Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to see all these dragon-headed dudes walking on stage with jedi robes.

Seriously though, they can't really do a full-on dragon in the time they have can they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Basebf555 posted:

Can't wait to see all these dragon-headed dudes walking on stage with jedi robes.

Seriously though, they can't really do a full-on dragon in the time they have can they?

Roy and Zorg could.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Roy and Zorg could.

Well it would be huge and impressive as hell, and it would probably have giant wings that spread across the entire stage. It would also probably be half finished and the wings would look like paper-mache. Roy and Zorg were so ambitious that they never really put together anything actually camera ready. Unlike, say, Anthony who had like 5 or 6 entries in his season that could have been on camera that day no problem.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Basebf555 posted:

Well it would be huge and impressive as hell, and it would probably have giant wings that spread across the entire stage. It would also probably be half finished and the wings would look like paper-mache. Roy and Zorg were so ambitious that they never really put together anything actually camera ready. Unlike, say, Anthony who had like 5 or 6 entries in his season that could have been on camera that day no problem.

Roy might be able to pull it off. Zorg would definitely go too ambitious with it, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bored posted:

Roy might be able to pull it off. Zorg would definitely go too ambitious with it, though.

Having said that though, I wish more contestants had their attitude. Everybody, including the judges, knows that the time constraints on the show aren't exactly realistic. A director could look at Roy and Zorg's designs from the show and very easily imagine how they might look with a few more weeks of polish. More contestants need to treat the show as a showcase for their creative talent rather than a simple competition. Every season one or two people seem to understand that but the others are always stuck in that reality show mode where they're playing it as safe as possible and are designing everything around just surviving to the next episode.

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

This will be just like the dinosaur challenge.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Lol. Ice dragon looks pretty cool, but his eyes are all :downs:

Edit: The first ice dragon, I mean. It's awesome looking, so the wall-eyedness caused by the contacts was really funny to me.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 29, 2014

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
There are some pretty good ones, but hooo boy the bad ones are pretty bad.

Edit: WOOOOOOOW, Glenn just tearing back that hood on the Seahorse??? dragon. I wasn't thinking I'd see all that hosed up stuff in the back.

double edit: Glenn i mean whoops

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 29, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I wonder if they'll use the first save on the sea horse.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Wow they like that Chinese dragon? I thought it's paint was lovely and cluttered.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
She got really lucky they didn't choose her Sea dragon in the best and worst one

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That Chinese one was terrible, I can't believe they liked it so much.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Looks like Rashaad IS the Fox/Zorg of this season huh.

Edit: I would have given it to Rashaad for all the work he did that was actually good because holy poo poo.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 29, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Looks like Rashaad IS the Fox/Zorg of this season huh.

He seems to be a much stronger artist, imo.

Daniel's dragon's costume looks more like a housecoat than a kimono.

It looks kind of like a green and gold version of Keenser, Scotty's assistant in the Star Trek reboots.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 29, 2014

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I am really shocked that they didn't pull Chloe's in for the worst. She probably doesn't deserve to go home yet, but she deserved to get chewed out a bit over it. I thought maybe they were using the producer's-save card on her but if they did so, you'd think they'd announce it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Rashaad is my favourite so far, he's living large and managing to pull it off.

Basebf555 posted:

I recently watched the end of series 3 where Roy decided not to fabricate anything and just present a finished makeup in the semifinal and it got him eliminated. :( On the plus side it meant we got an entire other series of his crazy shenanigans so it worked out okay in the end. :v:

gninjagnome posted:

That Chinese one was terrible, I can't believe they liked it so much.

When it first appeared on stage at the end I actually said "Oh WHOOPS!" out loud, it looked so bad.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Just watched it. Sorry in advance about the long post! I should say upfront that I'm not a fan of humanoid dragons, so I liked the ones that tried to get away from the human form as much as possible.

Poor Chloe. Last week she really disappointed me, but this time she had what I thought was a clever idea, since I hadn't a clue how anyone was going to work sand-spitting into a dragon. She kinda got hosed over by bad luck, and didn't do nearly as much work as she seemed to be originally planning on. I think she should have been in the bottom instead of Daniel, though, "bad luck" isn't usually an acceptable excuse with the judges. It's a shame, her drawing at the beginning showed a full appliance from the waist up and a character with no arms, which I don't think anyone's done on the show before. That would've been really cool if she'd pulled it off, definitely the sort of makeup that would look killer with a week's planning and work.

Graham really impressed me this episode after that "expanding gravity" fiasco with Chloe, although his makeup didn't exactly look like a dragon to me. I wish he'd stuck with his original quadruped design, though, he might have been able to make top looks on having something really interesting and different from the rest. Although, again, I'm biased against humanoid dragons, so maybe that's just me.

Nico, dude, why would you not try to salvage the breastpiece?? Then again he didn't have time to do a not-lovely paint job as it was, so maybe it was the right move.

"I think it's the best one I've done so far." Uh Matt, buddy, that's not really saying much. It was a big jump in quality from the last two he was involved with, I'll give him that.

I liked Charles' paint job a lot more when it was just black on red back at the lab; the brass color didn't really do it for me. It does help to distinguish it from Tanner's, but then that just reminds me that I liked Tanner's better. Also, I'm pretty sure Charles must've watched Legend very recently.

I think Rashaad should have gone all the way with a gorilla build. It took me a little bit out of it to see the regular human legs under that amazing upper body; maybe even just having the model crouch more could've gotten him the win this time. Other than that, though, I'm loving it like all of his work so far.

Tyler kind of annoys me, so I would've liked it more if Rashaad has won. Vulture + Cold was a really good idea, though, and he did a drat good job on it, so I have to admit he deserved his win.

How the gently caress did they not send Tess home. It had hair and quills, and that terrible chin and ears and feet. Daniel's idea was pretty irrelevant to the slime, but his makeup looked pretty scaly to me, and at least it was complete. I think he actually got screwed over by whoever gave him that kimono in the end, I'd be fuming at the costume people if I were him. I was expecting someone to pop up and go "LOL PRANKED but seriously here's the real kimono", it was so bad.

One thing I noticed: Rashaad definitely has the drawing skills of this group. The others really, uh, do not.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 29, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
All good top looks. I actually liked George's chinese dragon, especially since nobody else did it. I think they overrate "original concept". I don't care if it's been done if it looks cool. I think he made a mistake with the red wardrobe with the red paint, but overall it was cool and distinctive.

Notgothic posted:

One thing I noticed: Rashaad definitely has the drawing skills of this group. The others really, uh, do not.

I noticed this too, his dragon profile sketch was baller.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I'm wondering if the camera mucked up the colors on the red dragon.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

All good top looks. I actually liked George's chinese dragon, especially since nobody else did it. I think they overrate "original concept". I don't care if it's been done if it looks cool. I think he made a mistake with the red wardrobe with the red paint, but overall it was cool and distinctive.

I liked the sculpt, but hated the paint job. It was way too much red, and the gold highlights looked like they were sloppily added at the last minute. I would buy it might have looked better I person.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Here's the pictures from Syfy's website. They've kinda got their own color problems.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What was funny was that I don't even think the guy knew he was making a Chinese dragon. I think he just put too much yellow/gold into the paint job and the judges happened to like it. Other than the fact that it had red and yellow I can't see what makes it Chinese. Its not a long worm-style dragon, it doesn't have long whiskers, its just a demon guy who happens to have some yellow in the paint job.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Basebf555 posted:

What was funny was that I don't even think the guy knew he was making a Chinese dragon. I think he just put too much yellow/gold into the paint job and the judges happened to like it. Other than the fact that it had red and yellow I can't see what makes it Chinese. Its not a long worm-style dragon, it doesn't have long whiskers, its just a demon guy who happens to have some yellow in the paint job.

I didn't really read "Chinese dragon" from it, either. But hey, when the judges fill in a blank on their own, and they like what they filled it in with, there's no need to correct them. That's why Alang a couple seasons back lasted so long, although that comparison is probably doing a disservice to Charles.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Magnus Condomus posted:

I'm wondering if the camera mucked up the colors on the red dragon.

That or you all just have terrible TVs, it looked good to me. Very faithful to the style that you see in chinese dragons.

Basebf555 posted:

Or maybe the judges and I have differing opinions than everyone else about what mkes a chinese dragon because the shapes he used for the face and cowl screamed that to me, so I thought it was incredibly obvious that it was intentional.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 29, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've only ever seen those giant worm style dragons that are in the New Year's parades in China and I really don't see a resemblance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That looked a lot like Chinese Dragon sculptures I saw in Hong Kong. There are a bunch of different 'dragon' body shapes in China.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Notgothic posted:

It's a shame, her drawing at the beginning showed a full appliance from the waist up and a character with no arms, which I don't think anyone's done on the show before. That would've been really cool if she'd pulled it off, definitely the sort of makeup that would look killer with a week's planning and work.

Pretty sure that drawing was done by an intern on the show and not by her to illustrate what she maybe was going for. They do that a lot since, for some reason, a lot of the contestants can't draw worth a poo poo. The no arms thing would also look really stupid while wearing a skirt. I could see it turning out to be good though, if she had a week like you said. But it would have to lose the humanoid part of the challenge. I liked the face skulpt, actually. It was pretty cool.

Watching the Michael Westmoore bit again just now, it looks like Tyler and Darran can actually draw. I'm too lazy to watch for Rashaad's since I think they actually flash his concept up later. Judging by his sculpt, though, I imagine his concept is pretty well done, too. I think he really understands anatomy. I kind of wish he had used different sized teeth for the mouth so that they weren't all one uniform size. I actually noticed that last night. It looked a bit off in an otherwise amazing costume. Not that he really had time to think about that, what with all the fabricating he did on top of the amazing sculpt and paint job.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Bored posted:

Pretty sure that drawing was done by an intern on the show and not by her to illustrate what she maybe was going for. They do that a lot since, for some reason, a lot of the contestants can't draw worth a poo poo. The no arms thing would also look really stupid while wearing a skirt. I could see it turning out to be good though, if she had a week like you said. But it would have to lose the humanoid part of the challenge. I liked the face skulpt, actually. It was pretty cool.

Watching the Michael Westmoore bit again just now, it looks like Tyler and Darran can actually draw. I'm too lazy to watch for Rashaad's since I think they actually flash his concept up later. Judging by his sculpt, though, I imagine his concept is pretty well done, too. I think he really understands anatomy. I kind of wish he had used different sized teeth for the mouth so that they weren't all one uniform size. I actually noticed that last night. It looked a bit off in an otherwise amazing costume. Not that he really had time to think about that, what with all the fabricating he did on top of the amazing sculpt and paint job.

Rashaad is awesome at drawing and awesome at painting. I figured I'd hate him because of his hair and the extra a, but now I'm pulling for him. There's no way that old guy should've been booted for his. Chloe's and Tess' were so much worse in every conceivable way. I know the producers weigh in to heighten the drama, but Chloe had half a lovely head and Tess' was one of the worst in every way that I've ever seen.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Ariza posted:

I figured I'd hate him because of his hair

Stupid hair people are always good at this poo poo. Have you even watched this show?!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Timett posted:

Stupid hair people are always good at this poo poo. Have you even watched this show?!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Episode 4: "Guitar Gods"
Airdate: February 4, 2014
The artists get ready to roll 'n rock as they team together to build an original rock star character who has truly become one with an electric guitar.

Also this happened:

Awww! :yayclod::h::h::h:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Well, did not see that one coming.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Apparently it was announced back when the season started??? But yeah I didn't know either.

Neat! :3:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I can't look at Tess without thinking of Colbie Smulders. So even if she isn't great, go team Robin!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Apparently it was announced back when the season started??? But yeah I didn't know either.

Neat! :3:

I was going to post it, but figured everyone else already knew if I did. I'm usually behind other goons on picking up on entertainment news.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Patrick!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's always awkward to be the last two without a partner.

Though it's even worse when there's an odd number of people in the class and then you have to just join one of the other groups...

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Aww. Tess and Matt were the last kids picked. :(
I wouldn't want to work with them either. Although a rockabilly goat is an could be an awesome idea. But I think goats are neato.

Should go with a wider nose on the goat. I didn't spot Tess's original sculpt, though., so I don't know if Matt's is an improvement or not. I'm stoked to see what George and Darren's will look like.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 5, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not sure those weird lookin' ribs were the right way to go. The robotic heart is an interesting idea though.

Oh noooo the horn broke!

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The horn slipped off. Classic

• Locked thread