Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Are the levels supposed to be perfect squares or just close? I feel like I'm searching everywhere there's not a straight edge and wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks.

Is there a decent explanation of the UI anywhere? I've been playing like mad the past few days so I understand most of the mechanics, but I still don't get what some of the UI indicates. It took me a while to work out what the experience bar even was.

Here I'm a warrior with strength 11. What does the text mean if it is in orange? The knuckledusters are below my strength level and the armor is above it but both are orange?

The sword and the shuriken are in red, despite the armor requiring a higher strength. What does that mean? Also, I know I can wear armor above my strength level, as long as I don't move around much, to benefit from it. Is there a penalty for using a weapon that's too high above your strength?

What do the question marks indicate? Is there a reason for the colon before the level numbers of the other items?

Finally, are potions of strength the only way to increase strength? Seems like you could grind levels faster than your strength increases.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There's also a red background which means the item is cursed. Sometimes you'll find a bones file with a wraith in it. The item is always cursed, but not necessarily inferior (and might even be upgraded.)

I thought the red background meant unidentified? For example, my potions have all had red backgrounds until I identified them; surely they aren't cursed?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Dumb question, what do the green '+1' or '+2' numbers mean for armor and weapons? Does it mean they protect 1 more point of damage or cause 1 more point of damage? Is this taken into account in the description? Say I have armor that's +1 and it says it protects 3 points of damage, does that take +1 into account or does it actually protect 4 points of damage?

I understand the idea in a roguelike of discovering mechanics for yourself but don't know why there isn't a reference for the kind of thing.

Also, the description says "tier-1". Is is tier 1 or tier -1 with unforutunate formatting?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Had a really lucky run last night, beat Goo and Tengu and reached level 12 for only the second time so far. However I can't now load my saved game, every time I try I get this.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it or shall I just start again?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Ah well, I'll just start a new one. This is like meta-roguelike

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Well just before I started a new game I tried loading again and it worked. My main issue so far is finding enough food, not sure how many more levels down I'll survive.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

This game is great. I usually get frustrated if I have to do something over and over (I'm looking at you, Hoplite) but I keep coming back to pixel dungeon. I just reached DM-300 for the first time and got killed (I didn't know he was surrounded by toxic gas so I wasn't best prepared for the fight) but I'm not even mad. Time to dive back in and start again!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Made it to the dwarf city for the first time and it's a hell of a step up in difficulty. I had about 4 healing potions left after beating DM300 and used them all one a single floor. gently caress those dwarf monks. Also got all that way and never found plate armor.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Doctor Butts is right. The ring of evasion is a legendary find. I'd save a scroll of upgrade for a well of transmutation, since you can then enchant your sword.

I just got killed on floor 7 with two +2 rings of evasion. I'd never found one before and then I found two. The previous game I died on floor 13 with +6 plate armor. This loving game. Time to start again!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Lol. How did you die? Plate mail +6 makes you extremely powerful. Especially only on floor 13.

Well I thought so too, but some gnoll brutes got me surrounded.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

MegaCharger posted:

I've been semi-addicted to this game for a long while now, had more than 200+ games played and beaten the last boss 4 times so far. I want to share some tips, spoiler of course.

By the way, on the latest update did the last pixel mart at level 21 get removed?

-Thief Assassin is the easiest class to beat the game with overall. Yes warrior gets +1 strength and good early weapon, but once past level 5 those don't matter much while assassin's ability to do 100% crit by pulling enemies into doors is useful through the whole game.
-Stand on a sungrass plant and wait and you will heal forever, faster than hunger damage. If you want to grind, I suggest you grind using a sungrass to grind on level 11 because there are no ranged enemies here except the rare shaman, and mobs here all drop useful stuff. Bats drop health potion, brutes drop gold, spiders drop mystery meat. However I have never needed grinding to beat the game.
-To beat Boo semi-easily, even with poo poo weapon/armor, you just need a seed of firebloom and a seed of earthroot. Plant the earthroot right before the door, go into the door, plant the firebloom seed and aggro Boo with a ranged attack from the door, when he's on you, move back into your earthroot for the herbal armor buff. Boo will walk into the door tile and start burning. You want to just stand your ground and engage him here in melee. Burning at a door tile burns forever so hopefully you can outlast Boo as he takes burning damage every turn. This same tactic works with the machine boss as well although you can't burn him forever since there is no door on his level.
-Generally level 1-5 your priority is to get a good weapon, but by level 6 you want to start thinking about getting a decent set of armor because the level 10 boss does pretty good damage and you will die really fast without good armor.
-Any armor with about 30 damage reduction should be enough to last you through the whole game, you should use all your other upgrade scrolls on your weapon. Enemies in the later levels does so much damage and gives such annoying status effect that upgrading your armor is not as good as just having a really good weapon that you can use to quickly kill the enemy with.
-If you can, try to save your upgrade scrolls for when you find a weapon/armor that you know can last you for the rest of the game. You don't want to be upgrading a dagger or a leather armor for example. A splint mail or a battle axe on the other hand is not a bad choice to carry into the late game, especially if they come with +1 or +2 to start.
-Akhn is useless, because if you lose your stock pile of health potions you must grind to build it back up, and often times that's impossible to do. By the time you get to the dwarven city and especially the demon halls, you have to burn a healing potion or two per level just to stay alive. And if you don't have around 10 health potions along with some good weapon and armor it's impossible to beat the final boss.
-Save up 3 scrolls of magic finding by the time you reach the demon halls because there are only 3 levels here. You might also want to have a few torches for level 23 and definitely 24 because of the darkness.
-The scroll holder is a must have item. It let's you safely keep your scrolls even when you are burning, so you can confidently explore the levels without having to worry about your stuff burning up.
-Don't obsess about leveling up, a level or 2 won't help that much. It's much better to save up those precious health potions.
-The imp quest that have you collect 6 golem tokens seem pretty useless, as the item you get is always cursed. And golems does mega damage.

drat, I'm about to face the dwarf king for the first time and I used all my health pots just to get through the city alive. How screwed am I?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There is almost no way you will beat the last three levels with no healing potions, unless you just run away from everything.

How do I get enough? I've bought every health potion I've seen at a shop, farmed every fly I see by luring it into a large room and unequipping my main weapon and punching them, but still the most I ever had at one time was 7. I had to use loads in the dwarf city because everything does so much damage there.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wow, it's actually a decent drop rate:

Potion Probability
Potion of Healing 45/151 29.8 %
Potion of Experience 4/151 2.65 %
Potion of Toxic Gas 15/151 9.93 %
Potion of Paralytic Gas 10/151 6.62 %
Potion of Liquid Flame 15/151 9.93 %
Potion of Levitation 10/151 6.62 %
Potion of Strength 0/151 0 %
Potion of Mind Vision 20/151 13.25 %
Potion of Purification 12/151 7.95 %
Potion of Invisibility 10/151 6.62 %
Potion of Might 0/151 0 %
Potion of Frost 10/151 6.62 %

One in three chance of getting a healing potion. Not too bad. I typically farm about 30 from the flies before I leave the area so I've never had to worry. There was a change in the way generation of new flies effects potion spawning, so each successive generation of flies spawned has a lower rate of dropping a potion. The math still works out where if you kill more flies there's a higher total chance of getting more potions even if the individual chance of getting one potion is lower:

killing 1 generation-1 Swarm: 1/5 = 0.2 potions,
killing 2 generation-2 Swarms: 2/10 = 0.2 potions,
killing 4 generation-3 Swarms: 4/15 ≈ 0.2667 potions,
killing 8 generation-4 Swarms: 8/20 = 0.4 potions,
killing 16 generation-5 Swarms: 16/25 = 0.64 potions,

I don't know if his math is right, since in gen 2, it's 1/10 for each kill, not 1/10+1/10=2/10 for two kills, but he seems pretty convinced he's right.

Holy crap, 30? I assume the total is more than that since you'd need to use some to prevent dying of starvation/being attacked by other enemies?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Is restarting the game if you don't have decent gear by the time you reach Goo a good idea? I've been doing this the past couple of days not finding anything better than mail armor and a spear so I'm getting pretty bored.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Seravadon posted:

As long as I find at least some sort of armor upgrade, even leather, I try to take on the Goo. Since skeletons have a chance to drop weapons your chances of getting a good weapon in the next area are much better. Just try not to waste your upgrade scrolls until you get something really good.

I kept my upgrade scrolls and just got plate armor +3 from the ghost :-)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Finally did it, thanks for the tips guys. I used my wand of blink to avoid the fists but their ranged attack does a poo poo load of damage, plate armor doesnt seem to help the warrior defend against magic. Luckily the eye was right next to a corner so I got an earthroot down and was surrounded so the fist could only do physical attacks. Then it was simply a case of chipping away at the eye's health and replanting an earthroot once it wore off. Now to try the other classes out.

By the way, what happens if you decide to keep playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Eikre posted:

:sigh: I'm not finding the game as fun with these new level layouts. The Dev's opinion is that the door-search minigame was too easy before, but now it frequently just may as well not exist. Did you clear the level? Almost certainly not, but without a more solid indication of where or even if you should check around, it's just not economical to try to find all the hidden rooms.

Plus, nondescript hallways are a lot loving longer, now.

Very tedious.

Me neither, searched around this level for ages before realising there were no more hidden rooms, just a narrow L-shaped dungeon.

Also, I feel this "random" layout doesn't really fit the story/premise. Why would anyone have built a dungeon layout like this?

• Locked thread