Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Thunderbird

"Anna, don't..." Wakiya's protests are muffled by the sound of his own chopper. He doesn't want students going off on their own, but Anna Marie, at least, has a long history of getting through scrapes by herself. "Keep your eye on the perimeter and your mind on the job, Wisdom. You can call me Jim if that gives you one less reason to be so pleased with yourself. Remy can blast his way out of whatever he gets into.

"Molly, don't do anything I wouldn't do. If there's an earthquake, grab onto your partner. I'm sure nothing can shake him," he calls back, as he revs his bike and sets off behind Forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Gambit takes a look around for good points of entry and exit. It's cold up here but, hey, he's been through colder. One good upside to the outfit is that the dark pants are pretty warm and the jackets are good and thick. The yellow lining on the jacket and bright patches seemed to be eye catching but he was able to hide some of the less subtle pieces under his long coat. It didn't take him long to realise that everyone was still in the town - folks looking out from behind curtains, the occasional person moving indoors - but no one seemed to be paying him much attention. Takes him even less time to find signs of the route around the town that the Reavers had took with the mutant girl attached to the back of their bikes. It's not rained since last night and the long red stain turns his stomach. The girl had died and she'd not died well, quickly or cleanly. She'd probably been wondering why this had happened to her.

Rogue sidles off on her own and heads straight for the club. Maybe she figures that the direct approach will be the best one. Maybe she figures that rednecks flock together. Forge and Thunderbird quickly catch up with her, their bikes flanking Anna with a low growl. They approach the clubhouse, a few bikes parked up outside the front of them. There's a front door with bars running over the front of it vertically - a second door bolted and shut. There are a few small windows on either side of the door and they're barred too. ARound the side there's the usual - gas main running into the building, a dumpster and a ladder leading up onto the flat topped roof of the building. The back of the building, accessible by alleyway, is filthy. Broken glass, trash bags just kind of dumped there. There's a back entrance that's even more heavily barred than the front door. Then again, whoever designed the security for this place didn't account for Jim 'Twelve tonne bench press' Wakiya. There's no one standing guard but it's starting to become apparent there there's no one even inside - and even if there is, they're sleeping off a fairly heavy hangover. Then again, it's one in the afternoon at a one percenter biker bar the day after heavy night of drinking and mutant killing.

Pete and Molly make their way for the Foley residence. It's a few roads over and looks every bit the shithole you might expect. Hey, there's even a couch on the lawn. The grass is overgrown, the cladding on the house bruised and peeling even though this place has only been standing for a couple of years. One of those new post-war jobs. Built by the hundred-thousand all across the country but this one seems like it's older than that somehow. Might have just been one of the first ones to be built. There's a pair of bikes over on the short driveway and an oil stain on the middle of it. Maybe a car that's away right now? Two bikes and a car with a leaking engine. Makes sense. The house itself is a little two floor job, a couple of windows looking out over the road. No lights on inside.

Sion fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 17, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Rogue
"Well look at those rides." Rogue walks up to the motorcycles to check them out. If no one comes and no one seems to be watching still, she'll snap off the brake handles, then do some looking around the nearby area to see if she can find anyone alone.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 17, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Molly

Seeing the condition of the house, and the 'too quiet' of the entire town has Molly spooked, she clams up and stays right next to Pete. Well, mostly behind Pete, honestly.

She's suddenly got a bad feeling about this, bad feelings in spades.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

Remy knew his next action was rooted only in emotion, but he couldn't help himself. As he neared that bright red stripe on the street, he knelt down to "tie his shoe" and, with one hand, touched it. Unwilling to let the Reavers have a petty little monument to their own brutality like this, he used his powers to place enough of a charge it would burn itself off the street before slipping off again into the narrow paths between houses.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"Aw, Anna Marie, not the bikes," sighs Forge, wincing in sympathy for the poor helpless machines. "Go easy on 'em."

He turns to Jim and nods towards the clubhouse. "I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm thinking that if anyone's going to be going inside, it's me. I reckon they'll have less to complain about compared to you or her, y'know?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pete Wisdom

Pete throws his cigarette to the ground and looks over to Molly. Speaking quietly, he tell her, "Alright, love. I'm going to see if anyone's answering. If not, then it's time to toss this place and see if we can find anyone, or any clues about their location or plans. I want you to stay behind me. I can protect you some if they have guns. If not, you can feel free to go at them swinging." Pete reaches for the door and knocks loudly, putting on a grim expression as he stands between the door and Molly, fingers flexing and ready for whatever might happen next.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Gambit puts a hand to the road and a finger to the blood that'd been spread over the asphalt. It doesn't erupt or anything but there's a purple streak that shoots along the path, around one of the corners and behind a building out of sight. It seemed to bleed little hints of purple energy into the air as it went but he'd managed to clear the grizzly memorial from the road. It was more subtle than it could have been and about as subtle as it was possible for Gambit to make it but, still, when you make things explode into purple fire there's only so much subtle that you can come up with. He slips off down some of the alleyways between the houses - clapboard cladding and fenced off gardens. He could hear people in the back yards - seemed that this place wasn't abandoned but people were avoiding the main road. Made sense. Someone being killed like that would be enough to scare anyone out of doing anything and, painful fact of the matter is, if you called the cops the Reavers would find out or you'd just get no action from them because, hey, it's another dead mutant.

Pete trotted up the stairs to the front door and banged his hand on the door frame. He was being smart about his positioning - Molly was a bit of a wildcard. She'd need to get used to some of the challenges and difficulties that you'd come up against on missions like this but at the same time... maybe a bit young for paramilitary organizations. There's a sound from the other side of the door followed by footsteps. The door opens and it's a young man - couple of years older than Molly. Blonde, blue eyed, skin that's got a golden tan that's starting to maybe turn a little too golden for it to be normal. He's handsome. Noticeably so. Hell, fifty years in the future he'd be a model for Hollister.

"Yeah? Who-" he paused, his voice cracking. "Who are you?"

Forge heads up to the door and finds that it's locked. There's a sliding hatch on the front like it's some medieval castle or speakeasy from the 30's that you'd need the code for. He can knock on the door and might get a reply but he knows enough about one percenter bikers to know that after a night that involved enough drinking to get people to a state where they'd cheer on the poo poo that went down here last night means that there's probably some people in there still working off a hangover. Rogue snaps one of the breaks off the bike easily. No one noticed. Maybe make a bigger show of it or some sound and people will.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Molly

Before Pete can get a word in, Molly leans around him and smiles at the golden boy.

"Hi! I'm Molly, this is Pete. A little birdy told us you might have some troubles and need a friend. May we come in?"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
Rogue disposes of the bike handles. "Well, now they'll have much more trouble chasing us on their bikes at least if somethin' happens. Seems like everyone's all locked up tight in there. What ya want to do now? Kickin' this hornet's nest might be a bad idea if our kid's inside."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete smiles as he sees the boy, thinking maybe this op will be even easier than he expected. As Molly leans around him excitedly, Pete gives his best calming smile and extends a hand. "Pete Wisdom, to be precise. Pleasure to meet you, Josh. Is your pater home by chance?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

Now that he was back to prowling around the small town, every fiber of his body somehow felt like it was shaking its head at him for burning up the trail before he could follow it all the way back. But... it just felt like the right thing to do at the time. He didn't much like them having a trophy like that, and so he did what he normally did when he saw someone with something he didn't want them to have and stole it from them. Trying to get his head back in the game, Remy crept up near one of the fences he could hear people through and ducked into cover, listening for anything useful. Even as he attempted to eavesdrop, his eyes scanned the area around him for anything he could fit into his hand and use as a throwing weapon. He'd brought along his own, of course, but a good thief always has a backup plan.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 19, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"As far as I'm concerned, if we can do this without a ruckus, that's good," says Adam, stepping back away from the door to give it a look-over. Any sort of exposed bolts, screws, seams, something that he could exploit... or maybe it'd be more sensible to try the rear of the building, which might be out of sight. "These guys are a-holes, no doubt, but giving them a mighty beat-down ain't exactly going to change their perspective. It's gonna re-inforce it, if anything."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Foley blinked once as he saw Molly step forwards. He frowned sharply at her and then looked over her shoulder at Wisdom. "Uh, yeah, he is but-" he paused. "Why are you here?" He stepped out of the house and moved to close the door over behind him. "Like- if you're Purifiers or some other MC then just because you've brought a kid along with you doesn't mean Reaver's won't wreck you," he said. Purifiers? He thinks you're part of another motorcycle gang? Well, the jackets, the colors and general ever-so-slightly paramilitary look might actually- yeah, you can see how someone might make that mistake.

Forge was able to see a big deadbolt on the front of the door into the bar.

Gambit continued to sneak around the back alleyways in the little town. He snuck up next to one of the fences and crouched down listening close. There were a few things that he could pick up and use should things come down to it - trashcan lid, fully charged, could do some pretty significant damage. Use it like a frisbee, huck it super hard. He could probably take down a tank or something with a throw like that. As for useful information, he managed to find out that a lot of the people in the town knew about what happened last night but hadn't done anything to stop it. It seemed a lot like the Reavers more or less ran this place.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete chuckles. "Were much worse than that. If the old man's about then let's go for a walk. We want to talk to you about what you discovered about yourself last night." Pete gives Joshua a knowing look as he says this and pleads him to follow.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"I have seen bathroom stalls with better locks," Adam mutters under his breath, slipped a screwdriver out of one of his pockets and setting to work. Making was easy, breaking was harder, but it helped to think of the ideal state of the door as being nonfunctional.

With any luck, this should be quick, quiet, and above all unnoticed by anyone inside. Then he could just open the door and waltz inside like he was supposed to be there. That should, at least, keep things uncomplicated enough for a while. Long enough for him to get an understanding of what was doing on, and possibly to provide an easy route for Jim and Anna Marie to bail him out if things should get dicey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Thunderbird

"You get the door, Forge, but let me be the first to go through it." He adjusts his jacket to make sure the Bowie knife at his back is covered. If anyone inside is keen enough to spot it, it means trouble--but frankly, Jim's not bothered.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"I don't know about that. Seems to me the guys inside are the kind who'll take one good look at you and not bother askin' any questions before they break out the lead pipes and baseball bats." He wags a finger at Jim. "Now I'm sure you could take 'em all, one hand behind your back, I ain't disputin' that. But starting a brawl won't get us any intel here. I may not be in your weight class, junior, but I can handle myself just fine if things get rough. Which I am hopin' they don't."

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
"Probably better if they don't get their hands on me and start a ruckus before we have to. Just call if you need help, sugah. Shouldn' be too hard to get away if you need to now either."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Joshua glanced over his shoulder and over at Pete. He looked the British secret agent over and then looked down at Molly. "So, wait, are you guys part of some kind of team?" he asked. Pete had been forced to at least wear the shirt of his uniform and Molly had zero reservations and dressing as a superhero.

Forge was able to get stuck into the deadbolt. It was tough and an inch thick iron bar that, under normal duress probably wouldn't have shifted. There was something about it though - some sort of inherent weakness that Forge was able to exploit. Just a little nudge to it here a push there and hey presto he'd managed to make the bolt side back and the front plate of the lock fall off and into his waiting hand. It wasn't lockpicking the way that any of the other viewers had seen but it worked. The door started to peel open, the front loaded weight of it making it drift outwards slowly. Door was even hinged to open outwards like on a proper fortress. Someone's gotta take the first step though.

Gambit keeps his prowl on. He hears a gate open near by - someone taking out the trash maybe?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete gets a bit frustrated, and it shows. He quietly growls out, "Bloody hell...Yea, she's part of a team. Me, I'm part of a different team called 'The Save Josh Foley's Arse From His Racist Dad Squad.'" His voice barely above a whisper, he continues, regaining his composure a bit and smiling again, though still speaking very quietly. "I know we might seem a bit dodgy but we're on the same side, here. We know you just found out you're a mutant, kid. We just want to help you not get beaten. Or worse." He gives him another stern look while trying his best to not scream out YOUR DAD'S GOING TO KILL YOU, MORON! Then Pete grabs the boy's arm and points behind them. "You coming, or not?"

Lager fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 22, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"Right, well, you'll know the signal if you hear it. It'll be me cursin' and screamin' up a storm, so pardon my French in advance, miss." Adam makes sure his bomber jacket and old army boots are covering up as much of his uniform as they can, nods once to Jim, and takes a step into the lion's den.

He has no idea what he's doing.

But maybe it's a better way than just beating heads.

Maybe.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Molly

Sion posted:

"So, wait, are you guys part of some kind of team?" he asked.

"Yeah, we're heroes and we're trying to save you. Sheesh!" Molly makes an exasperated noise in her throat, but she also makes a small curtsy. She is trying and failing to maintain a 'serious business' demeanor.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 23, 2014

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Forge steps inside the bar and took a look around. Yeah. Looked about right for a one percenter bar. Place was a fuckin' pit and it stank of beer, a pool table over in the corner with a few bottles on the edges of the table (savages) and the light over the top of the table looking busted. There's a dart board, a bar with bottles, a few couches and chairs and each one of the couches currently has an occupant, asleep with a hangover. The door opens and Forge takes a step inside and they begin to stir. The real problem could be the guy behind the bar that just looks up at Forge. He's wiping it down and trying to do a little bit of cleaning to get things ready for the rest of the day.

"You a cop?" he asked. Looked big. Gruff. Probably had a shotgun under the bar that his hand was slowly moving for. "How the gently caress'd your get in here?"

Pete and Molly get a nod from Josh. "Sure," he said quietly before looking over his shoulder. "I just need to grab something from upstairs," he said. "Like, I packed a bag last night because I was just gonna make a run for it after what happened to Laurie." He glanced over his shoulder again before disappearing from view before anyone could really argue. The sound of footsteps running up stairs. A moments pause. Boots charging back down. Josh pulled the door open all the way and stood there with a green canvas bag over his shoulder and an army jacket. FOLEY - US ARMY. Must have been his dad's. Either that or this kid lied at some point to join up.

"So, where to?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"You always this friendly?" Adam asks, a little nervous but not worrying too much. A gun was only as dangerous as the intent behind it, and he was pretty sure this was going to be a case of scare tactics, not outright murder. But that'd depend on the result of his next gamble. "'Cause Foley was sure less of an rear end in a top hat than you."

He kept his hands out, where they could be seen, but didn't raise them up. Acting like he was guilty now would just make things worse. He had to hope that out of all the guys hanging around here, Foley wasn't one of them. Or at least in no fit state to say anything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

Remy quickly climbs up to the roof, watching the newcomer and listening in on what they were saying.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete grins as he puts an arm around the boy's shoulder as they walk away from the Foley residence. "To our illustrious station wagon. This way." He picks up his walkie-talkie then. "Just a moment, have to let the rest of our band know to quit looking about for you." He holds up the radio and speaks into it, "We've got him, gents. Pack it up and meet at the car." He looks back at Molly, before holding Joshua closely and whispering to him. "Now let's not go talking about what your mates did to Laurie, eh? This is your second chance, Josh. Don't go screwing it up. Your pater was a right monster and I'm sure he would've turned you into the same, but now it's time to get out from under that and become your own man." He gives Josh a serious look, then pats the boy on the back as they head for the car.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Joshua glanced over at his bike. "I-" he said before Pete started to speak to him. He almost started to talk back, answer and say something stupid about his father. Almost. He managed to stop himself and probably save himself from getting just left behind. He kind of wanted to take his bike with him - something tying himself to his old life and keeping him sane and stable in what would, no doubt, turn out to be something of a whole new experience for him. "Sure. I'll do what I can... I think I'm a healer. Or at least I think I'm turning into one. You guys need a healer?"

"You think that Foley is less of an rear end in a top hat than me, then you've never met Foley," snorted the man behind the bar, his head giving a little nod. "What're you after?" he asked. "We're closed right now an' not trading. If you need gas then there's a station at the south end of town." Then something entirely unexpected happens. Pete's voice comes from inside Forge's jacket. The guy behind the bar raises an eyebrow. "The hell was that?"

Gambit scrambled to the roof of the garage he was standing next to. He wasn't as quiet as he could have been but he was out of line of sight for anyone that wasn't expressly looking for him. The person took out the trash silently and then made their way back again. Turns out, most people don't talk to themselves while putting out the garbage. This could be news to Gambit, since his jacket apparently decided to start talking, his radio speaking out with Pete's voice. The person with the trashbag stopped and looked around.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
Rogue hears Pete and wants to swear. "Of all the-. Why right now?" She walks into the door behind Forge pretending to be a little tipsy. "There ya are. I was wonderin' where you went off to." She slings her arm around him to lead him out of the bar. "C'mon, we found our weddin' boy," she exaggeratedly puts a finger into his chest "and YOU need to finish dressin' for the party! 'Sides, looks like these fellows already had all their partyin' done last night."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Thunderbird

"Forge, look! I've found a way in," Jim says in mock surprise as he steps just over the threshold. He's not as big as his brother was, but broad enough to darken the doorway. He scans the room for signs of trouble, trying not to look like he's casing the joint. "Did the whiskey run out, or is the mine still open in this town?" He can't pick up on Forge's angle, but a crazy Injun looking for firewater has a way of stalling anybody.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

Remy slipped down the back of the house, circling around the side and coming up behind the man. If people weren't going to let him eavesdrop, he was gonna have to ask. In a swift motion, he clasped a hand over the man's mouth and whispered in his ear, "I drive a thousand miles looking for Reavers so's I can settle my score wit dem, and when I get here, there's none. Point me to their... clavern, or whatever... and we don't have no trouble."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

He'd almost, just about hit on the best way to defuse the situation when both Anna Marie and Jim came in. He flashed his nicest smile and spoke rapidly out of the corner of his mouth: "Guy's got a shotgun an' I'm thinkin' that whatever the Hell I was gonna find out from these a-holes is all moot at this point. So how's about you two let an old man with no super powers get the everlovin' gently caress outta this room before you let loose, pardon my language."

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
"Sure thing, hon." Rogue gives Forge a little push towards the door to let him go then turns around and speaks into the radio. "You might not have time to wait for us. We'll catch up or meet you back at home."

Kylra fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 24, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete follows his gaze to the bikes but misinterprets his thoughts completely. "Good thought, kid. Make things a bit harder for the old man, eh? Which bike is his?" Pete walks over to the motorcycles and raises a hand as streaks of white-hot energy extend out from his fingertips and he prepares to wreak havoc on the machine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Molly

"No, Mr.Wisdom!" Molly whispers, "I think he wants to take his bike with us."

Molly turns to the boy, "which one is yours? I can carry it quietly until we get far enough away that you can ride it back with us." Molly tries to smile with more confidence than she feels.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete grimaces slightly. "I suppose you can bring your motorbike, sure. Still think it might be a good bet to make sure your dad gets slowed up here. Which one is his?" He flexes his fingers, itching to take out some aggression.

Lager fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 27, 2014

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The barman raises an eyebrow as he sees Anna Marie walk in and drape her arm around Forge. "drat, son," he says quietly before grinning. "You did well. Ugly fucker like you can get a girl like that, there's hope for us all-" he says before things go much further than he'd originally considered. He seemed to become more concerned when Rogue and Thunderbird step in and he finalises going for his shotgun. "You three need to get the hell out of here before something real bad happens."

The guy Gambit's grabbed doesn't put up anything close to a fight. Once the hand is moved away from his face he glances left and sees the dark eyes and nods his head. "You want to go two blocks east. Look for the building with the black door," he said. "If you do go after them, make it stick. Whole town could use being rid of them. They run this entire place an' a lot of us are sick of them."

Josh nodded over to the bike on the left. It was a little smaller than the one on the right but seemed to have more care taken over it. Less dented and beaten up - it looked like his dad's bike was a lot like his father. Big, mean and damaged. "That one's mine," he said moving over to the slightly smaller machine. "You said you'd carry it. What, are you like... freaky strong or something?" he asked. "What do you do, by the way?" he asked looking over at Pete.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete grinned wide at the question and he stepped next to Pa Foley's bike. "Strong doesn't begin to describe her. As for me..." The hot knives extended out from his right hand and he slashed at the bike. He had considered just shredding the tires, but he was feeling vindictive now and decided instead to cut it into five separate, useless pieces of slag. He tries his best not to make a lot of noise, and signals them to get going quickly now before they get a shotgun to their backs. "Healer'll be nice and useful. Rest of this team seems to be a lot better at breaking things than fixing them. Forge excluded, of course."

I can make a roll for this if you'd like, but I figured it was likely just an exposition moment like Rogue breaking off the brakes on the other bikes.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah I'm pretty much okay with not rolling to wreck a thing that can't resist or is incapable of resisting. Inanimate objects (doors, bikes, walls) are fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Molly

Molly's grin brightens like the sun.
"Yeah I'm real strong, watch this!"

Molly jogs over and tenderly gets a solid grip on the motorcycle's frame (so as not to bend or damage any part of it) and with little effort, but some concentration, heaves the bike up onto her right shoulder, with that arm bracing the huge machine on the slight girl.

"Ready when you fellas are" she smirks.

• Locked thread