Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Thesaya posted:

I keep getting peoples gender mixed up. When guys have hips, it isn't just androgynous any more.I can't wrap my head around the male design in this game. I mean, females make sense because of fan service, but th guys? ...why?

Well actually I forgot which one, but there's a theory that one of the characters is actually female and I guess just got gender swapped to male in the English release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zain posted:

Well actually I forgot which one, but there's a theory that one of the characters is actually female and I guess just got gender swapped to male in the English release.
I tried to decide who was the girliest male in order to determine which one might have been a woman.

I gave up.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I tried to decide who was the girliest male in order to determine which one might have been a woman.

I gave up.

My guess is Azel. But of course, that would also make Azel the best designed female character in the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Reith is a stupid name. Everyone in this game has stupid names.

Azel is an alright name I guess.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Reith is a stupid name. Everyone in this game has stupid names.

Azel is an alright name I guess.

Having played a little further, I think Reith might actually be retarded

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spiffo posted:

Having played a little further, I think Reith might actually be retarded

Anime Amnesia means usually you are a complete and utter idiot and the universe made you forget so as to not feel the burning shame.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh dang, saw this on youtube. Hadn't realized you guys had posted a thread yet! Glad you're back with something even more incomprehensible to me than the Tales games.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
Oh god, I bought this game when I was young and stupid. I have no idea how I was able to force myself to finish it. I remember liking only one party member in the whole game, and strangely I think he's the only character in the whole game with an actual real name.

Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

Oh god, I bought this game when I was young and stupid. I have no idea how I was able to force myself to finish it. I remember liking only one party member in the whole game, and strangely I think he's the only character in the whole game with an actual real name.

Wow, you managed to finish it? Here is your endurance trophy. drat.
Second, I hope you don't mean who I think you mean.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Looks like they pitched this game as the next Final Fantasy X and borrowed from that series in the process.

Some Raijin:

Some Ifrit:

..and a slight nod to Sephiroth?

Have to agree with Cat about the Legend of Dragoon comparison also. At first it was just the QTE fight mechanics. But the cave in the second update had everything except an Urobolus. In fact, let's compare MAGICAL GIRLFRIENDS:

Shana VS Reith

Polsy posted:

The burning village opening just reminded me of Xenogears. Especially when it followed up with a man saying 'Do you desire power?'

nine-gear crow posted:

It also smacks of White Knight Chronciles, which came years after Magna Carta but also features an implacable knight in black armour torching the heroes's home town. So this trope survived well into the 'aughts, at the very least.

Add Fable to the list.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

Catling Gun posted:

Wow, you managed to finish it? Here is your endurance trophy. drat.
Second, I hope you don't mean who I think you mean.

I actually took like a sixth month break after getting about halfway through. That coupled with my apathy for the game's story has left most of this game as a blur to me.
I also forgot about Chris, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are other characters I forgot as well. It's gonna be interesting seeing everything again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh good, another Spiffo LP. These are some of the best group LP's I've ever seen, lots of extra effort put into editing them.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Thanks Stabbles, we try :shobon:

PRL412 posted:

Some Raijin:

Some Ifrit:

..and a slight nod to Sephiroth?

Shana VS Reith

This post owns

Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

Don't say "We". I pride myself on putting like no effort into this at all.
Basically I'm too cool for you tryhards.

(Yes I am working chi posts geez man get off my back)

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I bought this game based on the recommendation of a Gamestop employee. In retrospect, I think he hated everyone, and wanted customers to suffer. I never finished it, and honestly don't remember if I made it past the first town. The glacial pace of the game just killed any interest I had for it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

alcharagia posted:

Reith is a stupid name..

Hope you like hearing it a lot.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Law posted:

Hope you like hearing it a lot.

Yuuuuuuuup

Speaking of which!

Part 1: Lester, and a new mission (~17 minutes)
Part 2: Damage control (~20 minutes)

Now that we're at Lester, we can rejoin the Tears of Blood and introduce them to Reith! She's Reith, and she's special! We then get a quick rescue OP, but also need to keep Reith out of trouble. Also, for some reason Calintz pats her on the head like a dog.

In part one, we finally check out combo attacks. They're big flashy anime attacks that do a bunch of damage but require a complicated input. Some styles have these, and they become available when you master it. They don't follow the "progression" that most styles are stuck with - you can use the combo attack any time, and right away. Level 4 attacks are stronger but you have to work for it - combo attacks are still good and are available immediately.

In part two, we check out counter attacks. These are regular-rear end attacks, but they happen on the opponent's turn and take up no gauge. Instead of inputting the command for your attack, you have to input the command for theirs. Get it right and their attack doesn't happen, yours does instead! That said, you have to basically guess what element they're using so this is a great way to empty out your trinity meter (which drops to 0 when you miss a shot).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...wow. Counter attacks are kiiiiind of bullshit.

Almost as much bullshit as the utter lack of animation for crashing planes and exploding elfy things.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nearly everything in this game is bullshit.

Nearly everything.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nessa posted:

Nearly everything in this game is bullshit.

Nearly everything.
There's something in this game that's not bullshit?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

There's something in this game that's not bullshit?

The music is alright.

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
Oh man, I remember buying this game in a Toy Shop liquidation sale for like 50$ and in retrospect, I think that I might have been better off just not buying this game at all. Even 12 year old me recognised that this game was basically a crash course in Anime bullshit and yet I still almost beat it.

But I can still hold a little bit of dignity in saying that I never fully completed it. Just 90% of it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

This may be the first time I've looked at a random Japanese VLP of an JRPG and found even they were actually bothering to edit out all the battles instead of just leaving everything in. It's nice that they put some different attack methods in, but drat, it's still pretty slow.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Nessa posted:

The music is alright.

The music is kind of bullshit

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

The theme song is terrible but the rest of the soundtrack is pretty alright. Anyway we came back and played some more Magna Carta!

Part 1: Saying Goodbye(~13 minutes)
Part 2: More Trouble (~15 minutes)

Back at Lester, we get Reith out of prison and treat Azel for his injuries. We also get flashbacks to Calintz' past like WHOA.

I wanted to focus more on the story, since we've seen what the combat has to offer right at the moment for now. So there's not a whole hell of a lot of combat in this update (this is a good thing). So enjoy the show~~

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This is the video game form of ennui

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Spiffo posted:

The theme song is terrible but the rest of the soundtrack is pretty alright. Anyway we came back and played some more Magna Carta!

Part 1: Saying Goodbye(~13 minutes)
Part 2: More Trouble (~15 minutes)

Back at Lester, we get Reith out of prison and treat Azel for his injuries. We also get flashbacks to Calintz' past like WHOA.

I wanted to focus more on the story, since we've seen what the combat has to offer right at the moment for now. So there's not a whole hell of a lot of combat in this update (this is a good thing). So enjoy the show~~

Oh god that "child molester" line. It's both hilarious and clinching proof that this game was simply "translated" instead of properly localized. Stay brave LPers. None shall forget your sacrifice.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Just watched the first video and... What? I have no idea what they were trying to get across in half of those confusing cut scenes. The flash backs and enemy schemes in particular.

Also, second vid, when Eonis runs up to you with her boobs bouncing all over the place all I can think is ow, ow ow ow, ow. She doesn't seem to have any support for those huge boobs and that hurts so much! And her neck must be made out of titanium with all that weight on it, the halter being the only support she have. The back is too low to help too.

And I know I am thinking too much about it, but having a rather large chest myself (although no way near the anime size nor on such a disproportionate frame) it just stands out to me. Even among all the other illogical things in this game.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 20, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AccidentalHipster posted:

Oh god that "child molester" line. It's both hilarious and clinching proof that this game was simply "translated" instead of properly localized. Stay brave LPers. None shall forget your sacrifice.

Reith's excessive 'Im sorry' is also an indicator.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The commentary's a bit out of sync in the first video, around 9 minutes in. Maybe earlier, but it definitely is when you mention Azhadi's tongue and the film grain effect before they happen.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I have no idea what's going on in those flashbacks either. This game is really bad at storytelling.

Thesaya posted:

Just watched the first video and... What? I have no idea what they were trying to get across in half of those confusing cut scenes. The flash backs and enemy schemes in particular.

Also, second vid, when Eonis runs up to you with her boobs bouncing all over the place all I can think is oq, ow ow ow, ow. She doesn't seem to have any support for those huge boobs and that hurts so much! And her neck must be made out of titanium with all that weight on it, the halter being, the only support she have. The back is too low to help too.

And I know I am thinking too much about it, but having a rather large chest myself (although no way near the anime size nor on such a disproportionate frame) it just stands out to me. Even among all the other illogical things in this game.

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that this game was made with no input from women, large-chested or otherwise.

ANIME.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Chris' character disturbs me far more than all the other characters, solely because his design looks so normal and sensible (Especially compared to how ~*~Anime~*~ everyone else is) then suddenly he turns around and you see this thing.

Why!? Why does the back of his shirt pop up like that? What is even the point of it? Is it a tramp stamp window? Does his butt need extra ventilation? Was his seamstress drunk? Does he store his arrows in his asscrack? What?!

The front of the shirt is normal length, too. It's just the back that delves into crazy town. It is the mullet of flannel shirts. :psyduck:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 20, 2014

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

dijon du jour posted:

Chris' character disturbs me far more than all the other characters, solely because his design looks so normal and sensible (Especially compared to how ~*~Anime~*~ everyone else is) then suddenly he turns around and you see this thing.

Why!? Why does the back of his shirt pop up like that? What is even the point of it? Is it a tramp stamp window? Does his butt need extra ventilation? Was his seamstress drunk? Does he store his arrows in his asscrack? What?!

The front of the shirt is normal length, too. It's just the back that delves into crazy town. It is the mullet of flannel shirts. :psyduck:

I don't think any single item of clothing is cut in a "normal" way. Either low in the back, exposing the midriff in the front, the lower back, cutouts all over... I suspect the Tears seamstress wanted to save fabric and just invented styles that used as little as she could get away with.

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy
I laughed way too hard at this little exchange.

Haren: "What the hell is wrong with you?"
Reith: "I'm Reith!"

I get the feeling this is going to be a running theme throughout the game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Oh man I finally figured out this stupid game's combat system

Like the combat system is poorly executed, it's reasonable to assume that it's possible to break.

I broke it. :getin:

Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

I'm getting to work on that chi post I promised you guys once this overtime hell at work is finished with. Since it's late I've decided to go hardcore, so prepare to learn!
Also, I'm preparing a super late Catpost so get your art in early!

Pompitous posted:

I laughed way too hard at this little exchange.

Haren: "What the hell is wrong with you?"
Reith: "I'm Reith!"

I get the feeling this is going to be a running theme throughout the game.

Seriously, I touched on it in the video, but I just wuv Reith. Like, wuv. Spelling/pronouncing this correctly doesn't convey my affection for this weird stupid puppy-person. With her vacant widdle eyes and her confused widdle shuffling around.
Wuv means never having to say "I'm sorry!"

dijon du jour posted:

Also he is wearing a kitty bell. A giant fuckin' kitty bell.
To lure in children.

Octatonic posted:

The music is kind of bullshit

Hardcore.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Spiffo posted:

Oh man I finally figured out this stupid game's combat system

Like the combat system is poorly executed, it's reasonable to assume that it's possible to break.

I broke it. :getin:

Please tell me it involves kiting enemies around the arena or something equally retarded and unrelated to the (intended) meat of the combat.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: Just got referred to this thread, and it's looking pretty great. Preparing these episodes must take some serious editing.

Looking forward to seeing more of this bizarre game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Oops! I did it again!

Part 1: Mount Rhyde (~13 minutes)
Part 2: Lightning Ruins (~18 minutes)

Reith is kidnapped but we have a new friend Maya to take her healing place. Now we all have to go after Reith who is hidden in one of the games elemental dungeons (the first of what I assume will be many). Lightning's the name of the game which makes Haren our go-to muscleman.

In these videos we're able to dive a little deeper into how Chi works, and the importance of manipulating the Chi Lanterns scattered throughout the game. We also fight a whole bunch of bosses toward the end, and it winds up being really really satisfying. We insult this game a lot because it's terrible, but here I'm genuinely enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Poor girl. Her boobs are not free from pain even in cut scenes. Oh and hello! I'm Saya! I'm sorry!

• Locked thread