Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Sasha

"Yeah but by that logic we could tell them she was eatin' a baby when we found her and worshiping the dark forbidden gods, if there are any round these parts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Bries Chersk

"Back home there is always a dark forbidden god, a circle of demonologists or tomb of an ancient evil. They come standard with ancient ruins and in what remains of the old towers of wizards. Which is exactly where we are right now, a ruined section of town with a wizards tower."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The woman glares at Sasha. "I'm a thief. You think the Council likes a thief? No, they'll spike me on a pole and call me a lesson for the others out there." At Tara's urging, she continues: "And that's why you won't. I won't show you or tell you where the coin is until you've unbound me."

Morn: The Council of Ten is the ruling body of Phlan, ten elected judges who all are able to pass summary judgment as they see fit. Phlan's citizens don't have much faith in the Council, and often call for elections at the slightest pretense; at any point, the head of the council is named "Number One." At this time, Number One is a man named Ernst, who runs Phlan's largest livery.

Sasha: You don't remember anything about the Council of Ten, but Pirate's Point jostles your mind a little. You think you heard talk about it on a ship once...maybe one of your old friends would know something?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Bries Chersk

Bries Eyes the unarmed woman skeptically.

Checking to see if she is being honest about the money, Sense Motive + 7 = 14

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Lularie

"Shoulda thought of that before you went stealing then," says Lularie, unconcerned. "Look, even if she's got that money, if we take this, we can't work as bounty hunters here again. And that's not enough money, split up, to never work again. Why are we even doing this? Let's just haul her in already."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Bries: She's being honest.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Tara
"I for one would rather not get ambushed and nearly killed again by another one of her or her friends' tricks. I say we just go turn her in."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Rowan Greenbridge

"Who'd ever know? It's not like we signed a contract, we just took the flyer off the tavern wall." Rowan shifts, flexing her new armor as she considers the offer. She walks to the door, looks both ways outside, and then closes it. "Still... drat. I'm pretty anti-thieves being piked in the town square, for definitely legitimate religious reasons that none of you need to inquire into, but I think I've heard enough out of Smokepowder McAmbush out of there."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

"Aye, as a former member of what ye might call an allied profession, I vote we take her bribe and cut her loose. Better to deal with an honest thief than a lying council, and all councils lie." Sasha had opinions on government, and they were mostly that he was not a huge fan. "Best way to avoid getting ambushed by her mates, I reckon, is to not send her to the rope and the pike. Living folk give less cause to avenge their old mates."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Morn

Morn nods. "I'm with Sasha. It's not like serving the council is necessarily the same as serving justice. May as well get what we can and move on. We should accept this br-- generous offer."

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Bries Chersk

"Well I don't think she is lying, seems a lot more risky then turning her in though. I guess we can let her go, better not bite us in the rear end though."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Lularie

"So why did we take up bounty hunting in the first place if we'd rather let the marks go than turn them in?" Lularie makes a low, irritated noise, and retrieves her hedgehog, petting it down the back a few times, as if to calm herself.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Kamil

The wanderer has been quietly watching the whole scene with reservations, at best. "I agree with our wizard," he finally says, quietly, "and yet, the assassin makes a compelling point. The council is not particular about the fates of thieves and murderers. But what concerns me more than the money is the why. Murder always happens for a reason. And we've heard information that there's more to it than a simple rivalry or a revenge. So tell me, assassin...why?"

Diplomacy for d20+11=27. Sorry for the absence, I'll endeavour to be more active.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

"We took up bounty hunting to turn a coin, aye? This turns a heavier coin, right?" He considers a moment. "Council ain't done nothin' to inspire me, like, and don't really seem to have much of a city to begin with." He shrugs.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Morn

Morn rubs his chin thoughtfully. "I agree getting the most coin is the most desirable outcome, but perhaps there is another side of the game we're not seeing. Namely, the concern of our reputation. We could land a higher payment here if we diverge from our agreement, but how would we fare in the future if word spread that we let our bounties go.. or otherwise fail to catch them?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

"We ain't signed nothin' nor took no oath, only got the notion from a handbill. I reckon if no one knows we were after it, there ain't no loss. No more than the thousand other souls to walk by that handbill and not catch her. Not sure how I feel about cultivating a reputation as a fetchling for whatever calls itself a government, now that I think of it."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
"Why, planetouched? Why is not for me or for you. There's secrets on the Sea of Dragons, all of you - and I did a job, and I got my coin, and now I'll leave without asking questions that will get me knifed in the night - or burned by a wizard's touch. Now, if you'll undo these binds, I'll take you to that coin I promised."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Rowan Greenbridge

Rowan frowns and turns to the door, noting the sunlight peeking around the edges before turning back to the thief. "That's a very accommodating attitude you have towards keeping your secrets. Of course, it is only about an hour past highsun, so if you want to get knifed in the night you have a bit of a wait ahead of you." Rowan inclines her head towards Luralie. "Being burned by a wizard's touch is available now if you'd like to just get it over with, though. Or perhaps you'd care to reconsider that decision?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
"Is that a threat, thief? If it is, I'll take my chances with the Council - the Lord of the Dead will be kinder on my soul than those I anger." The woman hooks her nose in the air, watching the sun.'

Glossary

The Lord of the Dead: Kelemvor, god of death and the dead.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

This had all sort of gotten past Sasha at this point. His mind, normally not unlike a steel trap for riddles and mysteries, was sort of baffled on many levels. Finally, it kicks into gear. The wheels turn, the gears grind, and he comes back with a scathing response. The perfect response. The only response, really, given this situation.

"What?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Kamil

She had a point. Even beyond the usual standards that assassins held their reputation to, ratting out your employer's not good business. Still, it had been worth a try. Kamil shrugs lightly and says: "I suppose you're right. Let's go, then." With quick hands, he unties the woman, though not before making sure one of the others has a weapon trained on her - in case she decides to run after all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Lularie

Lularie just rolls her eyes, and pets her hedgehog.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

"Right then, lets get paid and be done with it. Been at this too long as it stands," Sasha says. This was making him uncomfortable, and he was not clear why. The prospect of a fat bag of gold was strongly appealing however, so that and a nice place to stay tonight and a good hot meal would make things pretty all right, he considered.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The woman nods, and smiles at the weapon. "Right. This way, then." She leads you down another few streets, away from the walls of New Phlan and towards the edge of the ramshackle tradesmeet known as the Slum Market. Here, a street away from the bustle of the market, she kneels down by a set of nondescript cobblestones, right next to a battered old sign with faded paint reading "GIRLS GRUB AND GOOD BEDS THSI WAY." The assassin digs her fingers into the dirt right next to a cobblestone, and pulls it up. Underneath is a dented, rusty old lockbox, and she pulls it out, opening the lid with the tip of her nail. Inside is a huge amount of irregular gold coins that shine red, the telltale sign of coins from Zhentil Keep. They have the weeping wolves on the face, and the towers on the Keep on the back: this is what she promised you, if not more!

The woman hands the box over to the first person to take it. "Now, may I at least have my ring back? It's precious to me. Memories and all."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

"Fine with me," Sasha says. She'd paid her way, after all. "Those of you lookin' to hold on to it, we might need a mate in the sharp end of the shadow some day, reckon that trinket ain't much of a price to pay to buy a bit of goodwill."

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tara
(Pending a quick check to make sure the coins aren't illusory or something with detect magic, this is what Tara will do. If there is something magic about them, then consider this to not take effect yet. Just posting this this way to keep things moving for now.)

Tara gives her the ring back. "Sure, here you go. Now lets be our separate ways."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Lularie

Lularie makes a noise in the back of her throat as she eyeballs the money. Something seemed awfully fishy about this. But she's clearly been overruled as it is, so she stays shut up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
"Thank you." The woman takes her ring back, gives an exaggerated bow, and disappears into the ruins of Old Phlan. What do you do?

Tara: The coins are not magical in any way.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 14, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Morn

Morn offers his group a closed-mouth smile. "Well, we are official blackmailing thugs. What say we find the dirtiest dive in town and celebrate our mercenary status with some poorly kegged ale?"

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Bries Chersk

"Can't say a drink would be bad, but perhaps we should liquidate this stuff first."

Bries indicates the Loot Pile.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

"If you know a place to offload this stuff, let's go."

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 15, 2014

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Bries Chersk

Bries Shrugs.

"I don't think it could be that hard to find some place willing to take some equipment off of our hands. Life is hard in the Moonsea, weapons allways sell well"

I'm unsure what to do, shall we just scene transition there, roll sometime to find a place or what ?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Looking for a place to sell your ill-gotten gains, you find yourself in Phlan's slum market. Organized by the downtrodden and the impoverished who eke out a living in the ruins of the Old City, the slum markets are a mixture of liars, fences, and scam merchants. Still, there's no questions asked about where you found these things, and there's sometimes a treasure hidden among the mess. Most of the market is "small coin" trade in sundries: an old beaten-down dwarf women selling rags; a dirty halfling selling root vegetables with most of the eyes cut off. At one end, across from a combination chicken seller and improvise tannery, is Brail's Arms.

Brail has been in Phlan for who knows how long: a tanned, strong-armed blacksmith with one eye gone long ago. Despite the squalor around him, Brail turns out serviceable arms and armor, and he's willing to buy used armor to sell or refashion. When you enter his store - a large tent turned black from years of iron soot and smoke - he nods at you while he keeps hammering away at his anvil. Seeing the armour you're carrying, he points to an scarred old worktable. A moment later, your loot spread out on the table, Brail comes over and picks through the goods. "Hmph." He picks up one of the axes and swings it experimentally, then tests the weight of the greatsword. "I don't want to know where you got this, do I."

Brail turns over the armour, investigating it for nicks and cuts. "Hmph." He leans back. "Three hundred and fifty gold for the lot. I won't buy the pistol: no chance I can sell it. And some of the armour will have to be refitted for purchase."

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tara
"Three fifty? You can get far more for this I'm sure. Just look at the blade on this thing." Tara runs a finger along the blade of the Greatsword. "It's quite sharp. This chain shirt is in good condition as well. Five hundred for everything, and that's still a decent deal for you."

(Going to take 10 on appraise for a total of 18)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Rowan Greenbridge

Rowan puts her hand on the pistol. "Such fine craftsmanship, but I can see you're not interested. Are there any stores around here with an eye for quality goods, then?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Brail chuckles. "Three hundred and eighty. Final offer." You shake hands, and he begins counting out coins from a lockbox.

"As for your pistol, girl...you could try selling it to the Thayvians. They like complicated things. Or maybe a sailor at the Broken Blade would take it off your hands: I've heard smokepowder weapons are quite popular on the Moonsea. Gods know why, a crossbow shoots just as fast and won't blow you straight to Bane's arms! Or there is Maleo, across the market. Woman's a bit odd, but she collects oddities. Not that a smokepowder weapon is unheard of. It might be uncommon enough for her."

As Brail counts out the coins, you see that most of his money is Zhentil wolves, like yours...but what's this? They're a bit duller, and a bit thinner..and the towers aren't the same shape at all, yours evenly tall and Brail's coming to a point. With a shiver down your spine, you realize that the murderess had you: the coins she paid you off with are fakes!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Lularie

Lularie doesn't say anything. But boy howdy does she look smug. And annoyed.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sasha

Seeing the coins made plain and realizing what has happened, realizing his role in it, a towering shitvolcano of poo poo begins to boil deep in the shitmine that is the heart of Sasha. He storms outside, muttering fuckword after fuckword. He has been burned before, but his rear end is chapped hard this time. A mistake made, no quarter will be given in the future. He has looked into the poo poo abyss and seen nothing calling back, the winds of poo poo working into a poo poo tornado as the skin on his forehead all but splits from hate and rage and unpleasantness. Needless to say, it is evident to all that he is not loving happy about recent events.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Rowan Greenbridge

Rowan frowns at the coins, then sighs and rubs her hand through her hair. "Well, fantastic. I don't suppose you have any armor stain, or dye, or paint handy Brail? I can't say I'm fond of the color of this armor." She pulls it over her head and makes a face. "She didn't have the best personal hygiene standards, either. Ugh. I can't believe I put this on without washing it first, but needs must."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Brail blanches, realizing whose armour that is. "You got her, hmm? All the nobles are aflutter with rumour: she killed one of theirs and made off with his effects. The bounty you'll receive from the Council must be great indeed. And Maleo didn't like her either, come to think of it..." Brail turns around and digs in a pile of scraps, returning with a large earthenware jar. "Clay. Won't be pretty, but it will hide the colours. A copper for as much as you want, but the jar is mine."

• Locked thread