Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You need better armor. Save them until you get a plate armor and then dump them all in. What weapon to you have?

If you are going to stock pile upgrade scrolls, make sure you leave them on the ground when you explore a level. Don't keep them on you because they could get burned up.

I had a scale armor and didn't even realize it.

The weapon is a Sword+3 from the ghost. I wasn't sure if upgrading my ring over armor would be more beneficial or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Inudeku posted:

The weapon is a Sword+3 from the ghost. I wasn't sure if upgrading my ring over armor would be more beneficial or not
Upgrade your ring of evasion and when you have a decent amount of HP switch to armor with a low strength requirement (this also increases your dodge chance) and you'll be nearly untouchable.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I just won a game with a vampiric +2 sword (the 14 str tier one) a ring of accuracy +2 and a ring of evasion +4. I got a good final boss spawn and the fists couldn't get near me and didn't take any damage at all. The vampiric sword dropped on floor 3 or 4 and completely carried me until the king of dwarves zone where it was starting to feel a bit underpowered. The ring quest gave me the evasion ring and I was practically invincible after that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inudeku posted:

Doctor Butts is right. The ring of evasion is a legendary find. I'd save a scroll of upgrade for a well of transmutation, since you can then enchant your sword.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I appreciate the advice! I died anyways to a piranha because I wasn't paying attention.

Is there a certain point when upgrading your armor that you start getting diminishing returns? Or would having like, say, a ring of evasion +7 be worth it over say, a +5?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Inudeku posted:

I appreciate the advice! I died anyways to a piranha because I wasn't paying attention.

Is there a certain point when upgrading your armor that you start getting diminishing returns? Or would having like, say, a ring of evasion +7 be worth it over say, a +5?
The bonus on armor is linear and the bonus on the ring is exponential.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Is there a difference between damage numbers that are printed in orange and red?

Also vampiric weapons are ridiculous. Walked into the final boss room with 28 healing potions. Left with 28 healing potions. I only ever ate 8 pieces of food the entire game and had 20 in my pack. (The +7 plate mail and +2 ring of evasion helped.)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'd save a scroll of upgrade for a well of transmutation, since you can then enchant your sword.

Don't do this. Wells of transmutation are at least an order of magnitude more rare than scrolls of upgrade, which you're guaranteed to find in a level or two. Meanwhile, you might go an entire game without seeing a well of transmutation.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe there's some super secret I'm missing but every single game of this I've played I always run out of food and end up starving to death before I can even reach the first boss. I'm not even spending time resting to heal.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Requested_Username posted:

Maybe there's some super secret I'm missing but every single game of this I've played I always run out of food and end up starving to death before I can even reach the first boss. I'm not even spending time resting to heal.
Don't eat until you're starving, and even then you don't necessarily need to unless you won't be able to heal yourself in other ways (potions, dewdrops, seeds, fountains). You get one food per floor and that's about what you should be eating. If you can save up more, do it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Requested_Username posted:

Remember there's no actual food clock, you just lose health. So there are non-food ways to mitigate that countdown.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

andrew smash posted:

Remember there's no actual food clock, you just lose health. So there are non-food ways to mitigate that countdown.

You'll spend most of the game starving. Once you have a lot of HP it hardly matters anyways.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm thinking of recording and annotating one of my runs, as a sort of example of a successful play-style. I was thinking I would use one of the harder classes, either Huntress or Rogue, and maybe I could refrain from reading the Tome of Mastery until I beat the Tengu and earn it (which something I've been doing, recently). But maybe it would be better to record a fast-burn game where all the Upgrade scrolls get spent on chainmail and swords, to facilitate an easy Tengu run, and then a subsequent Tome of Mastery start, to show off early game use of Assassin or whatever?

I'm just sort of looking for something new to do with the game until the next patch. This game is great and still holds my attention, but it isn't that challenging anymore.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Eikre posted:

I'm thinking of recording and annotating one of my runs, as a sort of example of a successful play-style. I was thinking I would use one of the harder classes, either Huntress or Rogue, and maybe I could refrain from reading the Tome of Mastery until I beat the Tengu and earn it (which something I've been doing, recently). But maybe it would be better to record a fast-burn game where all the Upgrade scrolls get spent on chainmail and swords, to facilitate an easy Tengu run, and then a subsequent Tome of Mastery start, to show off early game use of Assassin or whatever?

I'm just sort of looking for something new to do with the game until the next patch. This game is great and still holds my attention, but it isn't that challenging anymore.

You could try challenge runs, like no potions of strength, but I think the game is far too difficult for that.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been having a blast with the game but am having a hell of a time figuring things out.

Few Questions:

1. Scrolls: The names are no way tied to their effects correct? As in a Loraz scroll could be an identify scroll one game, then an upgrade the next?
2. Stench? I get armors with this but have no idea what it does.
3. What sort of gear is worth upgrading? I found a spear of burning +5 last night that was tearing poo poo up so I upgraded that sucker.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

m.hache posted:

Been having a blast with the game but am having a hell of a time figuring things out.

Few Questions:

1. Scrolls: The names are no way tied to their effects correct? As in a Loraz scroll could be an identify scroll one game, then an upgrade the next?
2. Stench? I get armors with this but have no idea what it does.
3. What sort of gear is worth upgrading? I found a spear of burning +5 last night that was tearing poo poo up so I upgraded that sucker.
1. Yup, that's a standard of roguelikes.
2. Sometimes stench armor releases toxic gas when you are struck. This hurts both you and nearby enemies.
3. Rings of evasion/haste, plate/scale armor, war hammers/glaives/battle axes/knuckledusters, wands of firebolt. Sometimes other stuff is worth upgrading, but it's usually best to save it for the higher level items. It's worth upgrading the warrior's starting sword and the mage's starting wand as a single upgrade point can be transfered from them to another weapon/wand.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

2. Sometimes stench armor releases toxic gas when you are struck. This hurts both you and nearby enemies.
3. Rings of evasion/haste, plate/scale armor, war hammers/glaives/battle axes/knuckledusters, wands of firebolt. Sometimes other stuff is worth upgrading, but it's usually best to save it for the higher level items. It's worth upgrading the warrior's starting sword and the mage's starting wand as a single upgrade point can be transfered from them to another weapon/wand.

Also note that if you upgrade an enchanted weapon there's a chance you can lose the enchantment. There's a formula but I believe that once a weapon is upgraded to a level the same number as it's tier you then have a chance to loose the enchantment. Example:

Sword is a tier 3 weapon.
A stunning sword is also tier 3 weapon.
When you upgade the stunning sword to +1 it's ok. Same for +2 and +3.
Once it's upgrade level matches it's tier (in this case 3) then each upgrade has a change to remove the enchantment.

HOWEVER if the upgrade comes from the mage's wand or the warriors short sword, there is no risk of losing the enchantment. So it's always worth either keeping the sword or upgrading it asap.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks!

I also thought of another question. The cauldrons you run into, is it worth dropping seeds into them to make potions? I usually just skip over them as I find the seeds themselves more useful.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

m.hache posted:

Thanks!

I also thought of another question. The cauldrons you run into, is it worth dropping seeds into them to make potions? I usually just skip over them as I find the seeds themselves more useful.
The only seeds I ever use are the brown, green and orange ones. I throw the rest in. It's also a good way to kind of identify potions. For example, if you throw in three blue seeds there's a 75% chance of getting a potion of frost. Any potion you get from alchemy is a non-important one so you can drink it right away to identify it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Doctor Butts is right. The ring of evasion is a legendary find. I'd save a scroll of upgrade for a well of transmutation, since you can then enchant your sword.

I just got killed on floor 7 with two +2 rings of evasion. I'd never found one before and then I found two. The previous game I died on floor 13 with +6 plate armor. This loving game. Time to start again!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nexus6 posted:

I just got killed on floor 7 with two +2 rings of evasion. I'd never found one before and then I found two. The previous game I died on floor 13 with +6 plate armor. This loving game. Time to start again!

Lol. How did you die? Plate mail +6 makes you extremely powerful. Especially only on floor 13.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Lol. How did you die? Plate mail +6 makes you extremely powerful. Especially only on floor 13.

Man, I had scale mail +5 and it was great... until I inscribed it and it got the affection glyph. That thing is so horrible. I kept getting pacified and wouldn't be able to attack poo poo. I had to start funneling monsters through doorways so I could actually get an attack off. I ended up dying on floor 13 after getting locked in place by a spider web and charmed 100 times.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

m.hache posted:

Man, I had scale mail +5 and it was great... until I inscribed it and it got the affection glyph. That thing is so horrible. I kept getting pacified and wouldn't be able to attack poo poo. I had to start funneling monsters through doorways so I could actually get an attack off. I ended up dying on floor 13 after getting locked in place by a spider web and charmed 100 times.
I don't usually inscribe anything until I get the armor kit, since you can use that if you run through all of your stylii and don't get a good glyph. You could do the same thing with a scroll of upgrade.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Well I thought so too, but some gnoll brutes got me surrounded.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Was trying to forge a better scale and the one I equipped was cursed. The one it replaced? A +8.way to waste a run. I also had evasion rings of +5 and +3.:-(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Inudeku posted:

Was trying to forge a better scale and the one I equipped was cursed. The one it replaced? A +8.way to waste a run. I also had evasion rings of +5 and +3.:-(
You didn't have any scrolls of remove curse? You can usually buy them at the store. Don't try on any unknown equipment unless you have one.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You could try challenge runs, like no potions of strength, but I think the game is far too difficult for that.

I usually don't find those to be as fun as a run that cleaves closer to the expectations of the designer. Iron Man Diablo being an exception.

The only seeds I ever use are the brown, green and orange ones. I throw the rest in. It's also a good way to kind of identify potions. For example, if you throw in three blue seeds there's a 75% chance of getting a potion of frost. Any potion you get from alchemy is a non-important one so you can drink it right away to identify it.

66%. It would be 75% if you brewed four seeds.

Blindweed is my favorite brewing candidate. It boils into potions of invisibility, which have one of the most versatile effects in the game. The seeds themselves cause blindness, which can be used to gain some distance between you and an enemy, but only if you are already standing two spaces apart and have room to maneuver. Thing is, I tend to play at night, where too much deliberation just leads to more monsters. I prefer fadeleaf for a "get the gently caress away from me!" trap.

Rotberry, which the wand maker sends you for sometimes, is associated with pitons of strength. That means you can get a 2/9 chance of brewing one, since you need to use two other seeds. I don't think it's usually worth it, but I also feel unsatisfied with the prize the wandmaker gives, so idk.

Every potion brewed has a small chance of being random, which means you can luck into potions of EXP. That alone compels me to brew them.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

You didn't have any scrolls of remove curse? You can usually buy them at the store. Don't try on any unknown equipment unless you have one.

I didn't have enough health potions to travel back to the shop safely. Lesson still learned, though. I probably wouldn't have won anyways but it was my best equipped run to date.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, how long has the Ring of Haggling existed? :stare:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
For the last few versions at least. I've only had it once because I can't be bothered grinding the bandits.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Grinding skeletons for equipment to sell will probably let you buy out everything useful in the shop faster than trying to get the ring, anyway.

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
I've been semi-addicted to this game for a long while now, had more than 200+ games played and beaten the last boss 4 times so far. I want to share some tips, spoiler of course.

By the way, on the latest update did the last pixel mart at level 21 get removed?

-Thief Assassin is the easiest class to beat the game with overall. Yes warrior gets +1 strength and good early weapon, but once past level 5 those don't matter much while assassin's ability to do 100% crit by pulling enemies into doors is useful through the whole game.
-Stand on a sungrass plant and wait and you will heal forever, faster than hunger damage. If you want to grind, I suggest you grind using a sungrass to grind on level 11 because there are no ranged enemies here except the rare shaman, and mobs here all drop useful stuff. Bats drop health potion, brutes drop gold, spiders drop mystery meat. However I have never needed grinding to beat the game.
-To beat Boo semi-easily, even with poo poo weapon/armor, you just need a seed of firebloom and a seed of earthroot. Plant the earthroot right before the door, go into the door, plant the firebloom seed and aggro Boo with a ranged attack from the door, when he's on you, move back into your earthroot for the herbal armor buff. Boo will walk into the door tile and start burning. You want to just stand your ground and engage him here in melee. Burning at a door tile burns forever so hopefully you can outlast Boo as he takes burning damage every turn. This same tactic works with the machine boss as well although you can't burn him forever since there is no door on his level.
-Generally level 1-5 your priority is to get a good weapon, but by level 6 you want to start thinking about getting a decent set of armor because the level 10 boss does pretty good damage and you will die really fast without good armor.
-Any armor with about 30 damage reduction should be enough to last you through the whole game, you should use all your other upgrade scrolls on your weapon. Enemies in the later levels does so much damage and gives such annoying status effect that upgrading your armor is not as good as just having a really good weapon that you can use to quickly kill the enemy with.
-If you can, try to save your upgrade scrolls for when you find a weapon/armor that you know can last you for the rest of the game. You don't want to be upgrading a dagger or a leather armor for example. A splint mail or a battle axe on the other hand is not a bad choice to carry into the late game, especially if they come with +1 or +2 to start.
-Akhn is useless, because if you lose your stock pile of health potions you must grind to build it back up, and often times that's impossible to do. By the time you get to the dwarven city and especially the demon halls, you have to burn a healing potion or two per level just to stay alive. And if you don't have around 10 health potions along with some good weapon and armor it's impossible to beat the final boss.
-Save up 3 scrolls of magic finding by the time you reach the demon halls because there are only 3 levels here. You might also want to have a few torches for level 23 and definitely 24 because of the darkness.
-The scroll holder is a must have item. It let's you safely keep your scrolls even when you are burning, so you can confidently explore the levels without having to worry about your stuff burning up.
-Don't obsess about leveling up, a level or 2 won't help that much. It's much better to save up those precious health potions.
-The imp quest that have you collect 6 golem tokens seem pretty useless, as the item you get is always cursed. And golems does mega damage.

MegaCharger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 6, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

MegaCharger posted:

-Don't obsess about leveling up, a level or 2 won't help that much. It's much better to save up those precious health potions.
-The imp quest that have you collect 6 golem tokens seem pretty useless, as the item you get is always cursed. And golems does mega damage.
These are both wrong. Leveling up will make you miss less and get hit less. The best time to do it is on the last floor before a boss, as you shouldn't have trouble killing the enemies at that point. The last quest is totally worth it. The ring you get is always cursed, but it's always got a positive enchantment. It being cursed just stops you from unequipping it. I've gotten a +4 ring from him.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

MegaCharger posted:

-Save up 3 scrolls of magic finding by the time you reach the demon halls because there are only 3 levels here. You might also want to have a few torches for level 23 and definitely 24 because of the darkness.

Yeah, totally agree. Literally just skip the demon halls, in fact.

quote:

Lol who cares if it's cursed? Those rings still come with positive modifiers, pre-identified, and if you want to wear them, you're probably leaving then on for the rest of the game.

quote:

By the way, on the latest update did the last pixel mart at level 21 get removed?

No, you just haven't been doing the imp's quest, you goon. He's the new shop keeper there, and if you don't kill the golems for him he doesn't open shop. He literally tells you this.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 6, 2014

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

Eikre posted:

Yeah, totally agree. Literally just skip the demon halls, in fact.

Lol who cares if it's cursed? Those rings still come with positive modifiers, pre-identified, and if you want to wear them, you're probably leaving then on for the rest of the game.

No, you just haven't been doing the imp's quest, you goon. He's the new shop keeper there, and if you don't kill the golems for him he doesn't open shop. He literally tells you this.

God drat I stopped doing it cause I thought the rings are cursed so useless.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

MegaCharger posted:

I've been semi-addicted to this game for a long while now, had more than 200+ games played and beaten the last boss 4 times so far. I want to share some tips, spoiler of course.

-Thief Assassin is the easiest class to beat the game with overall. Yes warrior gets +1 strength and good early weapon, but once past level 5 those don't matter much while assassin's ability to do 100% crit by pulling enemies into doors is useful through the whole game.
-Stand on a sungrass plant and wait and you will heal forever, faster than hunger damage. If you want to grind, I suggest you grind using a sungrass to grind on level 11 because there are no ranged enemies here except the rare shaman, and mobs here all drop useful stuff. Bats drop health potion, brutes drop gold, spiders drop mystery meat. However I have never needed grinding to beat the game.
-To beat Boo semi-easily, even with poo poo weapon/armor, you just need a seed of firebloom and a seed of earthroot. Plant the earthroot right before the door, go into the door, plant the firebloom seed and aggro Boo with a ranged attack from the door, when he's on you, move back into your earthroot for the herbal armor buff. Boo will walk into the door tile and start burning. You want to just stand your ground and engage him here in melee. Burning at a door tile burns forever so hopefully you can outlast Boo as he takes burning damage every turn. This same tactic works with the machine boss as well although you can't burn him forever since there is no door on his level.
-Generally level 1-5 your priority is to get a good weapon, but by level 6 you want to start thinking about getting a decent set of armor because the level 10 boss does pretty good damage and you will die really fast without good armor.
-Any armor with about 30 damage reduction should be enough to last you through the whole game, you should use all your other upgrade scrolls on your weapon. Enemies in the later levels does so much damage and gives such annoying status effect that upgrading your armor is not as good as just having a really good weapon that you can use to quickly kill the enemy with.
-If you can, try to save your upgrade scrolls for when you find a weapon/armor that you know can last you for the rest of the game. You don't want to be upgrading a dagger or a leather armor for example. A splint mail or a battle axe on the other hand is not a bad choice to carry into the late game, especially if they come with +1 or +2 to start.
-Akhn is useless, because if you lose your stock pile of health potions you must grind to build it back up, and often times that's impossible to do. By the time you get to the dwarven city and especially the demon halls, you have to burn a healing potion or two per level just to stay alive. And if you don't have around 10 health potions along with some good weapon and armor it's impossible to beat the final boss.
-The scroll holder is a must have item. It let's you safely keep your scrolls even when you are burning, so you can confidently explore the levels without having to worry about your stuff burning up.

drat, I'm about to face the dwarf king for the first time and I used all my health pots just to get through the city alive. How screwed am I?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

nexus6 posted:

drat, I'm about to face the dwarf king for the first time and I used all my health pots just to get through the city alive. How screwed am I?

Depending on your gear/inventory you might be able to make it.

One strategy that works:

Pop an earthroot down in the middle of the room and stand on it. Throw fire/poison seeds onto the two nearby squares (you'll notice he will step on one and summon friends), until you run out of them. Attack the dwarf king as much as you can. If he isn't moving toward the other platform with a seed, kill a skeleton and then he'll move.

Wear the best armor you can, of course, ideally with metabolism on it.

Even if you make it you're going to have a tough time with the next three levels.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I've been beating him just by hanging out at the bottom, throwing toxic gas potions towards the top and killing the skeletons when they make it down. I haven't used a healing potion on him the last several times I've gotten to him.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

the littlest prince posted:

Depending on your gear/inventory you might be able to make it.

One strategy that works:

Pop an earthroot down in the middle of the room and stand on it. Throw fire/poison seeds onto the two nearby squares (you'll notice he will step on one and summon friends), until you run out of them. Attack the dwarf king as much as you can. If he isn't moving toward the other platform with a seed, kill a skeleton and then he'll move.

Wear the best armor you can, of course, ideally with metabolism on it.

Even if you make it you're going to have a tough time with the next three levels.

There is almost no way you will beat the last three levels with no healing potions, unless you just run away from everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There is almost no way you will beat the last three levels with no healing potions, unless you just run away from everything.

How do I get enough? I've bought every health potion I've seen at a shop, farmed every fly I see by luring it into a large room and unequipping my main weapon and punching them, but still the most I ever had at one time was 7. I had to use loads in the dwarf city because everything does so much damage there.

• Locked thread