Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Pixel Dungeon (blog|dedicated wiki) is a roguelike, available only on the Android OS. You can use Bluestacks (wikipedia) to play it on your PC/Mac, if you don't have an Android device.

Pixel Dungeon is inspired by Brogue, and apparently similar to NetHack (wikipedia) and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (wikipedia). I haven't played Brogue or NetHack at all, and very little DCSS, so I don't know exactly how much is taken from them. But, PD has unlockables, classes with unique traits and equipment, scrolls, potions, rings, various weapon types, weapon enchantments, armor enchantments (glyphs), wands, food, status/elemental effects, varied enemies, bosses, varied tile types, etc. I'm sure I'm leaving some things out. All equippable items can be cursed and upgraded. All potions, scrolls, and equippable items start off unidentified, with a few exceptions. Have a thirst for the Amulet of Yendor? It's here.

If you have a question about PD, check the Pixel Dungeon wiki! It is basically required reading, though you don't need to start there. Most of the mechanics you can discover on your own, and you might enjoy it more that way. Play a few games until you realize you have a question about game mechanics and don't feel like experimenting to find the answer, then go check there to see if there's an answer.

Surprisingly, Pixel Dungeon is free. If you enjoy this game, you should donate to the author via the in-game purchase on the main screen. Doing so does not unlock anything, it is completely optional. The author has said he has no plans to monetize PD, though who knows whether that will change in the future.

Here are some starting tips, most are spoilered:
  • (Class Difficulty) Warrior is the easiest class, start with that.
  • (Leveling mechanics) A few early enemies are much easier if your character level matches the floor you're on. Not easy, but easier.
  • (Combat mechanics) Attacking enemies as they come through the door is a guaranteed hit, though the damage may still be 0.
  • (Crystal chests) You can see what's inside a chest by using the ? button.
  • (Locked doors and obvious traps) Any time there is a locked door or a room with piranhas or a lot of traps, there will be a key or a potion to help you deal with the traps somewhere else on that same level. Levitation potion for traps, invisibility potion for piranhas, fire potion for wooden barricades. Pay attention to what you pick up on each level.
  • (Identifying potions) Drop all your scrolls on a different tile, and then stand on a water tile and drink an unknown potion. If it's a fire potion, the fire will go out immediately and you will only suffer a few damage.
  • (Items on the first few levels) There will almost always be a potion of strength and/or a scroll of upgrade on the first or second floor, usually one of each.
  • (Identifying scrolls) The scroll of upgrade is the most common scroll, at least until you find enemies that drop scrolls. Then it changes to Identify. If you have several, and multiple of one, it is probably a scroll of upgrade.
  • (Upgrading enchanted items) Upgrading a weapon or armor past +2 has a chance to lose the enchantment. It becomes more risky for each additional level. Reforging your short sword avoids this risk; there is also a scroll that can avoid this for weapons. There is no other way around this.
  • (Identifying armor/weapons) If you have a weapon/piece of armor or questionable origin, try waiting until you find a scroll of identify or remove curse before equipping it. Or just throw it on! If an item is cursed it will immediately tell you. Cursed items are always -1. Uncursed items are never degraded. A red item square means it is cursed.
  • (Killing the first boss) Plant a seed of earthroot in water, and position Goo on land (water heals him). You will take no damage until the seed wears off. Alternatively, drag him to the stairs and when he starts his special attack, go upstairs. You can get an extra hit in on him before going upstairs, depending on your speed. When you come back down he will have stopped the special attack. Stairdancing was taken out. Lame.
  • (Staying alive after levels 1-5) You may find it much easier to survive by farming healing potions form the flies (6-9) and vampire bats (11-14). For flies, grab a couple healing potions from the shop on 6 if you can (he usually has two), pray to find some upgraded scale or plate armor, unequip your weapon, and punch them to death as they multiply. You can keep doing this through level 12. Bats are easier, just kill them normally.

There are so many more things I could list here that I won't. Discover the nuances for yourself!

Like this:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

"You noticed something."

Latest Patch!

As of 1.6, armor glyphs were added! They are mostly crap and/or situational though, except for one which can be overpowered as hell. Also, some quests were added and there's a new NPC in the cave (levels 11-15).

Glyphs

All of these occur randomly when struck by an enemy.

quote:

Bounce (white glowing)
Causes enemies to be randomly pushed back after hitting you.
Affection (pink glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that both the player and the enemy receive the status charmed.
Anti-entropy (pale blue glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance the player will be illuminated and catch fire, and the enemy will be frozen.
Multiplicity (beige glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a mirror image will appear. This effect causes damage to the player, and/or has a chance to kill the player. (resulting in a death by Multiplicity Glyph and award (or endorsement) of the badge - Death by Glyph)
Potential (blue glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a lightning-style blast will hit the enemy which attacked the player. This also damages the player, and is another way to obtain the 'Death by Glyph' badge.
Metabolism (red glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that the player will be partially healed, but the player also becomes hungry faster.

The amount healed by Metabolism seems to be based on enemy strength, NOT damage done (0 damage counts). This can be overpowered if you have good armor, you'll heal faster than you take damage, so you can basically ignore food so the hunger part doesn't matter.

Some people recommend just selling any styluses you come across. They net you 100 gold.

The rose/skull quest seems maybe a little buggy. Sometimes the enemy with the quest item will not show up for a very long time, or for long enough that you can't afford to keep looking for it.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
NPC quests:

If the ghost you meet on lower levels mentions a skull, try to exit the level sooner than later, unless you have a potion that lets you avoid smells. The rat oozes the gas the paralyzes you and runs twice as fast as you, and will usually kill you immediately. The rose quest is easy, and the reward is almost always worth it. Each enemy you meet following the ghost has a certain percent chance of dropping the rose.

The wizard NPC quest is worth it. You'll find a berry that originally poisons the room, which you'll then retrieve to obtain a battle or non-battle wand. Each will normally have 3 or 4 charges.

The goblin blacksmith quest has potential, but it currently sucks. "Dark Gold" refers to the gold embedded in the walls on that level, and you just travel around the level and use the pickaxe to grab 15 different pieces. The forging service that the goblin offers only works on two weapons or armors (I think both) that are both identified, and will increase the better item by +1. I've hit this guy multiple times and have never been in the position to make use of his skill, either because I didn't want to identify items, or didn't have a match to the best armor or weapon I was currently using.

There may be another, but I still haven't made it past level 20.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks for using my thread title suggestion! :)

Civil posted:

NPC quests:

The goblin blacksmith quest has potential, but it currently sucks. "Dark Gold" refers to the gold embedded in the walls on that level, and you just travel around the level and use the pickaxe to grab 15 different pieces. The forging service that the goblin offers only works on two weapons or armors (I think both) that are both identified, and will increase the better item by +1.

:eng101: Actually, it's a Troll blacksmith. He can reforge any two (identical) weapons, armors, wands, or rings. Kinda lovely at the moment as you say, since by the time you reach him you'll almost certainly have a good weapon and armor already (or else you wouldn't have made it there). I haven't actually had the chance to try a wand or ring forging yet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

precision posted:

Thanks for using my thread title suggestion! :)

:eng101: Actually, it's a Troll blacksmith. He can reforge any two (identical) weapons, armors, wands, or rings. Kinda lovely at the moment as you say, since by the time you reach him you'll almost certainly have a good weapon and armor already (or else you wouldn't have made it there). I haven't actually had the chance to try a wand or ring forging yet.
They don't have to be identical, just the same item. If you have a +4 plate and a +0 plate you'll get a +5 plate. It's totally worth doing if you have two of a good item. I've tried using the pickaxe on other things and it doesn't seem to do anything. You can mine more ore, but all it does is sell for 1g each.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

They don't have to be identical, just the same item. If you have a +4 plate and a +0 plate you'll get a +5 plate. It's totally worth doing if you have two of a good item. I've tried using the pickaxe on other things and it doesn't seem to do anything. You can mine more ore, but all it does is sell for 1g each.

Ohhhh, that does make things better, especially since there's always a suit of armor generated in the room with him.

I noticed in a game earlier today that there can be levels generated where a room is inaccessible because of chasms blocking your way to the door. A Potion of Levitation wasn't on the level either. Though it did teach me that you can use chasms to fall to the next floor, though it does a ton of damage (around 33 I believe when I did it).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

precision posted:

I noticed in a game earlier today that there can be levels generated where a room is inaccessible because of chasms blocking your way to the door. A Potion of Levitation wasn't on the level either. Though it did teach me that you can use chasms to fall to the next floor, though it does a ton of damage (around 33 I believe when I did it).
Did you search for a door? There should be a hidden door somewhere to get to that room. I've had a couple like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Did you search for a door? There should be a hidden door somewhere to get to that room. I've had a couple like that.

I spent like 20 minutes searching every space, yeah. It was doubly annoying because the room I couldn't get to was also the only place an Iron Key I needed was. It was in the 11-14 zone, and the room had doors on the North, South and East sides, with chasms blocking the way to the middle of the room to get to the East door.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

precision posted:

I spent like 20 minutes searching every space, yeah. It was doubly annoying because the room I couldn't get to was also the only place an Iron Key I needed was. It was in the 11-14 zone, and the room had doors on the North, South and East sides, with chasms blocking the way to the middle of the room to get to the East door.
Take a screenshot next time. The developer is good about making sure you can get to everything on the level without needing extra items, so you may have found a bug.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, one piece of conventional wisdom I disagree with: I would argue that Wizard is actually the easiest class, for one very important reason: a guaranteed Wand of Magic Missile means Wizards are the only class that can reliably, without fear, search gravestones and bones piles because Wraiths always only have 1 HP and wands never miss, whereas trying to melee Wraiths can be time consuming at best and fatal often. Since gravestones/bones piles are a reliable source of weapons/armor/items (rooms with a lone gravestone always have a suit of armor) and they're much more prevalent than they used to be (due to "graveyard" rooms and bones piles just plain never existing before 1.3) this is a very good thing, making the journey to Goo and beyond significantly easier.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

quote:

unequip your weapon, and punch them to death

Why unequip?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

precision posted:

Oh, one piece of conventional wisdom I disagree with: I would argue that Wizard is actually the easiest class, for one very important reason: a guaranteed Wand of Magic Missile means Wizards are the only class that can reliably, without fear, search gravestones and bones piles because Wraiths always only have 1 HP and wands never miss, whereas trying to melee Wraiths can be time consuming at best and fatal often. Since gravestones/bones piles are a reliable source of weapons/armor/items (rooms with a lone gravestone always have a suit of armor) and they're much more prevalent than they used to be (due to "graveyard" rooms and bones piles just plain never existing before 1.3) this is a very good thing, making the journey to Goo and beyond significantly easier.

Unless something changed you can guarantee a melee hit by luring your target to a door.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

unprofessional posted:

[/spoiler]
Why unequip?

You want to do as little damage as possible so that they split more often and thus drop more pots.

andrew smash posted:

Unless something changed you can guarantee a melee hit by luring your target to a door.

Oh, yeah, true, but it's much harder to do that with a group of Wraiths than wanding them, especially if you run into another enemy while trying to put a door between you and the next Wraith. You can only surprise one per door generally, so if you have four of them on your rear end, you can get stuck between them and something else and get whacked.

For single-Wraiths from a bones pile though, it's no big, yeah.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Game owns. Play this game

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

precision posted:

You want to do as little damage as possible so that they split more often and thus drop more pots.
Each time they split the chance of dropping a potion halves so you're not really gaining anything by doing this.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Each time they split the chance of dropping a potion halves so you're not really gaining anything by doing this.

Those are still chances you wouldn't have otherwise. If you have crap armor, you might want to use your weapon, or avoid them for the time being.

Before I learned about and gave in to fly farming, I had always been struggling with having enough health potions just to survive. Now, I usually end up with 15+ potions by the time I'm ready to fight the second boss. Probably way more than enough.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the littlest prince posted:

Those are still chances you wouldn't have otherwise. If you have crap armor, you might want to use your weapon, or avoid them for the time being.

Before I learned about and gave in to fly farming, I had always been struggling with having enough health potions just to survive. Now, I usually end up with 15+ potions by the time I'm ready to fight the second boss. Probably way more than enough.
You get more chances, but each chance is smaller. I was wrong about the numbers earlier (the chance is 1/[generation * 5]), so there's a slight advantage to splitting them as much as possible.

I beat the game last night without doing any farming and I still had 12 healing potions left over. Having decent equipment and knowing when to use your consumables matters a lot more.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Good OP, but you should include some screenshots! Pixel Dungeon's graphics and interface are important advantages over other roguelikes, I think.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Good OP, but you should include some screenshots! Pixel Dungeon's graphics and interface are important advantages over other roguelikes, I think.
"You noticed something."

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

"You noticed something."

That's Pixel Dungeon summarised in an image.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I like this game but something about playing on my tablet doesnt put me in the proper roguelike frame of mind so I end up being way too careless. Needless to say I haven't made it too far yet because of this. Thanks for the OP though, nice work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm going to email Watabou yet again begging him to add in the ability to have more than one quickslot. It's driving me insane that he hasn't done that. Having to go to Inventory every time I want to zap a different wand than what I have equipped adds no strategy or depth, just busywork. :mad:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

vulturesrow posted:

I like this game but something about playing on my tablet doesnt put me in the proper roguelike frame of mind so I end up being way too careless. Needless to say I haven't made it too far yet because of this. Thanks for the OP though, nice work.

I find playing on my phone a lot better than the tablet. Maybe its the size of the screen but I feel like I do a lot better on a smaller screen

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I made it to the Demon Halls last night as a warrior. That was awesome. So now I'm trying my hand as a wizard, but crabs are destroying my poo poo every time I run into them. Any tips?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lowness 72 posted:

I made it to the Demon Halls last night as a warrior. That was awesome. So now I'm trying my hand as a wizard, but crabs are destroying my poo poo every time I run into them. Any tips?

The biggest tip I found early game is the equip the best armor you find regardless of strength whenever you enter combat. The armor penalty applies whenever you move, so it you are standing still trading melee blows with an enemy you don't have any penalty, only the benefit of increased armor. Of course you waste a couple turns putting it on but if you keep an eye out for an enemy, put on the armor and then wait a couple turns you can typically fight every enemy with minimal damage. With this strategy if you get a plate armor before floor four you can easily deal with crabs and Goo. Also you can use your upgrade scrolls on the plate armor asap instead of wasting them since you normally don't want to use them on an armor you cant wear yet.

The above should be in the OP. Its a sure strategy for early game.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

"You noticed something."

You noticed that your game is over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The biggest tip I found early game is the equip the best armor you find regardless of strength whenever you enter combat. The armor penalty applies whenever you move, so it you are standing still trading melee blows with an enemy you don't have any penalty, only the benefit of increased armor.

Are you sure? Because I'm 99% certain that monsters get more attacks against you when you have heavy armor equipped. Actually I'm 100% sure of it. But, as you say, it's almost always worth the tradeoff, especially with Scale/Plate armor.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ok another question. Should I be using upgrade scrolls on wands? My magic missile wand sucks poo poo against crabs. Is that a way to make it better?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

precision posted:

Are you sure? Because I'm 99% certain that monsters get more attacks against you when you have heavy armor equipped. Actually I'm 100% sure of it. But, as you say, it's almost always worth the tradeoff, especially with Scale/Plate armor.

They do if you move but attacks don't get an energy penalty from armor

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You noticed that your game is over.
That was several months ago before classes were added. Everyone kept telling me that beating the Goo was easy and I kept running into poo poo like that. I think when I saw that room I set my tablet down and threw my hands up in the air.

On a more positive note, I beat the game last night with a level 30 warlock and again tonight with a level 26 Freerunner.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Nope. They absolutely do not get more attacks if you are encumbered by armor.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
Indeed. It's just that putting on armor in front of an enemy takes several turns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenin posted:

Indeed. It's just that putting on armor in front of an enemy takes several turns.

I guess that's what was confusing me. It seems odd, but means the game isn't nearly as unforgiving as I thought.

One thing I've noticed too is that the chance of finding rings is pretty low compared to everything else, most games it takes me quite a while to even find a single ring.

I'm also not really convinced there's any point in playing Berserker. Assassin also doesn't seem balanced to be as powerful as Freerunner. Battlemage and Warlock are both very useful, though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I guess that's what was confusing me. It seems odd, but means the game isn't nearly as unforgiving as I thought.

One thing I've noticed too is that the chance of finding rings is pretty low compared to everything else, most games it takes me quite a while to even find a single ring.

I'm also not really convinced there's any point in playing Berserker. Assassin also doesn't seem balanced to be as powerful as Freerunner. Battlemage and Warlock are both very useful, though.

Assassin is much more useful than Freerunner, especially if you upgrade your ring of shadows. You can sneak up on most anything, and if you kite an enemy through a closed door the first hit (when they are in the doorway) always counts as a surprise, giving the damage bonus plus 100% hit rate.

Freerunner is only useful if you aren't hungry and are running away a lot. 1) You will be hungry almost all the time and it hardly matters if you lose a few HP from it, and 2) you won't be running away from many fights. The benefits you get for increased attacking aren't that good compared to the critical strike bonus of the Assassin. Maybe if you have the mace or the knuckle duster you can attack twice per turn, but they knuckle duster already does that.

I found a useful strategy in leveling up a knuckle duster. By the end of the game as a barbarian I had an enchanted flaming knuckle duster +12. I was dishing out decent damage twice to the enemies one, and lighting them on fire. It seems that if you get a super buffed duster, it's better than a high level weapon because you get two hits. Atleast in that game I didn't run across anything good until really late in the game so the duster was pretty effective.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahhh, I thought Freerunner got the speed bonus as long as you're not Starving, that would explain why it seemed to be inconsistent.

And yeah, I won a game as a Warlock the other day just using a Blazing Knuckleduster the whole game with highly enchanted wands of Disintegrate/Lightning/Fire. "Fast" weapons are the best.

What's the best trick for beating the third boss? It seems like I just get lucky or get smashed, no real middle ground.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Ahhh, I thought Freerunner got the speed bonus as long as you're not Starving, that would explain why it seemed to be inconsistent.

And yeah, I won a game as a Warlock the other day just using a Blazing Knuckleduster the whole game with highly enchanted wands of Disintegrate/Lightning/Fire. "Fast" weapons are the best.

What's the best trick for beating the third boss? It seems like I just get lucky or get smashed, no real middle ground.

The third boss is DM300, right? He's imune to poison, but not to paralysis or fire. I typically just through a potion of paralysis or frost at him and plink away with wands or fire potions. As always, earthroot is your friend. If you throw it on the ground and then step on it, it gives you a big armor buff as long as you don't move. If you have a potion of purity you can through it and clear out his gas cloud and just rail on him.

He'll take a few potions of healing to survive, but if you keep him paralyzed and work him from a distance he's softened up enough so you can run in and kill him in melee combat. I've never lost to him, typically by the time I beat Tengu I have a powerful equipment set and plenty of potions to waste on him.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The trick to the robot is to control his movement. You can melee him and never take damage from his cloud. Also don't let him step on the dead traps, they heal him.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

andrew smash posted:

The trick to the robot is to control his movement. You can melee him and never take damage from his cloud. Also don't let him step on the dead traps, they heal him.

Doesn't his cloud sort of lag behind him?

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Doesn't his cloud sort of lag behind him?

DM-300's cloud acts much like Fetid Rat's, spreading out in a cross pattern originating from the space they're in. This means you can attack from a diagonal space, and then move diagonally away before the cloud engulfs you each turn.

The problem comes in when the boss' random avalanche attack decides to hit the space you're in, paralyzing you and causing you to suck poison and eat fist. That and keeping up a tactic of constant mobility increases the likelihood that you'll eventually drag him over a healing tile, undoing a lot of your hard work. All in all I prefer to just throw down an earthroot seed and tank through the inevitable avalanche downtimes.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
This game is probably the most fun I've had repeately dying since Rogue Legacy. I really can't believe this is free.

So how much of my game is based on luck and how much is based on good decissions?

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

"You noticed something."

Added this and some stock screenshots to the OP. They're a little bit out of date I think, but not in a way that matters.

Philosopher King posted:

This game is probably the most fun I've had repeately dying since Rogue Legacy. I really can't believe this is free.

So how much of my game is based on luck and how much is based on good decissions?

Impossible to say, but usually if you can get past level 5 the game is probably winnable. This is coming from someone who hasn't actually beaten it yet despite hoarding healing potions, mostly due to my inability to pay attention to my health bar.

There were some stats somewhere that said with the Warrior, one out of ~10 games is winnable, and something like 20/30/40 for the other classes. I forget and don't know where I saw that. Probably somewhere on the PD wiki.

• Locked thread