Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lowness 72 posted:

I made it to the Demon Halls last night as a warrior. That was awesome. So now I'm trying my hand as a wizard, but crabs are destroying my poo poo every time I run into them. Any tips?

The biggest tip I found early game is the equip the best armor you find regardless of strength whenever you enter combat. The armor penalty applies whenever you move, so it you are standing still trading melee blows with an enemy you don't have any penalty, only the benefit of increased armor. Of course you waste a couple turns putting it on but if you keep an eye out for an enemy, put on the armor and then wait a couple turns you can typically fight every enemy with minimal damage. With this strategy if you get a plate armor before floor four you can easily deal with crabs and Goo. Also you can use your upgrade scrolls on the plate armor asap instead of wasting them since you normally don't want to use them on an armor you cant wear yet.

The above should be in the OP. Its a sure strategy for early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

"You noticed something."

You noticed that your game is over.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Are you sure? Because I'm 99% certain that monsters get more attacks against you when you have heavy armor equipped. Actually I'm 100% sure of it. But, as you say, it's almost always worth the tradeoff, especially with Scale/Plate armor.

Nope. They absolutely do not get more attacks if you are encumbered by armor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I guess that's what was confusing me. It seems odd, but means the game isn't nearly as unforgiving as I thought.

One thing I've noticed too is that the chance of finding rings is pretty low compared to everything else, most games it takes me quite a while to even find a single ring.

I'm also not really convinced there's any point in playing Berserker. Assassin also doesn't seem balanced to be as powerful as Freerunner. Battlemage and Warlock are both very useful, though.

Assassin is much more useful than Freerunner, especially if you upgrade your ring of shadows. You can sneak up on most anything, and if you kite an enemy through a closed door the first hit (when they are in the doorway) always counts as a surprise, giving the damage bonus plus 100% hit rate.

Freerunner is only useful if you aren't hungry and are running away a lot. 1) You will be hungry almost all the time and it hardly matters if you lose a few HP from it, and 2) you won't be running away from many fights. The benefits you get for increased attacking aren't that good compared to the critical strike bonus of the Assassin. Maybe if you have the mace or the knuckle duster you can attack twice per turn, but they knuckle duster already does that.

I found a useful strategy in leveling up a knuckle duster. By the end of the game as a barbarian I had an enchanted flaming knuckle duster +12. I was dishing out decent damage twice to the enemies one, and lighting them on fire. It seems that if you get a super buffed duster, it's better than a high level weapon because you get two hits. Atleast in that game I didn't run across anything good until really late in the game so the duster was pretty effective.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Ahhh, I thought Freerunner got the speed bonus as long as you're not Starving, that would explain why it seemed to be inconsistent.

And yeah, I won a game as a Warlock the other day just using a Blazing Knuckleduster the whole game with highly enchanted wands of Disintegrate/Lightning/Fire. "Fast" weapons are the best.

What's the best trick for beating the third boss? It seems like I just get lucky or get smashed, no real middle ground.

The third boss is DM300, right? He's imune to poison, but not to paralysis or fire. I typically just through a potion of paralysis or frost at him and plink away with wands or fire potions. As always, earthroot is your friend. If you throw it on the ground and then step on it, it gives you a big armor buff as long as you don't move. If you have a potion of purity you can through it and clear out his gas cloud and just rail on him.

He'll take a few potions of healing to survive, but if you keep him paralyzed and work him from a distance he's softened up enough so you can run in and kill him in melee combat. I've never lost to him, typically by the time I beat Tengu I have a powerful equipment set and plenty of potions to waste on him.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

andrew smash posted:

The trick to the robot is to control his movement. You can melee him and never take damage from his cloud. Also don't let him step on the dead traps, they heal him.

Doesn't his cloud sort of lag behind him?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Don't kill the Thief in the store, pretty simple. You can always kite him back out by just leaving and waiting a few turns. Remember, this is a Rougelike, it's not supposed to be fair or coddle you in anyways. It's meant to be hard and bitter. Stop arguing with the system and work with it.

Another tip:

Don't buy the Ankh. It's not worth it. If you die, the Ankh brings you back with just your equipped weapons and nothing else. You'll lose all your good wands, any alternate weapons or armor, and all your scrolls and potions. You used to be able to dump everything and die to reset shops, but they patched that out. You can stockpile items on older floors so if you die you can go back and pick them up, but you don't really get enough items to make it worth splitting them up.

Instead of buying the Ankh buy healing potions.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Frogmanv2 posted:

And now it's happened for the first time, I won't be doing it again. Pretty silly to say "well, just don't do the thing that will horribly set back your character even though there is literally nothing in game to tell you otherwise and the only way you can work this out is to read the comments section of the wiki."

Hello, welcome to Rougelikes! Hope you enjoy your stay. Oh, by the way, don't drink that potion, it will light you on fire. Or that one, it will poison you. Or read that scroll, it will summon all the enemies. Or put on that armor, it's cursed.

Part of the charm of the genre is getting screwed by things you had no idea could happen. Next game, do not do that thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hello, welcome to Rougelikes! Hope you enjoy your stay. Oh, by the way, don't drink that potion, it will light you on fire. Or that one, it will poison you. Or read that scroll, it will summon all the enemies. Or put on that armor, it's cursed.

Part of the charm of the genre is getting screwed by things you had no idea could happen. Next game, do not do that thing.

[quote="precision" post="424529548"]
Generally speaking, if you can make it past Goo, the only realistic obstacles to winning are the third and fourth bosses; the actual regular dungeon monsters become trivial as you buy/find plenty of healing pots and upgrade scrolls.

Gonna suggest Watabou add artifact weapons and harder monsters to the endgame.

I'd love to see a New Game + Increased enemy difficulties, but you get to keep your equipped items for another run though. Or maybe a potion rack that allows you to consolidate your potions like the scroll case.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't yet donated, I'd take a few minutes to do so. The game is free but the guy deserves some financial love.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 17, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

the littlest prince posted:

Depends on the loadout at the current time. It's usually a meaningful choice, thankfully. If I don't have a damage wand, I usually get that. Sometimes I prefer to have two damage wands.

I'm playing a game right now as an assassin and I have a teleportation wand. It's pretty helpful. Bash someone's face a few times, send them off, and then do it again later. Also an eldritch mace, same purpose.

Other good combos: vampiric weapon (I've only ever seen 2 of these I think) and wand of flock, huntress and wand of regrowth. Really any class and the wand of regrowth, it's pretty awesome.

About to enter the last five levels though and I'm down to 3 healing potions. I don't think I'm going to make it.

Go back and potion farm.

Has any one tinkered with the same games? I looked at the format and it's pretty simple, so I gave myself a few buffs. It completely ruins the game though, since the point is replays. However, it's fun to have a Wand of Disintegration +99 and just murder everything in one shot.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

USMC_Karl posted:

I've had Pixel Dungeon installed on my phone forever and never really got around to putting much time into it until this thread popped up. Wow, thanks for making me start this time sink! It's actually very well designed, the sound/music production value is actually decent, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I've not managed to beat it yet, but it does seem to me that if you can get a build to beat goo then you have a pretty decent build. At first I was pretty irritated that Goo seemed to either totally destroy my character or be a total wash, but it seems that he is kind of designed that way.

Also, props on the OP. Very nice, and it's good to have all the little tips built into the first post.

One strategy question; I've been doing my normal crawl strategy of "collect a couple levels worth of potions and scrolls, find someplace safe, just use 'em all" method of identification. Aside from bottles of fire/levitation, which can usually be identified by their tasks in a level, this seems to be the best way. Am I correct in assuming that, or am I wasting my junk?

One option is to wait for level six and do it then. That way you can see what flies drop or which one the shop has the most of and know that color is healing. Also you will see what potions you have the most of. Likely potion one is healing and two is strength. You almost always get a strength potion on level one as well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

There seems to be some sort of balancing act between armor and weapons that I haven't really figured out. Should you put an equal number of scrolls into your weapon as your armor? Should you start with more into armor and then transition into weapons? I usually wait until the 4th area at least to see if I get a tier 5 weapon before resigning to a tier 4, but that only works with really good armor. I actually suspect I'm a little too anal about all this, that I could probably win the game with a starting weapon and maybe leather/mail/scale armor.

I don't bother upgrading either weapons or armors (except the default armor you can disenchant) until I get something I want to use for the long haul. Typically by level five I get a plate armor, and by six or seven I have both plate armor and a weapon I like.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

You can disenchant the cloth armor you start with?

Sorry, I was wrong. None of them do. However you can un-enchant the wand the Mage starts with. It's always worth buffing the warriors sword because when you use it to enchant another weapon there's a 0% chance it will knock off the enchant like can sometimes happen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Celvin posted:

I've had a lot of fun trying to "break" the game by using some powerful combinations that basically makes the difficulty plummet altogether.

I already mentioned my Battlemage with his wand of firebolt. This time I finished the game with a lvl 25 assassin equipped with a +10 ring of evasion. With 17 strenght and some light armor(+4 scale armor) it was almost impossible to be hit. This was my easiest descend so far, even the enemies on last levels couldn't put up a challenge this time. I usually rush through the last three levels because of those annoying disintegrating monsters, but they couldn't damage me at all.

Does anyone have any suggestion for other combos that'll break the game in a simmilar fashion?

A high level chilling knuckleduster makes enemies statutes that you can just beat up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lessthankyle posted:

I finally beat the game with a rogue assassin, after 256 tries (total games). I think the thing that got me through this time was saving my upgrade scrolls for a higher-tier weapons. I used one or two on a spear at the beginning, then found a glaive on level 3 or 4 and spent the rest on that until I could handle it. I found a scale armor slightly after and pumped that, too. I didn't end up finding anything useful until a firebolt wand from the wizard NPC. I used to spend my upgrades on whatever weapon/armor I had, but it seems to pay off better to suffer a little at the beginning for bigger rewards with upgraded weapons at the end. A +6 or +7 glaive was taking huge chunks out of everything in the teens to 20's.

Do you guys usually clear out the whole level on 22/23/24? I usually find the enemies too bothersome and the treasures/drops not worth enough to really try to discover the whole level. I get a few health potion drops, but the evil eyes and sucubii get too annoying.

Eh, I've beaten it four or five times and I always 100% the levels. But you are right, it's much much better off saving your upgrade scrolls. I typically drop them when I start a level, clear it off and then move them so they don't accidentally burn up.

It's very possible to beat Goo with a set of un-upgraded weapon and armor. If you find a plate armor before you get to him you can just put it on and stand on water fight him standing still. Once I get a plate armor, I usually have enough upgrades to bring it down to a level I can wear anyways.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kemikalkadet posted:

So apparently if you use a scroll of terror in a shop it scares the shopkeeper and he takes all his stock with him :(

Welcome to Rogue-likes! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When you strike an enemy right after it comes through a door, it counts as a surprise attack which always hits 100%. Its the same status as when you strike an enemy that is asleep.

For another wraith trick position yourself so there's as few open spots as possible since they only spawn on open squares.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Close to it. There will be a lot of levels where the outer edge is jagged in a few places, and sometimes there are holes in the middle of the map, too. After you play for a while you'll figure out what kind of walls might have doors. Usually it's best to clear out the accessible rooms first and then look at the shape to see where you need to look, for example, dead-end hallways are likely to have a hidden door. The starting and ending rooms also seem to have a higher-than-normal chance. You can also use a potion of mind vision like poor-man's mapping scroll.

Also every floor has food on it and all the required "keys" to "obstacle rooms". If you don't find them, then there's a hidden room somwehere.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chas McGill posted:

I like the mace for its speed, especially if it has a brand. It's like a more powerful knuckleduster.

Its slower and regularly isn't fast enough to give two hits to the enemies one. When coupled with free runner or a ring of haste its really good.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nexus6 posted:

Had a really lucky run last night, beat Goo and Tengu and reached level 12 for only the second time so far. However I can't now load my saved game, every time I try I get this.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it or shall I just start again?

Have you force closed the game? If you are rooted you can open up the save file and see what's up, but I don't know how to salvage it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Babyface Mingo posted:

Pretty sure I just downloaded something for Pixel Dungeon. Anyone got any idea what it is?

What? New update came out a couple days ago.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Polo-Rican posted:

I think this is the first app I've ever downloaded that's "required no special permissions." That alone deserves a five-star rating.

Seriously, why do other games need access to everything?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I've been seeing more Crabs, and earlier, which sucks badly.

As a general rule I think Goo and DM300 are too much "brick wall" bosses. Goo requires a certain amount of luck that's a bit too high for how early you have to fight him, and DM300 is just straight up loving hard.

I think Tengu is about right, maybe a little too easy.

I'm also just not plain sure what I think about mid bosses in a roguelike at all. I like the NetHack/ADoM/ToME approach where you can beef up and come back to them.

It'd be cool if there were like, optional quest areas to get some more drops between bosses.

Oh and one more thing. gently caress the Fetid Rat. The ghost should give you the option of declining the quest, unless there's some way to tell which quest he'll give you before talking to him.

I have never lost to DM300. If I get to Goo, I almost always beat him. Change up your tactics a little.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Strange, it's been strength every time for me.

e:

If you're the Huntress, kill them with your boomerang. They always drop mystery meat. Otherwise, use the invisibility potion as mentioned.

Just to elaborate, you can throw something in the door way to block it open (or burn it down) and then peg them with the boomerang. It's handy that they drop mystery meat 100% of the time too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inudeku posted:

So I started out my first game with Assassin and I've got a really good weapon and ring (I deal up to 26 a surprise hit on depth 3.and a ring of evasion +2) and leather armor. What should be the main use of my Upgrade Scrolls? I'm still new to this and I hate to waste runs because I'm stupid.

You need better armor. Save them until you get a plate armor and then dump them all in. What weapon to you have?

If you are going to stock pile upgrade scrolls, make sure you leave them on the ground when you explore a level. Don't keep them on you because they could get burned up.

EDIT: Actually, the evasion ring is very powerful. IFrom reading the pixel dungeon wiki, if you can get it to +6, it look like you'd be nearly unstoppable.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 4, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inudeku posted:

I had a scale armor and didn't even realize it.

The weapon is a Sword+3 from the ghost. I wasn't sure if upgrading my ring over armor would be more beneficial or not

Doctor Butts is right. The ring of evasion is a legendary find. I'd save a scroll of upgrade for a well of transmutation, since you can then enchant your sword.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

andrew smash posted:

Remember there's no actual food clock, you just lose health. So there are non-food ways to mitigate that countdown.

You'll spend most of the game starving. Once you have a lot of HP it hardly matters anyways.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Eikre posted:

I'm thinking of recording and annotating one of my runs, as a sort of example of a successful play-style. I was thinking I would use one of the harder classes, either Huntress or Rogue, and maybe I could refrain from reading the Tome of Mastery until I beat the Tengu and earn it (which something I've been doing, recently). But maybe it would be better to record a fast-burn game where all the Upgrade scrolls get spent on chainmail and swords, to facilitate an easy Tengu run, and then a subsequent Tome of Mastery start, to show off early game use of Assassin or whatever?

I'm just sort of looking for something new to do with the game until the next patch. This game is great and still holds my attention, but it isn't that challenging anymore.

You could try challenge runs, like no potions of strength, but I think the game is far too difficult for that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

1. Yup, that's a standard of roguelikes.
2. Sometimes stench armor releases toxic gas when you are struck. This hurts both you and nearby enemies.
3. Rings of evasion/haste, plate/scale armor, war hammers/glaives/battle axes/knuckledusters, wands of firebolt. Sometimes other stuff is worth upgrading, but it's usually best to save it for the higher level items. It's worth upgrading the warrior's starting sword and the mage's starting wand as a single upgrade point can be transfered from them to another weapon/wand.

Also note that if you upgrade an enchanted weapon there's a chance you can lose the enchantment. There's a formula but I believe that once a weapon is upgraded to a level the same number as it's tier you then have a chance to loose the enchantment. Example:

Sword is a tier 3 weapon.
A stunning sword is also tier 3 weapon.
When you upgade the stunning sword to +1 it's ok. Same for +2 and +3.
Once it's upgrade level matches it's tier (in this case 3) then each upgrade has a change to remove the enchantment.

HOWEVER if the upgrade comes from the mage's wand or the warriors short sword, there is no risk of losing the enchantment. So it's always worth either keeping the sword or upgrading it asap.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nexus6 posted:

I just got killed on floor 7 with two +2 rings of evasion. I'd never found one before and then I found two. The previous game I died on floor 13 with +6 plate armor. This loving game. Time to start again!

Lol. How did you die? Plate mail +6 makes you extremely powerful. Especially only on floor 13.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Depending on your gear/inventory you might be able to make it.

One strategy that works:

Pop an earthroot down in the middle of the room and stand on it. Throw fire/poison seeds onto the two nearby squares (you'll notice he will step on one and summon friends), until you run out of them. Attack the dwarf king as much as you can. If he isn't moving toward the other platform with a seed, kill a skeleton and then he'll move.

Wear the best armor you can, of course, ideally with metabolism on it.

Even if you make it you're going to have a tough time with the next three levels.

There is almost no way you will beat the last three levels with no healing potions, unless you just run away from everything.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nexus6 posted:

How do I get enough? I've bought every health potion I've seen at a shop, farmed every fly I see by luring it into a large room and unequipping my main weapon and punching them, but still the most I ever had at one time was 7. I had to use loads in the dwarf city because everything does so much damage there.

After level 12 flies stop giving potions of healing and after 17 the vampire bats in the mines stop as well.

I don't know if there's a way to farm them in the Dwarven City, but there may be.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Warlocks can drop potions, including health and experience.

Wow, it's actually a decent drop rate:

Potion Probability
Potion of Healing 45/151 29.8 %
Potion of Experience 4/151 2.65 %
Potion of Toxic Gas 15/151 9.93 %
Potion of Paralytic Gas 10/151 6.62 %
Potion of Liquid Flame 15/151 9.93 %
Potion of Levitation 10/151 6.62 %
Potion of Strength 0/151 0 %
Potion of Mind Vision 20/151 13.25 %
Potion of Purification 12/151 7.95 %
Potion of Invisibility 10/151 6.62 %
Potion of Might 0/151 0 %
Potion of Frost 10/151 6.62 %

One in three chance of getting a healing potion. Not too bad. I typically farm about 30 from the flies before I leave the area so I've never had to worry. There was a change in the way generation of new flies effects potion spawning, so each successive generation of flies spawned has a lower rate of dropping a potion. The math still works out where if you kill more flies there's a higher total chance of getting more potions even if the individual chance of getting one potion is lower:

killing 1 generation-1 Swarm: 1/5 = 0.2 potions,
killing 2 generation-2 Swarms: 2/10 = 0.2 potions,
killing 4 generation-3 Swarms: 4/15 ≈ 0.2667 potions,
killing 8 generation-4 Swarms: 8/20 = 0.4 potions,
killing 16 generation-5 Swarms: 16/25 = 0.64 potions,

I don't know if his math is right, since in gen 2, it's 1/10 for each kill, not 1/10+1/10=2/10 for two kills, but he seems pretty convinced he's right.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MegaCharger posted:

We will have to agree to disagree. I just beat the game with warrior, had nothing but a normal leather armor until depth 12. I three shotted tengu with a warhammer +4 though.

The problem with ignoring armor and going for a good weapon right away are due to the differences in how being too weak to handle a weapon or armor are different. With an armor that is too heavy you only get a penalty when you walk, each step takes two or three turns. When standing still and fighting there's no downside, weapon attacks are at the normal rate. Wielding a weapon that is too heavy for you makes your attacks considerably inaccurate and reduces damage.

This means it much better to have a heavy armor early since you can slip it on and off when you enter and leave combat, but a heavy weapon is always a liability.

I prefer a better armor early on since you can cheese Goo with a low damage attack as long as you can outlast him. You won't have more than 12 or 13 strength when you get to him, and probably if you find a really good weapon you will not be at the level for it and you attacks will be very hard to land.

That said, if I don't get a decent armor by level three I just restart since the game is already hard enough I don't feel like wasting my time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

unprofessional posted:

Do you all choose a mastery as soon as you start a game, or wait a while? I picked battlemage and then found a sweet battle axe three rooms in and cursed at myself.

It depends, the Bezerker and Freerunner aren't very useful to me. For the Mage, I guess it depends on what kind of wands I get. I don't know the Huntress classes well enough to make a choice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lessthankyle posted:

I've been in the habit of choosing Warlock right off the bat with the mage. Tends to help keep my health up w/o needing to use any potions so I can score a handful of cheap ones at the first shop.

Somewhat related, would it make sense to have more class-specific (or, class-related) items spawn during any given game? I just got up to Yog-Dzewa with a Warlock but didn't find a single wand during the game (I got a +1 wand of avalanche from the NPC on L.7 or so). I had pockets full of gold from finding endless high-tier weapons, but nothing really useful. You can put together a character who can slog through the levels, but it feels a little lacking, gameplay wise.

They don't sell wands in the shop so it makes the Wizard really dependent on drops. However, you are guaranteed one nice wand, and then typically a quest gives one.

Pro tip: drop and pick up the want twenty times real quick and it bugs out and recharges every turn.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

For the record, the warlock's ability only works if he gains experience for killing a monster, so you can't hang around forever and do this.

Did not know that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Seravadon posted:

Was there a change made to armor? The ghost gave me plate armor on floor two on my last run through so I thought I was set. got to floor three and put on the armor to take on a crab... and it was still doing 4-5 damage to me. I looked at the armor description which said it should be absorbing 15 damage but also noticed a line I never saw before. "Your low strength reduces the defensive effectiveness of this armor." Something similar to that.

Is popping on heavy armor for a fight no longer a valid strategy? :ohdear:

Dunno, but they did nerf plate armor (and buff scale armor) in the last patch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Yeah, then you have to spend a turn picking it up and another turn equipping it. It should be pretty obvious when it happens, because your weapon will suddenly appear on a tab in the upper-right.

I don't think they can knock a knuckeduster away.

I wonder if he has any plans to make wands do their effect when you do a melee attack with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bandire posted:

The worst part is when you have a full inventory and have to throw something in order to even pick the weapon up.

HAHAHHAHAA. I typically carry a backup weapon for these floors since it happens all the time and you can save a turn by not picking it up and then equipping it.

• Locked thread