Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
My primary issue with it is two-fold:

A good ruck prospect is not the same as a ready to go top level ruckman, a lot can go wrong with Longer's development, whereas barring injury McEvoy should be a monster next year. One is pretty much a lock, the other a risk.

Trading away all of your senior players for youth and draft picks looks like a great idea when you are down the bottom of the ladder, but ultimately you've gotta have some people left over to give the kids a break. The saints were really dire last year, even accounting for injuries, and what they have left in terms of senior player ranks are beginning to look properly old (Lenny :( , Riewoldt). It's all well and good to say 'hey, we've got great draft picks!' but it does no 18 year old good to get chucked into the senior side just to get physically belted every week.

Look at Melbourne. I refuse to believe ALL of those super early draft picks were dud selections, especially seeing as they largely picked the players everyone expected them to grab on draft day. But they had so few seasoned players left over to give those new guys a break that years of drafts have been tipped down the toilet (also bad coaching, no resources).

A big, talented ruckman would go a long way to alleviate those problems at St.Kilda, even if he is a bit suspect around the taps. Geelong did that with Steven King in the early 2000s. We had no good ruckman, we sucked, we werent winning a flag in those years, and to be fair we ruined Steven King physically by forcing him to shoulder the load he did. But gently caress did we need him to give those 18 yos a bit of a break around the stoppages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Saints have more senior players than you are giving them credit for, we still have the 6th oldest list in the league and we will still get some quality time out of some of our older players. Even after retiring 3 senior players and trading 2 more we still have 3 more players over the age of 25 than Melbourne will in the 2014 season. It just a matter of staggering our retirements while we transition to the new group of players who will form the core of our next flag attempt.

The 2013 trade period will be the one that makes or breaks the Saints next 5-10 years and we will either look back on it as a masterstoke or absolute stupidity, I don't think there will be much in-between.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Hawks fans, do NOT expect Macca to be the ruckman you want him to be. He is never going to be an elite ruckman, ever. What he IS however is fantastic around ground and has a colossal tank that can last a game.

Also having a top level ruckman is pointless for a developing side so bringing in Longer (Which Im very sure was intended from the begining of working out the Hawks trade) allows us to have one potentially elite ruckman and one possibly very strong ruckman hitting their prime around the same time which is going to be benefit us when we are actually trying for a flag.

As far as last year went, I have a distinct feeling that the amount of internal strife within the club and changing of game plans basically neutered last year entirely. A more rounded team, a fully stocked backline, and better leadership will hopefully turn things around enough where we have an okay season. Not too good though, still need those draft picks.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Periphery posted:

The 2013 trade period will be the one that makes or breaks the Saints next 5-10 years and we will either look back on it as a masterstoke or absolute stupidity, I don't think there will be much in-between.

This I completely agree on. If Longer turns out to be the player we expect and if the trade out/retirement of so many players and a new game plan this year doesnt neuter development, the Saints could be back in the 8 and challenging within 3-4 years. I'm just wary of trading on older players for the pursuit of youth at all costs, quite a few clubs have been burned by not respecting the need for older blokes in their side to teach, mentor, and protect developing talent (I'm looking at you, Gary Ayres era Geelong, and you, Melbourne)

quote:

Also having a top level ruckman is pointless for a developing side

So Will Minson should have been traded on as well? Best ruckman in the league and the Doggies are certainly a developing side.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 15, 2014

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

Diet Crack posted:

So we're finally ditching the stupid round robin format in the preseason to single matches? Thank christ. A game a day is going to be interesting.

Any bets on who burns out first as a team?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

This I completely agree on. If Longer turns out to be the player we expect and if the trade out/retirement of so many players and a new game plan this year doesnt neuter development, the Saints could be back in the 8 and challenging within 3-4 years.

Honestly if we aren't pushing into the 8 legitimately in 3 years then we would have hosed up monumentally and another rebuild would be needed. Fortunately St Kilda seems to be a team of extremes the last 15 years so I dont see us going middle road like Richmond, Carlton, North etc.. have been doing since the 90s.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Nutsngum posted:

Hawks fans, do NOT expect Macca to be the ruckman you want him to be. He is never going to be an elite ruckman, ever. What he IS however is fantastic around ground and has a colossal tank that can last a game.
Remember that the interchange cap is kicking in, so this is probably just as important. He'll be able to slot in and out with Hale and Roughead as needed. Plus we needed to get someone in since Bailey retired.

Longer would've been alright too, for the reasons discussed, but the only loser out of how that unfolded was Brisbane.

Watching Saturday night games is going to be irritating because BT gets the Tourettes about McEvoy.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Remember that the interchange cap is kicking in, so this is probably just as important. He'll be able to slot in and out with Hale and Roughead as needed. Plus we needed to get someone in since Bailey retired.

Longer would've been alright too, for the reasons discussed, but the only loser out of how that unfolded was Brisbane.

Watching Saturday night games is going to be irritating because BT gets the Tourettes about McEvoy.

Mcevoy is going to fit into the Hawk's lineup pretty well dont you worry. As much as I liked McEvoy, both as a player and as a future captain etc... I am NOT going to miss Brian Taylor's awful big boys.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Great starter TG Chrono, specially liked the ins and outs of each team! Looking forward to what Adam Simpson and the new recruits bring to the eagles this year. Hopefully fighting for top 4 and maybe a surprise flag LOL... this is likely Darren Glass's last year and Cox probably doesn't have much left either so need to get as much out of them as possible while developing the replacements for a seamless transition.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

davmo1 posted:

Got my membership sorted for the year already, travelling up from Canberra for the home games. Any other Swans fans in the thread?

Ugh, don't envy driving up to Sydney every other week! Couple games at Manuka Star Trak oval this year, but it can be pretty average to watch footy at.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

davmo1 posted:

Got my membership sorted for the year already, travelling up from Canberra for the home games. Any other Swans fans in the thread?
There are a couple of us. The Buddy / 9 year thing is still doing my head in, but seeing pictures of him and Tippet training together tickles me in all the right places.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:toxx:If Chris Dawes, Jesse Hogan and Mitch Clark line up together in 6 or more games this season I will get a Jack Watts comedy avatar for the 2015 season.:toxx:

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014

TG-Chrono posted:

Ugh, don't envy driving up to Sydney every other week! Couple games at Manuka Star Trak oval this year, but it can be pretty average to watch footy at.

Yeah was great when we actually got Swans games here... now it's GWS... *cringe*

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xarb posted:

There are a couple of us. The Buddy / 9 year thing is still doing my head in, but seeing pictures of him and Tippet training together tickles me in all the right places.

I've given this some (about five minutes) thought and my theory is that they figure they've got about three years to get another championship before Gold Coast and GWS dominate for the next decade, so they might as well sacrifice six seasons or so for the three seasons prior to that.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

I've given this some (about five minutes) thought and my theory is that they figure they've got about three years to get another championship before Gold Coast and GWS dominate for the next decade, so they might as well sacrifice six seasons or so for the three seasons prior to that.

I thought it might be because they figure that over the 9 years the salary cap will rise and the more it rises the less overall effect of the deal has. I don't know if that makes any sense. :shrug:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

If Paul Chapman plays more then 12 games (incl finals) I will get an giffed avatar relating to James Hird and Drugs.

:toxx:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does the AFL have guaranteed money like the NFL? If you see a contract like Buddy's handed out to an old star in the NFL, it's generally front-loaded and the team will either cut him without much penalty, or he'll retire when he's old and overpaid well before the contract expires.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Volkerball posted:

Does the AFL have guaranteed money like the NFL? If you see a contract like Buddy's handed out to an old star in the NFL, it's generally front-loaded and the team will either cut him without much penalty, or he'll retire when he's old and overpaid well before the contract expires.

All money is guaranteed in the AFL. Which makes it even more nonsensical.

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:

The Deadly Hume posted:

Schoenmakers has been getting quite a bit of ruck training of late, so dont be surprised if he gets some ruck time this season.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Volkerball posted:

Buddy's is actually backloaded because of the Tippet thing and if he retires they have to pay him all at once and declare it in the cap that season. I believe they can keep him on their list and keep paying him which seems most likely to me

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah Buddy will retire with two or more years left on the contract probably, and the Swans will just keep paying him as if he was there (and that counts in the cap).

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014

realbez posted:

Yeah Buddy will retire with two or more years left on the contract probably, and the Swans will just keep paying him as if he was there (and that counts in the cap).

Yeah.. I still don't get why they would make that deal. It's pretty much a retirement package

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I wonder how that works with :catdrugs: since he's still technically a listed AFL player

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If Sydney found a way to get him kicked out of the comp for getting 3 strikes would they still have to pay?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

davmo1 posted:

Yeah.. I still don't get why they would make that deal. It's pretty much a retirement package
Probably to eliminate any possibility of Hawthorn matching it

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

realbez posted:

If Sydney found a way to get him kicked out of the comp for getting 3 strikes would they still have to pay?

I don't think they would?

The plot thickens

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014

realbez posted:

If that was listed on his contract as a termination... then I'd say it could be argued. They'd probably end up going to court about it and settling though.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that in situations like that, Sydney don't have to pay, but it still counts against their salary cap.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
Yeah that's probably correct.. anyone know of any other cases like that?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Not really the same thing, but Brisbane had to pay out Fevola's contract after they sacked him with two years remaining ($750k per year), even though it probably had a "don't be a dickhead" clause.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Updated the OP with the latest toxxes. Pretty flush this year. Still keen for Superbowl drinking sesh in a fortnight, might hit up GBS auspol

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm too stupid to work it out. When exactly is the Super Bowl?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

realbez posted:

One of these saucy lads.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

realbez posted:

1st Monday of Feb (3rd of Feb). At the Great Northern in Carlton. 11am.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 18, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Actually during on the mid-90s Super Bowls ('95 or '96, whatever roman numeral it was), there was a guy on the sidelines wearing an Australia A one-day cricket shirt with the southern cross on it. I wondered what the story behind that was.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

1st Monday of Feb (3rd of Feb). At the Great Northern in Carlton. 11am.

I finish work at 2:30pm so I'll come by after probably. If you're still there.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Everytime i see new posts in this thread half of me thinks this is the day i read that hogan, elark and viney haved committed ritual suicide i think i have ptsd

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Dont be silly, those three will die in a bus crash on the way to an interstate their game, their shattered bodies cushioning Cameron Pederson and leaving him completely unscathed.

Dandy GO
Sep 27, 2004

flavour country
Amazing OP!

2013 was a poo poo year to be an Adelaide fan, and I wasn't getting a whole lot of enjoyment out of footy, but I'm very optimistic about 2014. Plus, Gieschen is gone so hopefully I won't have to ragepost about the falling standard of umpiring this year (unlikely).

I'll jump in on the :toxx: bandwagon.
If Port beat Adelaide in a final, I'll provide commentary while I watch this clip on repeat for 30 minutes straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRImt7kzbPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Hopefully we shall get some tribunal tweaking for better consistency

• Locked thread