Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the idea behind making the big fuckoff weapons "more accurate" is like, if someone swings a giant axe at you, SOMETHING of yours is getting chopped off. It always made sense to me anyway, especially when you think of dealing damage as being this kind of ephemeral representation of a lot of things other than literally hitting something until it stops moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Update!

Look we've got a new, enigmatic item and an options menu full of challenges when you start a new game, among some other changes. Inscriptions raise armor DR? Is that his answer to useless glyphs? Blindweed is now dreamweed, which seems too much like a duplicate of the freezing seed, to me.

Time to go play it.

EDIT: I was mistaken about the dreamweed! It doesn't just make a monster fall asleep, it emits a new (very pretty) gas that confuses them, causing them to move erratically. A good replacement for blindness, which did something similar to the AI (bit only after they moved to the last known position of a hostile), and far more useful.

EDIT2: Weightstones can be used on a weapon once to make it either accurate or fast. You can get them at shops.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 12, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

The weightstone increases a weapon's speed or accuracy by at least .3, looks like. I had a mace (.8) and was able to strike twice with it in a turn with one. They don't stack, you get one or the other. I don't have a cleared game save so I have no idea what the challenges are.

Also this means he's not done updating the game, I guess. I had guessed the opposite.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
You can start a challenge by hitting a little shield in the center of the character select screen, presumably only after you have a win, though. Challenges are:

No food
No armors (sic)
No health potions (sick!)
No dew/seeds
"Swarm intelligence"
Darkness

You can take more than one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't tell any difference between "immersive mode" and regular.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

precision posted:

I can't tell any difference between "immersive mode" and regular.
Immersive mode was added in Android 4.4 and all it does is hide on-screen buttons to get more display area. Your device either does not have 4.4 or has physical buttons instead of on-screen ones.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Hey motherfucker. Are you a certified Yog murderer, descending peeps to Yendor time after time without a care in the world? Are you looking for a new battle of wills with the RNG, a test of patience that will rock your balls, rear end, and cock off through sheer tedium?

Then maybe you should be going for...

All Potions, Scrolls, Rings & Wands Identified

Yes that's right, even though Wands and Rings have no associated tabs in the Catalogus, there are badges for assembling the complete(ish) collections, just as with Potions and Scrolls. Unlike potions and scrolls, you're probably not going to ever see the full set on your usual quest to poke ancient gods in the eye.

gently caress, I've got to get ALL the wands and rings on the SAME CHARACTER?!

No, actually, this is a compilation badge; it's activated when you complete each of its constituent tasks, which can be done on separate characters.

Oh. gently caress, I've got to get ALL the wands on one character and ALL the rings on a different character after that?!

Actually not quite. You need to get 11 of the 13 wands and 10 of the 12 rings.

Oh. gently caress, I need to get 10 out of- wait, what? That doesn't make any sense, are you sure about that

Yeah, check it:

code:
if (known.size() == items.length - 1) {
	for (int i=0; i < items.length; i++) {
		if (!known.contains( items[i] )) {
			known.add( items[i] );
As many of you may have noticed, when you've identified all but one of a particular class of items, the game lets you have the identity of the last one because you've already singled it out through process of elimination. That, and:

code:
public class WandOfMagicMissile extends Wand {
@Override
	protected boolean isKnown() {
		return true;
The wand of Magic Missle is always identified. You can skip it and one other; the remaining eleven you've gotta get yourself.

The badge for rings is a different special case:

code:
	public static boolean allKnown() {
		return handler.known().size() == rings.length - 2;
The game just wants two fewer rings than there are in total, full stop. Why? Presumably because the rings of Thorns and The Haggler are generated under different circumstances that the other ten rings (as rare drops from DM-300 and Crazy Theives, respectively), so Watabou reduced the number of rings necessary to be considered a full collection by the two of them. He didn't do anything to make them not count towards your total if you DO get them, though, so if you happen to obtain one or both, that means you can skip a couple of the normal ones.

Okay, dork, but this is still ridiculous, I've never gotten more than like four rings on a run before.

Sounds like you haven't explored the magic of Hero's Remains. This is a simple cross-character mechanic that involves harnessing the power of YASD to transmit a random equipped item to the next character that comes to the floor you died on, in the form of one of those piles of bones that you've probably already noticed from how many cursed daggers and sets of cloth armor they seem to contain. So you're going to have two characters, a master and a slave; the slave is going to go get a wand or some rings, then go back to the floor that your master character is about to descend to, and find an expedient means of suicide. Subsequently, you go to the master's save file, descend to the floor the slave just died on, and check his pile of bones. Then you start a new game with the slave character and do the same thing over and over and loving over again.

Specifics:

-There is only ever one set of Hero's Remains in potentia at a time, and it will be found by the next hero (in any save file) who is generating a new floor of the same depth that the Hero's Remains character died on. New floors can be generated in one of two ways: By descending to them for the first time on that save file, or by dying with an Ankh on a boss floor. There are 25 floors and 4 ankhs in the game; That means you've got 29 chances to transmit items via Hero's Remains.
-When your character dies, one of his four equipment slots is randomly chosen to load the Hero's Remains. If there's equipment in that slot, then Hero's Remains will be generated with that item, but it will be cursed and level-capped. If there isn't equipment in that slot, then Hero's Remains will be generated with a fraction of his carried gold. That means you've got a 25% chance of transmitting an equipped wand or a 50% chance of transmitting one of your two rings. It also means that you should think about what kind of benefit your other equipment (like your armor) will be to your master character, and maybe even sell a bunch of poo poo and un-equip stuff to replace the chance of transmitting bogus equipment with a chance to send some cash.
If the Hero's Remains you find on depth 1 doesn't contain an item you were looking for, and there wasn't another item of that type generated randomly by the floor, then you basically have no advantage to carry over to level 2 and should just start over with your master character.
-Only the Mage can put a wand in an equipment slot; it is therefore necessary to use him to transmit all your wands. That's not such a bad thing; he has one of the best basic character traits in the post-Weightstone game (which is to say, he starts with a knuckleduster), and the Warlock is really consistent, durable subclass.
-The Rogue starts out with a ring of Stealth, which makes him the obvious choice for ring-master. Since you'll probably want to play catch-as-catch-can with your slave character and just transmit rings or wands based on what you happen to find, that means you'll have a second master character going for wands; the warrior is the stronger of the two remaining.

Okay so then my odds are-

A guaranteed ring of stealth, plus an assured transmission from your first Hero's Remains, followed by 25% or 50% on each of the 28 Hero's Remains thereafter, gives an average of about 9 wands or 17 rings. You'll also get a guaranteed Well of Transmutation and the Wandmaker or Imp, which will assure your master two extra wand or ring sightings in his own run, plus any golden key rooms, extra wells of transmutation, and the off-chance of regular old randomly generated crap on the floor means that this task is extremely attainable.

About that second part: Not all wands are equally forthcoming. If the source code works like it looks like it works, every wand you find on the floor or in a golden-key chest has these chances of being a particular wand:

Avalanche/Disintegration: 5 out of 113
Regrowth/Telekinesis: 6 out of 113
Flock/Teleportation: 10 out of 113
Slowness/Amok: 10 out of 113
Poison: 10 out of 113
Blink: 11 out of 113
Lightning/Firebolt: 15 out of 113.

The Old Wandmaker will offer you an equal chance (20%) off of a list of either battle (Avalance, Disintegrate, Poison, Lightning or Firebolt) or non-battle (Regrowth, Telekinesis, Slowness, Amok, or Blink).

So, to maximize your master character's chance of finding wands that aren't duplicates of the ones you've already transmitted, I suggest sending them in this order:

Flock and Teleportation first, because they aren't available from the wandmaker. Then, Avalance and Disintegration since they have the lowest chance of being found randomly. If those four are the only ones you have when you get to the wandmaker, then asking him for a non-battle wand will guarantee a wand you've never seen before. But, if you transmit all four and still haven't found the wandmaker, then you should probably start trying for poison unless your master character has already found non-battle wands on the ground, in which case I leave it to you to calculate your own circumstances. Once you've completed the wandmaker's quest, though, just start transmitting unfound wands in descending order of rarity.

Doing it this way means passing up a lot of slave characters who just never happen to find the particular wand that you want, and is thus the slower and more assured method. You might also just try transmitting the first wand your slave sees that your master doesn't have, and accept the poorer chances that that particular master character will win the badge. That's fast enough that you probably break even on time; I don't know, do whatever seems more fun.

For rings you can just do whatever the gently caress. Start off sending two rings, and halfway through your master's run, you'll probably be swimming in the loving things and in a position to just start accepting the halved chance that comes with generating Hero's Remains after only finding one ring that you need.

Good luck, nerd.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 13, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Yikes.

In unrelated news, there's a fan-made version of Pixel Dungeon on the Play Store: Shattered Pixel Dungeon

I haven't bothered checking it out yet but it has a good rating.

quote:

Shattered Pixel Dungeon is a game based upon Pixel Dungeon's Open Source. Its aim is to make Pixel Dungeon the best game it can be, with reworks to existing content and tonnes of new stuff as well!

Both Pixel Dungeon and Shattered Pixel Dungeon belong to the roguelike genre. The dungeon and items are randomly generated, so no two play sessions are the same. Roguelike games are difficult and feature permanent death (no loading a save to try again!). While you may try and fail many times, this makes winning all the more satisfying.

It is of the utmost importance that Shattered Pixel Dungeon still feels and plays like Pixel Dungeon, if you encounter any bugs or issues please contact me and I will try to sort them out. If something seems out of place or overpowered/underpowered, let me know and I'll look into it.

Here are the current differences from Pixel Dungeon:
- Rings completely overhauled, 6 totally new rings!
- New item class: ARTIFACTS! unique utility items that do not need scrolls of upgrade!
- New food item/plant added, you'll have to find it!
- Many potions/seeds/scrolls tweaked to be more useful, a few nerfed as well.
- Rogue starting ring has been replaced with an artifact.
- Dew vial no longer autorevives, but can now bless an ankh.
- Small monster tweaks, including nerfing health potion farming from fly swarms.
- Various small balance tweaks and bugfixes

Shattered Pixel Dungeon is constantly being updated, so expect this list to grow!

Shattered Pixel Dungeon is open source under the GPLv3 Licence and has been posted on Google Play with Watabou's (the original dev) approval. It is currently using v1.7.1c of Pixel Dungeon's source, and will be updated when new source is available. You can find the current Shattered Pixel Dungeon source here: https://github.com/00-Evan/shattered-pixel-dungeon
If you would like to do any work with this source code, please contact me first as a courtesy.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Wow, really makes you appreciate the synchronous enemy movement Watabou added last patch. I hardly remembered the game being so jittery before.

Wish Watabou would update his guthub.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:stare:

That post made my head hurt...

Shattered Pixel Dungeon is pretty good so far.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
What have you guys found in shattered dungeon so far?

I found some sort of goblet that you filled with your own blood. Each time you'd use it, you'd take progressively more damage to power it up to the next level. I think it increased your hp regeneration rate, but maybe I'm wrong. It was an accessory, like a ring.

The ghost quest has some insane enemy options. I got it on level 4, and the beast was a blue crab, who I could only damage (slightly) with a fire potion. He blocked all my physical attacks and killed me.

I've got a few seeds called blandfruit. I think you use them in an alchemy pot, but I haven't tried yet.

It was updated just a couple days ago, so I'm still playing with it. I've been doing really poorly, and haven't gotten past level 5 yet.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Civil posted:

What have you guys found in shattered dungeon so far?

I found some sort of goblet that you filled with your own blood. Each time you'd use it, you'd take progressively more damage to power it up to the next level. I think it increased your hp regeneration rate, but maybe I'm wrong. It was an accessory, like a ring.

The ghost quest has some insane enemy options. I got it on level 4, and the beast was a blue crab, who I could only damage (slightly) with a fire potion. He blocked all my physical attacks and killed me.

I've got a few seeds called blandfruit. I think you use them in an alchemy pot, but I haven't tried yet.

It was updated just a couple days ago, so I'm still playing with it. I've been doing really poorly, and haven't gotten past level 5 yet.

There's an accessory that stops you when there's a trap ahead. An all seeing eye or something. It has a counter from 0 to 100 that seemed to increase just by walking around and has flavor text about how it watches you. Don't know what the counter did.

The ghost crab is only vulnerable to door attacks as far as I can tell. There's also a similar enemy, the Gnoll Trickster. It has ranged darts and killed me the only time I saw it because it wouldn't follow me and I couldn't close in on it.

I haven't been able to cook the blandfruit, I always forget I have it.

Goo now telegraphs its area attack, which is nice. And the area he's in is more than essentially being just a long hallway. There are more empty rooms and it can be a circle which is great for kiting. The other bosses seem the same (sans the last one which I haven't yet seen in this version).

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
The black cloud that Goo now creates in Shattered is flammable (RIP), potentially useful though.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
:siren: Second quickslot just got added to the base game. :siren:

Eikre
May 2, 2009
So I got around to playing the Shattered game I started. I had the notion that the change to the rogue's base equipment would make him far stronger. I was right.

Got it in one.

The thing with charging ankhs means you can be building your second autorevive even while you still have your first, and even build up a stockpile. Gives you an even better safety blanket than ever before.

Besides being better food when you cook it, Blandfruit attains the effect of the associated potion of whichever seed you cook it with (invisibility from blindseed, mindvision from fadeleaf), except for icecap, which gives you a frozen cappacio effect for some reason. I personally think it should be a cure for fire that doesn't freeze you, instead.

Oh, the scroll of challenge? Causes an Amok effect on everything in range, now, in addition to alarming everything on the floor. Use them on piranhas.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 27, 2014

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
It took me a lot of tries, but I finally got a good run on shattered with the warrior. But when I got to the lv20 boss, either him or his skeletons repeatedly hit me with paralysis. I had plenty of health potions, but I was killed from 75% life due to a string of paralysis.

Not sure how I'll deal with him next time I get there.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
They have that in the base game too. That's why paralytic gas doesn't work on them, I guess. But if you could beat him before, you should still be able to.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Lol Watabou updated to make upgrade scrolls temporary and now his game sucks a bunch more.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It seems like equipment is a lot more common now, though. So that kinda balances it out, but the degrading still sucks. On the bright side, I love the bombs, particularly for chasing down thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Equipment degrading is very common on roguelikes, but they tend to be much longer games in general, and you can do more things like eating enemies corpses. So having it deteriorate is ok, but they need to add more things in to the game. I'd start with adding more floors, a new game +, and then just make the floors larger.

• Locked thread