Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks for using my thread title suggestion! :)

Civil posted:

NPC quests:

The goblin blacksmith quest has potential, but it currently sucks. "Dark Gold" refers to the gold embedded in the walls on that level, and you just travel around the level and use the pickaxe to grab 15 different pieces. The forging service that the goblin offers only works on two weapons or armors (I think both) that are both identified, and will increase the better item by +1.

:eng101: Actually, it's a Troll blacksmith. He can reforge any two (identical) weapons, armors, wands, or rings. Kinda lovely at the moment as you say, since by the time you reach him you'll almost certainly have a good weapon and armor already (or else you wouldn't have made it there). I haven't actually had the chance to try a wand or ring forging yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They don't have to be identical, just the same item. If you have a +4 plate and a +0 plate you'll get a +5 plate. It's totally worth doing if you have two of a good item. I've tried using the pickaxe on other things and it doesn't seem to do anything. You can mine more ore, but all it does is sell for 1g each.

Ohhhh, that does make things better, especially since there's always a suit of armor generated in the room with him.

I noticed in a game earlier today that there can be levels generated where a room is inaccessible because of chasms blocking your way to the door. A Potion of Levitation wasn't on the level either. Though it did teach me that you can use chasms to fall to the next floor, though it does a ton of damage (around 33 I believe when I did it).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Did you search for a door? There should be a hidden door somewhere to get to that room. I've had a couple like that.

I spent like 20 minutes searching every space, yeah. It was doubly annoying because the room I couldn't get to was also the only place an Iron Key I needed was. It was in the 11-14 zone, and the room had doors on the North, South and East sides, with chasms blocking the way to the middle of the room to get to the East door.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, one piece of conventional wisdom I disagree with: I would argue that Wizard is actually the easiest class, for one very important reason: a guaranteed Wand of Magic Missile means Wizards are the only class that can reliably, without fear, search gravestones and bones piles because Wraiths always only have 1 HP and wands never miss, whereas trying to melee Wraiths can be time consuming at best and fatal often. Since gravestones/bones piles are a reliable source of weapons/armor/items (rooms with a lone gravestone always have a suit of armor) and they're much more prevalent than they used to be (due to "graveyard" rooms and bones piles just plain never existing before 1.3) this is a very good thing, making the journey to Goo and beyond significantly easier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

unprofessional posted:

[/spoiler]
Why unequip?

You want to do as little damage as possible so that they split more often and thus drop more pots.

andrew smash posted:

Unless something changed you can guarantee a melee hit by luring your target to a door.

Oh, yeah, true, but it's much harder to do that with a group of Wraiths than wanding them, especially if you run into another enemy while trying to put a door between you and the next Wraith. You can only surprise one per door generally, so if you have four of them on your rear end, you can get stuck between them and something else and get whacked.

For single-Wraiths from a bones pile though, it's no big, yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm going to email Watabou yet again begging him to add in the ability to have more than one quickslot. It's driving me insane that he hasn't done that. Having to go to Inventory every time I want to zap a different wand than what I have equipped adds no strategy or depth, just busywork. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The biggest tip I found early game is the equip the best armor you find regardless of strength whenever you enter combat. The armor penalty applies whenever you move, so it you are standing still trading melee blows with an enemy you don't have any penalty, only the benefit of increased armor.

Are you sure? Because I'm 99% certain that monsters get more attacks against you when you have heavy armor equipped. Actually I'm 100% sure of it. But, as you say, it's almost always worth the tradeoff, especially with Scale/Plate armor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenin posted:

Indeed. It's just that putting on armor in front of an enemy takes several turns.

I guess that's what was confusing me. It seems odd, but means the game isn't nearly as unforgiving as I thought.

One thing I've noticed too is that the chance of finding rings is pretty low compared to everything else, most games it takes me quite a while to even find a single ring.

I'm also not really convinced there's any point in playing Berserker. Assassin also doesn't seem balanced to be as powerful as Freerunner. Battlemage and Warlock are both very useful, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahhh, I thought Freerunner got the speed bonus as long as you're not Starving, that would explain why it seemed to be inconsistent.

And yeah, I won a game as a Warlock the other day just using a Blazing Knuckleduster the whole game with highly enchanted wands of Disintegrate/Lightning/Fire. "Fast" weapons are the best.

What's the best trick for beating the third boss? It seems like I just get lucky or get smashed, no real middle ground.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Generally speaking, if you can make it past Goo, the only realistic obstacles to winning are the third and fourth bosses; the actual regular dungeon monsters become trivial as you buy/find plenty of healing pots and upgrade scrolls.

Gonna suggest Watabou add artifact weapons and harder monsters to the endgame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I haven't played since the final floor was 15 (after killing that boss, floor 16 was just a sign reading "more coming!"), but if it's still the same the heavy armor allows the enemy to have more attacks if you move a space. Basically it takes you longer to move so the enemy gets extra rounds. Does swinging with a weapon you don't have the strength for still also give the enemy more attacks? The few times I had beaten the game it was by finding a glaive or halberd or whatever early, and just hoping to kill the enemy on the first swing.

Equipping a weapon that's too heavy makes you less accurate with it. It might also slow you down, but I'm not sure of that part.

Also, yeah, don't buy Ankhs. The only time I would buy an Ankh is if you find a lot of bones piles with gold, I guess.

I'm going to email Watabou about the quickslot thing, and also that Ankhs should be more expensive/more rare and act as literal "extra lives" like Amulets of Life Saving in NetHack, because what they do now is not worth how expensive they are at all, since Healing Pots fully heal you anyway.

And yeah, donate donate donate! I've donated $10 and will probably donate more. I really want the guy to succeed as a phone game maker because Pixel Dungeon is just fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The dew vial makes the Huntress more than just "a challenge class" now! Also her weird infravision is handy.

I decided to see if it's viable to go Sniper and upgrade the crap out of the boomerang and... It's alright. I feel like, especially since it can't be disenchanted, the 'rang should get much better with high enchant levels.

I have no idea why Watabou refuses to add extra quick slots. At least have one for wands and one for missiles...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every time I go Battle mage, I find good weapons and no wands. RNG! :argh:

Is there, realistically, any reason to go Berserker? The rage bonus doesn't seem very impressive compared to the fact you have to put yourself in the exact position you normally want to avoid in order to get it, whereas the Gladiator's combos get positively ridiculous later on.

Maybe give Berserkers more max HP so they don't have to keep letting mobs hit them to have a use.

Has anyone brought this thread to Watabou's attention? I think SA sadly has the biggest organized fanbase of anywhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well what I find usually happens is the Rage bonus kicks in, but either:

- I quaff a healing pot right away (I know the bonus stays active even if you do this, but...)

- I don't have a pot and the rage bonus isn't enough to kill the mob before I die anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been seeing more Crabs, and earlier, which sucks badly.

As a general rule I think Goo and DM300 are too much "brick wall" bosses. Goo requires a certain amount of luck that's a bit too high for how early you have to fight him, and DM300 is just straight up loving hard.

I think Tengu is about right, maybe a little too easy.

I'm also just not plain sure what I think about mid bosses in a roguelike at all. I like the NetHack/ADoM/ToME approach where you can beef up and come back to them.

It'd be cool if there were like, optional quest areas to get some more drops between bosses.

Oh and one more thing. gently caress the Fetid Rat. The ghost should give you the option of declining the quest, unless there's some way to tell which quest he'll give you before talking to him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I the only person that keeps loving forgetting I can zoom out/in? I waste so much time scrolling around.

Am I also correct that the "room literally full of traps with no treasure or guaranteed way through" doesn't spawn any specific item to "pass" it? I keep seeing those rooms, but never get a !oLevitation on the same floor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Smee posted:

Did this whole "the dungeon is more dangerous at night" thing start with the latest patch? Seems to be based on your current timezone, and there's definitely increased spawns (second room of the second floor when I started playing last night was full of 4 gnoll scouts who promptly made a casserole of my face)

It's a couple updates old, but now it's balanced so that there are more mobs but also more loot. Honestly the better loot + more XP from more monsters kind of makes it easier if you ask me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frogmanv2 posted:

just throw darts to trigger the traps

Well yeah, but I usually run out of projectiles very quickly and sometimes don't find any new ones. Just seems weird that it's the only "dangerous special room" without a guaranteed drop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ezzer posted:

I don't understand how anyone dies to Goo unless you just don't find a single earthroot seed.

Unless I'm playing Huntress, I have a lot of games where I don't find an Earthroot or Plate Armor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Mystery Meat really provide enough nutrition to take the time to kill them?

That said, holy poo poo why did I never think of doing that with the Huntress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, how long has the Ring of Haggling existed? :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chas McGill posted:

The ghost just gave me +3 plate. Every other time it's been cloth armour. gently caress yes.

I've gotten +5 Scale from him before. :iia:

I gotta disagree with the Wall of Spoilers and say that getting good armor is absolutely the first priority. Sewer Crabs will ruin your day starting on level three. I've gotten past Tengu just using the starting weapon, but never gotten past Tengu without at least Mail Armor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seravadon posted:

I really wish they'd just remove normal cloth armor from the ghost's armor list. I understand it's a roguelike but it really is just a kick in the dick how often you end up getting starter armor from him.

While I agree that Watabou should take Cloth Armor completely out of his reward table, I think you've just angered the RNG Gods because I've only gotten Cloth from him a couple times. I'd say that most of the time, in fact, I get Mail or better, but maybe that's just me being lucky.

Also, the Fetid Rat version of the quest should give a better reward. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That one's actually better because the rat is guaranteed to show up as opposed to the 1/8 chance of the rose dropping. If you alternate moving and attacking he won't paralyze you. I think if you attack him diagonally it won't get you either, but I haven't tested that.

That's true. The diagonal trick doesn't work as of the latest version, I tried it last night and after I got a hit or two in I was suddenly paralyzed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Not a viking posted:

Just paid for this after it has entertained me at my commute for several weeks. And I didn't even knew I liked roguelikes! Actual graphics is a bonus.

Most roguelikes have graphics these days!

That said, give some serious thought to grabbing Desktop Dungeons on Steam. The Alpha is still free, but the finished game is absolutely gorgeous and addictive. And you can play a whole dungeon run in 10-20 minutes. It's more of a strategy board game/roguelike hybrid, but it is very very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had a weird bug I emailed Watabou about :

Basically, I was surrounded and read a scroll of Teleportation. I suddenly couldn't see my character on the map, though I could see some "zzz"s in unexplored black space. I tapped near one and suddenly my character was there and the room was visible.

I think it happened because the room I teleported into hadn't been explored and also was only accessible via a secret door I hadn't found, but who knows. It was weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seravadon posted:

As long as I find at least some sort of armor upgrade, even leather, I try to take on the Goo. Since skeletons have a chance to drop weapons your chances of getting a good weapon in the next area are much better. Just try not to waste your upgrade scrolls until you get something really good.

To second this, it seems like the drop rate for weapons from Skeletons is quite high, and they're not very dangerous so farming for a weapon is very do-able.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I only did it once and that was with the Sniper. It doesn't tell you this, but the Sniper also attacks faster with ranged weapons. I bumped up the boomerang to +8 and used it even when in melee range. It probably helped that the last quest gave me a +4 ring of accuracy but I was doing fine before that, too. Open doors by throwing things (not the boomerang) at them and then hit enemies from far away. A slowing wand or wand of blink will also help you keep your distance.

A Sniper with a high level Ring of Haste is loving nuts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He needs to do something about the ranged weapon situation. Even the highest-tier ones do awful damage. I think it would be nice if there was a chance of them not disappearing on a successful hit (maybe a significantly higher chance of that if you're a Huntress).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lost a Battlemage with a +7 Wand of Disintegration and +5 Scale Armor to DM300. Burned through all my resources, still got steamrolled. I officially think that boss is bullshit. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

andrew smash posted:

You're doing something wrong, I think I've only died to that boss once

I just didn't really have much, I think I only had 3 Healing Potions, no Earthroot, no real tricks.

However I did literally just now beat him with an Assassin without taking a single hit - I think Stunning weapons may be broken, because the proc rate for them seems to be 100% or very close to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I save Upgrades for armor, either Scale or Plate, until it's +2, then work on a weapon.

Unless the only good weapon I find is way too heavy and I haven't found many Strength pots.

Rings are low priority, unless it's Haste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of saving things up and wands, if you find a wand of firebolt or lightning, save up Arcane Styluses and use them to make armor of Bounce, I'd say it's even better than Metabolism because it also makes it easy to run from tough enemies (like Dwarven Monks, gently caress those guys).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know if he intentionally made it easier or I got insanely lucky, because the first game I started with the new version, I've found six scrolls of Upgrade and a Plate Armor +2 (as well as Mail and Scale), the ghost gave me a +2 Battleaxe, so I'm on floor 7 and already have Plate +5, Axe +5, a potion of Experience, 6 potions of Healing and a scroll of Upgrade to spare. I killed Goo in 3 hits - I think the damage bonus for Gladiator might be better now too.

The Dew Vial isn't always on the first level now apparently, I found it on level 2.

The weird floor layouts make it a bit harder to fully explore, but it's not as bad as I thought it might be, it's still generally easy to tell where the are or could be secret doors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This may be a bug. Can you burn it down with a potion?

Yep, it's definitely intentional, if you examine it it says something like "maybe you could burn it" and there's a Potion of Liquid Flame generated on the floor.

Also, man, that Journal is awesome, I hate having to remember where special rooms are.

edit: Aaaaaand easily ascended said first game of the update. It was by far the easiest run I've ever had, the demon halls were a piece of cake and I ended with 7 or 8 healing pots to spare. I didn't even have a great ring, just a +4 Ring of Shadows and a +1 Ring of Detection (never had one of these before, it expands your search area to 3 squares in every direction, making finding secret doors and traps much easier)

precision fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 21, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't really studied it too much but I'm pretty sure all levels are still roughly the same size, so you mostly CAN tell if you've explored the whole floor or not.

Either a secret door will block off more than one room, in which case it's obvious, or it will be at the end of a hallway, which is also obvious. I didn't have much issue with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've got a Warlock going that's doing very well. I swear this latest update is easier, I'm just finding much better items in general all over the place.

It would also appear that the entire "the dungeon is more dangerous at night" mechanic is gone, and good riddance.

edit: Just play Sniper like you would anything else, except power up your Boomerang a lot; I'd say it's easier than Warden, the Armor buff Wardens get seems pretty minor. On that note, too, I wish the Warlock's heal-on-kill would scale with your level, because it hardly makes any difference at all past level 7 or so.

precision fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 26, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Since the update I've gotten a crystal chest set on the first floor in my first five or six runs. Strange randomness to this game sometimes.

I've seen at least two Battleaxes and 2-3 pairs of Scale Armor since the update, in every game, always before level 15. I think he adjusted the drop rate for weapons/armor.

Also been drowning in Potions of Strength, hitting 16 Strength by floor 10 almost every time.

On the other hand, some monsters seem to do quite a bit more damage now. Gnoll Brutes and Cave Spinners, I'm looking at you. +3 Scale used to be enough to trivialize them, last night I got massacred by them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think that takes into account Alchemy rooms, I've found 2 Potions of Strength in a single Alchemy room before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really think the Dew Vial should just start in the player's inventory. Maybe only after finding it once, like the skill books, but really there's no reason to put it on the floor since it's a guaranteed item. It's bad enough that now you might not even find it until level 4.

• Locked thread