Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hepscat posted:

Why is it that only once in a blue moon one of these missing kids is strung up on as bridge in an antler crown? There seem to be way more missing children swept under the rug than have been sacrificed ritually. I'm curious how that's all going to connect up.

Oh man The Wedding Planner is on right now.

I think that's a good question. It might be a rogue element of the cult, or maybe a ritual which is saved for special occasions. The last thing I'd think a secret sex/murder cult would want would be an identifiable calling card murder that would attract police and media attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Chantilly Say posted:

Best show, worst thread.

E: If you get the opportunity, I recommend gassing this thread.

It'll just keep happening again and again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lawnie posted:

There was another definite anachronism in the show. While Cohle is interviewing the baby killin girl, there's a pack of camel blues on the table. In 2002, camel blues were still camel lights.

This doesn't detract from the show in any way and, in fact, I find that sort of charming. It's an honest "oops."

OR...

The pack of smokes, the Subaru and the Melvins songs are all ripples from a time displacement paradox the yellow king acolytes have torn into the fabric of the space time continuum. It's all there, spelled out clear as day in the necktie patterns.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The biggest mystery I've encountered on the show - as an Italian - is what the gently caress could Marty's wife have put inside that bowl of spaghetti to cause such an odd crunch as he chewed it....

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duro posted:

The biggest mystery I've encountered on the show - as an Italian - is what the gently caress could Marty's wife have put inside that bowl of spaghetti to cause such an odd crunch as he chewed it....

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was unnerved by that. Definitely the most disturbing scene so far.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Something like that takes a lot of planning.

Yeach, I figure the elaborate scenes are like fine cuisine where you make an occasion of it, wheras the meth fortress captive kids and stuff like that are just hungry man dinners.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Duro posted:

I thought Maggie had poisoned him, or maybe added some alley almonds.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

ruddiger posted:

OR...

The pack of smokes, the Subaru and the Melvins songs are all ripples from a time displacement paradox the yellow king acolytes have torn into the fabric of the space time continuum. It's all there, spelled out clear as day in the necktie patterns.

They are breaking time with their rituals, changing the course of the flat circle. And when a circle changes course, what does it become?

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

OR...

Add to all that the fact that Reggie Ledoux's towel, while faded and obviously very old, features an unmistakable My Little Pony design in the newer/reboot/whatever style, which was of course unavailable in 1995: http://i.imgur.com/ZO3WICy.jpg

E: oh you mother effer

At least I had the decency to link it, so as to not blow anyone's mind.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Just out of curiosity, why do we see him in a jock strap or towel? Why doesn't Ledoux wear pants?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Marty is stupid on purpose. He is keenly aware of right and wrong, and the value of boundaries, but he does not allow himself to think about them. You cannot have that much dissonance without, at some level, a subconscious choice to never examine it. He instinctively aborts any thread of thought that would condemn him, and this internal confusion has bled into his work.

Multiple times, his bosses and Rust have complained how lovely a detective Marty is - unable to solve a crime without a dotted line. Marty's only function is to be an interface between Rust's hostile brilliance and the rest of the bureaucracy.

I hope that, having lost his family to his sins, Marty may have begun to learn who he truly is. It certainly sounds like modern Marty is more aware and accepting of his flaws. Hopefully, his clarity will make him a better man and a better detective.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Squidster posted:

Multiple times, his bosses and Rust have complained how lovely a detective Marty is - unable to solve a crime without a dotted line. Marty's only function is to be an interface between Rust's hostile brilliance and the rest of the bureaucracy.

Marty is regarded as a very good detective. That comment from his superior was about how impossible it is to solve a murder outside of a certain time frame.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Duro posted:

It's the South, and the 90s, so

?

I dunno.

Full disclosure I'm from the Midwest and this seems like more of a 90s thing you'd put in family food here. Might get laughed out of the South for all I know.

edit: http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/scooters-spaghetti

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 25, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Marty is regarded as a very good detective. That comment from his superior was about how impossible it is to solve a murder outside of a certain time frame.
Episode 2 - 51:35: To Marty: "You ever solve a murder been in the red more'n a week? You ever clear a one where two rounds of questions didn't hand you the loving answer?"

I agree that the main thrust of the scene was about how cold cases tend to stay cold, but I think there was some admonishment of Marty in there too. We haven't seen a whole lot of detective insight, or commendations other than solving the initial Yellow King case.

Consider how unwanted Rust is when he shows up in Louisiana. Would a two-legged coldsore with IA rumours get paired with the local hotshot, or would he get stuck with someone average where he can't do any harm?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Otisburg posted:

Yeach, I figure the elaborate scenes are like fine cuisine where you make an occasion of it, wheras the meth fortress captive kids and stuff like that are just hungry man dinners.

There's also the fact that the profiles of the victims are different. The ritualistic deer-antler murder victims are all young adult women, and we know Dora Lange at least was involved with the cult before her murder - she talked to her husband about being a "nun" for the Yellow King. The kidnapping of children on the other hand just seems like miscellaneous sadism without any real visible ritual, no bodies turning up, and a mix of boys and girls.

Squidster posted:

Episode 2 - 51:35: To Marty: "You ever solve a murder been in the red more'n a week? You ever clear a one where two rounds of questions didn't hand you the loving answer?"

I disagree, I think he was just stating a fact that once cases go cold, they just don't get solved. He was trying to convince him that it was a pointless exercise, and it was better to hand it off to the special investigation team and get it off their hands. It's the old thing where once 72 hours passes, the chance of solving a case plummets.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 25, 2014

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

I greatly approve of portraying bronies as members of a murderous cult.

Now picturing Marty finding some horrendous brony pictures in the shed instead of the two children.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 25, 2014

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Wax Lion posted:

She had the little devil figure in her apartment and the mirror plastered with photos of girls and then used every tool at her disposal to get Marty to sleep with her again. Maybe next episode we'll find out what her plan is. Please let there be a plan for this permutation of the female character who gets naked and wrecks Marty's life with sex.

whalesteak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 21, 2014

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Speaking of Marty's daughter, it's been floated a few times but I really hope her goth poo poo doesn't somehow tie in to the Yellow King cult. The whole "murderous Satanic cult" is kind of a bad cliche as is.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 687 days!)

it's 2002, that's just what teenagers looked like then

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I liked the episode. It felt heavy and oppressive. I only disliked how Rust compromised himself... And that Tuttle wasn't played by Clancy Brown.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Duro posted:

Yeah that spag definitely looked overcooked and oversauced, but at least it's not an anachronism (sadly).

Since we're all piling on this stuff, isn't Cohl'es ledger a moleskine?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Good god, Maggie is loving awesome.

No she's not, but her actress is. She nailed the phases Maggie goes through: switched-off calculating vengeance; mechanical seduction followed by shell-shocked pulling up pants; now-I-can-leave cold elation, and 2012 I AM A BAD LIAR face.

Seriously, I was so impressed with the facial expressions this episode. Marty's alternating alarmed and hungry looks at Beth, Cohle's checking out at his job, and Maggie's I'M LYING TO YOU face. The actress really, really looked like she was a semi-bad liar in the act of lying.

Neurosis posted:

I liked the episode. It felt heavy and oppressive. I only disliked how Rust compromised himself... And that Tuttle wasn't played by Clancy Brown.

Rust looked very, very drunk at that point. I know he wasn't acting stumble-down drunk but Rust can hold his liquor and he looked like a very drunk person who has some experience being very drunk. If Rust was a different person with a different job and lived in a different state he might have pressed rape charges. I think he was that drunk when she walked in and started macking on him with little to no preamble. He was clearly avoiding -- not turning his trunk into her, arms raised at his sides, head averted, eyes closed. That's not really consenting behavior. If he was sober I'd say the 2 seconds of kiss and 15 seconds of pumping would exonerate her, but he was druuunk drunk. If a girl responded to advances with that body language and then hosed back for 15 seconds she'd have no trouble pressing charges later and being believed.

So, did Rust compromise himself? Sort of, but only if you hold him to higher standards than a normal person when on mind-altering substances. Which you might, since he's Rust. And she was obviously, clearly manipulating him for sex. If she's manipulating him for sex and he gives into it when he's sober, fair ball. If she's manipulating him into sex and she's sober and he's really loving drunk, resists passively, and then gives in for equal or less time than he was resisting, I don't know if I agree that he compromised himself. Sounds kinda like rape to me.

Duro posted:

That was a quietly hilarious foley error/weird moment.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 25, 2014

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I think Rust realized what Maggie needed from him and held back at first (turning his head away) and then decided to give her what she wanted, even though it would screw up his relationship with Marty, because she had once been kind to him. There was a moment where you could see him turn his head and make the choice. And it was definitely angry sex- not passion but anger, on both their sides. After seeing him high and dodging bullets there is no way I believe he didn't know exactly what he was doing there. He was helping Maggie out but was pissed at her for putting him in that position.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
A friend of mine responded to Tie Theory by kindly screenshotting some of the women's clothing while she binge watched the show.

This is the flowery result :sun:
http://minus.com/i/TOaZBR2dbH5i

It's no tie theory, but there's some substance. One piece of clothing only, women!

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

babies havin rabies posted:

It's the South, and the 90s, so

?

I dunno.

Full disclosure I'm from the Midwest and this seems like more of a 90s thing you'd put in family food here. Might get laughed out of the South for all I know.

edit: http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/scooters-spaghetti

I've had it in a green bean casserole but this one is just a bit too :barf: for me, no offense to anyone from the Midwest.
I can see it being some week night dinner fare , I suppose. I don't think they're that dedicated to having southern food only

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

cletepurcel posted:

Now picturing Marty finding some horrendous brony pictures in the shed instead of the two children.

his rage fueled bullet to the head would be even more understandable

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gesadt posted:

his rage fueled bullet to the head would be even more understandable

That explains that bit from the ep 7 preview.

Cohle: There's something you're gonna have to look at.
*loads up clop.avi*
Hart: NOOOOO!!! Gahhh!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anachronism aside that's pretty loving funny. Good find!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ryoto posted:

I Lol'd

on another note, does anyone know what cover of Stagger Lee was playing in tonights episode?

I couldn't find it either. I did find out the 'chant' that was playing in Cohle's apartment was Meredith Monk's 'Chore Chant'.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

whalesteak posted:

Also pages ago, but this quote far surpasses all of Dumbwhiteguy's theories for ridiculousness, no 16 year old "deserves" to be punished for having sex, and this scene was pretty obviously used to indicate that Marty had in no way redeemed himself between '95 and '02- both for cheating on his wife and being physically violent with "his" women when he feels have debased themselves.

I didn't say or mean she needed to be punished for having sex but for being a general brat. You also quoted the part where I said she didn't deserve to be slapped no matter what.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Reddit found this:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Look closely at the backgrounds

Probably something about The Locked Room etc etc like Nic P explained in the Behind Episode 7 I guess.

That's actually really creepy. When this wraps up there'd better be a good reason for that or I'm gonna file this show with Lost under "poo poo Made Up As It Went Along."

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

joedevola posted:

That's actually really creepy. When this wraps up there'd better be a good reason for that or I'm gonna file this show with Lost under "poo poo Made Up As It Went Along."

I seriously can't tell what's serious and what's not in this thread any more, outside of tie theory. I think the reason is that sometimes the prop department has a sense of humor, alternately, production isn't designing the show for the .001% of viewers who will freeze frame and analyze the dirty tunic-towel that's onscreen for a combined total of 15 seconds.

If you were joking, then congratulations, I have been trolled.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

So, did Rust compromise himself? Sort of, but only if you hold him to higher standards than a normal person when on mind-altering substances. Which you might, since he's Rust. And she was obviously, clearly manipulating him for sex. If she's manipulating him for sex and he gives into it when he's sober, fair ball. If she's manipulating him into sex and she's sober and he's really loving drunk, resists passively, and then gives in for equal or less time than he was resisting, I don't know if I agree that he compromised himself. Sounds kinda like rape to me.

I wouldn't go so far as rape.

I am probably harsher on him than others are because I am a heavy drinker. Finishing a bottle of whisky is a weekly occurrence. I have never had a problem, no matter how drunk I am, saying no to a girl (and no I'm not a fat dweeb). Indeed, after I pass a point I get less horny and more and more misanthropic, to the level I tell girls to gently caress off and sit and brood. Sex when that drunk is often pretty lovely, anyway. But, obviously, that is my subjective experience, and I may be projecting.

I probably sound like a pretty pathetic goon typing that out.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Something like that takes a lot of planning.

What if they pose and give antlers to the ones who accidentally die during their sick torture/sex sessions?

e: meaning the reason why they're not finding bodies is a lot of those missing persons are still alive and being used by the cult.

JayMax fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 25, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Reddit found this:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Probably something about The Locked Room etc etc like Nic P explained in the Behind Episode 7 I guess.

Hey that reminds me of this dress:

Edit: Eh, oh second thought. It's a bit of a reach.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

sector_corrector posted:

I seriously can't tell what's serious and what's not in this thread any more, outside of tie theory

I don't see what's so absurd about pondering the significance of the same unusual picture repeated in two totally unrelated areas. Especially given the story's preoccupation with symbolism.

That said, the brony towel does maybe suggest the whole show isn't a Kubrickian exercise in obsessive attention to detail.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Reddit found this:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Both tulips, also look at the top of the painting in the bedroom and the mural in the second shot from the hospital - there's a cloud shaped like a parallelogram in both and it's tilted the same way.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010

hepscat posted:

Why is it that only once in a blue moon one of these missing kids is strung up on as bridge in an antler crown? There seem to be way more missing children swept under the rug than have been sacrificed ritually. I'm curious how that's all going to connect up.

My take on this is that the "cult" has become very careful since they got too close for comfort getting exposed in 1995 with the LeDoux case. Now they know Rust is getting close to the truth and possibly involved in Tuttle's death so they're trying to frame him for the 2012 murder.

There's a clear connection between the cult and the police department. The clues that the 2012 detectives were given about Rust probably come from a superior who's trying to pin the new murder on Cohle, which is much easier to do with a ritual-murder out in the open (that resembles details from the 95 case that were not released to the public) than a disappeared child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Yes, a 16-year-old deserves to be punished for having sex in a pickup with two loser 20-year-olds.

• Locked thread