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about The Cell. I haven't seen it in ages but I remember it being tense, trippy, and well made. Yes, I am praising a 15 year old movie starring Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Lopez. What has this thread done to me!?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Cell owns, but it is probably not a good movie. In fact other than Vince D'onofrio, I'd point to the casting as one of the main things that ruins it, because both Lopez and Vaughn are loving terrible.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The Cell owns, but it is probably not a good movie. In fact other than Vince D'onofrio, I'd point to the casting as one of the main things that ruins it, because both Lopez and Vaughn are loving terrible.

D'onofrio was pretty goddamn :stare: in it though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

It was a beautifully shot movie though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Too bad the makeup artists drew white moustaches on everybody.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

syscall girl posted:

Thank you for making me glad I didn't try to catch up with the thread after watching the show only just this August.

There was a dude who spent the entire run of the show convinced that Marty was the real killer, it was pretty cool.

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square
So besides the actors is the filming location already known?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Genetic squares posted:

So besides the actors is the filming location already known?

LA

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Just binged through season 1 on On Demand(tm) and holy poo poo this show's amazing. Kinda was "eh" on the dynamic between the two leads at first, but it developed real well in the last few episodes. I cannot wait for season 2 for Vince Vaughn to show up, he's gonna be great for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

KillerQueen posted:

I cannot wait for season 2 for Vince Vaughn to show up, he's gonna be great for this.

:frogout:

• Locked thread