Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Ive got the Ultimate and love the poo poo out of it apart from the stupid transport buttons. Why they are at the top I will never know.
Easy to programme, easy to set up and you can fiddle with loads of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think you can do all the transport functions using the touch pad too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Just to follow up on my earlier posts, I got home and tried adding delays to activities for power on/off through myharmony.com, it does not work. The software has a hard coded boot up sequence where it just fires everything at once, any delays added are only applicable to user added commands. So it will let you add a delay but you can't insert it into any part of the default activity boot order. After more googling around the only way to get this is to call in and have support do it which is really stupid. I will try the mobile app in a few minutes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Under customize activity in the app, there's a button that says "Add a delay." However, I an having difficulty in reordering.

However I think what you seek is under devices. You want "Power on Delay."

Second edit: Hmm, I think I see what your issue is. I don't have a solution yet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 21, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I found what you need. What you want is NOT a delay, it's a power on duration.

Settings -> Edit devices and activities -> Devices -> Choose the device you want the delay after.

Click on Power Settings
Click Next to get to the final page. There you will see the power on sequence and if you touch the power on step, you can set a power on "Duration."

The next command in the power on sequence in the activity will not fire off until the power on duration of that device is complete.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Awesome thanks, I'll give that a whirl right now!

That did it thanks dude.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 21, 2014

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
I have a 650 and 700 and have always used the installable version of the Harmony software. Does anyone know what I would lose by going to the online version? I would love to get the device limit raised on my 650 and would use the online site if it was comparable.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know or can speculate as to whether the Smart Control will be able to control the amazon firetv thing?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Amazon's page for the box says the remote does not need line of sight, so I am guessing it is RF-based and not going to work with an IR based system like Harmony.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's hard to know for sure.

For example, Roku uses an RF remote, but they still include an IR receiver on the box for use with universal remotes. We don't know if Amazon may have done something similar. The Smart Control also has bluetooth capability (it's how it controls the PS3) so it's possible a future firmware update could allow it to control the Fire TV if it's possible to pair it with external input devices.

Does the Fire TV have an onscreen keyboard or do you have to use voice input for search?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Amazon's page for the box says the remote does not need line of sight, so I am guessing it is RF-based and not going to work with an IR based system like Harmony.

It's bluetooth according to Engadget or somewhere.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Logitech is the worst for getting this sort of info, it's just wait and see unfortunately. I am really interested in this but I'm just going to wait 6 months and see what happens with it. I'm still waiting on my loving PS4 support too.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 3, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Logitech is the worst for getting this sort of info, it's just wait and see unfortunately. I am really interested in this but I'm just going to wait 6 months and see what happens with it. I'm still waiting on my loving PS4 support too.

Until Sony makes a remote, there are no codes for them to grab.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

iFixit tore down the Fire TV and there's nothing that looks like an IR receiver in there. So, it would be bluetooth or nothing to get it to work with a Harmony.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Amazon+Fire+TV+Teardown/23856

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

iFixit tore down the Fire TV and there's nothing that looks like an IR receiver in there. So, it would be bluetooth or nothing to get it to work with a Harmony.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Amazon+Fire+TV+Teardown/23856

A USB ir receiver could be possible

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Couple years ago I picked up two Harmony 650s on Black Friday, one for me and one for my parents. Mine has been working like a charm, however my parents' has often done the "click to turn this thing off . . . is it off now?" routine. I recently updated it with the USB cable, switched from installed app to online, and it still has the same problems. Is there any other way to fix this, or should I be looking at a replacement?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Isn't that just the "Remote Assistant" feature? I know you can turn it off on other models.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Couple years ago I picked up two Harmony 650s on Black Friday, one for me and one for my parents. Mine has been working like a charm, however my parents' has often done the "click to turn this thing off . . . is it off now?" routine. I recently updated it with the USB cable, switched from installed app to online, and it still has the same problems. Is there any other way to fix this, or should I be looking at a replacement?

Can you load your config onto theirs and their config onto yours and see if the behavior follows the config, remote or user? "My parents" and technology rarely functions as expected.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Isn't that just the "Remote Assistant" feature? I know you can turn it off on other models.

It might just be that, I'll check.

evobatman posted:

Can you load your config onto theirs and their config onto yours and see if the behavior follows the config, remote or user? "My parents" and technology rarely functions as expected.

I'll try that too, thanks!

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
I've got a question, can the 650 control a raspberry pi running xmbc through cec? I know our tv remote was doing it at one point when we had the xbmc hooked straight to the tv (before the 650 and our reciever)

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Should work as long as the PI takes CEC. CEC works on my PS4 if I change the device to TV. You would be able to set it up to use the TV remote when you set up your device and it "should" work.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sonos and Fire TV support added today.

http://blog.logitech.com/2014/06/09/logitech-harmony-delivers-the-perfect-gift-for-dad-just-in-time-for-fathers-day/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Has there been any word on ps4 support?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kri kri posted:

Has there been any word on ps4 support?

When Sony makes a remote, they'll add the codes.

(And/or Sony directly gives the codes to Logitech.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why does my Harmony hub make my wifi disconnect every time I unplug it and plug it back in? Setting up a new TV recently was a giant pain.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Does it support the remote or just the smartphone app? I remember reading something weird about their FireTV support is the reason I ask.

From here:

quote:

Amazon Fire TV can be controlled with Harmony Smart Keyboard
Navigation and text entry is possible with Harmony Smart Keyboard or Harmony App.
Requires a Harmony Smart Keyboard USB receiver. Learn more.
Other Harmony products cannot control Amazon Fire TV.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 9, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Does it support the remote or just the smartphone app? I remember reading something weird about their FireTV support is the reason I ask.

From here:

Eew, yuck.

quote:

All commands, including navigation and media controls are sent using the USB receiver which must be plugged into the back of Amazon Fire TV. We recommend creating a Watch a Movie Activity type.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Wait, the little USB hockey puck must now have another connection going to the FireTV to make it happen? Not insurmountable, but lame.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I posted on the Logitech forums asking for clarification, it is not at all clear to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Logitech reps on the phone said no support without the USB Keyboard addon plugged into the FireTV. So yeah first the PS4 and now this. I am not a big fan of bluetooth based remote poo poo right now, the support fragmentation is annoying compared to IR based stuff. It's a loving mess of incompatible BT stacks and profiles, no companies seem to want to work together on it either.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Gunslinger posted:

Logitech reps on the phone said no support without the USB Keyboard addon plugged into the FireTV. So yeah first the PS4 and now this. I am not a big fan of bluetooth based remote poo poo right now, the support fragmentation is annoying compared to IR based stuff. It's a loving mess of incompatible BT stacks and profiles, no companies seem to want to work together on it either.

Is the USB Keyboard add-on a FireTV or Logitech thing? I have no familiarity with it whatsoever so I'm at a loss. This is an additional purchase?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Is the USB Keyboard add-on a FireTV or Logitech thing? I have no familiarity with it whatsoever so I'm at a loss. This is an additional purchase?

They basically took the K400 keyboard and the hub from the Smart Control and turned it into one SKU. You get those and 2 USB receivers or something. I saw it for $150 up here. I'm not sure if they sell the USB receivers separately or whatever. Anyways I am not controlling the FireTV with a damned keyboard just because they can't get their poo poo together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TraderStav posted:

It's a FireTV thing. The FireTV supports keyboards and mice, so Logitech made it work with their Harmony keyboard. There's no cooperation from Amazon involved.

Gunslinger, don't you live in Canada? If you were importing anyway, why a Fire TV instead of a Roku?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 10, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The real annoying thing about bluetooth controlled devices is that they could include an IR receiver for virtually nothing that accepts basic playback commands. Roku does it on their devices, the others should as well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

It's a FireTV thing. The FireTV supports keyboards and mice, so Logitech made it work with their Harmony keyboard. There's no cooperation from Amazon involved.

Gunslinger, don't you live in Canada? If you were importing anyway, why a Fire TV instead of a Roku?

I picked it up to replace 2 different boxes (XBMC and Netflix) at my girlfriends place. She doesn't have a media server for Plex and my upstream at home isn't good enough to support it full time even with QoS.

Hopefully they support it eventually, I am really not going back to multiple remotes because of bluetooth compatibility poo poo.

Edit: oh and apparently there is some lovely Nyko PS4 remote now. I have no idea if this means PS4 support is possible or not, its not clear if the thing even works according to reviews.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 10, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Gunslinger posted:

I picked it up to replace 2 different boxes (XBMC and Netflix) at my girlfriends place. She doesn't have a media server for Plex and my upstream at home isn't good enough to support it full time even with QoS.

Hopefully they support it eventually, I am really not going back to multiple remotes because of bluetooth compatibility poo poo.

Edit: oh and apparently there is some lovely Nyko PS4 remote now. I have no idea if this means PS4 support is possible or not, its not clear if the thing even works according to reviews.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/ps4-core-remote/113590

Probably emulates a keyboard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uses its own dongle too, which means you would have to buy the actual remote.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I just noticed that, lame. I just want to keep using my remote instead of my phone to control all of our stuff, why does this have to be so silly? :(

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The real annoying thing about bluetooth controlled devices is that they could include an IR receiver for virtually nothing that accepts basic playback commands. Roku does it on their devices, the others should as well.

It would be nicer if all the wifi-enabled tv-attached device manufacturers could just agree on some kind of a standard for network-based discovery and control. Let the devices announce themselves as a Blu-Ray deck or a Fire TV or whatever, state their capabilities, and then allow themselves to be controlled via commands from the network.

There's so much vendor lock-in that it'll never happen, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I just discovered today that my Smart Hub can control our window AC unit (I still don't understand just how the drat IR can be seen from where the hub is, its like magic).

I set it up as an activity to turn the AC on, and all the standard controls on the actual remote are available in the Harmony app (though they have to be assigned to the remote control pad).

Problem I'm having is when I try to start another activity, it shuts off the AC. Is there a better way to set it up to make the AC a totally separate thing from the A/V equipment?

• Locked thread