Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Oh hey, Overlord. I got into this game after watching the Freelance Astronauts play it. I've got the other two on Steam - I should probably get playing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
I picked up this game on Steam a couple of years ago, but I seem to have some kind of ....well, unique issue with the game. For some reason, it takes 2-3 minutes to load anything. So area transitions: 2 minutes. Need to pop back to the tower: 2 minutes. Need to go to the pause menu: 2 minutes. It was infuriating, but as far as I can tell, I'm the only person in existence who's had the issue. I just didn't have the patience to play past the first area with that, but it was really too bad, because the game seemed fun.

And now Smite can play it for me, so it all works out I guess.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Cauchemar posted:

Me neither.
I stopped playing because the micro'ing became really obnoxious. After a while every second enemy type could just wipe your entire squad if you're not careful. It basically went downhill from when you get the Blue Minions - they were useless in combat, were constantly dying and trying to ressurrect fellow minions was a huge pain to do. Still you had to have like 5 of those around so you can activate some switch in the water to progress or otherwise you'd need to run back to the last spawn point.
I also got lost constantly, but that was probably my own fault for not paying attention.

Still I'm curious to see the later levels of this place, I think I quit somewhere around the desert area.
Blues do dramatically better if you set them on a guard point behind you since it sets their AI strictly to resurrecting rather than fighting the way it does if you select all the minions and send them forward. Once a minion dies, they'll dart up into a fight, bring the body back to the guard point and resurrect it there. They also work unexpectedly well with a mob of greens since, even though a lot more of them will die than if you'd used browns and reds, but they'll also end the fight much more quickly for you to send the blues in for clean up before the bodies disappear.

Game definitely has some unfortunate control quirks. You can't send minions past a guard marker without assigning them to it by accident and you can't call back minions of a particular type without wiping out your other minion's guard posts. The lack of map and level set-up is kind of confusing and seems reminiscent of a n64 era game more than anything. Swarming stuff with minions is pretty timeless, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Technically speaking, you solved Spree's food problem anyway: fewer living villagers means more food to go round!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Man this game has aged pretty drat well. I vaguely remember the difficulty getting quite dickish later on, but at least for now the game actually remembers that it's more about watching your goofy minions clowning around and smashing every object in sight instead of frame perfect action combat interspersed with having to run back and farm another 30 minions for the next attempt.
The only time I've had to do that was when I did something stupid that got everyone killed, and when I somehow utterly failed to figure out the pattern for the last boss (it's not actually difficult to do). :doh:

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Boss time!

Overlord, Episode 4 - Ever a Glutton

Also, we end up with two 'rare' pieces of loot in this update. Two lucky minions get to lead the pack with a huge armor (crown) and damage (golden fork) upgrade. Here they are!

We are doing commentary for part 5 later on tonight, but if anyone comes up with good names for these two we'll roll with it for as long as they keep on minioning. The upgrade is substantial and won't get replaced by anything for a long while, so it is on them until they die. Hopefully, they will last a while! I will try to be careful with minions that have unique stuff but it is a futile effort.

Smite fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 18, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Technically speaking, you solved Spree's food problem anyway: fewer living villagers means more food to go round!

Even in the midst of the famine, they still have an endless supply of sheep.

They could just eat the sheep.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Smite posted:

We are doing commentary for part 5 later on tonight, but if anyone comes up with good names for these two we'll roll with it for as long as they keep on minioning. The upgrade is substantial and won't get replaced by anything for a long while, so it is on them until they die. Hopefully, they will last a while! I will try to be careful with minions that have unique stuff but it is a futile effort.

Obviously they're Starsky and Hutch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Even in the midst of the famine, they still have an endless supply of sheep.

They could just eat the sheep.

Also the pumpkins and the wheat fields.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also the pumpkins and the wheat fields.

They mention at some point that the harvest won't be in for months and also won't be enough to cover their needs; they seem to re-populate even faster than the sheep.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Archimedes for the crown and Prong for the fork.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
Man, I never even knew about that equipment because I never had a minion survive that second phase. Too bad you can't resurrect your minions in the first game though since you're probably gonna lose those guys to something stupid like drowning in a puddle of water.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SovietPotatoe posted:

Man, I never even knew about that equipment because I never had a minion survive that second phase. Too bad you can't resurrect your minions in the first game though since you're probably gonna lose those guys to something stupid like drowning in a puddle of water.
I thought blues could resurrect them?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Nihilarian posted:

I thought blues could resurrect them?
I think he means recovering long-dead minions, which is something you can do in Overlord 2.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Yes, one of my favorite features of Overlord 2 is support for named, leveled-up minions that can be recovered on castle visits. It adds some depth to the pack following you around. The horde and the morality system are greatly improved in the sequel.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Whenever I fight Melvin, the first thing I do is sweep my minions around the perimeter of the room and smash all the furniture. That way, when phase 2 comes around, I have more room to maneuver and I don't have to worry about my minions getting distracted by breakable objects.

As for the minions, I don't have an opinion on the crown guy, but the one with the fork needs to be Alton Brown.

Smite posted:

Yes, one of my favorite features of Overlord 2 is support for named, leveled-up minions that can be recovered on castle visits. It adds some depth to the pack following you around. The horde and the morality system are greatly improved in the sequel.

Okay now I really need to play this game.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
The subtle differences between the Browns and the Reds is a really cool detail that has gone by the wayside in recent large games. I can imagine picking up equipment like the Fork or the Crown with minions other than the Brown ones would be disappointing.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Blue Ghost posted:

The subtle differences between the Browns and the Reds is a really cool detail that has gone by the wayside in recent large games. I can imagine picking up equipment like the Fork or the Crown with minions other than the Brown ones would be disappointing.

Other minion types can pick up equipment, however that equipment will not show up on anyone other than Browns. It's very disappointing.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Iron Chitlin posted:

Other minion types can pick up equipment, however that equipment will not show up on anyone other than Browns. It's very disappointing.

I never saw any colour other than a brown pick up a unique weapon or hat; I honestly think that Browns get first pick because they can beat up all the other minions when they're clumped together and all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Glad to see an LP of this, I don't think I have the time to play through it again myself.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Seems the Steam version hates my keyboard. I tried a controller and can't keep focus on the spawns. Seems my pre-Steam version allowed you to keep your magic for arena fights, once. There may be a large increase in peasant corpses as well, since I don't remember Spree looking like a graveyard.

Minions love removing their gear as there might be durability.

Going for the "canon" ending means I can't kill friendlies like that bard. Such a dick move can be bypassed by going alone. My two special minions died immediately inside the castle.

I did some sequence breaking in the slave camp and that autosave triggers at the spot where minions would have grabbed that crane. I skipped killing the troll and did not advance where Gnarl mentions the crane.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Sel Nar posted:

I never saw any colour other than a brown pick up a unique weapon or hat; I honestly think that Browns get first pick because they can beat up all the other minions when they're clumped together and all.
They probably run out in the same order/formation as when you're sending them to kill something.

Browns are the best looters, anyway, to where I was selecting their group specifically for it. They absorb the most loot, show it off the best and even break boxes faster than the other types. The game seems to assign individual minions to each crate, so having reds in the mix will often leave them fireballing the wall forever because they don't realize they can't hit the box and blues will be sitting there punching barrels for ages after the browns cleared theirs. Been working through Overlord II and it looks like they thankfully fixed that.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Alien Arcana posted:

Whenever I fight Melvin, the first thing I do is sweep my minions around the perimeter of the room and smash all the furniture. That way, when phase 2 comes around, I have more room to maneuver and I don't have to worry about my minions getting distracted by breakable objects.

As for the minions, I don't have an opinion on the crown guy, but the one with the fork needs to be Alton Brown.

Okay now I really need to play this game.

The resurrection part in 2 is really really terrible, unless they addressed it in a patch. Once you get a hundred dead you'll be looking through a list of them one by one trying to find the good guy.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I can't kill friendlies like that bard.

You have a little bit of leniency with the perfect good rating because there are obvious do-gooder choices you can do to reduce your corruption; a total of like 12% can be restored. Giving the food back was one of them. That being said, I didn't know he counted as a friendly, that's annoying.

Mist Agent
Dec 28, 2012
Going through the GOG version of the game myself, I can safely say that he isn't. I didn't actually mind being one percent corrupted, so I fireballed his rear end. but I didn't get the message you get when you kill someone 'friendly'.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Actually, the canon overlord can be as corrupt as 80%, there are just two Evil options you can't pick. One of them I refuse to pick anyway, and the other I refuse to not pick, so it balances out.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So when you return your minions to a hive so you can summon more of a different colour, do they retain their equipment or is it functionally the same as sacrificing them for health/mana?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Minions are persistent. Until you get them horribly killed, of course.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Overlord is in such a unique place in my heart. Got it originally thinking it'd be a little like dungeon keeper. Sorta was sorta wasn't. The game was totally unique and sadly not many people actually cared about it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The funny thing is that i'm pretty sure i played the first game to completion and the second one for a number of hours, and yet the rolling fatty boss was the only thing i remembered besides "hey this was a pretty great concept, this should be used more". I'm certain this LP will be a constant chain of "oh right, this part rings a bell" moments for me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Smite posted:

You have a little bit of leniency with the perfect good rating because there are obvious do-gooder choices you can do to reduce your corruption; a total of like 12% can be restored. Giving the food back was one of them. That being said, I didn't know he counted as a friendly, that's annoying.

Mist Agent posted:

Going through the GOG version of the game myself, I can safely say that he isn't. I didn't actually mind being one percent corrupted, so I fireballed his rear end. but I didn't get the message you get when you kill someone 'friendly'.
Must of got the reduction bonus applied. I know I got corruption elsewhere for some reason without getting a message about it and had to restart.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Since I went for the opposite playthrough, I never heard the "Gluttonous Overlard" title and that's a thing of beauty :allears:

I can't wait to see what other fun titles you get in a full corruption run.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
Hey, Overlord! My ex (very much a non-gamer) adored these games. Underneath the humor, this game has a pretty clever story with an interesting twist. I always compare the Overlord games with Brutal Legend in my head; Both are console-native RTS-hybrids, but while Brutal Legend has the better setting, Overlord has a better plot and controls.

Also, the Overlord's character design cribs a lot from Sauron from the intro to Fellowship of the Rings. As such, I vote for the Mace when it comes time to gear up.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Can the Overlord jump? It will be strange to watch a Smite LP where he's not jumping and manouvering throgh impossibly tiny gaps very quickly. Your Rogue Legacy LP spoiled me.

This looks like a fun game, will be watching for sure.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I do like how charming these games are, but I only really played the demo and didn't really get into the gameplay. I'm really enjoying this LP so far, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Have another roast pig Melvin... have two... you're a hero now.

SoylentG posted:

Hey, Overlord! My ex (very much a non-gamer) adored these games. Underneath the humor, this game has a pretty clever story with an interesting twist. I always compare the Overlord games with Brutal Legend in my head; Both are console-native RTS-hybrids, but while Brutal Legend has the better setting, Overlord has a better plot and controls.
A combination of the two games would take the word awesome to a whole new level.

Also the overlord won't jump (outside of cutscenes), that is undignified.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

He also doesn't perform any combat maneuvres other than swinging his weapon in a three hit combo. Parrying is for chumps who don't have crazy little goblins to take the hit for them!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Did you see Sauron do crazy backflips and stunts in the movies? No. Because he doesn't need to drat you. Only pathetic elves try to pull that kind of poo poo, and they end up with a mace planted in their face.

On a completely unrelated topic, I really hate the elves in these games (much moreso in the sequel though. drat faeries!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SoylentG posted:

Also, the Overlord's character design cribs a lot from Sauron from the intro to Fellowship of the Rings. As such, I vote for the Mace when it comes time to gear up.

Yeah, the story in this actually works pretty well. I remember not liking the second game's story quite as much. Having watched the LP of Brutal Legend, I can see the similarities. Though your minions tend to follow you a lot more closely in Overlord than your groupies/troops in Brutal Legend.

If you aren't secretly hating elves, they're not written right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Overlord, Episode 5 - Subquests (of Evil!)

The Raising Hell expansion content makes an initial appearance here because I have it installed, but you could also install it after the game is done and play it if you want. I'll be doing it all at the end of the game in any case.

• Locked thread