Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Oh hey, Overlord. I got into this game after watching the Freelance Astronauts play it. I've got the other two on Steam - I should probably get playing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Whenever I fight Melvin, the first thing I do is sweep my minions around the perimeter of the room and smash all the furniture. That way, when phase 2 comes around, I have more room to maneuver and I don't have to worry about my minions getting distracted by breakable objects.

As for the minions, I don't have an opinion on the crown guy, but the one with the fork needs to be Alton Brown.

Smite posted:

Yes, one of my favorite features of Overlord 2 is support for named, leveled-up minions that can be recovered on castle visits. It adds some depth to the pack following you around. The horde and the morality system are greatly improved in the sequel.

Okay now I really need to play this game.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Last Transmission posted:

With fully upgraded tier 3 equipment you can even wade into the arena mob of beetles solo and mash the attack button all the way to victory.
Still better to aggro them in chunks first, though.

With fully upgraded tier 3 equipment why the gently caress are you still grinding life force?

EDIT: I guess you could have finished the weapon and armor and be working on the helmet but still.

It's really weird how Overlord hosed up the life force economy. If you play through the game normally and get all the bags of gold etc., you have enough money to buy pretty much everything in the game. It works out rather nicely. If you want a big pile of money and everything else you'll have to do some grinding, but not too much. But when it comes to life force? Smite just sacrificed roughly half his army, and he's only about 1/3 of the way to maxing out one piece of Steel equipment. I recently finished the game, having done no enchantment at all, and I couldn't fully enchant a Tier 3 helmet if I emptied all four hives.

Alien Arcana fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 21, 2014

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

The beholder gazer Overseer battle is, in my opinion, the first fight where the limitations of the minion controls start to show. Micromanaging your minions is a pain in the rear end, partly because the lock-on system is so vague and partly because you can't do anything else while you're sweeping a guard marker. It's not that the fight is super-hard or anything, it's just that it's harder than it needs to be due to the control issues.

Also, I don't know if this is happening for anyone else, but the brown guard-marker AI seems to be bugged. The browns will happily swarm the first enemy that comes near them, but once they're pulled out of formation they won't move again, even if they're attacked. If I 'jiggle' the guard marker a bit it resets them, but it defeats the entire point of putting browns on guard markers if I have to babysit them anyway.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I have made a discovery! The ragged cloak that the Overlord is wearing? It's actually one of his banners. If you change the banner, the cloak changes color!

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Smite posted:

I really just wanted to keep Archimedes safe, since he'd be the one marching out there if I used browns and his armor wouldn't save him from a bomb. But yeah, if you use your best browns for something like that and they die, you're hurting your party a lot more than if you lose your 'best' reds. Browns are noticably more useful when geared than the others.

As far as I know, when you send a minion out to grab a bomb (or a lever, a tower object, etc.), the game always picks your *worst* minion, not your best. It's the reverse of usual minion dynamics, probably for exactly the reason that you don't want to risk/waste your front-liners on grunt duty.

That is not to say that I disagree with your policy vis-a-vis reds.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, so that geyser maze at about 9:30? When I got to that part, I hadn't realized yet that you can "sweep" a guard marker. I ended up sweeping without a marker, which was somewhat less than fun because there's no way to make the minions hold still!

On the other hand I never had too much trouble with the snake. One thing I realized early on is that if you call your minions back before they get thrown off, they land back where they started from instead of in the water. You can get into a rhythm of lure, swarm, recall and whittle the serpent down fairly quickly that way (though not as quickly as Smite did it).

And you can get greens to the last boombo bird section in the caves by drowning and reviving them across the pool.

Hunt11 posted:

The last scene of the blues fleeing for their lives with the gold in hand was hilarious.

Also this.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I've had my Reds repeatedly tell me they can't hurt them when i got the forge.

"Fire no hurt it!"
continues to attack anyway

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Hey, the Overlord told them to attack and if it's one thing a Minion does it's obeying the Overlord no matter how stupid and/or suicidal the order is.

The weird thing about reds is they attack even if they haven't been given an explicit order. If there's anything nearby that they don't like, and they're not otherwise occupied, off go the fireballs.

They appear to have fixed that in Overlord II, though, which is nice.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Wow, I really should have been using magic more. I don't think I ever used Flamethrower or Slow or... anything but Fire Bolt and Anger.

Also fun fact: Killing elf ghosts doesn't give you any corruption. Even the peaceful ones in the forest. :black101:

Alien Arcana fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 12, 2014

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Smornstein posted:

I don't know how but one of my minions got a great winged helm, i assume it's from William and i'd post my screenshot but he's got a weapon we haven't seen yet, and the thing is it's really good possibly up there with Melvin's crown in terms of defense the little guy just doesn't die.

I'm pretty sure the winged helm comes from a type of dwarf we haven't seen yet.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

HOLY poo poo that path that lets you sneak up on those crossbow dwarfs guarding the brewery. I had no idea that was there! I always just Fire Bolted them to death.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I can confirm that if you fight your way past the slug swarm, the Mother Slug spawns behind you and you have to fight her immediately.

I know this because I didn't see that loving catwalk my first time through the dungeon. Got to do the entire dungeon backwards AND forwards.

EDIT This does make things a bit easier, though, because IIRC killing the Mother Slug also gets rid of all the individual spawners in the mine.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I always figured the Eighth Hero was a Druid, with his animal skills crossing over to minion-wrangling.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Wudgeous posted:

...speaking of that guy, if he recognized you then he was the BIGGEST butthole of all the heroes, oh my god. His first lines are literally "You! You? I thought we left you for dead in that tower!"

Foreshadowing!

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I was under the impression that it's your choice of mistress that decides the ending, considering they appear in the ending. But I could be wrong.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Would it not be easier to just do the majority of Melvin's abyss without minions? Keep as many as you need to turn wheels but just park them in a corner somewhere and kill stuff/lure Melvin somewhere.

You need minions to hit switches and herd sheep and stuff, though.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Raygereio posted:

The really annoying thing about the mowing minigame (and the breakout one in the last abyss) is that the controls for it (at least on the keyboard & mouse) are really sluggish and unresponsive. They don't work at all for timed, precision tasks.

THIS. It's because the sweep controls are tied to the camera controls (the minions "go where the Overlord is looking"). The gamepad's analog stick is less than perfect for controlling a first-person camera, but very well-suited to guiding your minions around. On the other hand, a mouse is great for the camera, but incredibly bad for maneuvering things that move at a fixed speed.

If the camera were fixed directly overhead and didn't move, sweeping minions with your mouse would be like trying to play Trauma Center with a one-second lag time. But, of course, the camera is usually at a sharp angle to the ground (which gets worse as the minions are farther away) and changes direction as the minions move (which gets worse as the minions are closer), so precision control is almost completely impossible.

I managed to make it through Raising Hell but I did have to consult GameFAQs once or twice.

EDIT: VVVV

Scalding Coffee posted:

The thing about mowing the lawn is that holding something causes minions to move upwards, so you are constantly fighting controls. I imagine a controller would make it trivial, but the time I tried it out, it was so cumbersome and flipping through magic was different than dedicated buttons.

Basically what's happening is the minions are trying to track the position of the mouse, but as they move the camera adjusts to keep them centered, so the mouse is no longer pointing where it was before. If you had enough room and you just held down the sweep button I imagine they'd end up running off toward the horizon.

Alien Arcana fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 17, 2014

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Smite posted:

Back when this game was first released, a chat service called XFire had a built-in, non-taxing stream service so this was probably one of the first games I ever streamed. I broadcasted Oberon's Abyss, wherein I got lost for over 2 hours and bored the absolute hell out of all viewers.

I actually managed to trap myself in the Evernight Abyss the first time I played it - I didn't have enough minions to move forward and I couldn't find a way back to a spawning pit.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Nuramor posted:

You don't even need to go through the Undead seats to get to the backstage area. Only the shooters are hostile from the beginning, everyone else in the ranks attacked because Smite attacked first.

There is also a special secret gently caress-you associate with the undead half of the audience! Whenever the play resets itself, the entire audience instantly respawns. If it happens while you're fighting them, and one of the big ones spawns at the wrong place, you can easily lose half your army before you know it.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

UGH the Infernal Abyss. The grand battle in the beginning was fun, yes... but when I got to the labyrinth, somehow I never came up with the idea of targeting the peasants individually. I think I'd forgotten you could do that with reds. So instead I was either using my own Fireball spell, or just posting the reds on guard markers and letting them figure it out themselves. Which led to... problems, at the Khan segment, because the Overlord isn't fast enough to ignite all the peasants himself, and reds on guard markers tend to focus fire. Then at the door segment immediately afterwards, I didn't think of sweeping, and instead sent my minions out one by one. You can, in fact, do it that way, but I was fighting the game's shaky targeting system all the while.

And then the boss. Holy poo poo. I outright died the first time, and I finished with literally no visible health the second time. Smite made it look easy, but... Well, first of all, the "pillar" deal isn't immediately obvious, and you can deal some damage by swarming him when he headbutts the floor, so it took me a long, long time to catch on. (The game does give you a hint - at one point, there's a cutscene where the God goes after the jester and knocks down the first pillar on his own. But I didn't get what it was telling me.) Getting him to aim at the pillar is also kind of hard, because he doesn't always line straight up.

But the biggest problem is just the issue of managing your minion swarm. See, the thing is, if minions get separated from the main swarm (because, e.g., they stopped to fight a wraith), you lose control of them - they might decide to rejoin the swarm, or they might go back to the Overlord, or they might just stand around like morons. However, the Forgotten God can target any minion. What kept happening to me is I'd sweep my minions over to the pillar, but the God would target the one minion who got sidetracked. Typically, said minion was standing right next to me - that's what killed me the first time.

Also that tornado attack is UTTER BULLSHIT and it killed several full teams of minions.

I'm looking forward to Overlord 2, though. It has some frustrating moments (there's one particular hair-tearer toward the end, which I'll be sure to point out when we get to it) but I never felt like the game was punishing me for not having perfect minion control. And there's a lot of good moments in the game to make up for the occasional problems.

Great job Smite, keep it coming!

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Flytrap posted:

It wouldn't matter; spells choke on donkey dicks in the equal.

This is true.

But that just means you rely on your minions more, which is the point of the game anyway. And in general, Overlord 2 does a good job of presenting you with fights that require more strategy than "throw browns at it until it dies." (It helps that they fixed the bug with browns on guard markers.)

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I just assumed that this poo poo's been happening for a long, long time. Society can't advance beyond the Dark Ages because somebody keeps wrecking the place up every twenty years or so.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Smite posted:

Servers are offline and unlike Overlord 1, there is no hope of getting it to work with some VPN service because it only supports split-screen and not LAN.

...Really? Full online play, or split-screen, but not LAN? How does that happen?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

double nine posted:

One of the things I never understood about overlord is the colour scheme they use for the destruction and domination overlords. I'd expect them to assign them the other way around - if you didn't play the game: destruction overlord colours your castle in a blue hue, whereas domination gives it a reddish colour.

I don't think this is spoiler material, op?

What's your reasoning? It seems pretty obvious to me that destruction is red because blood and fire are red.

EDIT: Derp. I thought he was describing the way it was. Somehow, despite having beaten the game, I forgot what the actual color scheme was.

Alien Arcana fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 8, 2014

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Raygereio posted:

The elven civilian in the Nordberg Sanctuary don't count towards your Tyranny rating, so you can freely kill, enslave or ignore them.

Most civilians don't affect your Tyranny score. The only civilians that affect Domination or Destruction are the ones in towns that you have conquered. And only after you've taken control of them.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Poil posted:

This is also the only place that got flooded.

You see, the water here was closer to sea level, so the rising oceans affected it first.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Letting the Overlords use each others' gates and minion burrows was... an interesting decision.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I didn't see it mentioned, but I'm pretty sure the chests in the village are time-based as well as "how many folks have you dominated" based. They're tiny and have gently caress-all gold in them if you collect them often, but if you wait long enough between collecting (or save/reload if I'm not mistaken) they grow to max size/gold amount. I will admit it's been a long-rear end time since I played, though, so I might be remembering wrong.

I believe you're right. In my last run I was going to use them to grind out all the minion upgrades early and those chests get really, really tiny. I think I was getting about twenty-five gold total per run by the time I gave up.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

You can't have a shortcut if there isn't a valid longer route that's you're shortcutting. It's the definition. :colbert:

It's a shortdetour.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

First time I encountered those pandas, I took Kelda's comment about wanting its pelt to mean that I should fight the thing.

I won, but it took forever and you don't get squat for doing it. Not even a remark from the peanut gallery.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

It doesn't really matter though, because if they do you can still just bring them back to life.

I think that's what he meant.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh yeah, that's the thing that was kinda annoying that I mentioned. Although maybe not for quite the same reasons. My minions would glitch into the wall and disappear sometimes.

Hah, I had some really weird things happening last time I played that segment, but I'll save that for when Smite actually gets there.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

The first time I fought the Spider Queen I couldn't figure out how to knock her down - I never thought to put a flower near the *edge* of the platform, and she doesn't investigate them if they go off anywhere else. I might have figured it out on my own if I could have stopped and examined the situation, but the Queen kept jumping down and eating my minions whenever I took my eyes off her. I think I went through two full cohorts fighting her. I ended up having to look it up on GameFAQs, to my great shame :eng99: Not the worst experience I had playing this game, but it was pretty high up there.

In my last run, I had a very strange glitch on my way up. One of my greens disappeared, and the game only half-registered it - the "you have X minions" counter at the top went down to 29, but whenever I tried to pull out a replacement minion, it would tell me I was at maximum minions. :confused:

Oh, and as Smite demonstrated, those Eradicators are absolute COCKS if you don't get the drop on them. Your minions *cannot* kill them any other way - that beam vacuum can slaughter a full team of minions in just seconds - and by himself the Overlord is just barely tough enough to deal with them. If you accidentally alert one, the best thing you can do is leave the map altogether and come back for another try.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

What are you actually missing out on for not bothering with the "kill/dominate 1000000 villagers" nonsense?

Can i be a "deadly sin: sloth" overlord?

You get special endings if you finish with a perfect domination or destruction score.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Okay. So. That catapult.

Did you see how Smite passed by a big pillar of rock at one point, just past the first barrier? The catapult doesn't shoot at you if you're behind it (since they can't see you). However, if they were already winding up for a shot, they'll fire it off even if they can't see you. And it doesn't look like it, but those boulders will just clear that pillar.

Exactly six browns survived. The entire rest of my horde went up in smoke. There wasn't even colored smoke left, they just completely ceased to be.

gently caress that catapult.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

That loving Salamander King. Okay, so, for that last hit, you have to destroy part of the bridge, right? Go back and look at the thing Smite destroyed. Notice what it's not doing? Giving any indication that it's destructible! It doesn't look like anything you've broken in the past, you can't target it, and it's not gleaming or otherwise calling attention to itself.

I spent so loving long trying to get the little Salamanders to blow up the King, because I figured why else would they be there? :bang:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, it's an unfortunate coincidence that our "drain magic" spell happens to be the same as our "corrupt the innocent" spell.

Also I like that as soon as Fay dies she immediately starts acting like the elf ghosts from Overlord 1.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I thought they were having... smoochies. :blush:

Don't be absurd. The Overlord's mouth is covered by that cloth wrap thing, how could he smooch anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Ok, now that we've reached 100% domination, what's the secret to that tiny little sliver that sometimes remains? I swear I hit all the domination factors properly (even Everlight's rebellion), but I still ended up with a tiny bit of destruction. I've heard rumors that killing 100 seals or doing the 1000 gnome slaying quest counts towards destruction slightly, but that sounds like a load of bull.

The game is glitchy is what's happening :( I've heard that the main problem is the quest involving Senator Drearius - it doesn't always register and apparently you can do it multiple times? Somehow? I know on my first playthrough I went back there later in the game and the whole house was rebuilt and Drearius was back.

• Locked thread