Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010

ddegenha posted:

I'd be more interested in spoilers on what plot there is, and only spoilering mechanics talk when it touches on the plot. A person who hasn't played far into the game won't really understand what the mechanics you're discussing mean, and that person doesn't really have to worry about being spoilered. Zeta Scans are actually a good example... a person who isn't familiar with Fallout 2 has just learned from this that there's something called a Zeta Scan that can raise luck, but has no idea when, where, or what plot events this is associated with. As usual though, when it doubt spoilers aren't a horrible idea.

I'm fairly sure that a later (maybe unofficial?) patch corrected the zeta scan to drop your luck (which kind of fits, given how unlucky you'd have to be to get seriously mixed up with the real-life Hub).

Love to see this being LP'd and enjoying your style. Doctor as a tag seems a little strange: useful, but doesn't need that many points to heal limbs and by mid-game you'll be buried in stimpacks. I always favoured science so that I could do certain mid/late-game things for super-completionism. Unless you're just really fixed on having a temporary brahmin companion.

What do you intend to do with areas/quests with multiple resolutions? I'm thinking mainly of New Reno, especially all of the fun stuff you can do with the Bishop family. My inner autist is clamouring for the showing of ALL OF THE THINGS in the hopes that there's even more to this game than I thought, but I guess you only have the one lifetime to be devoting to entertaining internet strangers.

edit: previous update here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Obtuse Angol posted:

Love to see this being LP'd and enjoying your style. Doctor as a tag seems a little strange: useful, but doesn't need that many points to heal limbs and by mid-game you'll be buried in stimpacks. I always favoured science so that I could do certain mid/late-game things for super-completionism.

What do you intend to do with areas/quests with multiple resolutions? I'm thinking mainly of New Reno, especially all of the fun stuff you can do with the Bishop family.

edit: previous update here

Part of the rational is that there's ways you can raise Science without putting skill points into it up to a fairly high degree, then fill in the rest in that mid-game phase when you actually need it. On a few of the quests you actually need a combination of doctor and science for the best results, and since there's no way of getting doctor up without skill points tagging it speeds that side of the process along.

For the area you're thinking of, you can actually stack two of the endings together and do all of the things. It gets incredibly messy, but sometimes the body count is part of the fun in Fallout 2.

Next update will be tomorrow at around this time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Obtuse Angol posted:

I'm fairly sure that a later (maybe unofficial?) patch corrected the zeta scan to drop your luck (which kind of fits, given how unlucky you'd have to be to get seriously mixed up with the real-life Hub).

With the latest unofficial patch zeta scans have a random chance to either reduce or increasse luck I believe. No idea how it was without the unofficial patch because I havent played the game without it.

Obtuse Angol posted:

Doctor as a tag seems a little strange: useful, but doesn't need that many points to heal limbs and by mid-game you'll be buried in stimpacks. I always favoured science so that I could do certain mid/late-game things for super-completionism. Unless you're just really fixed on having a temporary brahmin companion.

You need at least 76% doctoring to find out about combat implants and 60% for living anatomy perk which is pretty good as perks go. This seems to be a speech heavy run so getting it up is really important for a bunch of encounters too. The early game can screw you over in a few ways if you don't have high doctoring.

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
Huh... I never had any issues with getting the implants (and I'm fairly sure I didn't miss much gameplay-wise), so I must've got into the habit of spending just enough on Doctor to unlock things.

ddegenha posted:

For the area you're thinking of, you can actually stack two of the endings together and do all of the things. It gets incredibly messy, but sometimes the body count is part of the fun in Fallout 2.

And how! My personal favourite is your kid ruling New Reno with an iron fist. I always made a point of wasting the Wrights after Sierra Nevada(?) because lazy, post-apocalyptic, post-rednecks shouldn't get to cash in big on YOUR hard work.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Unless I missed it, what's the difference between First Aid and Doctoring? Those seem kind of redundant.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Schwartzcough posted:

Unless I missed it, what's the difference between First Aid and Doctoring? Those seem kind of redundant.

For practical use, from what I remember, First Aid only heals your HP whereas Doctor can fix any crippled limbs you have, which can otherwise only be healed by items or NPCs.

Crippled limbs are really annoying if you don't have a reliable way of healing them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

tlarn posted:

For practical use, from what I remember, First Aid only heals your HP whereas Doctor can fix any crippled limbs you have, which can otherwise only be healed by items or NPCs.

Crippled limbs are really annoying if you don't have a reliable way of healing them.

Doctor also heals significantly more HP in a single skill check.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think first aid checks might take less time, though that really only matters (and then not really) in the first game.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 4: Bugmen of the Scrub Forest

It took me almost four days to walk from Arroyo to Klamath. Running into a large group of small radscorpions didn't speed the trip up any.

It looked like they'd invaded a small farm and driven out the inhabitants. At least, I hope they had. I found a few brahmin, but no bodies. I was glad nobody was around, since they would have gotten a real treat watching me run around in circles kicking at some scorpions. Once I was done I left as quickly as possible so I wouldn't have to be around the scene of my disgrace.

It's enough experience to kick us up into third level, which is actually very special because we get our first perk.

Perks are kind of like 3rd Edition D&D feats. You get one every third level, and they add various bonuses to your character. There's a ton of them so I won't go into detail on all of them right now but it's fair enough to say that all of the ones that are available at level 3 are pretty useless so you can pick whatever you feel like. I obviously didn't pick this one, because Luke's already admitted he's terrible with girls.

For this level I went with Night Vision. It reduces darkness levels by 20% and cuts ranged penalties in dark conditions. This isn't a really great perk, but all the really good ones come later. It'll also make it easier for you all to see what's going on when I take screenshots in dark conditions, which is beneficial for the LP even if it isn't great for my character. Our points go into speech, unarmed, small guns, and doctor. The first thing we want to do is boost speech up to 100% as fast as possible, then backfill other skills.

"er… um… hello. I'm Luke."

"Nice to meet ya Luke. I can see you're new here, so you wouldn't that it's customary to tip the town greeter before you ask any questions and such.

"Well, I wouldn't want to violate custom. Should be around five dollars, right? Say, you know any traders around here name of Vic? Selling old stuff?"

"I don't even want to hear the end of that sentence. Keep on doing your thing, Aldo."

I took a look around town and finding Vic's place wasn't hard at all. He'd been helpful enough to put a giant sign on the side of it that you could see from across town.

I took a look around since the place was empty and found more evidence that he'd been to Vault 13, along with a few odds and ends that might be worth something. Vic also had a six pack and a bottle of liquor, which made me think we might get along pretty well.

I kept looking and found a few more useful things that I also took with me. I'd just have to make it up to him if I used anything. The pipe rifle made it seem like he was worried about unwelcome visitors.

I also found out that some of the people in Klamath were assholes. That made what I did next a lot easier:

I ransacked the place.

I gathered up everything that looked useful or valuable, and then I went looking for a trader in town who didn't look like he'd ask many questions.

I found it over at Sajak's, a bar just down the street from Vic's place. I didn't really need to buy a drink since I'd found Vic's stash, and I definitely wasn't going to buy something for everybody in the place.

Instead I traded most of what I was carrying for some actual money, liquor, clothes, and a couple of other odds and ends. Sajak definitely wasn't the type to ask questions, and cash looks the same in everyone's pocket.

I also looked a lot better, and felt that way too now that I didn't have a bright blue jumpsuit making me stand our like a sore thumb.

I was hoping it would make me more popular with women, but it also made me more popular with dogs for some reason. I made a new friend by giving him some jerky, and he gave me a key that he'd been carrying around in his mouth for some reason. Dogs. They're weird. I also made a new friend in the more upstanding bar in town, when I spotted another tribal standing in the corner.

"Wait, who's we? Do you mean me and you?"

"The spirits with me, fren! They be all around. Sometimes talk."

"I miss Hakunin now. Kind of like extra bats in the belfry, huh?"

"I'm going to regret asking this, I know. Who's Grampy Bone?"

"Him strong spirit. Much honor carrying him."

"…you're talking about the bone in your nose, aren't you."

"Keep him close. Easier to touch his spirit. That's why he talk the most."

"Hey, I can only hear you talking so far."

"Ha! We going get along just fine."

"You know, I think we going get along too. So what are you doing here?"

"Wait, you're looking for Vic the trader too? Small world."

"Vic the traitor, more like. Comes to village, says he knows about slavers, tell us to come see him. We go, he ain't there."

"I feel a lot better about raiding his house now. Your sis got taken by slavers?"

"Sis went trading at another village and never came back. We and I go look for her."

"What about your sis?"

"The evil warriors tied up the rest and took off. Sis with 'em. Fren, we be finding her or dying trying."

"Sounds like slavers to me. Have you found anything out about them?"

"We and I know there's slavers at Den. When we're free, we're outta here."

"Wait, they're keeping you here?"

"If it'll get you out of this shithole, I've got $350 fren."

And I never regretted giving him that $350, either. Sulik was one of the best friends a man could ask for. I think the woman he gave the $350 to might have cried a bit when he left, but we didn't slow down on our way out until we almost ran into a brick wall in the shape of a man.

"Sulik, I think that if you've got extra bats in the belfry this guy could use a couple more."

"Mebbe so fren, but de be my bats and de not want to leave."

"Er… nice to meet you, Torr. Anything interesting happening here lately?"

"Bugmen take moo-moos at night. Torr scared! Hep Torr?"

Hakunin always said that we should take care of idiots and madmen, although that might have been self-interest speaking. I couldn't say no to a giant kid, though, especially when it might make me some friends. After all, he had to be somebody's boy didn't he?

Before I knew it, I was standing in the middle of a pasture over a dead radscorpion. It didn't look like a bugman to me, but it wasn't even dark yet so I didn't know what we might see before the night was out.

What I did see were a couple of slope-jawed knuckle draggers standing in the tree line and making absolutely no effort to conceal themselves from anyone with more on the ball than Torr. I started to get some unfortunate suspicions as soon as I saw them.

Sulik agreed with me. I think. A lot of times he'd make vague pronouncements about the area that I could usually twist into some kind of sense after everything was said and done. This first time that I asked his opinion, though, it was pretty clear.

They started to offer me a job, but when I told them I was interested they changed their minds. I couldn't get them to tell me what they were up to, and they got a bit upset when I asked.

Karma strikes again! Fallout 2 has two types of Karma - an aggregate score that tells you how good or how bad you've been, and a specific rating within a given city. You can be a hero across the wastelands and have one town where you killed the mayor's dog hate you with an unholy passion. In this case our overall Karma rating is already too high for these gentlemen to offer us their unethical quest of dubious legality.

Words were exchanged and then blows, and a few minutes later Sulik and I were standing over a pair of dead bodies. I was a bit upset at this since I'd never killed anybody before although I'd always known I might have to at some point, and the fact that Sulik had been in town long enough to assure me that the Duntons were there poo poo kings of rear end in a top hat mountain and wouldn't be missed only helped a little bit. So did taking a pair of spiked brass knuckles from them, which I had a much easier time using than my spears.

In a nearby clearing we found the other threat to Torr's brahmin chittering about miserably and cleared them out together. Having Sulik with me changed the way I had to fight. Rather than leading a chase and striking out at them, Sulik just ran into the middle and started hammering anything that looked like an enemy. With there being two of us, it actually worked out pretty well… by which I mean that I only got stung once, and Sulik only once or twice.

That was enough to satisfy Torr, so we left him to his brahmin ignorant of what the real threat he'd been facing had been. I was pretty sure that some more rad scorpions would come by in short order and dispose of the evidence.

Finding the set of fake radscorpion limbs that the Duntons had been using to pretend to be bugmen in some kind of half-assed cattle rustling scheme completed the rest of the task of making me feel better about killing them. Sometimes, you really can make the world a better place. After that we went back to the Buckner place where Sulik had been staying for a few drinks on the house. It turned out that Torr had actually been Torr Buckner.

"Afraid I didn't meet anybody like that on my way in to town ma'am, but I could have come in from the other side. Tell me about him and I'll let you know.

"No mon, don't do it!"

But it was too late. I was treated to an extensive description of Smiley, his relationship with Ardin, what a wonderful man he was, and how he'd left more than a month ago and hadn't come back yet. I was spellbound, and I think I felt my brains coming out of my ears at one point.

I ended up agreeing to go to the spot he told her about and find him. She'd never know if I didn't, but after all was said and done I felt guilty enough that I figured I would take a look when I had a chance. The entire family had a way about them that just made you want to help them.

Except for Torr's sister. When she warned me away from the Den because they enslaved ignorant tribals like myself it annoyed me and Sulik enough that we decided to head to Sajak's instead. Turned out that making that choice was going to have some interesting consequences.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

In addition to the stated differences, Doctoring is used in a few quests, whereas First Aid is purely gameplay-based. Conversely, you can boost First Aid through reading books, whereas you can only boost Doctoring through perks and skill point spending.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Sulik is, by far, one of the best and most-entertaining recruitable characters in any game, but especially in Fallout's early and mid game. Not only is he a goddamn HP sponge (The man has 85 Hp, when most Tough late-game critters cap out around 100 or so), but he's goddamn brutal with melee weapons. Don't give him a SMG unless you don't like retaining your vital organs inside you, though. Like all Recruitables, he tends to not worry about bullet spread when you're between him and a target.

Personally, I stuffed him into the best armour I could afford, and let him go to town with his Sledgehammer; more than half the time, when he whacked someone with it, he's send them sliding all over the ground, which, while it would eat AP with the whole 'getting back into range' part, was still funny as sin to me.

Sel Nar fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 17, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You say that the perks available at level 3 don't amount to much but Quick Pockets is one of the best in the game, as it lets you reload all your weapons and use all the items you want on yourself for 2 ap.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And I guess some of them changed by the time they get to FO3 and NV (which are the only ones I've played) - I remember ones like comprehension being pretty good in those games, as you could get a ton of extra skill points from reading books.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Books are capped at 90% or so and don't really show up often enough to cover skills you actually use. That and they're mostly for doctor, first aid and outdoorsman, none of which have that much utility. Guns and Bullets comes in handy but the next chance at one is several towns away and anyone actually shooting much will have passed the cap long before then.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

dis astranagant posted:

You say that the perks available at level 3 don't amount to much but Quick Pockets is one of the best in the game, as it lets you reload all your weapons and use all the items you want on yourself for 2 ap.

That one can be really useful for those reasons, but I try to avoid situations where I need to use so many healing items on myself and I don't mind taking a bit of AP to reload. It doesn't help that for some reason I can't right clock on items in the inventory menu and thus can't do anything other than reload with it.

Schwartzcough posted:

And I guess some of them changed by the time they get to FO3 and NV (which are the only ones I've played) - I remember ones like comprehension being pretty good in those games, as you could get a ton of extra skill points from reading books.

The problem is that in this game those books start to have rapidly diminishing returns and you usually find enough to reach that point. From that point of view, all that increasing the amount of skill points you get from reading books does is change how fast you get there.

I'm planning an update on all the new hireling mechanics after we get our next option... maybe I'll append a listing of the first two tiers of perks along with some notes about their functionality, since that would probably help and it would otherwise be a very short update.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 17, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I recognize some of the perk names enough to know that some of those would be really useless, assuming the effects are the same or similiar. Especially if its one perk to three levels. I thought New Vegas was annoying, but I'm not sure I could handle so few perks. I'm interested in the eventual write-up of the perks, especially Karma Sutra Master. Is that like the sexuality perks of later games?

Also, interesting that some quests are barred from you if your karma isn't right (or wrong). More replay value if nothing else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There are several sex related perks but that aspect of the game isn't implemented very well and they're only checked by a handful of events.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Awareness at the least is situationally useful, in that it lets you see the current HP of enemies instead of gauging by how vaguely dead they look. It's more a convenience, ultimately, like most of the other halfway-decent L3 perks, but it's there. Quick Pockets is probably your best option for an "oh crap" situation, and it's one of those things you want more when you don't have it - it's a godsend for drug-using builds, though, as you can reload, pop a stat-booster, and heal up for the AP cost of a normal reload.

Though being unable to context-use items from the inventory menu would make that much harder to do, yes.

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
Give Sajag the credit he's due: he may be a shady fence, but at least he's equal oppportunity enough to fence the things you've stolen from him, too (Velvet Elvi in the back room). Also, I'm not sure if you're already over the cap (or just didn't show it), but the Irish fella in Sajag's bar can give you a boost to unarmed skill.

The Dunton questline felt like there should've been more to it (though I guess that's the constant refrain with a game this labyrinthine). As far as I know, there's no "bringing them to justice" option that doesn't involve their kidneys becoming outies.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Obtuse Angol posted:

Give Sajag the credit he's due: he may be a shady fence, but at least he's equal oppportunity enough to fence the things you've stolen from him, too (Velvet Elvi in the back room). Also, I'm not sure if you're already over the cap (or just didn't show it), but the Irish fella in Sajag's bar can give you a boost to unarmed skill.

The Dunton questline felt like there should've been more to it (though I guess that's the constant refrain with a game this labyrinthine). As far as I know, there's no "bringing them to justice" option that doesn't involve their kidneys becoming outies.

I figure we're far from done in Klamath.

EDIT: There was sleep-deprived rambling here, but the short form of it is that there's a lot of cut content in this game, and just like KOTOR 2, there's a fan patch that tries its best to get as much of it put back in as possible. Granted, it can't do everything, but there's something, at least.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 17, 2014

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Obtuse Angol posted:

All things in time. Maybe I'll try to show how things go if you're a bit more of a dick, but that's adding on to an already full plate. There's definitely a lot to this game, as people have pointed out, so we'll see long this LP is going before I commit to anything like that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Obtuse Angol posted:

That's the wasteland justice option. :clint:

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010

ddegenha posted:

All things in time. Maybe I'll try to show how things go if you're a bit more of a dick, but that's adding on to an already full plate. There's definitely a lot to this game, as people have pointed out, so we'll see long this LP is going before I commit to anything like that.

I was about to retort "Is it possible for me to be any more of a dick?" before I properly parsed that sentence.

That's cool, you've already got your work cut out for you. I'm happy just to get my retro-post-nostalgia on with a game I haven't seen in a good 10 years and, hopefully, see things I might've missed out on in my youthful hubris.

If, in the fullness of time, you want to open the floor for things that'd be too much of a time-sink for you to do yourself, I'd be more than happy to dig out my discs and lend a hand.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Awareness at the least is situationally useful, in that it lets you see the current HP of enemies instead of gauging by how vaguely dead they look. It's more a convenience, ultimately, like most of the other halfway-decent L3 perks, but it's there. Quick Pockets is probably your best option for an "oh crap" situation, and it's one of those things you want more when you don't have it - it's a godsend for drug-using builds, though, as you can reload, pop a stat-booster, and heal up for the AP cost of a normal reload.

Though being unable to context-use items from the inventory menu would make that much harder to do, yes.

Awareness is really, really good for one specific thing I don't want to spoil. (hint: super stimpaks)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

M.Ciaster posted:

Awareness is really, really good for one specific thing I don't want to spoil. (hint: super stimpaks)

If you have a FAQ on hand, it's not that useful.

Admittedly, when I played I have no clue about much of anything, so awareness was kinda nice. If nothing else, when you're playing for the first time, you have no idea what enemies have 8 HP and which have a hundred. Again, though, not as useful if you're familiar with the game.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I can't believe I never managed to beat this game. I always got bogged down in the mid-game quests related to Vault City and New Reno. Sure, I could just avoid that part of the game entirely, but that would be skipping a whole hell of a lot of content, and I like to do everything I can in these sorts of games.

e: You may yet get me to reinstall Fallout 1 and 2 on my computer, as valkhorn did with Doom and Doom II. But I've got to finish the latter game first; I never beat it legitimately.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 5: Rat Regicide

Once we'd bought a couple of drinks, Sajak was willing to talk about anything under the sun. Unfortunately I'd already heard about the nearby towns, traders, and jobs so I decided to shoot for unusual.

I really didn't want to hear about the bugmen or make anybody else think about them, and I knew about the hunter…although my personal opinion was that he might have just gotten cold feet. The RUS's and the walking sounded a bit more interesting.

"What the hell's a Corvega… you know what, never mind. What did you say about a walking spirit?"

"whistling kind of noises coming from there."

"I think you 'civilized folk have a really low bar for what constitutes scary."

"Oh? Why don't you go down there right now tonight and see for yourself then?"

"Because we be brave, not stupid. Dat spirit mebbe not de only ting dere."

The next day, since it was getting a bit dark, we went to explore the canyon. Whatever we'd expected, some kind of broken down maintenance robot that had gone on a homicidal rampage wasn't it.

The robot trundled toward me so slowly that I eventually lost patience and came to it. It wasn't hard to stay out of its reach, and the whole thing would have been over a lot sooner if Sulik had done anything other than stare at it in bemusement. I had to lure it over to to within arm's reach before he woke up and took a swing at it. Once it finally stopped moving the oil that spilled out looked almost like blood.

At the other end of the canyon there was some kind of crashed… thing… with a couple of bodies lying around it. It looked more like they'd been thrown out of the thing than escaped it, especially since one of them looked like he'd been nearly cut in half. There was a square of yellow plastic on his body, which I picked up because I'd never seen anything like it.

Since we'd solved the mystery of the walking spirit, the next stop was to head to the other side of town and check out the RUS's. Frankly I didn't believe they existed, but once I got a good look at trapper town I figured it was going to have a vermin problem.

The stories were getting out of hand, unless he was speaking metaphorically. In that case he was completely accurate. Eventually we found someone who seemed to know a bit about what was going on.

"Nice to meet you too, Slim. So… trapper town, huh? Know anything about geckos?"

"You're interested in trapping, huh? You don't look like the type, but if some money changed hands..."

"You'd better have a lot to teach me for that."

I really shouldn't have said that. He started talking, and he didn't stop for a long, long time. Sulik almost had time to take a nap.

"That's for all the tips, Slim, but I still think just smelling the scat is good enough. I was wondering what you could tell me about rats."

Observant readers will notice that we're now $50 richer than we were a few moments ago. Looks like somebody put a + instead of a -. This is repeatable if you want to build up some cash and your outdoorsman skill.

"At home mom just used to pan-fry them with a little butter. But I meant about the rat attacks I've been hearing about."

"We and I think they best baked in mud balls with the skin still on."

"Never tried that. Anyway, people been disappearing. Just them as are slow and sickly,for now. 'Course, they don't stop to cook their food like us. They just gnaw it into a few bloody clumps of hair and rags. Least that's all we find in the morning. I've even heard talk that there's some kind of giant rat god that tells 'em all what to do. We barricaded up the town, but I ain't seen the key in a minute."

"Maybe there is something to those rumors… I think we can work something out with that door."

Turned out that the key I got from the dog was the key to trapper town. We weren't more than 10 steps away from the door before we found our first rat, but I was more interested in the abandoned gun shop. Something that kept me out of arms reach of enemies sounded like a great idea.

Instead, all I found were a pair of old rubber boots and some spare ammo. I should have known better, in retrospect. Before the rats got out of control the people of Klamath had plenty of time to empty it out.

And when I said the rats were out of control, I wasn't exaggerating. As we walked through the nearby buildings they were so thick that you practically couldn't take a step without hitting one. I'd never seen anything like it, especially in the middle of the day.

Near the back of the building we found one of their victims that they hadn't gotten around to devouring, as well as a ladder leading down into their nest. The stiff had a knife, but it hadn't helped him very much.

I'd expected the hole in the ground to be a carpet of rats, but it was actually fairly empty and surprisingly roomy. The light coming down from the ladder and a few holes in the ground illuminated everything. There were even a few things tucked away in a desk.

Down another hallway we found what looked like somebody buried partially in a rock fall. The rats hadn't bothered to dig him out, with all the easy meals they had access to. It was sickening to think about what had happened to these people, and judging by the way Sulik was hammering away at every rat he found he agreed.

It only got worse the further in we went. The next body we found was stripped down to the bones, the useless crowbar it had been holding still among the pile.

A few barrels suggested that this had once been some kind of storage facility, as well as giving some kind of explanation as to what had happened to the rats. I was a bit fuzzy on the particulars at the time, but I knew that there was nothing good about the mark on those barrels.

Looping around in the tunnels Sulik and I eventually came to another ladder leading downward into the darkness. We'd already killed every rat we could find on the surface and on this floor, but the truth is that you'll never get them all and you won't even come close unless you go down to the bottom of the rat hole.

The rats were even worse down on the second level. I thought some of the village rats were huge, but within a few steps I found the biggest rat I'd ever seen and crushed its head into a pulp in sheer panic. Unfortunately, that size record only stood for about five minutes.

Coming around the corner I found myself face to face with the biggest rat that I've ever seen, even until this day. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it had to be upwards of 300 pounds and the size of a bear. If I ever see a bigger rat I'll know that the time of humanity has passed and bow down to our new rat overlords.

It was too fast to run away from, so I stood my ground and decided that if I was going to get killed by a rat then that rat would remember me as the most troublesome meal of its life. There was something wrong about that rat, about the shape of its head… almost like it was overfilled. When one of my wild swings connected the spikes on my knuckles dug in and its head exploded like an overripe melon. Sulik didn't even have time to do anything other than look surprised. I'd almost swear I heard it talk right before it died, although I try my best to forget that.

Killing the Rat God gives us 300 bonus experience points plus the 220 for actually killing him, which is enough to kick Luke up to level 4. Skill points go to Speech, Small Guns, and Unarmed. We're almost done with Speech for the time being, at which point our other skills can catch up some.

The Rat God's nest was full of bones and tattered bits of bodies, including some with pockets full of money that they'd never have a need for.

A short branch held a fresher body, and if I hadn't already had knowledge that Smiley the Trapper had headed out of town I'd have probably have broken Ms. Buckner's heart. Instead, I went through his pockets for loose change.

I wasn't disappointed in my search for loose change, and I was really not disappointed to find a working 10 millimeter pistol. I even had a handful of ammunition that I'd scrounged up in various places around Klamath. It was still a bit too precious to use shooting at rats.

A nearby ladder took us to another section of the upper floor of the caves, where I saw what would have been the biggest rat of my life. It was now the second biggest, displacing the first one I saw on the floor above. It was a bit confusing keeping track, but I was getting pretty handy at crushing their skulls.

The rats had either learned how to use lockers, or someone else had been using the caverns as a storage dump for medical supplies and money. They hadn't bothered to put their name on anything, so I helped myself.

The second most valuable thing I found down there outside of the pistol was a multi-tool that must have been around from before the war. They really built things to last in those days.

Eventually the tunnels reached a dead end with a locked door. I didn't think there would be a key either, but we were a bit luckier than that.

The universal key, explosives, was being stored on a shelf right next to the door. Luckily, Sulik was pretty quick on picking up the concept of running like hell when I dropped the dynamite.

It looks like this door is actually meant to be opened a bit later in the game, but I don't see any reason to wait. I've actually run characters with tagged lockpick up to near 100% to this point and failed to open this door after multiple tries.

Unfortunately, there wasn't anything too special on the other side of the door, other than an old car up on blocks with a part that somebody had been planning to install. It was still sealed and in the box, so I took it with us.

Oh, there was also a broken down fridge with some nearly cold beer. Sulik and I split it up and finished it off before going back to through the now empty rat caves and heading out of town. I think we'd earned it.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

ddegenha posted:

Instead, I went through his pockets for loose change.

I understood that reference.

Is this your first chance to get a gun (not counting random overworld encounters)? If so, Fallout 3 really spoils you in that regard.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Phelddagrif posted:

I understood that reference.

Is this your first chance to get a gun (not counting random overworld encounters)? If so, Fallout 3 really spoils you in that regard.
The pipe gun in Vic's shack is a real gun that uses 10mm, if I recall.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ArchWizard posted:

The pipe gun in Vic's shack is a real gun that uses 10mm, if I recall.

This is true, but the pipe gun can only hold a single bullet, so you have to reload after every shot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The 10mm pistol down by the KEENG RA'AT is the first real gun you can get if you aren't going to count the pipe rifle. The pipe rifle may be slow but it's more accurate and much more damaging than any of the crappy melee weapons you have access to early on.

Or you can skip Klamath and murder a couple of shopkeepers in the second town without consequence.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ddegenha posted:

At the other end of the canyon there was some kind of crashed… thing… with a couple of bodies lying around it. It looked more like they'd been thrown out of the thing than escaped it, especially since one of them looked like he'd been nearly cut in half. There was a square of yellow plastic on his body, which I picked up because I'd never seen anything like it.

Fun fact about this thing: The pilot survived the crash and is an NPC in New Vegas.

Not sure if details about it are considered spoilers or not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Now here are two sections that never really worked properly for me in my EU version of the game, trying to enter the vertibird section always CTDed the game for me and after patching I could never ever actually find the 10mm pistol in the caverns and I think the body was even gone completely but I could be misremembering that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Actually, the reason you might be able to find that 10mm pistol is because you might have rested, causing the body to disappear, meaning the loot would be ejected from the corpse.

The problem in this particular area is that the blood would cover the loot, making it difficult to retrieve.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Mordaedil posted:

Actually, the reason you might be able to find that 10mm pistol is because you might have rested, causing the body to disappear, meaning the loot would be ejected from the corpse.

The problem in this particular area is that the blood would cover the loot, making it difficult to retrieve.

Possibly but I think I've made it through that section without resting at some point and still never really finding the pistol. But then again it's been a few years since I played it with that particular version.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Mordaedil posted:

Fun fact about this thing: The pilot survived the crash and is an NPC in New Vegas.

Not sure if details about it are considered spoilers or not.

Wait, really? I've played through both games multiple times and somehow managed to miss this. If ddegenha doesn't want that spoiled could you explain this by PM?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Fenrir posted:

Wait, really? I've played through both games multiple times and somehow managed to miss this. If ddegenha doesn't want that spoiled could you explain this by PM?

I'm actually kind of curious about that as well, although not having played NV I have no context to place it in. If it goes into too much detail about the origin of that vehicle, I'd just appreciate some spoiler tags.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Heres the wiki on the character. Obviously the link has some MAJOR fallout 2 and minor new vegas spoilers.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Daisy_Whitman

Iretep fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 19, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Iretep posted:

Heres the wiki on the character. Obviously the link has some MAJOR fallout 2 and minor new vegas spoilers.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Daisy_Whitman

I'll be damned. I even remember the character, but I guess I never really paid enough attention to her dialog and somehow didn't connect the dots.

And yeah, if you don't know Fallout 2 already don't click that, it's got a BIG loving spoiler.

e: Edited a spoiler tag into my quote since Iretep did so in his post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

The 10mm pistol down by the KEENG RA'AT is the first real gun you can get if you aren't going to count the pipe rifle. The pipe rifle may be slow but it's more accurate and much more damaging than any of the crappy melee weapons you have access to early on.

Or you can skip Klamath and murder a couple of shopkeepers in the second town without consequence.

You can also pick them up from random wasteland encounters. You can even get an SMG for free with no consequences, with a little bit of luck.

• Locked thread