Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

So what exactly is the basic reason that broadband is so expensive in the US? Is it that ISPs are unwilling to build new infrastructure because of monopolism, or is it something else? I recently read this article claiming it's local governments setting up barriers to building new infrastructure, however the guys who wrote it run a think tank affiliated with people like the Cato Institute, Heritage Foundation and the usual suspects.

http://www.wired.com/2013/07/we-need-to-stop-focusing-on-just-cable-companies-and-blame-local-government-for-dismal-broadband-competition/

IS broadband in America actually expensive compared to most of the world when you adjust prices for buying power in the first place though? And no, you don't get to compare broadband in some random hick town in the US with some major city in another country, which would naturally tend to get the most performance for the least price in that country either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Windows posted:

IS broadband in America actually expensive compared to most of the world when you adjust prices for buying power in the first place though? And no, you don't get to compare broadband in some random hick town in the US with some major city in another country, which would naturally tend to get the most performance for the least price in that country either.

It's surprisingly hard to find but from what I'm able to tell the largest ISP in Germany is a DSL provider, not anything related to fiber.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

icantfindaname posted:

So what exactly is the basic reason that broadband is so expensive in the US?
They do this tricky thing called "shoveling money into their pockets while building as little as possible". Then they use local governments and real estate deals to lock in areas they "own". Then they dare you to find somewhere else to go. Then they figure out how to raise prices while not delivering anything new at all. (Like say, for example, this whole "kill net neutrality" fight.)

Then they sit back and laugh while the idiotlogically motivated people do PR for them for free. (Sometimes here on this very forum!)

Even Forbes is on to this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rajsabhlok/2014/05/13/forget-net-neutrality-why-are-americans-getting-screwed-by-internet-fees/

quote:

So what’s the deal — why do we pay so much for the Internet? The simple answer is supply and demand. There are limited suppliers (i.e., ISPs). In many markets, there is only one broadband provider, typically AT&T or Comcast. Essentially, these two providers form a duopoly that controls the market price for service. The FCC proposal only feeds this duopoly.

According to a New America Foundation report, the most affordable and fastest connections are available in markets where there are at least three providers to choose from. Unfortunately, only nine percent of Americans have that option.

quote:

This research echoes the findings of another report earlier in the summer by the OECD, which compared countries in terms of their broadband-only prices. Across all 10 download speeds and capacities, it consistently ranked the US near the bottom.

"We deregulated high-speed internet access 10 years ago and since then we've seen enormous consolidation and monopolies, so left to their own devices, companies that supply internet access will charge high prices, because they face neither competition nor oversight."

Ignore the idiots defending deregulation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/28/the-price-of-internet-is-too-high/

quote:

Americans are still paying through the nose for what residents in some cities overseas get at a substantially lower rate.

In American cities like New York, you can buy a 500 Mbps connection that's 58 times faster than the U.S. average. Here's the catch: It'll cost you $300 a month, according to the New America Foundation's Cost of Connectivity report. In Amsterdam, however, the same connection can be had for around $86.

The same discrepancies hold when you move down the speed ladder, said New America's Nick Russo.

"People may be opting for similar speeds [compared to foreigners] — and that may be what the average speed is — but they're often paying more for it in the United States," he said.

In Seoul, a triple-play package for phone, TV and Internet at speeds of 100 Mbps for both uploads and downloads will run you $35 a month. By contrast, Verizon will charge New Yorkers $70 a month for a triple-play package with Internet at 15 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up on its FiOS service. Verizon's Internet is both more expensive and slower at the same time.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"We deregulated high-speed internet access 10 years ago" is a bullshit quote because high speed internet access was never in a regulation regime.

It's also really funny to knowingly use broadband package only prices when the standing policy in this country is for double or triple play services.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 17, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Good thing literally everyone who wants internet service also wants cable TV and land line phone service.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Install Windows posted:

"We deregulated high-speed internet access 10 years ago" is a bullshit quote because high speed internet access was never in a regulation regime.

It's also really funny to knowingly use broadband package only prices when the standing policy in this country is for double or triple play services.

Triple play pricing is in the quote though?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ShutteredIn posted:

Triple play pricing is in the quote though?

"This research echoes the findings of another report earlier in the summer by the OECD, which compared countries in terms of their broadband-only prices. Across all 10 download speeds and capacities, it consistently ranked the US near the bottom."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Install Windows posted:

"This research echoes the findings of another report earlier in the summer by the OECD, which compared countries in terms of their broadband-only prices. Across all 10 download speeds and capacities, it consistently ranked the US near the bottom."

And are triple play prices lower than broadband-only prices?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Install Windows posted:

Considering the number of people cutting off TV service from their cable I don't think that the lack of double and triple play comparison is valid.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

And are triple play prices lower than broadband-only prices?

For me right now double play is! This is kind of the reason most people are on at least a double-play, providers have a habit of adjusting the prices so that single-play doesn't have any appeal.

karthun posted:

Considering the number of people cutting off TV service from their cable I don't think that the lack of double and triple play comparison is valid.

A number that is still rather insignificant.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I just submitted my comment on 14-28. Hopefully it does some good. Use the first link in this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2458143,00.asp

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Install Windows posted:

A number that is still rather insignificant.

Of course it's a small amount when the providers purposefully gently caress over people who don't go for the bundles. That's the point people are trying to make, they already gently caress over the consumer in every legal way they can.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Of course it's a small amount when the providers purposefully gently caress over people who don't go for the bundles. That's the point people are trying to make, they already gently caress over the consumer in every legal way they can.

Getting free TV isn't being hosed over.

A comparison based on Internet only plans is as irrelevant to actual use as making comparisons based on landline phone plans where local calls aren't free.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 17, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The TV is only "free" in comparison to the unbundled prices, which are artificially inflated to force people into bundles. That's why the charts posted earlier are relevant. If you compare the bundle prices to the price of broadband internet in other first world countries, you're not getting "free" TV, you're getting TV for an extra cost whether you want it or not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The TV is only "free" in comparison to the unbundled prices, which are artificially inflated to force people into bundles. That's why the charts posted earlier are relevant. If you compare the bundle prices to the price of broadband internet in other first world countries, you're not getting "free" TV, you're getting TV for an extra cost whether you want it or not.

Except you do want tv, if you're like the vast majority of Americans. And very often the phone service as well.

Or the cross company bundling with a cell phone service. Or the home alarm. ETC.

Not to mention you can just look to Canada for mostly higher prices, way lower data caps, and bizarrely restricted upload speeds. Or Australia for all around limited Internet beyond the bounds of what undersea cable restrictions would justify. Or many parts of the UK where you'll be advertised 20 plus megabit DSL for the package but the actual run only allows you 4 megabit. Or rural Japan where there's often still little more than sub 6 megabit speeds and not for cheap either.....

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 17, 2014

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Edit: Never mind.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
And of course people ignore that most cable ISPs are in the midst of ending analog cable to free up more space for digital TV and more room for internet, often doubling or tripling available speeds for the same price tiers over the past two years.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

quote:

In Seoul, a triple-play package for phone, TV and Internet at speeds of 100 Mbps for both uploads and downloads will run you $35 a month. By contrast, Verizon will charge New Yorkers $70 a month for a triple-play package with Internet at 15 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up on its FiOS service. Verizon's Internet is both more expensive and slower at the same time.

It is right there and fits with things I've heard with regards to pricing in Japan also.

Why do you have a boner for cable companies? It's really weird how aggressive you are about this.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Install Windows posted:

Except you do want tv, if you're like the vast majority of Americans. And very often the phone service as well.

Fortunately I think this is a trend that will slowly die off with the older Americans. I foresee segregated demand for Internet, TV, and land-line phone service in the future. Unless the NFL or some other major market player intervenes and rewrites the landscape. Dancing with the Stars exclusive to Triple Play?! :argh:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Install Windows posted:

then why inflate the prices of non-bundles at all if people want to buy the bundles?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Install Windows posted:

Getting free TV isn't being hosed over.

A comparison based on Internet only plans is as irrelevant to actual use as making comparisons based on landline phone plans where local calls aren't free.

Go ahead and keep pretending that ISP's aren't doing everything in their power to gently caress the consumer as hard as they possibly can. It's cute :allears:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Good thing literally everyone who wants internet service also wants cable TV and land line phone service.

Do you also use Gramophones in America?

Around here, the Land lines are practically dead. Around 10% of households (mainly elderly) still have them and no new ones are being built.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Install Windows posted:

And of course people ignore that most cable ISPs are in the midst of ending analog cable to free up more space for digital TV and more room for internet, often doubling or tripling available speeds for the same price tiers over the past two years.

You are ignoring the refusal by ISPs to upgrade their systems, attempting to bleed as much profit as possible from a captured market before they upgrade to anything like....I dunno...fiber-to-the-home. Their backbones are falling apart, they're refusing to upgrade peering connections, and so on.

Comcast recently came out and snipped the connection to my entire building, then they had the balls to have phone support pushi upgraded plans to everyone who called in to complain (I spoke to my neighbors about it and boy are we all pissed). I finally bitched enough that they sent a REAL technician out and reconnected the snipped wires.

Besides that, I insist on broadband-only plans. I don't want cable TV or need a home phone.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anonumos posted:

You are ignoring the refusal by ISPs to upgrade their systems

Ah yes, I'm ignoring a thing that doesn't exist. How observant of you!

anonumos posted:

Besides that, I insist on broadband-only plans.

Sorry about your weird psychological problem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheSpiritFox posted:

Go ahead and keep pretending that ISP's aren't doing everything in their power to gently caress the consumer as hard as they possibly can. It's cute :allears:

It's Fishmech. Everything he says, for good or ill, is pedantry. He'll zoom in on more and more picayune details of every single argument until the points he's making are quantum-sized, and about as significant. He doesn't care about the original argument, only about getting to the part where he can snip out those little details and go "actually, that's wrong." It's basically a brain problem.

I don't know if the fact that his noise dominates this thread means the current neutrality crisis is serious or underplayed.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 17, 2014

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Oxxidation posted:

It's Fishmech. Everything he says, for good or ill, is pedantry. He'll zoom in on more and more picayune details of every single argument until the points he's making are quantum-sized, and about as significant. He doesn't care about the original argument, only about getting to the part where he can snip out those little details and go "actually, that's wrong." It's basically a brain problem.

I don't know if the fact that his noise dominates this thread means the current neutrality crisis is serious or underplayed.
If you're saying that they correctly find wrong details in an argument, then I think the problem would lay with the person making arguments that contain wrong details. Claiming things are wrong that aren't wrong would be a different matter of course.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

It's Fishmech.

... I don't know if the fact that his noise dominates this thread means the current neutrality crisis is serious or underplayed.
Its the name changes. It takes a while to notice who was who.

Someone who thinks that you have a psychological problem for not watching enough tv...
:ironicat:

Its also the same Corporate Defense Squad members in every thread. It doesnt matter if its food, medicine, internet, taxes... their response is canned: "You dont 'understand' because I am smart and you are crazy and corporations are cool!"

twodot posted:

If you're saying that they correctly find wrong details in an argument, then I think the problem would lay with the person making arguments that contain wrong details. Claiming things are wrong that aren't wrong would be a different matter of course.
This is being extremely generous. The equivalent is more: "Shouting down that actual point because the punctuation was incorrect."

Its a persuasion method that works on people that dont know much about a topic. It is also lovely, and only certain kinds of people could possibly stick to a single trick for years on end. In real life you call those people "people with poor interpersonal communication skills". And thats assuming that they are honest to begin with.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304908304579565880257774274

quote:

A number of companies sell gear that would let Internet providers segregate traffic and bill for different speeds. They include Sandvine, Allot Communications Ltd. ALLT +3.62% , Cisco Systems Inc. CSCO +0.79% and Procera Networks Inc. PKT +0.77%

"When there is congestion, everything suffers," said Andrei Elefant, chief executive of Allot. "We just make sure that some types of traffic will suffer less."

In a nutshell.

"Never improve the structure again! Just charge more for the same dwindling supply! Pocket all the BONUSES from your acute business acumen!"

"Oh you have a degree in "business"... "acumen" means "smartyness"!"

From the ACLU page on the topic:

https://www.aclu.org/net-neutrality

quote:

Q. What do you mean, they might "manipulate our data"?

A. New technologies now allow telecom companies to scrutinize every piece of information we send or receive online...

...– websites, email, videos, Internet phone calls, or data generated by games or social networks. And they can program the computers that route that information to interfere with the data flow by slowing down or blocking traffic and communicators that they don't like (and speeding up traffic they do like or that pays them extra for the privilege).

Imagine if the phone company could mess with your calls every time you tried to order pizza from Domino's, because Pizza Hut is paying them to route their calls first.

Q. They're not allowed to do that, are they?

A. The phone company isn't allowed to do that, and, for a while, the FCC said broadband providers...

...couldn't either. In January, however, a federal court overturned the FCC's rules on a technicality. Now, unless the FCC takes action to support a free and open Internet, big broadband providers will actually have a much greater range of options for interfering with our communications than the phone companies ever had. It would be pretty difficult for a landline phone company to block individual calls or make other calls go through faster. Not so much for big broadband providers.

Q. Why would the telecoms want to interfere with Internet data?

A. Profit and other corporate interests. Companies might want to interfere with speech...

...that makes them look bad, block applications that compete with their own, or increase their profit by forcing developers to pay more to avoid having their data blocked or slowed down.

Q. Won't competition prevent them from doing any of this?

A. It should and normally it would — but it won't. First of all, manipulations of our data are...

...not always easily detectable; content can be delayed or distorted in important but subtle ways.

Second, it costs a lot to build a big high-speed broadband service, so there aren't very many of them. They also tend to be big phone and cable companies because they already have the data "pipes" in place. Most Americans don't have more than a handful of legitimate high-speed broadband options at home (the vast majority have three or fewer). That means two things. One, customers can't switch if a big broadband providers starts messing around with their service. Two, big content providers like Netflix have to send their data through these "last-mile" gatekeepers. Right now, market competition just isn't enough to stop them from blocking services or charging more for a fast lane.

Q. Have there been any actual instances of service providers interfering with the Internet, or is this just all theoretical?

A. Real abuses have happened consistently over the past decade (see Abuses below).

This wont stop the corporate asslicking.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 17, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Look at those grinning lobbyists.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2155940/fcc-moves-forward-on-net-neutrality-plan-what-now.html

quote:

The proposal seeks comment on whether the FCC should ban pay-for-priority business models. During Thursday’s hearing, Wheeler also emphasized that he would consider any broadband provider’s efforts to throttle traffic to customers to be an unreasonable and prohibited practice.
"You cant "throttle" people, but you know, if you flood the cheapass infrastructure and then charge for "privileged" access you are really "throttling" anyone now are you? :smug:

quote:

Wheeler believes his approach would be the quicker way to restore net neutrality rules

"Let us quietly redefine some terms... you see I think "net neutrality" means..."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If he redefined under Title II there won't be any net neutrality in force for a decade, at which point they'd probably lose in court. ( also, common carriers can still discriminate, they just have to do so in a reasonable fashion, so I hope you like paying a tariff for IP video because it consumes a disproportionate amount of their interconnect and they have to make sure there's room for email.)

The 706 option gets net neutrality rules back in a short time frame in an essentially court-approved fashion.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Can you explain what option 706 is?

As I understand it, ISP's being common carriers would lead to a dsl like situation where any innovation stagnates. Why would one company spend money on infrastructure only to be forced to let their competitors use it? The current system of municipalities forcing companies to cover the whole town instead of just the highest profit/density areas seems like the best solution for the long term.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

lampey posted:

Can you explain what option 706 is?

As I understand it, ISP's being common carriers would lead to a dsl like situation where any innovation stagnates. Why would one company spend money on infrastructure only to be forced to let their competitors use it? The current system of municipalities forcing companies to cover the whole town instead of just the highest profit/density areas seems like the best solution for the long term.

Option 706 is justifying the "commercially unreasonable" anti-discrimination rule under section 706 of the Telecommunications Act.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
They could make it a restricted market wherein there was a legally mandated profit cap and the remaining funds must be used for infrastructure and ratio-mandated wages.

Lets call it "soft socialism".

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FRINGE posted:

They could make it a restricted market wherein there was a legally mandated profit cap and the remaining funds must be used for infrastructure and ratio-mandated wages.

No, actually, the FCC couldn't. They have absolutely zero authority for those things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FRINGE posted:

Your understanding of the powers of the FCC is rivaled only by your understanding of well, everything else.

FRINGE posted:

Someone who thinks that you have a psychological problem for not watching enough tv...

It's very amusing to me that you think descriptors of the fact that most people watch TV is an assertion that you are insane.

Kalman posted:

If he redefined under Title II there won't be any net neutrality in force for a decade, at which point they'd probably lose in court. ( also, common carriers can still discriminate, they just have to do so in a reasonable fashion, so I hope you like paying a tariff for IP video because it consumes a disproportionate amount of their interconnect and they have to make sure there's room for email.)

The 706 option gets net neutrality rules back in a short time frame in an essentially court-approved fashion.

Over the course of this whole thing, I've found it funny how so many people seem to think "common carrier" is a magic word that gives you everything you want.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 18, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Install Windows posted:

Your understanding of the powers of the FCC is rivaled only by your understanding of well, everything else.
I am very aware of who can do what. Just as I am aware that you have no ability to parse language like a normal person. Must be all that tv.

Kalman posted:

No, actually, the FCC couldn't. They have absolutely zero authority for those things.
We are moving towards enough courtroom showdowns that Legislation will eventually join the battle. There is still a near-zero chance of what I want, for now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FRINGE posted:

I am very aware of who can do what. Just as I am aware that you have no ability to parse language like a normal person. Must be all that tv.

We are moving towards enough courtroom showdowns that Legislation will eventually join the battle. There is still a near-zero chance of what I want, for now.

What's extra-fun is that what you want isn't really achievable via legislation, either, and if you think there's support for a constitutional amendment for it, well, you'd be proving fishmech's point.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kalman posted:

What's extra-fun is that what you want isn't really achievable via legislation, either, and if you think there's support for a constitutional amendment for it, well, you'd be proving fishmech's point.
If they went on a nationalization warpath, they could certainly construct a fixed-profit model that included mandates for the use of remaining income.

The problem is that we only faux-nationalize things in order to prop them up with public money. We never do it to reign in abuses, correct patterns of public progress that have been crippled by greed, or punish corrupt entities.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FRINGE posted:

If they went on a nationalization warpath, they could certainly construct a fixed-profit model that included mandates for the use of remaining income.

The problem is that we only faux-nationalize things in order to prop them up with public money. We never do it to reign in abuses, correct patterns of public progress that have been crippled by greed, or punish corrupt entities.

Well, yes, they could do that, but they'd run into the Takings Clause, meaning they would quite possibly have to pay the carriers for all the things they mandated. Which kind of ruins the whole point of nationalization, doesn't it?

And, again, you're an insane person if you think there's a single chance of the US nationalizing existing private enterprises long-term; the only nationalization that's been done has been with an eye to spin it back to private control sooner than later. I mean, the US government is literally more likely to buy every single inhabitant of the US a laptop than they are to nationalize telcos.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kalman posted:

And, again, you're an insane person if you think there's a single chance of the US nationalizing existing private enterprises

You and your buddy are so cute.

Fringe posted:

There is still a near-zero chance of what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FRINGE posted:

You and your buddy are so cute.

So why are you talking about something that is unconstitutional (unless we pay the carriers just as much as they make already, except now they get it for doing nothing) and has a near-zero chance of passing?

• Locked thread