Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have an old Harmony 890. It's the RF model. They haven't made it for a while and I absolutely love it. The problem is that it's five years old, and it's starting to go bad. I got a new battery for it, but some of the buttons don't work. I've moved around the functions so the broken buttons are not a problem, but eventually it's going to go. All my home theater gear is in a rack in my basement, so I need the RF setup. If the remote breaks I'm screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wolrah posted:

If you're comfortable taking the remote apart it is possible to repair this. My 880 was doing the same thing, the volume buttons and a few of the heavily used keys near the LCD were basically nonfunctional until one of my housemates got bored and attacked the remote with contact cleaner. He says he replaced a laminate-like bit with some packing tape as well, but isn't sure if that helped anything or if it was more from the contact cleaner.

Either way my nearly 10 year old 880 now works like brand new again and I'm having to relearn to use the proper buttons again where I had previously remapped volume to the page up/down keys among others.

I really wish Logitech hadn't killed off the upgraded version of the 650, 660 I think it was. The one that was basically the same unit but had rechargeable batteries and charged over USB instead of the lovely dock the 880/890 have that requires regular contact cleaning to keep working.

Thanks! I have no problem taking apart the remote control, I'll crack it open and see what's what.

• Locked thread