Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Marvel removing Moore's name is interesting. I wondered about that, since my local comic shop's owners were hyping the book saying it's some of Moore's best writing, which confused me since his name was nowhere to be found.

Been an interesting read, and Moore's deconstruction theme should keep things engaging.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NotAnArtist posted:

Marvel removing Moore's name is interesting. I wondered about that, since my local comic shop's owners were hyping the book saying it's some of Moore's best writing, which confused me since his name was nowhere to be found.

Been an interesting read, and Moore's deconstruction theme should keep things engaging.

They don't want a giant snake to appear in the Marvel offices and eat Matt Fraction.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

NotAnArtist posted:

Moore doesn't wish for his name to be involved so Marvel is respecting his wishes. I'm not sure if that just applies to MiracleMan or if it is because Moore is done with the Big Two.

On a side not, I haven't bought a floppy in many years but I broke down and decided that I can't trade-wait this. I loved the first issue and can't wait to see where this goes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Moore having his named removed is a small bit of a story of his bigger issues with the Big 2.

Basically after all his trouble with DC Moore had sworn off ever dealing with any of the big comic companies. Joe Quesada when he was EiC of Marvel flew to England to talk to Moore face to face and swear that Marvel will never mess him around the way DC did. They were to work together and get more Moore books on shelves and then the very next thing of Moore's that Marvel published was a Captain Britain reprint and there was a printing error and Moore's name was removed from the credits of the book. Which despite being an actual printing error Moore swore off ever dealing with Marvel since if you can't believe the EiC talking to you face to face why bother. Despite all of this Marvel are doing their best to stand by his wishes and not bother him with MiracleMan stuff.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Waterhaul posted:

The Moore having his named removed is a small bit of a story of his bigger issues with the Big 2.

Basically after all his trouble with DC Moore had sworn off ever dealing with any of the big comic companies. Joe Quesada when he was EiC of Marvel flew to England to talk to Moore face to face and swear that Marvel will never mess him around the way DC did. They were to work together and get more Moore books on shelves and then the very next thing of Moore's that Marvel published was a Captain Britain reprint and there was a printing error and Moore's name was removed from the credits of the book. Which despite being an actual printing error Moore swore off ever dealing with Marvel since if you can't believe the EiC talking to you face to face why bother. Despite all of this Marvel are doing their best to stand by his wishes and not bother him with MiracleMan stuff.

My big takeaway from the first issue and this is that Joe Quasada is a cool dude.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah people like to poo poo talk Quesada a lot because of some character choices he instated that they don't like but the guy seems like a really genuine guy and is easily the best thing to happen to Marvel in years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

One thing I'm still unclear about: I know they're leaving his name off the book, and I know the legal situation was a huge quagmire, but did Marvel have to still get permission from Alan Moore to do the reprints or does someone else own those rights?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

One thing I'm still unclear about : I know they're leaving his name off the book, and I know the legal situation was a huge quagmire, but did Marvel have to still get permission from Alan Moore to do the reprints or does someone else own those rights?

The way the MiracleMan rights ended up being sorted, which i'm sure was a lot to do with Disney lawyers was that Mike Anglo had always owned all of the rights to the character and everything else was people claiming ownership which wasn't true.

Here's what Moore has to say on it.

quote:

PÓM: OK. The only other thing about your previous work is, do you keep up with what’s going on with the Marvelman Miracleman debacle?

AM: Nah. I mean, other than the fact that I was happy to do everything that I could to help Mick Anglo, who is the person who has always owned all of the rights to Marvelman, as far as I now understand it, that we never had the rights to do those stories, even though Mick really liked the stories that we did. We didn’t understand at the time that Mick Anglo was the sole owner of the rights. We were misled. So I’ve done everything that I can to clear all that up. I’ve said that, they talked about the possibility – what they want is money quickly, because Mick’s a very old man, he’s got a sick wife to look after, and they could use some dosh quite quickly.
I mean, I believe that the Todd McFarlane thing, his ridiculous claims to the character have now been dropped, so it can move on. I believe that they’re going to be reprinting some of my stuff, but I’m not sure of all the details, I’ve just said, “Yeah, go ahead,” and all the money from the first book, from the first printing of the book, should go to Mick Anglo. They’ve also said that what if there’s a possibility of some animated Marvelman cartoons, and I’ve said, again, “Don’t put me name on them, and give all the money to Mick Anglo.” So I hope that some of it turns up in time to do Mick some good, because he’s a great artist, you know, the British comics scene would be poorer without him, and I’m making great use of Captain Universe – oh, I’ve given it away!

source

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

This has all been pretty informative, thanks!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So now that Mick Anglo has passed on, where does the money go?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

coconono posted:

So now that Mick Anglo has passed on, where does the money go?

His estate, one assumes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

His estate, one assumes.

not sure what the estate laws and taxes are like in the UK but in the US that translates to the government.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

No one wants to talk about issue #2? My LCBS ran out so I will be waiting until next week to pick up my copy. :(

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Happy Hippo posted:

No one wants to talk about issue #2? My LCBS ran out so I will be waiting until next week to pick up my copy. :(
For the second week in a row my LCS didn't even bother ordering the title, so I'm just going to wait for the trade to come out and get a digital copy since the price is pretty steep for a weekly comic.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

drat, that's unfortunate. Makes me grateful for the fact that my local store's owners are gigantic Moore fans. Without the thread's activity I wouldn't have known the second book was out, thanks.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

For the second week in a row my LCS didn't even bother ordering the title, so I'm just going to wait for the trade to come out and get a digital copy since the price is pretty steep for a weekly comic.

I'm pretty sure its shipping twice a month, not weekly. For a while, at least.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Happy Hippo posted:

They didn't have issue #2 but they had an issue of #1 they saved for me after the fact that I came in and asked for it launch week; I told them not to order anymore since they aren't ordering them on time anyway I might as well just wait for trade or buy it digital. It's not the first time I've had issues with my LCS, they used to wait until Friday to put new comics out :v:

Hopefully the trade isn't something silly like $35 or something since the price of the comics themselves are pretty steep.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
So this is my first time going through the run, and I'm really liking it a lot so far. I know Moore's been good at getting across a sense of dread just based on his later work, but the atmosphere in this so far really stands out. There's almost no sense of joy or catharsis, and I'm not saying any of this as a negative. I'm loving the feel of the book, and while it may not necessarily be the newest atmosphere for a writer to evoke, it's incredibly executed here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So is there a reason they printed the stories 3, 5, 4 in this issue besides just to make the narrative read better?

Also, while it's neat to have the old Marvelman original backups, wow, I just cannot even enjoy them from a old cheesy Silver Age standpoint. They just seem so bad even in comparison to their obvious inspiration, Captain Marvel. I like that the "Origin of Kid Marvelman" isn't an origin at all. It's just a box saying "Marvelman gave this kid powers!" and then Kid Marvelman beating the hell out of some crooked cops.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten how quickly the story takes off.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm like 90% sure that it's just this month and maybe next.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I've got to wait another damned month for number three to be released, ugh. I've been enjoying the title so far, and I'm really grateful that the plot point I inadvertently spoiled foe myself on the wiki page was revealed in-comic in the second issue.

I was a little concerned with the way the plot is being advanced in the second issue, but it does a good job of foreshadowing future events without breaking the overall flow.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Also, while it's neat to have the old Marvelman original backups, wow, I just cannot even enjoy them from a old cheesy Silver Age standpoint. They just seem so bad even in comparison to their obvious inspiration, Captain Marvel. I like that the "Origin of Kid Marvelman" isn't an origin at all. It's just a box saying "Marvelman gave this kid powers!" and then Kid Marvelman beating the hell out of some crooked cops.

I did end up quite enjoying the origin of Marvelman story, I think because its cheery depiction of superpower-giving atomic weapons gives it a sinister edge in hindsight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

These are new colors on the series right? It looks way too crisp for it to be a copy of the original. I might just not have much experience with reprints though since my "oldest" books are V for Vendetta and Watchmen which look kind of bad because DC doesn't care.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Len posted:

These are new colors on the series right? It looks way too crisp for it to be a copy of the original. I might just not have much experience with reprints though since my "oldest" books are V for Vendetta and Watchmen which look kind of bad because DC doesn't care.
Yeah, they're new colors, and it's a massive improvement. The original colors were an abomination.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While I can understand why they're there, I can't help but feel that the extra classic MM stories are just driving the books price up.

I am glad how fast the book is moving though.

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!
It's worth mentioning that the vintage story is drawn by Don Lawrence, of later well-deserved fame surrounding Trigian Empire and Storm. He had a strong influence on UK artists like Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons, which brings things full circle in a way.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Well, I had no idea this was happening and was just yesterday looking online and lamenting the cost of the original three Miracleman trades, so hell yeah.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

NotAnArtist posted:

I wondered about that, since my local comic shop's owners were hyping the book saying it's some of Moore's best writing, which confused me since his name was nowhere to be found.

I kinda suffered from this a little bit. I'm only just getting back into comics as a whole, and I never really was that knowledgeable about them previously, so after hearing the hype about MiracleMan I went and picked it up anyway and was left feeling a little confused as to if it even was Moore's stuff (due to the lack of credit). Glad I picked it up though, the old stuff is campy, but the first two proper issues has been awesome.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So Issue 3 came out this week and I'm pretty surprised at how quickly Miracleman/Kid Miracle fought and we've moved onto the government attempting to deal with supers and the whole baby stuff.

I'm not quite sure where Moore is coming from but it's a quick change of pace from issue 1.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I gotta say I'm honestly really impressed with the story so far. I was the world's biggest cynic going into this after seeing so much praise heaped upon Marvel/Miracleman for years now and I thought there was no way it could live up to the hype. But... well it pretty much has. Oh and that one panel of "I'm pregnant and the baby isn't yours it's Miracleman's" "What?" is comedy gold.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I think when considering pace in Miracleman early on it's important to remember that when it was originally serialised in Warrior it was in smaller bits.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I didn't even know they were doing this :aaaaa:

Are they going to be reprinting everything? Even the Apocrypha stuff?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I didn't even know they were doing this :aaaaa:

Are they going to be reprinting everything? Even the Apocrypha stuff?

Wrong thread, bro. But yeah, they plan to reprint everything and some new stuff by Neil Gaiman once that's done.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

They don't want a giant snake to appear in the Marvel offices and eat Matt Fraction.

Yes they do.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I think when considering pace in Miracleman early on it's important to remember that when it was originally serialised in Warrior it was in smaller bits.

Yeah, every issue has, like, three actual issues right? We've gone through a year of Miracleman already, I think.

Also I giggled on the baby thing. Then it hit like a monster truck. This issue was an amazing way to tackle secret identities.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I loved Mike Moran's little deduction of Johnny's true nature.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, every issue has, like, three actual issues right? We've gone through a year of Miracleman already, I think.
Issues 1-6 were reprints of the Warrior stuff, Miracleman #7 and beyond were released as full-sized comics.

But the timing's a bit off, we're only through Miracleman #2 as it was originally released.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Why isn't this thread bumped? Get your Miracleman on, fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

So where is the reprint up too story wise?

• Locked thread