Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrClownsHappyHand
Jan 28, 2013
Is anyone else using the older Logitech remotes? I've been a very happy user of the Harmony One, but I had to replace it recently and was shocked to see that Logitech doesn't make it any more. After looking around all the new Logitech remote offers are super terrible. Whats everyone else using for remotes these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sorry but the harmony smart control is the best poo poo they have ever made.

DrClownsHappyHand
Jan 28, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding how it works-the actual remote part doesn't appear to do IR so do you just stick the base station on a shelf somewhere where it can communicate with your AV equipment?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm using an older Harmony which is basically the 650 they still make now but cost me 3 times as much.

I was looking to upgrade it but I'm waiting for them to get PS4 control in there because apparently the PS3 control on the new hub sucks, and until PS4 support is added my PS3 is still my Bluray player.

DrClownsHappyHand posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding how it works-the actual remote part doesn't appear to do IR so do you just stick the base station on a shelf somewhere where it can communicate with your AV equipment?

The Harmony Touch and 650 do IR.

The little box does IR and Bluetooth. So if you're using Smart Control which is done over WiFi, it does the IR and Bluetooth for you. If you're using a Touch or 650, it handles your Bluetooth (and presumably does IR blasting but I don't know.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 13, 2014

DrClownsHappyHand
Jan 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I'm using an older Harmony which is basically the 650 they still make now but cost me 3 times as much.

I was looking to upgrade it but I'm waiting for them to get PS4 control in there because apparently the PS3 control on the new hub sucks, and until PS4 support is added my PS3 is still my Bluray player.

The Harmony Touch and 650 do IR.

The little box does IR and Bluetooth. So if you're using Smart Control which is done over WiFi, it does the IR and Bluetooth for you. If you're using a Touch or 650, it handles your Bluetooth (and presumably does IR blasting but I don't know.)

Logitech really needs to clean up their message. After spending a bunch of time on their website before deciding to buy a used one from eBay and I still don't know what their various remote options do. I'm down with the idea of being able to control my devices with a smartphone/tablet, but they need to break it down somewhere how I'd integrate their devices into my home theater setup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Touch and 650 are traditional Harmony remotes as you're used to from the past. The Touch has a touchscreen, a charging dock and 15 device capacity. The 650 is all buttons with an LCD display, and controls 5 devices.

The Ultimate Hub lets you 1) use your phone as a remote over wifi for both IR and Bluetooth devices, and 2) lets your Harmony Ultimate/Touch remote control Bluetooth devices and acts as an IR blaster. Edit: It doesn't work with the 650.

The other 2 products are just bundles.

Harmony Smart Control is the hub plus a remote for when you don't have your phone and/or don't want to use it. Harmony Ultimate is the Touch and Hub together.

Edit 2: Apparently the Ultimate is not the same as the Touch. Jesus, you were right. This is needlessly complicated.

According to CNET the only differences between the Ultimate remote and Touch are vibration feedback on the touchscreen and tilt sensors to wake it when you pick it up on the Ultimate. Otherwise it's just a Touch + Hub bundle.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 13, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DrClownsHappyHand posted:

The Smartcontrol box has an IR blaster and communicates with your phone or the remote via RF. So you send an RF command to the smartcontrol box and it sends IR out that bounces around and hits your devices.

I have mine in a frosted glass cabinet and it has no problems getting all my equipment.

It also has bluetooth to control a ps3 or a wii

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I actually downgraded from a One to a 650 or something like that. I loving hate touch screens for remotes. Controlling the xbox one kind of sucks since I have the cable box hooked up to it so I can't controller both the xbox and the cable box at the same time. I reread what I typed and yes I know I sound like a bitch

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Very happy with the 650 after having an 880 for several years. It works just as well, runs on a pair of AA for a month or so instead of needing to be docked to charge every couple of days, and was far cheaper.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I bought a Smart Control harmony but the loving base unit keeps crashing. So I have to unplug and reboot the hub before I can use the remote to turn on my TV. Super annoying.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twiin posted:

I bought a Smart Control harmony but the loving base unit keeps crashing. So I have to unplug and reboot the hub before I can use the remote to turn on my TV. Super annoying.

Exchange/return it. Mine never has to be restarted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah, mine is super stable too.

The Smart Control is the best thing ever. You get a nice simplified remote for normal day to day stuff and you can customize pretty much any button on it with single and long press functions. Then, if you really need it, you can pull out a tablet or smartphone to get into the nitty gritty.

The simple remote lasts for a year on a single ubiquitous and cheap CR2032 and uses RF to communicate with the base station so you don't need to worry about pointing it at the TV when doing activities and macros. You can also setup the whole thing easily from a tablet or phone. I got a new TV last night and I remapped all my activities in about 3 minutes flat from my couch.

About the ONLY con I can see is the limitation of 8 devices only. There's really no need for that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

I'm on my third Harmony Smart Control hub, these things seem to have a similar build problem to the Harmony Link. Logitech support is great and the exchanges have been no big deal but its still loving annoying. Doing more research online leads to a lot of people with the same issue. So that's one thing I don't like about the Smart Control, it has no IR fallback. The remote itself is good but really could use backlighting (I know, battery life etc but its nice to have) and another few activity buttons if they ever update the line instead of selling the entire division which is rumored. I do love RF though and its funny to catch myself pointing the remote at the TV needlessly.

The new ultimate touch is a horrible abomination. Putting a touch screen dead center was a really stupid idea and I can just see my parents accidentally triggering things while reaching for the more often used play controls. They are priced to the point of silliness too.

Oh another funny thing, Logitech support keeps sending me brand new remotes along with the replaced hubs so I have 3 different smart control remotes but only one working hub. Oh well at least I have spares if the button maps wear out :)

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 17, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Don Lapre posted:

If I could find my receipt I'd be all over that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twiin posted:

If I could find my receipt I'd be all over that.

Where did you buy it? if you used a credit card most retail stores should be able to reprint your receipt using your card.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I just bought an 650 and love it.

e: 650, not 850.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Is there any advantage to buying a Harmony over say, the Sony universal remote or this cheapo thing.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-A6-Pre-Programmed-Universal-Components/dp/B003UVVGHW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I mean beyond them supporting everything out of the box. I'm not that fussed about spending an hour programming a cheaper remote if it saves a bit of money.

Edit : I only have a surround receiver, a TV and a WDTV box. Swapping between 3 remotes is a little annoying but not $75 worth of annoying.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 18, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

frozenpeas posted:

Is there any advantage to buying a Harmony over say, the Sony universal remote or this cheapo thing.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-A6-Pre-Programmed-Universal-Components/dp/B003UVVGHW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I mean beyond them supporting everything out of the box. I'm not that fussed about spending an hour programming a cheaper remote if it saves a bit of money.

Edit : I only have a surround receiver, a TV and a WDTV box. Swapping between 3 remotes is a little annoying but not $75 worth of annoying.

I can't speak for others, but only my own experience with a Harmony 700. Even so...

If your remote has special buttons that you use a lot and aren't on that universal remote (e.g. my Panasonic VT60 has a "format" button to go straight to the video format menu to switch between 4:3 and 16:9), you can still have access to them through the on-screen actions. The activity functionality is also really handy if you're regularly switching between different devices (e.g. "Watch a Movie" will automatically turn on my TV and Blu-ray player and switch HDMI inputs if necessary), although this could be mildly annoying if you'd like the original device to stay on (the behavior when changing between activities is to turn any devices you wouldn't be using off).

But if you don't mind doing multiple button presses to start watching TV (i.e. one to turn on the TV, one to turn on the WDTV, one to turn on the receiver, and one to switch inputs on the receiver) and don't mind the missing buttons on your universal remote, there's really no advantage to a Harmony above other universal programmable remotes aside from the (generally higher) number of devices that can be supported at once. It's not something that is absolutely necessary, but once you've tried one, it's a bit hard to justify going back.

Oh and I guess if you go the Harmony Smart route, you could use your smartphone as a remote without having to switch between apps, if that's your thing.

That said, I'm not sure anything in the Harmony One/Harmony Touch price range is very justifiable unless you've got a complicated setup, and (as others point out above) I haven't heard as many good things about the newer lines either (650 downgrading the 700's 6 devices supported to 5, although it comes with a price cut; the Touch having worse ergonomics than the One) so there's that too.

EDIT: Oh, and I did stumble across a minor issue that I have to fix: for some reason the directional buttons of the pre-programmed VT60 command-set are encoded with two directional clicks instead of one, making the directional arrow buttons useless to navigate menus at the moment until I correct it manually. I suppose that might exist as a problem for other command sets too!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With Harmony remotes, you can bind every single button on it (except for power and a couple of remote functionality buttons) to whatever you want on any device programmed into it. It's either 5 or 15 depending on which current model you get. Both current models also have LCD screens that let you throw in additional commands that the remote itself doesn't have room for. And that's by activity, so once you switch from Watching TV to Playing a Game every one of those buttons can be changed to something else.

The more expensive models have additional stuff. The Ultimate's big draw is that it uses RF by default, so once you position the hub and IR blasters you don't need line of sight.

quote:

(the behavior when changing between activities is to turn any devices you wouldn't be using off).

You can disable this by device.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I just ordered a Chromecast and an HDMI switch with an IR remote. I went to setup my 650 and hope I could come up with a device to remove.

Turns out, I didn't have to remove anything! As of March 4th, the 650 now has support for 8 devices. Just load up My Harmony and it lets you add 3 more devices.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MyHarmony-com/Harmony-Release-Notes-UPDATED-March-11th/td-p/1039103

* Harmony 650 will now support up to 8 devices for both new and returning users.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Frozen-Solid posted:

I just ordered a Chromecast and an HDMI switch with an IR remote. I went to setup my 650 and hope I could come up with a device to remove.

Turns out, I didn't have to remove anything! As of March 4th, the 650 now has support for 8 devices. Just load up My Harmony and it lets you add 3 more devices.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MyHarmony-com/Harmony-Release-Notes-UPDATED-March-11th/td-p/1039103

* Harmony 650 will now support up to 8 devices for both new and returning users.
That is amazing news.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Now if they'd only let us rearrange the device list or the activities list. :argh:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So what's the modern equivalent of a One? I've had one for years and love it and would hate to have to switch to something weird and different if/when this one bites the dust.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

So what's the modern equivalent of a One? I've had one for years and love it and would hate to have to switch to something weird and different if/when this one bites the dust.

The Harmony Ultimate One

Remote by itself:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm...rds=harmony+one

Remote with iPhone/Android support:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm...rds=harmony+one

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Yikes. No thanks.

I guess I'll just baby this thing (and then steal the one I got for my dad for Christmas 2 years ago that he literally never uses).

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Yikes. No thanks.

I guess I'll just baby this thing (and then steal the one I got for my dad for Christmas 2 years ago that he literally never uses).

You can also just get the Harmony Hub, which is a simplistic remote, but emphasizes the use of your smart phone or tablet for the touch screen features instead. Sadly, this model only supports 8 devices compared to the 15 of the One and Ultimate One.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm...rds=harmony+hub

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've tried the Android app. It's missing buttons on the screen and doesn't seem to let you just pull up a full list like the remotes do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

I've tried the Android app. It's missing buttons on the screen and doesn't seem to let you just pull up a full list like the remotes do.

But you can configure the activity buttons however you want on the app?

To me, the hub with the simple remote is the best thing ever. 99% of my functions are done with the simple remote and if I need to adjust a device individually I can pull out the app.

Since nearly every button on the simple remote has a short press and a long press function, you can bind a whole lot of stuff to it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Anyone else have the Harmony 1100 and absolutely hate it? The touch screen is atrocious on it. I got it a couple years back from Fry's when they screwed up the price at Christmas and sold it for $50 bucks.

It makes me miss my trust Logitech x360 remote which still works to this day, just not very well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hate all of the new Harmony stuff they've done since the One. The only exception is the Smart Control remote. Why they keep moving commonly used play controls away from where your hand rests naturally on the remote is beyond me.

quote:

To me, the hub with the simple remote is the best thing ever. 99% of my functions are done with the simple remote and if I need to adjust a device individually I can pull out the app.

Agreed. I wish they would let you program in delays in power on/off order though, I can't seem to do it in the Smart phone app or the weird Silverlight site.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

Agreed. I wish they would let you program in delays in power on/off order though, I can't seem to do it in the Smart phone app or the weird Silverlight site.

I know you can at least do the power on/off order from the app because I recently changed it for my TV watching activity to prevent my cable box from getting goofy with resolution changes. I just don't remember where I did it right now off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure the delays are buried in there as well. About the only thing I've needed to go to the site for is to program a new macro.

UI could be better in some of this stuff though as a lot of functions are buried/not in obvious places.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

But you can configure the activity buttons however you want on the app?

I have more functions I need access to than it gives.

It could be a documentation issue. Maybe they're there and it just doesn't make it clear enough how to get to them. I tried every menu button I could see.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I know you can at least do the power on/off order from the app because I recently changed it for my TV watching activity to prevent my cable box from getting goofy with resolution changes. I just don't remember where I did it right now off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure the delays are buried in there as well. About the only thing I've needed to go to the site for is to program a new macro.

Really? Man if you remember where sometime that would be great. I need a 2-3 second delay between my receiver powering on/off and my HTPC, otherwise the latter goes berserk.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

The Gunslinger posted:

Really? Man if you remember where sometime that would be great. I need a 2-3 second delay between my receiver powering on/off and my HTPC, otherwise the latter goes berserk.
On myharmony.com there's an option to customize an activity. One of the customizations for activities is to insert a "delay" between commands of a specified length.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have an old Harmony 890. It's the RF model. They haven't made it for a while and I absolutely love it. The problem is that it's five years old, and it's starting to go bad. I got a new battery for it, but some of the buttons don't work. I've moved around the functions so the broken buttons are not a problem, but eventually it's going to go. All my home theater gear is in a rack in my basement, so I need the RF setup. If the remote breaks I'm screwed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Which USB cable does the Harmony 700 use? I cannot charge mine worth a gently caress via USB (I think it can only charge via the wall but my Apple connector wont do anything). Are you really only allowed to use the one that came with it?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Frozen-Solid posted:

drat, that makes it better than the 700 now. Best as I can tell that's 6 device limit.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I got a Smart Control for xmas and finally set it up a couple weeks ago. I love it, and it's simple to use. My wife was getting really annoyed about the four different remotes sitting on the coffee table. My only gripe is it seems a little tricky to access menus on my Blu-Ray player while a movie is playing, but maybe I'm hitting the wrong buttons or I need to check the settings.

This thing is night and day compared to the only other Harmony remote I owned back in like 2006. That was glitchy as hell and went through batteries like water.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just love how easy it is to edit activities from the app. I got a new TV a little over a month ago and I think it only took me like 2 minutes to remap all my activities to the new TV. No more fumbling with connections to a computer and syncing things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

n0n0 posted:

On myharmony.com there's an option to customize an activity. One of the customizations for activities is to insert a "delay" between commands of a specified length.

I will check this when I get home but last time I looked that was only for stuff you added yourself and couldn't be used for "default" commands like power on that were part of the activity. I just need Power on Receiver -> Wait 2 seconds -> power up everything else.

• Locked thread