Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, man, I think Moore recognized it has flaws, considering MM outright states it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Soooooo I just finished the latest issue. I know more is coming, specifically with Gaiman, but the book could have ended there, with ''we fixed everything and now our only enemy is ennui,'' no?

It's about the worst ''happy'' ending I could think of.

Edit: I understand that the book DID end Moore's run, I just don't know where else it could all go.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 10, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I also just finished the issue a few minutes ago. I was wondering where this book was going after this issue after they claimed to have solved everything. So I wasn't surprised to see that this was the end of The Original Author's run. I just wonder what Gaimen did with it, and it'll be interesting to see how he can finish his story. Does anyone know when he is going to start introducing his new issues? Like how many months?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, man, I think Moore recognized it has flaws, considering MM outright states it.

Yeah, I don't think he would have handed Gaiman the reins if he thought the world MiracleMan made was a true utopia, what stories could you even tell if that were the case? It's just, in his view, the logical conclusion to a character like Miracleman existing in our flawed world and trying to help.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The one weird thing I thought in the whole course of the issue was when Miracleman told the British PM how they were going to restructure government/etc and acted like kind of a dick about it, Miraclewoman goes "Hey Mike don't be a dick", yet only a couple of pages later she's the one going "gently caress their free will we're going to make Earth great".

Other than that it was... alright. It was certainly Alan Moore as gently caress though, and some of the ideas were certainly pretty dumb ("We'll just legalize all drugs and drug problems will disappear! Wait, strike that, we'll have people get so bombed out of their skulls, children will want to grow up to be meth addicts psychonauts"). Also there were way too many naked babies for my taste (I mean I guess he was going for a cherub thing but frankly I felt less skeevy reading the sequence of Miracleman loving in the sky than seeing a bunch of floating superbabies help a woman give birth to another superbaby). Also:

loving really?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

The one weird thing I thought in the whole course of the issue was when Miracleman told the British PM how they were going to restructure government/etc and acted like kind of a dick about it, Miraclewoman goes "Hey Mike don't be a dick", yet only a couple of pages later she's the one going "gently caress their free will we're going to make Earth great".

Miraclewoman's point wasn't about their free will, which is immaterial, it was about not terrifying and bullying these people that are so beneath them. You tell a child what to do, but you don't make him feel lovely about it. They're supposed to be better than petty political grudges, as justified as they might be (Thatcher was a monster).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TwoPair posted:

Other than that it was... alright. It was certainly Alan Moore as gently caress though, and some of the ideas were certainly pretty dumb ("We'll just legalize all drugs and drug problems will disappear! Wait, strike that, we'll have people get so bombed out of their skulls, children will want to grow up to be meth addicts psychonauts").
That one's bad, but to my taste the worst is still "we're getting rid of money, except that we're still going to have some way to store value because we're going to be transfering it between nations (please forget for the duration of this sentence that we're getting rid of all governments and there won't be nations any more), also we're still going to pay people for doing work somehow, but to sum up EVERYTHING IS FREE".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, all utopias crafted by people who are halfway intelligent acknowledge that they have problems. It's not a happy ending, but an outcome to the events of the narrative. The biggest red flag is "Miracle Man" deciding that Mike is dead and that Miracle Man is something better. He's nuts, dude. Life is just an endless series of imperfect compromises. Look at the next utopia Moore ended with at DC, for example.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No, clearly Alan Moore is a big dummy who didn't think his story through, instead of a guy knowingly portraying an imperfect dramatic social change brought about by a weird alien hybrid.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, all utopias crafted by people who are halfway intelligent acknowledge that they have problems. It's not a happy ending, but an outcome to the events of the narrative. The biggest red flag is "Miracle Man" deciding that Mike is dead and that Miracle Man is something better. He's nuts, dude. Life is just an endless series of imperfect compromises. Look at the next utopia Moore ended with at DC, for example.

Miracle Man didn't decide Mike was dead, Mike did. Did you not read the issue where that happened?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I really liked MM's ''buuuuuhhhhhhh why my wife no want perfection does not compute?''

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

Miracle Man didn't decide Mike was dead, Mike did. Did you not read the issue where that happened?

Well, we are getting this part of the story from a somewhat unreliable narrator, to say the least. He's such a benevolent god, to choose never to bring him back to life, too.

I think it works well with either reading, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Here's a thought, does Miracleman avoid Norse mythology enthusiasts like the plague considering his weakness? Also as for the super baby thing, what annoyed me was the fact that like so many super intelligent children in fiction, Winter just comes off as annoying.

Lurdiak posted:

Miraclewoman's point wasn't about their free will, which is immaterial, it was about not terrifying and bullying these people that are so beneath them. You tell a child what to do, but you don't make him feel lovely about it. They're supposed to be better than petty political grudges, as justified as they might be (Thatcher was a monster).

I like to think Mike voted labor and that kind of bled through to Miracleman. I also was giggling about the psychonaut thing, I refuse to believe when omnipotent super being is a viable career that any kid would want to grow up to be a meth head.

• Locked thread