Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I feel like I'm seeing a lot more rats on the early floors since the last update. Haven't made it past Goo in this version yet, so I'm not sure if the higher density will continue lower down.

Rooted, with +1 plate I almost managed to beat Goo with the knuckleduster. He critically hit me with only a sliver of health left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been seeing more Crabs, and earlier, which sucks badly.

As a general rule I think Goo and DM300 are too much "brick wall" bosses. Goo requires a certain amount of luck that's a bit too high for how early you have to fight him, and DM300 is just straight up loving hard.

I think Tengu is about right, maybe a little too easy.

I'm also just not plain sure what I think about mid bosses in a roguelike at all. I like the NetHack/ADoM/ToME approach where you can beef up and come back to them.

It'd be cool if there were like, optional quest areas to get some more drops between bosses.

Oh and one more thing. gently caress the Fetid Rat. The ghost should give you the option of declining the quest, unless there's some way to tell which quest he'll give you before talking to him.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

precision posted:

Oh and one more thing. gently caress the Fetid Rat. The ghost should give you the option of declining the quest, unless there's some way to tell which quest he'll give you before talking to him.

The fetid rat used to waste me every time until I started doing a hit, step back, hit, step back move. If you have the room, that is. If you toe-to-toe with him, he'll paralyze and kill you.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Civil posted:

The fetid rat used to waste me every time until I started doing a hit, step back, hit, step back move. If you have the room, that is. If you toe-to-toe with him, he'll paralyze and kill you.

Don't attack from a cardinal direction, attack from an angle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I the only person that keeps loving forgetting I can zoom out/in? I waste so much time scrolling around.

Am I also correct that the "room literally full of traps with no treasure or guaranteed way through" doesn't spawn any specific item to "pass" it? I keep seeing those rooms, but never get a !oLevitation on the same floor.

Smee
Sep 24, 2004
Did this whole "the dungeon is more dangerous at night" thing start with the latest patch? Seems to be based on your current timezone, and there's definitely increased spawns (second room of the second floor when I started playing last night was full of 4 gnoll scouts who promptly made a casserole of my face)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Smee posted:

Did this whole "the dungeon is more dangerous at night" thing start with the latest patch? Seems to be based on your current timezone, and there's definitely increased spawns (second room of the second floor when I started playing last night was full of 4 gnoll scouts who promptly made a casserole of my face)

It's a couple updates old, but now it's balanced so that there are more mobs but also more loot. Honestly the better loot + more XP from more monsters kind of makes it easier if you ask me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

precision posted:

Am I the only person that keeps loving forgetting I can zoom out/in? I waste so much time scrolling around.

Am I also correct that the "room literally full of traps with no treasure or guaranteed way through" doesn't spawn any specific item to "pass" it? I keep seeing those rooms, but never get a !oLevitation on the same floor.

just throw darts to trigger the traps

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frogmanv2 posted:

just throw darts to trigger the traps

Well yeah, but I usually run out of projectiles very quickly and sometimes don't find any new ones. Just seems weird that it's the only "dangerous special room" without a guaranteed drop.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

precision posted:

Well yeah, but I usually run out of projectiles very quickly and sometimes don't find any new ones. Just seems weird that it's the only "dangerous special room" without a guaranteed drop.
You mean the rooms with lots of fire traps? You're correct, there is no related item. You can throw pretty much anything except potions and scrolls to set them off. Well, you could probably throw scrolls and maybe potions but both of those would be dumb options.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Follow-up: there are far more monsters now. Makes me think that I'm playing in nighttime mode all the time.

I also have found far more loot than usual, which is another confirmation.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

As a general rule I think Goo and DM300 are too much "brick wall" bosses. Goo requires a certain amount of luck that's a bit too high for how early you have to fight him, and DM300 is just straight up loving hard.

I'm also just not plain sure what I think about mid bosses in a roguelike at all. I like the NetHack/ADoM/ToME approach where you can beef up and come back to them.

It'd be cool if there were like, optional quest areas to get some more drops between bosses.

I have never lost to DM300. If I get to Goo, I almost always beat him. Change up your tactics a little.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Today, I started only two new games. I obtained the amulet both times.

It's the Dew Jar. It completely eliminates instances of outlier fatal misfortune and re-centers the average descent to like ten depths lower. If it were the unique equipment for a hero with no other class abilities, that hero would be hands down the strongest class in the game.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

precision posted:

It's a couple updates old, but now it's balanced so that there are more mobs but also more loot. Honestly the better loot + more XP from more monsters kind of makes it easier if you ask me.

Anyone know exactly how it works? Maybe it just turns on during certain hours of your phone clock?

I seem to be getting this almost all the time, even in the middle of the day. My system clock isn't jacked or anything, so I'm curious if anyone has figured out the rules.

Eikre posted:

Today, I started only two new games. I obtained the amulet both times.

It's the Dew Jar. It completely eliminates instances of outlier fatal misfortune and re-centers the average descent to like ten depths lower. If it were the unique equipment for a hero with no other class abilities, that hero would be hands down the strongest class in the game.

The Dew Jar is definitely helpful, but I haven't been able to get that degree of use out of it. Any tips? Do you have a good method for filling it up? I seem to pick up dew when I'm not at full health most of the time simply because being at full health is a rare luxury in this game.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

precision posted:

Goo can be completely cheesed by luring him to the stairs to the previous floor. Just stand on the stair tile and hit him, when he starts pumping himself up go up and down and he'll be back to normal. Makes him completely trivial.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

brother-joseph posted:

Anyone know exactly how it works? Maybe it just turns on during certain hours of your phone clock?

I seem to be getting this almost all the time, even in the middle of the day. My system clock isn't jacked or anything, so I'm curious if anyone has figured out the rules.

The Dew Jar is definitely helpful, but I haven't been able to get that degree of use out of it. Any tips? Do you have a good method for filling it up? I seem to pick up dew when I'm not at full health most of the time simply because being at full health is a rare luxury in this game.

Don't use any dew drops to heal at all until your jar is full. When you find dew, evaluate your health and position in the dungeon and decide if it's efficient to rest (by holding down the skip-turn button) until your health is full and you can collect it. If you encounter a drop before you have the jar, or your health is too low to make resting worth it, then just leave it there. If you see sungrass in a garden, or a healing well, you should leave those unused, too.

Once you clear a level that has dew drops left on it, heal yourself to full (using dungeon features if you can, but otherwise by discharging a sungrass seed from you inventory, possibly by eating food if you're a warrior, or even by just going to the safest place/up a flight of stairs to rest) and then return to gather them all. Play during the daytime to reduce the stream of monsters. If you take a hit or two, you can rest it away.

Obviously, use your judgement. Sometimes you'll have a food deficiency and be forced to press onward to find sustenance. You can use dewdrops to heal if you think you're going to be really far away by the time you would stand a chance of collecting them. You just really want to fill the jar super early, when you have made less of a time investment in the run, and a death due to over-extension is comparatively much less irritating.

The thing about it is that it's like an ankh that leaves your position in the dungeon intact and doesn't rob your entire inventory when it goes off. You use it as insurance against sucker-punches and your own misjudgement on the lower floors, where you generally have plenty of health potions and thus enough supplies to make it to the end of the game, and where the biggest danger is the one time you neglect to use one. It's usually a once-per-game thing to actually use it, for me. But that's still huge.

EDIT: Just won my third game in a row, this time as a Huntress. I have stopped losing.

EDIT X2: For my hubris, the rogue I started right after (to complete the set) was struck down by Goo, after five levels of getting gently caress-all for equipment.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 1, 2014

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Eikre posted:

It's usually a once-per-game thing to actually use it, for me. But that's still huge.

Thanks, that's good advice. I will give it a try.

I've done pretty well with the Warrior, but that's the only class I've won with so I'm looking for all the edge I can get. Trying the wizard now.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Eikre posted:

EDIT: Just won my third game in a row, this time as a Huntress. I have stopped losing.
Are you using any exploits? Wand of regrowth or fly/healing potion farming?

I've just got my "100 games played (lost)" trophy, and haven't beat this game since it was 15 levels deep.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Just accidentally froze some mystery meat and got "Frozen carpaccio" which seems to work like chargrilled steak.

e: Seems to give random buffs and it healed me as well. Sweet!

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 1, 2014

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Civil posted:

Are you using any exploits? Wand of regrowth or fly/healing potion farming?

I've just got my "100 games played (lost)" trophy, and haven't beat this game since it was 15 levels deep.

None of that boring poo poo. But I do have one technique that I never see anybody talk about : you can work around the trajectory/cover mechanics to hit creatures behind corners by aiming at squares behind them. So my huntress game is pretty raw.

Finished two rogue runs today and last night to make up for breaking my streak. I think he's my least consistent class, because he doesn't have the same survivability in the upper depths like the other three classes do.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Just accidentally froze some mystery meat and got "Frozen carpaccio" which seems to work like chargrilled steak.

e: Seems to give random buffs and it healed me as well. Sweet!

This owns, I am trying this out right away.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Made it to the dwarf city for the first time and it's a hell of a step up in difficulty. I had about 4 healing potions left after beating DM300 and used them all one a single floor. gently caress those dwarf monks. Also got all that way and never found plate armor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Finally beat it with the Huntress. The trick is to play during the day, I didn't have any trouble at all. Wands of avalanche and blink don't hurt, either.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I don't understand how anyone dies to Goo unless you just don't find a single earthroot seed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ezzer posted:

I don't understand how anyone dies to Goo unless you just don't find a single earthroot seed.
That's happened to me before, also the seed can only stop so much damage so if you get really unlucky it will run out before you can kill the Goo. Then you start drinking unidentified potions and the one you had 3 of is actually a poison gas potion and then the one you had two of is levitation and your last potion is liquid flame and you leave a floating flaming corpse in the middle of a poison cloud.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ezzer posted:

Unless I'm playing Huntress, I have a lot of games where I don't find an Earthroot or Plate Armor.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

That's happened to me before, also the seed can only stop so much damage so if you get really unlucky it will run out before you can kill the Goo. Then you start drinking unidentified potions and the one you had 3 of is actually a poison gas potion and then the one you had two of is levitation and your last potion is liquid flame and you leave a floating flaming corpse in the middle of a poison cloud.

If you don't drink unidentified potions, how do you ever identify them all?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

uXs posted:

If you don't drink unidentified potions, how do you ever identify them all?
Process of elimination. You'll always have 2 strength potions before the Goo. Sometimes you'll get lucky with invisibility/flame/levitation and only get one of those on a level. If there's a potion in a trap/piranha room it's always strength (and scrolls are always upgrade.) I always use identify scrolls on potions first. Flies always drop healing potions. The first shop has two healing potions. The rest aren't too important but I try to avoid drinking them so as not to burn experience potions early. Once you have experience, strength and healing identified, you can drink the rest if you have a safe spot to test.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Whats the best way to deal with the piranha room? They always seem to kick my rear end.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Chin Strap posted:

Whats the best way to deal with the piranha room? They always seem to kick my rear end.

Become invisible. There's always an invisibility potion on the same level.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

If there's a potion in a trap/piranha room it's always strength (and scrolls are always upgrade.)

Nope. Invisibility, liquid flame, and levitation can all appear in trap/piranna rooms, if they are the guaranteed drops for other rooms on that floor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Eikre posted:

Nope. Invisibility, liquid flame, and levitation can all appear in trap/piranna rooms, if they are the guaranteed drops for other rooms on that floor.
Strange, it's been strength every time for me.

e:

Chin Strap posted:

If you're the Huntress, kill them with your boomerang. They always drop mystery meat. Otherwise, use the invisibility potion as mentioned.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Strange, it's been strength every time for me.

e:

If you're the Huntress, kill them with your boomerang. They always drop mystery meat. Otherwise, use the invisibility potion as mentioned.

Just to elaborate, you can throw something in the door way to block it open (or burn it down) and then peg them with the boomerang. It's handy that they drop mystery meat 100% of the time too.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It's also a pain in the rear end if they're hidden around a corner (which is most of the time) because they won't move at all if there's no path to get to you. You can try the 'aim at another block to hit an enemy around a corner' trick but it won't necessarily work and you might lose your boomerang and not be able to safely retrieve it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

If you have a wand of teleport you can also zap them out of there. It used to be that if they were teleported to land they would be stuck on that spot and could still bite you but now it appears to kill them instantly and they'll leave meat wherever they were teleported to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Mystery Meat really provide enough nutrition to take the time to kill them?

That said, holy poo poo why did I never think of doing that with the Huntress.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

precision posted:

Does Mystery Meat really provide enough nutrition to take the time to kill them?

That said, holy poo poo why did I never think of doing that with the Huntress.

Each mystery meat is one half of what a ration of pasty provides, but long term I think the extra 1.5 ration is worth the 10-15 turns it takes to kill them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've started playing this on my commute, is there any way to heal early on besides dew and food, unless you luck out with a potion, or are you not really supposed to get 10 dew in the container all that quickly? I've only gotten to level three so far so I'm not too far in (a crab parried me one time too many).

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
You'll probably fill it up between level 10 and 15. There are monsters that drop healing potions starting on level. 6, so you're much more likely to have full health later on.

Play carefully, choose your fights, don't advance on monsters, don't waste food, get lucky.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
So I started out my first game with Assassin and I've got a really good weapon and ring (I deal up to 26 a surprise hit on depth 3.and a ring of evasion +2) and leather armor. What should be the main use of my Upgrade Scrolls? I'm still new to this and I hate to waste runs because I'm stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inudeku posted:

So I started out my first game with Assassin and I've got a really good weapon and ring (I deal up to 26 a surprise hit on depth 3.and a ring of evasion +2) and leather armor. What should be the main use of my Upgrade Scrolls? I'm still new to this and I hate to waste runs because I'm stupid.

You need better armor. Save them until you get a plate armor and then dump them all in. What weapon to you have?

If you are going to stock pile upgrade scrolls, make sure you leave them on the ground when you explore a level. Don't keep them on you because they could get burned up.

EDIT: Actually, the evasion ring is very powerful. IFrom reading the pixel dungeon wiki, if you can get it to +6, it look like you'd be nearly unstoppable.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 4, 2014

• Locked thread