Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Pixel Dungeon (blog|dedicated wiki) is a roguelike, available only on the Android OS. You can use Bluestacks (wikipedia) to play it on your PC/Mac, if you don't have an Android device.

Pixel Dungeon is inspired by Brogue, and apparently similar to NetHack (wikipedia) and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (wikipedia). I haven't played Brogue or NetHack at all, and very little DCSS, so I don't know exactly how much is taken from them. But, PD has unlockables, classes with unique traits and equipment, scrolls, potions, rings, various weapon types, weapon enchantments, armor enchantments (glyphs), wands, food, status/elemental effects, varied enemies, bosses, varied tile types, etc. I'm sure I'm leaving some things out. All equippable items can be cursed and upgraded. All potions, scrolls, and equippable items start off unidentified, with a few exceptions. Have a thirst for the Amulet of Yendor? It's here.

If you have a question about PD, check the Pixel Dungeon wiki! It is basically required reading, though you don't need to start there. Most of the mechanics you can discover on your own, and you might enjoy it more that way. Play a few games until you realize you have a question about game mechanics and don't feel like experimenting to find the answer, then go check there to see if there's an answer.

Surprisingly, Pixel Dungeon is free. If you enjoy this game, you should donate to the author via the in-game purchase on the main screen. Doing so does not unlock anything, it is completely optional. The author has said he has no plans to monetize PD, though who knows whether that will change in the future.

Here are some starting tips, most are spoilered:
  • (Class Difficulty) Warrior is the easiest class, start with that.
  • (Leveling mechanics) A few early enemies are much easier if your character level matches the floor you're on. Not easy, but easier.
  • (Combat mechanics) Attacking enemies as they come through the door is a guaranteed hit, though the damage may still be 0.
  • (Crystal chests) You can see what's inside a chest by using the ? button.
  • (Locked doors and obvious traps) Any time there is a locked door or a room with piranhas or a lot of traps, there will be a key or a potion to help you deal with the traps somewhere else on that same level. Levitation potion for traps, invisibility potion for piranhas, fire potion for wooden barricades. Pay attention to what you pick up on each level.
  • (Identifying potions) Drop all your scrolls on a different tile, and then stand on a water tile and drink an unknown potion. If it's a fire potion, the fire will go out immediately and you will only suffer a few damage.
  • (Items on the first few levels) There will almost always be a potion of strength and/or a scroll of upgrade on the first or second floor, usually one of each.
  • (Identifying scrolls) The scroll of upgrade is the most common scroll, at least until you find enemies that drop scrolls. Then it changes to Identify. If you have several, and multiple of one, it is probably a scroll of upgrade.
  • (Upgrading enchanted items) Upgrading a weapon or armor past +2 has a chance to lose the enchantment. It becomes more risky for each additional level. Reforging your short sword avoids this risk; there is also a scroll that can avoid this for weapons. There is no other way around this.
  • (Identifying armor/weapons) If you have a weapon/piece of armor or questionable origin, try waiting until you find a scroll of identify or remove curse before equipping it. Or just throw it on! If an item is cursed it will immediately tell you. Cursed items are always -1. Uncursed items are never degraded. A red item square means it is cursed.
  • (Killing the first boss) Plant a seed of earthroot in water, and position Goo on land (water heals him). You will take no damage until the seed wears off. Alternatively, drag him to the stairs and when he starts his special attack, go upstairs. You can get an extra hit in on him before going upstairs, depending on your speed. When you come back down he will have stopped the special attack. Stairdancing was taken out. Lame.
  • (Staying alive after levels 1-5) You may find it much easier to survive by farming healing potions form the flies (6-9) and vampire bats (11-14). For flies, grab a couple healing potions from the shop on 6 if you can (he usually has two), pray to find some upgraded scale or plate armor, unequip your weapon, and punch them to death as they multiply. You can keep doing this through level 12. Bats are easier, just kill them normally.

There are so many more things I could list here that I won't. Discover the nuances for yourself!

Like this:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

"You noticed something."

Latest Patch!

As of 1.6, armor glyphs were added! They are mostly crap and/or situational though, except for one which can be overpowered as hell. Also, some quests were added and there's a new NPC in the cave (levels 11-15).

Glyphs

All of these occur randomly when struck by an enemy.

quote:

Bounce (white glowing)
Causes enemies to be randomly pushed back after hitting you.
Affection (pink glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that both the player and the enemy receive the status charmed.
Anti-entropy (pale blue glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance the player will be illuminated and catch fire, and the enemy will be frozen.
Multiplicity (beige glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a mirror image will appear. This effect causes damage to the player, and/or has a chance to kill the player. (resulting in a death by Multiplicity Glyph and award (or endorsement) of the badge - Death by Glyph)
Potential (blue glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a lightning-style blast will hit the enemy which attacked the player. This also damages the player, and is another way to obtain the 'Death by Glyph' badge.
Metabolism (red glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that the player will be partially healed, but the player also becomes hungry faster.

The amount healed by Metabolism seems to be based on enemy strength, NOT damage done (0 damage counts). This can be overpowered if you have good armor, you'll heal faster than you take damage, so you can basically ignore food so the hunger part doesn't matter.

Some people recommend just selling any styluses you come across. They net you 100 gold.

The rose/skull quest seems maybe a little buggy. Sometimes the enemy with the quest item will not show up for a very long time, or for long enough that you can't afford to keep looking for it.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Each time they split the chance of dropping a potion halves so you're not really gaining anything by doing this.

Those are still chances you wouldn't have otherwise. If you have crap armor, you might want to use your weapon, or avoid them for the time being.

Before I learned about and gave in to fly farming, I had always been struggling with having enough health potions just to survive. Now, I usually end up with 15+ potions by the time I'm ready to fight the second boss. Probably way more than enough.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

"You noticed something."

Added this and some stock screenshots to the OP. They're a little bit out of date I think, but not in a way that matters.

Philosopher King posted:

This game is probably the most fun I've had repeately dying since Rogue Legacy. I really can't believe this is free.

So how much of my game is based on luck and how much is based on good decissions?

Impossible to say, but usually if you can get past level 5 the game is probably winnable. This is coming from someone who hasn't actually beaten it yet despite hoarding healing potions, mostly due to my inability to pay attention to my health bar.

There were some stats somewhere that said with the Warrior, one out of ~10 games is winnable, and something like 20/30/40 for the other classes. I forget and don't know where I saw that. Probably somewhere on the PD wiki.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

Got me a longsword +3 and some plate armour so I kill goo with no problems and head down. A crazy thief steals the plate armour so I chase the little rear end in a top hat down and kill him. In the shop. Where he drops my armour. That will now cost me more gold than I have to get it back from the rear end in a top hat shopkeep.

I've heard reports of this but haven't seen it myself and I've done similar things. I assumed it got patched out at some point before I started playing. Maybe it's still around but for only certain types of items? It's not listed on any of the bugs wiki pages, so that's probably the case.

Wiki pages:
Known bugs
Old bugs
Possibly corrected bugs

The entire wiki seems to be maintained by watabou, though I don't think it's entirely updated for 1.6. If you're on the latest version you should probably add it to the wiki.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Actually, I found something that says it's working as intended on the Known Bugs page. Not in the article itself, but in the comments.

quote:

I was playing a rogue and on level 6 a crazy thief stole a glaive that I got from the sad ghost. I chased it down and killed it in the shop room, and the glaive dropped onto a spot with another item that I hadn't yet bought and the glaive seemingly replaced this item in the shop. So now I had to rebuy the glaive I already earned, which I couldn't do of course because it was over 9000 gold (literally).

An admin posted:

Not a bug, it’s intended that way.

Pretty dumb.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

The only thing the Ankh was useful for was regenerating levels and that's gone now. It's not even worth the inventory space it takes up.

What's everybody get from the wandmaker? I almost always pick the non-battle wand since they're all fairly useful (except for telekinesis).

Depends on the loadout at the current time. It's usually a meaningful choice, thankfully. If I don't have a damage wand, I usually get that. Sometimes I prefer to have two damage wands.

I'm playing a game right now as an assassin and I have a teleportation wand. It's pretty helpful. Bash someone's face a few times, send them off, and then do it again later. Also an eldritch mace, same purpose.

Other good combos: vampiric weapon (I've only ever seen 2 of these I think) and wand of flock, huntress and wand of regrowth. Really any class and the wand of regrowth, it's pretty awesome.

About to enter the last five levels though and I'm down to 3 healing potions. I don't think I'm going to make it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

USMC_Karl posted:

I've had Pixel Dungeon installed on my phone forever and never really got around to putting much time into it until this thread popped up. Wow, thanks for making me start this time sink! It's actually very well designed, the sound/music production value is actually decent, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I've not managed to beat it yet, but it does seem to me that if you can get a build to beat goo then you have a pretty decent build. At first I was pretty irritated that Goo seemed to either totally destroy my character or be a total wash, but it seems that he is kind of designed that way.

Also, props on the OP. Very nice, and it's good to have all the little tips built into the first post.

One strategy question; I've been doing my normal crawl strategy of "collect a couple levels worth of potions and scrolls, find someplace safe, just use 'em all" method of identification. Aside from bottles of fire/levitation, which can usually be identified by their tasks in a level, this seems to be the best way. Am I correct in assuming that, or am I wasting my junk?

That's one way that can work pretty well.

I usually do it slowly, sometimes to get rid of inventory space, sometimes to try to identify/uncurse a batch of items. I try to wait until level 6 to do non-obvious potions, so that healing potions are unidentified (and cheaper) in the shop, and none are wasted on a full health bar, but that's not a huge deal. You can usually guess what color it is by being either the most numerous in your inventory or the most numerous in the shop, and even if they are identified you may be able to afford them anyway.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

I wish this game wasn't basically determined in "Have you gotten armor in the early stages?" or "Have you gotten an enchanted weapon in the early stages?" Also, feel like none of the Arcane Stylus "buffs" are really worth it honestly. They all basically add another variable for you to die, which is pretty much what you're trying to stay away from.

Game is really fun, though.

All but Metabolism. But yeah, glyphs are an issue. I've been saving them up until I can throw 3-4 at a piece of armor if I don't get what I want the first time.

I had a mage over the weekend with plate armor of metabolism +8 (found a +1 in an early level and pumped upgrade scrolls into it), and had tons of basically everything I could have needed to finish the game for the first time (after failing countless times with a warrior). Forgot to keep track of my health bar again and died on the 24th level. My forgetfulness is the most dangerous enemy in the game. I should have been upset, but I knew I would have made it (I had ~55 health potions, for starters) so it's basically a victory to me.

I started him at nighttime, and it seems like the game is easier when you do that. You get lots more equipment drops and they often have positive modifiers. It's supposed to be balanced, but I think it's actually weighted in your favor. I had several +1 weapons drop, plus the +1 plate armor. It's no +3 but in the early levels a +1 can be a big deal.

There seems to be some sort of balancing act between armor and weapons that I haven't really figured out. Should you put an equal number of scrolls into your weapon as your armor? Should you start with more into armor and then transition into weapons? I usually wait until the 4th area at least to see if I get a tier 5 weapon before resigning to a tier 4, but that only works with really good armor. I actually suspect I'm a little too anal about all this, that I could probably win the game with a starting weapon and maybe leather/mail/scale armor.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

I think you need at least 3 seeds of the same type to turn into a potion.

The seeds can be of different types! Mostly moot though since as far as I can tell you can't split stacks.

Also of note, there is currently a bug where if you have a stack of 4+ seeds and you plant one on an alchemy pot, it turns into a potion. Not very useful since by the time you have stacks of 4+ you probably aren't hurting for Healing potions. Though, if you found a wand of regrowth early on...

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Watabou posted some new stuff on facebook recently. A screenshot of water reflections and a screenshot of the new rankings screen which appears to contain a new glyph.

Reflections:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=598526496883721&set=a.449149225154783.100346.440156436054062&type=1&theater

Rankings screen:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=601554889914215&set=a.449149225154783.100346.440156436054062&type=1&theater

Btw, are we allowed to use [img] tags with photos on facebook or do we have to rehost them on imgur first?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

So apparently if you use a scroll of terror in a shop it scares the shopkeeper and he takes all his stock with him :(

Also, scroll of lullaby does this, and probably psionic blast.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

There's also a red background which means the item is cursed. Sometimes you'll find a bones file with a wraith in it. The item is always cursed, but not necessarily inferior (and might even be upgraded.)

http://pixeldungeon.wikia.com/wiki/Hero%27s_remains

I actually did not completely understand how this worked until just now. For some reason I thought a level was subtracted AND it was cursed. But that doesn't seem to be true, it just becomes cursed!

Here's a list of item level caps based on the formula in that page:
code:
Level of death	Item level cap
1		1
2		1
3		2
4		2
5		3
6		4
7		4
8		5
9		5
10		6
11		7
12		7
13		8
14		8
15		9
16		10
17		10
18		11
19		11
20		12
21		13
22		13
23		14
24		14
You could theoretically take three different heroes to levels 6,7,8 with +4 or +5 items, kill them, and then take the fourth hero and have him pick up these items. You might need to stagger their deaths and the retrieval of their equipment. It's not clear whether only one hero's remains can exist at one time or not. Also none of the items would be guaranteed since it picks an equipment slot at random.

A more successful option would be to keep trying on every floor. Kill another character, advance to next floor, repeat until you're satisfied.

This sounds pretty tedious though. Don't think I'll bother beyond maybe trying it once for the novelty.

nexus6 posted:

I thought the red background meant unidentified? For example, my potions have all had red backgrounds until I identified them; surely they aren't cursed?

That's purple, not red.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

quote:

1.6.2 released!

- Added: New glyph - armor of stench
- Added: New glyph - armor of viscosity
- Added: New quest-giving NPC
- Added: Dew vial
- Changed: New Rankings screen
- Changed: Some glyphs are tweaked
- Changed: Items dropped atop of shopkeeper's goods can be picked up for free
- Fixed: Loads of bugs
...and more

:buddy:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I can't wait to die horribly in new and exciting ways! How does the Dew vial work?

I was about to tell you I had no idea, but then I found one!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

You need to be full health, and have the dew jar in your inventory. Then, any dew drops you 'use' will go into the dew jar, which you can then proceed to use at any time and it'll heal you for however many dew drops you had in the jar. I don't think it disappears after you use all the dew stored in it, but I may be wrong.

Found it earlier before I realized there was an update and was pretty lost, had no idea how I had never seen it before.

It does not disappear, and it apparently fully heals you when it gets used automatically.

I keep finding it on level 1, I think it's a guaranteed drop.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Tamba posted:

The latter

Surely you mean the former. It's "tier 1", not "tier -1".

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Seravadon posted:

This stupid game!

I did finally finish the game for the first time despite my run in with a grim weapon though! Used my last healing potion on the final level and ended it all with a +4 glaive, +10 scale (I didn't get my first suit of plate until the dwarven city and by then I already had +6 scale, thanks game), and a +3 ring of mending(Which I got from the new quest NPC). Now to beat it with the other 3 classes...

He gave me a +0 cursed ring of resistance. That bastard.

Anyway I also finally finished the game! Also had scale armor (+7 at the end), but my weapon was a +8 mace. I really don't recommend the mace, but it's probably good I went with it because I found only two tier 4 weapons, and none that were tier 5. What saved me was a wand of regrowth +2. I muddled my way through the last fight using the seeds I got from that. Also, the new glyph of viscosity is pretty awesome. It takes the X damage you would have taken and spreads it out with 1 damage per turn over the next X turns. It also stacks, do you can have it add up over time (cue me using seeds of sungrass). You still only get 1 damage per turn, the number of turns just increases. It doesn't work for every hit though. I only had that glyph for the last five levels, sadly.

It's unclear whether I would have made it if I hadn't had that glyph. Probably, but it definitely helped.

:Yendor:

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 28, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Celvin posted:

Edit: Does anyone know what happens if you don't finish the Imp's quest? He ripped me off with a +0 cursed(!?) ring of energy as a reward, but appeared as a shopkeeper on the last shop.

I didn't do his quest until after progressing to level 21 (I forgot) and there was no shop. I even used a scroll of magic mapping because I thought it odd. I figured maybe it was just random chance whether there was a shop there or not, but I guess they could be related if he's now the shopkeeper!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Almost certainly just some bugfixes.

Also, just noticed this game is in the 'Brain and Puzzle' category on Google Play. Weird.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

precision posted:

Well yeah, but I usually run out of projectiles very quickly and sometimes don't find any new ones. Just seems weird that it's the only "dangerous special room" without a guaranteed drop.
You mean the rooms with lots of fire traps? You're correct, there is no related item. You can throw pretty much anything except potions and scrolls to set them off. Well, you could probably throw scrolls and maybe potions but both of those would be dumb options.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It's also a pain in the rear end if they're hidden around a corner (which is most of the time) because they won't move at all if there's no path to get to you. You can try the 'aim at another block to hit an enemy around a corner' trick but it won't necessarily work and you might lose your boomerang and not be able to safely retrieve it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

nexus6 posted:

drat, I'm about to face the dwarf king for the first time and I used all my health pots just to get through the city alive. How screwed am I?

Depending on your gear/inventory you might be able to make it.

One strategy that works:

Pop an earthroot down in the middle of the room and stand on it. Throw fire/poison seeds onto the two nearby squares (you'll notice he will step on one and summon friends), until you run out of them. Attack the dwarf king as much as you can. If he isn't moving toward the other platform with a seed, kill a skeleton and then he'll move.

Wear the best armor you can, of course, ideally with metabolism on it.

Even if you make it you're going to have a tough time with the next three levels.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Pro tip: drop and pick up the want twenty times real quick and it bugs out and recharges every turn.

Before anyone rushes off to take advantage of this, you should know that you have to do this for every wand you want to exploit with this bug, and that it can stop working.

wiki entry posted:

Infinitely charged wand CHEAT

Problem

When a wand is taken and placed in the backpack, an invisible recharge buff is applied to the Hero, in order to give that wand a charge every 40 turns. However, when that wand is removed from the backpack (dropped or stolen by a thief/bandit), the recharge buff is not detached. Consequently, by dropping/taking the same wand 40 times (or more), the wand recharges itself each turn (or more) on average, making the wand practically infinitely recharged. When the game is relaunched, the superfluous recharge buffs disappear, thus that dropping/taking cheat must be performed again (for each wand), but as long as the game is running, it works.

I'm not sure what re-launched means, could be every time you load the game from the menu, or maybe only when Pixel Dungeon is completely closed and re-opened. Also, the wiki says it's 40 turns, not 20. Maybe 20 is for mages and 40 for everyone else?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

You guys should add those bugs to the wiki.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

Yeah, I'll throw it in there.

Also, just ran a quick table of wand damages. I kinda wish they made the Magic Missle wand a little more useful, it's kind of pathetic.

drat. I had no idea. Guess that's going to be a gimmick run pretty soon!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

m.hache posted:

Is there a way to tell what the weapon enchantments do? I have a battle Axe with an unstable enchantment but no idea what it does.

Also, does upgrading weapon/armor boost its damage and defense? Or just lowers its str requirements?

the littlest prince posted:

If you have a question about PD, check the Pixel Dungeon wiki! It is basically required reading, though you don't need to start there. Most of the mechanics you can discover on your own, and you might enjoy it more that way. Play a few games until you realize you have a question about game mechanics and don't feel like experimenting to find the answer, then go check there to see if there's an answer.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Anyone ever get a game where the blacksmith just isn't there?

Yeah that happened to me a while back. Considering his reward is pretty lovely I'm not too annoyed.

On a completely unrelated note, watabou may be changing level layouts in a future update, so that they're not square-ish any more. He posted about it on facebook and there was a lot of reasonable criticism about changing food droprates, hidden rooms, and such to compensate. Much more level-headed comments than I would have expected on facebook.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Has anyone ever tried to transfer a hero's armor to a character of another class, and/or on one of the first few dungeon levels?

Also can you apply glyphs to a hero's armor?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Pixel Dungeon blog posted:

Added: Journal (now I think I should have named it “Dungeon journal”)
Added: Alternative quest for the troll blacksmith
Added: New glyph - armor of displacement
Added: New glyph - armor of entanglement
Added: Non-rectangular rooms
Added: New fonts
Added: Additional info in rankings
Changed: New level layouts
Changed: Field of view is “round” now
Changed: Inscribed armors are more common now
Changed: Arcane styli are rarer now
Fixed: Several bugs and typos

I'm off today because my nose is a snot fountain so I'm updating now and will try to find out what the new quest/glyphs are.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 20, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Journal

New quest

Bookcases can now block the entrance to a room

None of my styluses have given me a new glyph yet. Also I didn't find a single piece of enchanted armor out of the ~15 I found.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Lack of scaling is pretty common in this game. I'm not a game designer so I don't know if it is the best choice or not but it seems very strange to me. Hunger might as well not exist past level 15. Same with traps of most kinds.

Also, it would be nice if rings were more common. They are so rare that it's not much of a choice whether to wear a ring or not, because you probably only have one. And it's probably cursed and -1, and not worth the trouble of making it usable.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

precision posted:

I've seen at least two Battleaxes and 2-3 pairs of Scale Armor since the update, in every game, always before level 15. I think he adjusted the drop rate for weapons/armor.

Also been drowning in Potions of Strength, hitting 16 Strength by floor 10 almost every time.

On the other hand, some monsters seem to do quite a bit more damage now. Gnoll Brutes and Cave Spinners, I'm looking at you. +3 Scale used to be enough to trivialize them, last night I got massacred by them.

What? It's supposed to be fixed at ~2 potions per 5 levels:

wiki posted:

The Potions of Strength can only be found generated in floors, except in boss depths and depth 21. There is at most 1 potion per floor, with the following quantities by stage:

stage 1 (Sewers): 2 potions,
stages 2 — 4: 1 (40 %) or 2 (60 %) potions by stage,
stage 5 (Demon Halls) : 0 (40 %) or 1 (60 %) potion.

So, in the whole dungeon, there are 5 — 9 Potions of Strength that can be found, with a 12.96 % probability to find them all.

You should be able to hit 15 as a warrior and 14 as any other class. I don't think I've ever seen less than 2 potions per stage though, oddly (excepting the demon halls).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Cidrick posted:

Non-square dungeon floors are ruining your immersion of a android roguelike?

Can we please not do this here. This thread has been great so far and I'd love for it to not get infested with petty my-concerns-are-more-valid-than-yours bullshit.

Thanks.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

MegaCharger posted:

Is there any other game on android that plays like pixel dungeon? I've tried a lot of the other top rated rogue likes but none are as fun/addictive as pixel dungeon.

BrogueX
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.disinterest.broguex&hl=en

Port of the PC game Brogue (which is free). I haven't played BrogueX, and only a single short game of Brogue, but it's probably very similar to...

DC:SS
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crawlmb&hl=en

DCSS is also a port of a free PC game (can also play it in a browser, which seems to be the most popular). It isn't as targeted to mobile devices as Pixel Dungeon (in fact, it's basically the straightest port possible). So it's going to be less enjoyable in some ways, but it's also more complex in basically every way. DCSS can be very addictive. There's been a very entertaining Let's Play thread going on for a while now with no end in sight.

Less relevant stuff below, but maybe you'll find something new?

Here's an article detailing some roguelikes that probably aren't any good.

And another but I can't see it through my work proxy.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Vander posted:

When you have a full dewvial, do you use it before a healing pot or as a last resort before death?

You shouldn't ever use it manually unless you have a good source of dewdrops to refill it (i.e. +2 wand of regrowth); it gets used automatically when you die.

e: Even then you wouldn't use it manually.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Not a viking posted:

How the gently caress do I not get killed by evil eyes?

They can be high damage but they're like any other ranged enemy. Drag them through a door, chug potions as needed.

I think their attacks are a magical effect, so a ring of resistance can help if you have one.

Once you get that down you can potentially get fancy and use their attacks against other enemies (though I'm not sure it's worth it).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That tip was mainly meant for crabs, and maybe the first gnoll type, too. They seem to be a lot easier with appropriate dodge/accuracy. Everything past that can mostly be tackled whenever. Maybe I should make that more specific.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Version 1.7 released

http://pixeldungeon.tumblr.com/post/85820540080/1-7-0-released

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Hah, you can't stairdance goo any more. The stairs disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Game's going open source. Can't wait for a pc port!

Maybe someone will finally fix the "Welcome to the level 1 of the dungeon" message.

Also, small update to version 1.7.1!

http://pixeldungeon.tumblr.com/post/87097502400/1-7-1-released

• Locked thread