Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
I have to say, this chapter's overworld is among my favorites of this game. The setting and music are just very atmospheric. It might also just be my imagination, but it seems a lot more open and sprawling than the other overworlds, with the clue bottles being spread out the most.

Spice Room Recon: Nothing too special about this mission, though I do like that they have a secret entrance behind a waterfall. Couldn't leave that video game cliche out, could they? :v: Still, I do like that you have to go through a little more effort to get to the place in order to snap the photos. Also, I think my game might be bugged in some weird way, because when I ride that bucket up, that guard notices me and I fall off, but then when I try again, he doesn't.

However, as for the heart thing, I think it actually still works. If I remember rightly, one chamber pumps blood into the lungs to get oxygen into the blood cells, while the other pumps the newly-oxygenated (that's probably not the right term at all. :v:) into the rest of the body. So, technically, the heart consists of two pumps, and since it's a mechanical heart, splitting it in half might still work.

I might be grasping at straws, there, but then again, this is a video game series that takes many cues from cartoons and comic books, so I think there is some call for suspension of disbelief, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

DetectiveDorian posted:

I have to say, this chapter's overworld is among my favorites of this game. The setting and music are just very atmospheric. It might also just be my imagination, but it seems a lot more open and sprawling than the other overworlds, with the clue bottles being spread out the most.
Really? Huh, I feel like this level doesn't really stand out to me all that much. It's not as bad as, let's say, the next level, but it definitely isn't one of my favorites. Really though, all the criticisms I can come up with in this level can be directly put against the next level as well, so I'll wait with the rant.

DetectiveDorian posted:

However, as for the heart thing, I think it actually still works.
Well, from what I understand, the reason the heart pumps is because there's an in-built electrical system that sends signals from the right atrium to trigger the heartbeat and has pathways through the heart. So I suppose that it could work if the other parts of the heart were artificially made as some sort of stabilizer.

DetectiveDorian posted:

I might be grasping at straws, there, but then again, this is a video game series that takes many cues from cartoons and comic books, so I think there is some call for suspension of disbelief, heh.
The most fun thing I know when I read comics is pointing out the illogical things that they come up with, but yes, you're probably right :v:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The clockwork tail feathers only seemed to look giant in the 'you got them!' bit. When they were part of the printing money, they were tiny.

Something kind of interesting is this game actually has headset support. Not really important, the only things I heard it doing is let you get the attention of guards, and the binocucom dialog gets put through the headset, instead of the speakers.

Carlioo posted:

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, a Sly Cooper movie has been announced for 2016. It uh... Well it looks like it could potentially be funny at least, even if the animation isn't very good compared to the games. From what I can tell, it seems to be a retelling of the first game, kind of like how the Ratchet & Clank movie will be. Apparently it has gotten Sucker Punch's approval, so the story might be good?
At least it seems to partially take place before the first game, so it won't be a complete rehash.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Kgummy posted:

Something kind of interesting is this game actually has headset support. Not really important, the only things I heard it doing is let you get the attention of guards, and the binocucom dialog gets put through the headset, instead of the speakers.

Oh, yeah, I actually forgot about that feature. Yeah, it's interesting, but kinda... Pointless, unless you're doing a live-commentary LP and wanted to make a self-imposed challenge.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 10: Let Sleeping Tigers Lie (Uncut Version)

Kgummy posted:

Headset support
Oh wow, I had completely forgot about that. I even remember reading about it. It can be useful for tricking enemies with sound, but other then that, pretty much pointless. Although I do like how the Binocucom noise comes through the headset instead, that's a bit cute.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

There was a song in an episode of that very short-lived cartoon called Class of 3000 where they sung about the gorilla in the episode and called him the "King of the Jungle". Other than the ones you mentioned and that, my knowledge of songs about jungles is very limited. :v:

Lead Rajan: I didn't get the actual name of this mission, since you didn't look at it through the Binoc-u-com, and I haven't played my copy of this game in roughly a year and a half, but I do remember this one. I have failed this mission several times because I mis-aimed and accidentally shot a dart close enough to my position that Rajan noticed me before I could get away fast enough. As well as the random assortments of enemies around, it can be random chance whether you accidentally alert one of them, and if that happens, I think Rajan is alerted to your presence that way, too. So, eh, not particularly fond of it, but like Elephant Rampage of the last chapter, this one is unique to its chapter and isn't used anymore for the rest of the game, that I can recall offhand, so it at least doesn't outstay its welcome. :v:

Elephant Array: Agh, tedium. Remember earlier when I said I liked the overworld of this chapter? That was before I remembered that the sprawling area is actually kind of to its detriment, especially with this mission. In fact, I forgot about this mission. A fetch quest to grab six spice plants in an overworld that's actually pretty difficult to get around. Not much else I can say about this one, to be honest.

That loving Bug: i hate that goddamn bug so much Honestly, out of everything in Sly 2, I think this mission stands out to me the most, aside from THE MURRAY in general. Because this mission is bullshit. I freely admit, it might just be because I'm poo poo at games, but this mission always gives me so much loving trouble. The pools of water are too far away, the bug has a shitfit way too early, and it's really unclear as to the route you're actually supposed to go. Though I admit, it might just be because I never knew that speedrunning tactic.

However, once you get the water bug... Er, bug into the office, one of the transmissions you can get from Rajan when idling in the safehouse, and I'm mostly paraphrasing here, is pretty funny: "What's this? A bug? I know exactly what your purpose is. ...You're going to keep all the mosquitoes out of my office!" I dunno, I always liked that quote, and I like to think that in reality, the trio would have all had a collective heart attack and immediately relaxed as soon as Rajan finished talking. The image of them freaking out for half a second amuses me. :keke:

Comrade Black
Dec 5, 2012

DetectiveDorian posted:

Elephant Array: Agh, tedium. Remember earlier when I said I liked the overworld of this chapter? That was before I remembered that the sprawling area is actually kind of to its detriment, especially with this mission. In fact, I forgot about this mission. A fetch quest to grab six spice plants in an overworld that's actually pretty difficult to get around. Not much else I can say about this one, to be honest.

I think this mission is more bullshit compared to the bug one because it's the most tedious mission out of the bunch. A lot of the missions in this section of the game are tedious, but not like this one. This one took me so long because it's hard to get around and when you think you're getting high up on a tree that has the spice plant on it, you aren't. I think too that this just came off to me as a pointless fetch quest and I personally just really don't like fetch quests like this all that much.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Comrade Black posted:

I think this mission is more bullshit compared to the bug one because it's the most tedious mission out of the bunch. A lot of the missions in this section of the game are tedious, but not like this one. This one took me so long because it's hard to get around and when you think you're getting high up on a tree that has the spice plant on it, you aren't. I think too that this just came off to me as a pointless fetch quest and I personally just really don't like fetch quests like this all that much.

You bring up a good point, and yes, I agree; now that I remember it, the fetch quest is very bullshit. However, for me personally, the bug mission is memorably bullshit, which I think kinda makes it worse, but that is likely more my own perceptions, since my first time ever playing Sly 2, I got hung up on that part (among others) so much, that its dumbass screeching kinda bore a hole into my brainspace after a while.
:negative:

However, as said before, at least you only have to do these tedious/bullshit missions once in any given playthrough.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I heard "A Viper in the grass" so much. I don't remember having much trouble with enemies, though.

I thought the 'elephant powered satellites' was more of a 'it's kind of hard to get power to the middle of the jungle, which is protecting illegal operations' kind of thing. To stay off the grid, so to speak.

The animation Sly has to pick up the spice plants is kind of hilarious. He just shoves it in his face.

Also that bug mission. Really annoying.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Really, the biggest problem with the elephant mission is the location: had a similar mission been in, let's say, Paris, I wouldn't have been as annoyed with it. But because the heights of the area aren't connected that well it becomes annoying. Had they had like a wine that went through the area it would have made the spice collecting much more smooth. Although I guess that would have broken the bug mission.

Speaking of the bug mission, I can't recall ever having problems with the it. I think that the first time I played it, I tried to look ahead to see if there were any pools nearby before I started running with the bug, not to mention that the speedrunning trick (if you even wanna call it that) just sort of stood out to me when I saw it and I actually thought that that was the right route to take, before I realized that the devs had intended for you to walk around. I don't think I've ever taken the long path.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
My first time running the bug mission, back in the mists of time, I recall having some trouble because I figured that if the bug started making too much noise, it'd be game over.

When I replayed that mission a few weeks ago, I just said "screw it" and dashed right for the destination. Somehow I managed to get the noisy bug there my first attempt. I was amazed at how much easier that method was than carefully dashing from pool to pool.

Comrade Black
Dec 5, 2012

DetectiveDorian posted:

You bring up a good point, and yes, I agree; now that I remember it, the fetch quest is very bullshit. However, for me personally, the bug mission is memorably bullshit, which I think kinda makes it worse, but that is likely more my own perceptions, since my first time ever playing Sly 2, I got hung up on that part (among others) so much, that its dumbass screeching kinda bore a hole into my brainspace after a while.
:negative:

However, as said before, at least you only have to do these tedious/bullshit missions once in any given playthrough.

That makes sense. When I was younger, I had issues with the bug mission but I still liked it because it had just that perfect bit of suspense of "Am I going to get to the pool in time?" Or "If not, can I get to it quickly enough so I don't get it smashed by a guard?"

Carlioo posted:

Really, the biggest problem with the elephant mission is the location: had a similar mission been in, let's say, Paris, I wouldn't have been as annoyed with it. But because the heights of the area aren't connected that well it becomes annoying. Had they had like a wine that went through the area it would have made the spice collecting much more smooth. Although I guess that would have broken the bug mission.

You're right now that I think about it - Paris is awesome and all of the missions in the Paris hub are fun. If this happened, in say, two areas from now, I would have just quit because gently caress that area. It has its moments, but it's the most frustrating in the game to me.

Kgummy posted:

The animation Sly has to pick up the spice plants is kind of hilarious. He just shoves it in his face.

I forgot about that. I just busted out laughing remembering it. :downs:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 11: Flushing Out the Tiger (Uncut Version)

Now that I think about it, wouldn't destroying the dam screw up the local wildlife a bit? Looks like we finally found a reason to blame the Cooper Gang for doing something bad :toot:

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Blow the Dam: Eh, this one's okay. Another turret section. Really nothing notable to say, other than it takes a long time because the dam has too much health, and a lot of the time, I end up firing at the helicopters and the missiles than the dam, so that just makes it take even longer. Also, I think this game is incorrect in the cats-hate-water stereotype. In fact, I'm pretty sure tigers actually really like to swim. I might be wrong in that, though.

However, I found the information about Dmitri's dropped second chapter to be fascinating. I would have liked a second Dmitri chapter, but eh, what can you do. Still, what we get in the third game of Dmitri more than makes up for it, in my opinion.

Spice Grinding Facility: Hello, mechanic from the first game! It's been a while. I personally like this little section. Jumping into barrels and walking around in them is very much a cartoon thing, and it's pretty cool. However, I don't think that secret actually goes towards 100% completion. I've gotten 100% on Sly 2 before, and a couple times, I didn't even know that secret door existed. The percentage thing pops up, sure, but I dunno, it might just be like, an extra .3-.5%, who knows.

Neyla's Secret: Whoo, another "Follow Neyla" section, leading into getting a half of the Clockwerk Heart. So, hey, success! Also, I think Sucker Punch missed a great opportunity to make a Dune reference, because Bentley says, "The Spice won't be growing here anytime soon", instead of "flowing". Also, yeah, it's really annoying when you fall down that huge pit and have to go back up.

The Ruby: This one's not too bad a mission. It can be hard, at first, to figure out where the gently caress you're supposed to go, but overall, this is a nice Murray mission.

"Operation: Wet Tiger"? Ha. Clever, Sucker Punch. Clever.

DetectiveDorian fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 20, 2014

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The headset support was on the back of the box, not that it tells you what it is.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 12: Rage of Rajan (Uncut Version)

There won't be any episodes next week due to me not being home. Also because the big project of Swedish schools is coming to a close, I may not be able to update as frequently due to me needing to record other things, edit stuff, etc. Think of this being Bentley's time to muster up all his strength or something.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 6, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Carlioo posted:

There won't be any episodes next week due to me not being home, on grounds of representing Sweden in the Winter Olympics.

FTFY. Good luck on that gold medal. Get me some Canadians' phone numbers, k? Or just tell them to add me on Facebook.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Even if Rajan didn't call in other henchmen it still would have been a hard fight, his sweep followed by the overhead smash is hard to avoid as Murry. It took me at least 5 tries to beat him when Sly 2 first came out, and he's still a challenging fight now.
Oh well, at least the next four levels are some of the best, in my opinion (theme wise at least) :allears:

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Alrighty. I think Neyla is probably in the running for the Biggest Bitch in Video Games, for me. Honestly, I never saw this betrayal coming when I had first played the game, and it came as a genuine shock. It's like Sucker Punch pulled out all the stops to make Neyla as unlikable as possible. Still, the top Bitch in my opinion is still the Sorceress from Spyro 3. God, I hate her. But, I digress.

Fun fact: The picture that Neyla shows the Contessa is from the title card of the previous chapter. Just something I personally found interesting.

Still, this boss fight can be really difficult, and a little tedious, since Rajan has so much Goddamn health. And THE MURRAY really steals the show, here.

Also, as someone who learned to drive an automatic, manual transmission is loving annoying. It's not really a matter of having to do something else when I'm driving, it's mostly that I'm not very coordinated and I sometimes have to look at what I'm reaching for, even if I know it's there, and when I'm driving I'm always terrified of taking my eyes off the road for even a second.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Alright, it's dark, our pals are captured and we have to beat a giant spider. Let's break out the gang in...

Part 13: Hack-breaking (Uncut version)

Bottle Hunt Part 4: Breaking Out the Bottle Hunt (Prison Bottle Hunt)

New information

Name: The Contessa
A Black Widow Spider and a high ranking officer of Interpol. Both Neyla and Carmelita works under her. When she still was a criminal psychology student, she apparently fell in love with and married a wealthy aristocrat... who shortly after the wedding died mysteriously, giving the Contessa loads of money and a home in Prague. With all her wealth, she opened up a rehab for criminals, where she used hypno-therapy to turn criminals into hard-working members of the society and subsequently, earning her the high place within Interpol.

Oh, and she's also a member of the Klaww Gang, using the spice from Rajan to enhance her hypnosis and tell the criminals where they hid their gold, so that she can snatch it up for herself. Also, she's not from Transylvania, rather, she's from the Czech Republic, but game treats her like she's from some Castlevania game so whatever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this is some proper somber music.

I guess the Contessa using a Clockwerk part in her therapy would have been a bit too obvious.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Today's later-than-usual episode is brought to you by editing programs not rendering properly! :toot:

Part 14: Working Hard For Hippos (Uncut Version)

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 18, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So why the Contessa as a name? It's really annoying hearing the before her name.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wow, I had no idea Toonami was back. I do have fond memories of it.

Edit: autocorrect! :argh:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 14, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zain posted:

So why the Contessa as a name? It's really annoying hearing the before her name.

Contessa's her title, not her name. It basically means countess.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 15: Jailhouse Rage (Uncut Version)

Gonna have to apologize with the recent updating schedule, but school has been getting in the way. Will probably continue into next week as well, what with turning in the big project of the year, which means I have to work a lot with recording and editing videos. When we do come back I might consider changing the uploading schedule to Tuesdays and Fridays, as that would work better with my school schedule.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 18, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Carlioo posted:

Part 15: Jailhouse Rage (Uncut Version)

Gonna have to apologize with the recent updating schedule, but school has been getting in the way. Will probably continue into next week as well, what with turning in the big project of the year, which means I have to work a lot with recording and editing videos. When we do come back I might consider changing the uploading schedule to Tuesdays and Fridays, as that would work better with my school schedule.

Calling it now, the school's going to receive a video of me rambling about Fallout or something.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Contessa's her title, not her name. It basically means countess.

OH! That makes more sense. It's just sometimes they just call her contessa too which is the confusion I had.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh sure. I don't know if Count is a rank of nobility people still keep track of in this day and age, but it's the Spookiest Rank so of course that's what she is.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Welp. Today I realised that the burning smell that I smelled in my room came from my computer fan. Thinking it has something to do with the laptop charger, but I'm not turning it on until I get som help with it. Hopefully I don't need to buy a new laptop, which would suck balls.

Long story short, LP is postponed until I can edit things again. Thankfully everything is on my external hard drive, so even in the unlikely event that I have to get a new laptop, nothing is lost.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Here's hoping you can get things up and running again! This is a fun LP for a fun little game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, LP curse strikes again.

"Make the dude charge into a dangerous thing" actually makes a little bit of sense here, since Murray is just acting blindly, unlike pretty much any boss you've ever had to do that on.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Right after technical issues made me have to abandon the Diablo 3 LP, I figured I'd look for one of one of my favorite PS2 games to cheer me up. LP curse is in full force :(

Still, definitely watching when you get back to it. Chapters 5 and 7 are probably personal favorites.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

My laptop is back, seems to be fixed and I didn't have to pay a single coin! :toot:

...sadly my charging cable doesn't seem to want to charge my laptop anymore, which means I still can't edit anything. It should be coming on either Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully the LP will start again next week. Speaking of, I will probably change update days to Tuesdays and Fridays, those days work better with my schedule. Anyway, next week, LP's hopefully back on track and school almost finished, we'll see what happens then!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:siren:HEY GUESS WHAT GUYS NEW UPDATE:siren:

Part 16: Mind of War (Uncut Version)

Bottle Hunt 5: Spooky Scary Bottle Hunt (Caste Bottle Hunt)

So what happened? Well, as it turned out, all MSi had done with my computer was changing the cooling paste and cleaning it of dust, which doesn't really fix the charging problem. So when I did get my new charger cable, the computer didn't charge and therefore I had to send my laptop in again. Wooo! :toot: Anyway, my school is pretty much all done, although Serperoth still has classes. Updating schedule should return to normal though!

EDIT: Should probably add that this part and the next part were recorded before my laptop broke down. Which was about 2 months ago.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 18, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Glad to see you guys back though!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 17: Ghost-hunters (Uncut version)

In which we hunt some ghosts, meet some ghosts of Sucker Punch and carry around an old grandpa bat, as well as using real, magical science.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 18, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe the "scoundrel" comment's meant to be in light of the fact that Clawfoot's working for a criminal that was posing as a cop until her scheme was basically exposed last chapter.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 18: Tanks To Meet You (Uncut Version)

I am starting to realize that explaining things off the top of my head is not my strongest suit, so let me try to explain here instead why the tank controls aren't that good. Basically you control the left tread with the left stick and the right track with the right stick and while that's fairly realistic, it also is hard to understand the first time you play the mission. It doesn't help at all that you're fighting in a pretty small area with many corridors and only one big open area, so you'll probably hit a lot of walls. Finally, while you can't turn the gun, the enemy tanks can and they are surprisingly good shots, not to mention that the blast radius is annoyingly big. I've died multiple times on that mission before and it's a miracle that I only died once this time around.

tldr: The tank mission sucks. Thank god there's only two tank mission in the game

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Carlioo posted:

Part 18: Tanks To Meet You (Uncut Version)

I am starting to realize that explaining things off the top of my head is not my strongest suit, so let me try to explain here instead why the tank controls aren't that good. Basically you control the left tread with the left stick and the right track with the right stick and while that's fairly realistic, it also is hard to understand the first time you play the mission. It doesn't help at all that you're fighting in a pretty small area with many corridors and only one big open area, so you'll probably hit a lot of walls. Finally, while you can't turn the gun, the enemy tanks can and they are surprisingly good shots, not to mention that the blast radius is annoyingly big. I've died multiple times on that mission before and it's a miracle that I only died once this time around.

tldr: The tank mission sucks. Thank god there's only two tank mission in the game

At least you don't have to chase down a character in the lovely controlled tank, that would be terrible :suicide: .

• Locked thread