Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I actually really like the sewer level that's in Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You mean the area with the Gaping Dragon? Yeah, that's a pretty good area. Blight Town is more of a sewer in spirit.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Super Mario Bros. 1-2 is the best sewer level.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CommaToes posted:

Super Mario Bros. 1-2 is the best sewer level.

Only to be outdone by Mario 3, World 7.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Max Payne's sewer level wasn't bad. You spend all of 3 minutes there, kill like 4 guys.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I'm almost certain the sewer level is where I quit back when I first played this, more because I grew more interested in another game I got at the same time, but I think the annoying bits here soured me somewhat on it.

Very much looking forward to seeing what I missed!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Played these games when they were originally released, finally reinstalled them due to the thread and Humble Bundle.

For some reason I remembered Overlord 2 as being very samey to first one. Was bit surprised how much better it looks comparatively.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game spawned a boss right on me and he beat me up during the cutscene. He died in five seconds. I love this game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Smite already pointed out that you're pretty much up against former heroes that each have fallen to one of the seven cardinal sins, but he didn't mention that the Overlord often has the choice to do the same!

Melvin was gluttony, and in his level or "arc" the Overlord had the choice of either keeping the stolen food for himself ("gluttonous overlard") or giving it back to the peasants and not falling to the sin like Melvin did.

Also, from the first time i played these games, i always wondered whether the High Peak's similarity to Stratholme from Warcraft 3 was intentional. The game apes Lord of the Rings pretty blatantly, but the first scene where you enter the refuge camp and one of the guys transforms into a zombie under moans is basically straight out of the Human campaign in Warcraft 3, too.
I wouldn't have been surprised to hear a "This entire camp must be purged."

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
ON the topic of good sewer levels: The one in Amnesia The Dark Descent was great IMHO. A welcome change to its gameplay, and drat tense and AAAHWHATTHEEVERLOVINGFUCK.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

HenryEx posted:

Smite already pointed out that you're pretty much up against former heroes that each have fallen to one of the seven cardinal sins, but he didn't mention that the Overlord often has the choice to do the same!

Melvin was gluttony, and in his level or "arc" the Overlord had the choice of either keeping the stolen food for himself ("gluttonous overlard") or giving it back to the peasants and not falling to the sin like Melvin did.

Also, from the first time i played these games, i always wondered whether the High Peak's similarity to Stratholme from Warcraft 3 was intentional. The game apes Lord of the Rings pretty blatantly, but the first scene where you enter the refuge camp and one of the guys transforms into a zombie under moans is basically straight out of the Human campaign in Warcraft 3, too.
I wouldn't have been surprised to hear a "This entire camp must be purged."

To be fair though, someone turning into a zombie during a zombie plague isn't exactly a giant unexpected story twist.
Also Stratholme didn't have a sewer level.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

HenryEx posted:

The food was taken as supplies, though, and the Overlord already has plenty of roast, tenderized mutton.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

HenryEx posted:

Not just 'often'. Every last area around the first six heroes provides an option to fall to the appropriate sin, or to resist the sin. (If there is one for the last hero, it utterly slips my mind.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Cryohazard posted:

The food was taken as supplies, though, and the Overlord already has plenty of roast, tenderized mutton.

The Overlord isn't exactly short on Brown Life force, so I think that yes, taking the food supplies you don't really need instead of giving it to starving peasants does count as Gluttony.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It gets converted to Life Force, not food for eating. The upcoming choice is even less clear.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Scalding Coffee posted:

It gets converted to Life Force, not food for eating. The upcoming choice is even less clear.

It doesn't loving matter. Same principle. You're ignoring the theme to quibble about semantics. You are right though that these choices are subtle. I didn't always catch the theme myself - like for the Sloth one.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

nweismuller posted:

Not just 'often'. Every last area around the first six heroes provides an option to fall to the appropriate sin, or to resist the sin. (If there is one for the last hero, it utterly slips my mind.)

The last one has the peasants you can kill for betraying you but I don't think there is a sloth one.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
There is indeed a Sloth one. It involves the choice between the easy way to do something, and the right way to do it. That 'last' one you mentioned was the second-to-last hero, not the last. I'm uncertain if there is a Pride choice or not, whereas that was the Wrath choice.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

By popular request black NSA lines have been removed.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 4, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Edit: Was this a spoiler? I'm not sure myself anymore :shobon:

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 4, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
edit: Spoilers removed. :shobon:

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 4, 2014

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Ah, I never considered the final choice in that light. In that event, yes, there are choices associated with all seven sins and all seven heroes.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Please remove the spoilers. All the different heroes are really fun to learn about as the game progresses. Also I have a really cool theory about the end of the game, but we need to wait until we get there.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I'd say that it's WAY too premature to start discussing the bosses of the game.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Yeah I actually like the way the game tells its plot (it has some interesting things to look back on later) and would appreciate we hold back on the spoilers until we've taken down these bosses. There will be plenty of time for discussing this when we get to Raising Hell stuff because the plot will hold still for the bulk of those updates.

Speaking of updates, I'm a bit behind but will probably have one tonight or tomorrow. With blues in hand, we're at a point where we can actually pick the next path. I'm pretty sure the game expects us to go after Oberon. We could have in fact killed him before even going into the understreets, but I'll hold off on sleepy elves for the time being. We're already in the area, so first on the chopping block is this paladin jerk.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Smite posted:

Yeah I actually like the way the game tells its plot (it has some interesting things to look back on later) and would appreciate we hold back on the spoilers until we've taken down these bosses. There will be plenty of time for discussing this when we get to Raising Hell stuff because the plot will hold still for the bulk of those updates.

Spoilers removed.
Would you mind adding "No spoilers" to the OP?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Picked the games up because of this LP, been playing the first one for the past few days.

I'm learning to love greens now that my minion cap is at 30. A full group of greens just melts enemies, and even taking five of them out and putting in blues for resurrection purposes doesn't impair them much. The only problem is when they don't jump back to the guard marker after they're done with a round of stabbing and get shanked by somebody they haven't killed yet.

Although browns are pretty good for crowd clearing. That crown of Melvin's must have amazing stats, and his fork too, because I got them both on one brown and he still has them after finishing Heaven's Peak and all of Evernight except the Oberon fight. I decided to call him Chairman Kaga.

And surprisingly enough, I've run into a few spots where an all-blue party is actually useful.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The boss armors and boss weapons are the best items in the game I believe. I had 1 brown per boss by the end of the game, each decked out in the boss's armor and weapon and they were absolute beasts. It also made me scared of losing them though.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The boss armors and boss weapons are the best items in the game I believe. I had 1 brown per boss by the end of the game, each decked out in the boss's armor and weapon and they were absolute beasts. It also made me scared of losing them though.

Yeah, Overlord 2 lets you resurrect dead minions for that reason, but I think for balance they also made boss items less powerful because of it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I had a brown with that goofy crown and fork last the whole game.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Honestly, naming your minions is as bad an idea as naming the pigs you're growing for Christmas ham. It just makes you more hesitant to throw them into the grinder.

(I still name all of them)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I had a brown with that goofy crown and fork last the whole game.

His habit of being the first to rush into trouble always gets him killed in my games. :sigh:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
...are you people saying that Archimedes won't live forever and ever? :ohdear:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Even his crown does not protect him from water.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Overlord, Episode 12 - End of the Steel Age

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh man, that bit you show off at the end is amazing :allears: I had no idea that happened.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The zombies by that first wheel in the Understreets (2) do not constantly respawn, there's just a lot of them.

Forging takes a lot of minions - Smite is now down to the low double digits for some of them, but farming life-force is what the arena is for. Beetle groups give you a total of 75 lifeforce, so it's very efficient as long as no one dies. I'm up to 30 minions now, and worked out a technique of 12 10 Blues to hang back at a guard marker to guard, 8 10 Greens in two groups to do their invisible sneak attack, and 10 Browns that I sweep out and back to lure a couple beetles at a time back to the ambush point. It works very well as long as you don't attract too many beetles into a fight at once.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 5, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just keep a bunch of browns on a guard marker in the back, along with a pair of blues on a separate one and lure the bugs in yourself, 2-3-4 at a time depending on how many minions you have. All you need to do is move back, sweep in the browns, clean up the results, and go do it again.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

I'm keeping tabs on how many minions I have forged for comparison in the final minion deaths score. Unless you need the gear or lifeforce badly, you're probably better off just waiting until the final set comes along because it will void the previous two due to having better capacity. Not only that, but the further you are in the game, the better gear you can easily get for your minions (in the arena even, if you need to) to make them unbeatable. Also, you should upgrade your weapon first because I can already take on the beetles without much assistance and rake in all the lifeforce.

There's apparently a canceling glitch somewhere in the forging area that lets you back out of forging without spending any minions at all, yet still getting the benefits. I don't know exactly how that works but it would obviously eliminate the grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I used to do it that way, but I think using sweeping of minions as a lure is much faster than running out, back and then calling them to attack. I might use too many blues though, but that's mostly for the times when I screw up.

Please don't futurequote, I wouldn't have seen your reply if my browser hadn't bugged out. Just make a new post.

Smite posted:

There's apparently a canceling glitch somewhere in the forging area that lets you back out of forging without spending any minions at all, yet still getting the benefits. I don't know exactly how that works but it would obviously eliminate the grind.

It got patched out, unfortunately. :(

• Locked thread