Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Well it was a bit curious that Booker was so quiet during all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
"At a ceremonial groundbreaking in May, Christie did not mention how the senior center would benefit Sandy victims, but he did say he considered the project a priority for the seniors of Belleville and spoke about how he personally urged his appointed officials on the phone to approve the financial assistance."

Oops

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I found the article on my news feed, but before I've met the guy who wrote that article and runs that website. He was the kind of "fight the power" campus types who watched the The Wire and believed afterwards he should do what he can to stick it to the man. He had a lot of abandoned projects and causes (at one point he tried to make a dramedy web series and he even seriously considered running for mayor), but his heart's in the right place and he seems to really care for the Rutgers and New Brunswick community. This independent news website/newspaper looks like it's his most successful endeavor; good for him.

This article does seem a bit too eager to draw connections, but it still conveys a lot of information about Sandy aid that I haven't heard before. I didn't know New Brunswick received a ton of Sandy aid despite its minimal damage.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Space Pussy posted:

Well it was a bit curious that Booker was so quiet during all this.

Never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake. Or his administration is imploding.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Christie made his bed with all the 'challenge me' poo poo he pulled everwhere. As soon as the wind turned, the dog pile started.

On meet the press this morning, a guest brought up how he blew it (if he was acting in good faith) during and after the four days of hell on the worlds busiest bridge.

Analogies always fall short, but if I caused gridlock on a major computer system my VP and COO would be all over me within hours, with the user audiences grabbing their pitchforks.

So... the other side of the coin is poor management and communication with senior staff during such a drastic move.

Are there no computer simulations that this 'traffic study' could have used instead??

Going down for playing small ball, clouded by hubris?

I really want see him in the '16 primaries. '12 was just a thing of beauty!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Subpoena deadline is today, and while I'm sure there will be delays etc. I expect that poo poo will start getting real in the next few weeks.

Christine Renna, Christie's director intergovernmental affairs who reported to Bridget Kelly, resigned yesterday, so people are speculating that maybe she had something incriminating in her correspondence (added her to OP, this is first I'd heard of her). It's hard to overstate how much stuff like that matters especially in early going, e.g. if Bridget Kelly had decided to say "time for some traffic problems in Ft. Lee" and the like on the phone instead of emails/texts Christie might have been able to use his power/relationships to bury this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't suppose Wildstein took up a temp job running the trains out of MetLife stadium recently?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Don't worry. They are the manchildren of Buono voters.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think this is worthy of a cross-post. Perhaps Christie shouldn't have been so hasty to attack Wildstein's high school history.

quote:

What did Christie do that so impressed them? Well, he had been the starting catcher on the baseball team, and a better player transferred to the school and took his starting spot, and Christie decided not to sue to keep the kid out of school.

The idea of suing to block the transfer of the better catcher came from Christie's father, and Christie decided against it. The story notes that Christie did not reject this idea out of hand. (He "sought opinions about the idea from two of his closest friends on the team..") Nor did he reject it on moral grounds. Rather, he simply decided it was too risky. ("Christie thought his dad was wrong, given the apparent risks: The season might be forfeited, and the team and the town might be turned against their family.")

Yeah, that's what anyone would do when a new kid joins the baseball team: ask around to decide whether you should sue to have them kicked out of school.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Joementum posted:

I think this is worthy of a cross-post. Perhaps Christie shouldn't have been so hasty to attack Wildstein's high school history.

Yeah, that's what anyone would do when a new kid joins the baseball team: ask around to decide whether you should sue to have them kicked out of school.

was christie's father richard nixon or something?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That nymag article is kind of an uncharitable painting of the stuff that was said in the wapo article linked

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Star Ledger is reporting Bridget Kelly is refusing to turn over documents http://nj-ne.ws/tftbG

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW
So from reading that her legal people are saying that they are refusing to hand over documents to the local legislative committee because of self incrimination/search and seizure reasons due to the feds having an investigation going on?

So either they are bad at a local level and this is fancy lawyering or they are really bad at a federal level and this is stalling the inevitable, right?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ascii genitals posted:

Star Ledger is reporting Bridget Kelly is refusing to turn over documents http://nj-ne.ws/tftbG

Wow, I wonder if she will hold out enough to face contempt of court and go to jail. :munch:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

T.Worth posted:

So from reading that her legal people are saying that they are refusing to hand over documents to the local legislative committee because of self incrimination/search and seizure reasons due to the feds having an investigation going on?

So either they are bad at a local level and this is fancy lawyering or they are really bad at a federal level and this is stalling the inevitable, right?
See how many paragraphs of this you can get through this before your eyes cross or you lash out in anger at people who happen to be close-by (I made it through 5)
http://www.wisenberglaw.com/Article...ir-Papers.shtml
Maybe some lawyer can give this line of argument a plausibility score. (this is probably why they focused on the federal case as an excuse, though, because this argument has some context there)

Joementum posted:

Haha Jesus. We have cultural touchstones to label people who are wildly out of touch due to finances or abstract scholarly pursuits... but do we have one for being out of touch due to extreme arrogance?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Don't tell Brit Hume it would break his heart

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
What the hell is up with Joe Scarborough and all of this poo poo. He seems to be going really really...really..far with the eyerolling on this. Are they buddies or something?

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

pangstrom posted:

See how many paragraphs of this you can get through this before your eyes cross or you lash out in anger at people who happen to be close-by (I made it through 5)
http://www.wisenberglaw.com/Article...ir-Papers.shtml
Maybe some lawyer can give this line of argument a plausibility score. (this is probably why they focused on the federal case as an excuse, though, because this argument has some context there)

I read through a bit of that, considered slashing my wrists. It looks like they are arguing that because it will become public record once the committee gets their hands on it it would violate her fourth and fifth ammendment in relation to the federal case.

As to plausibility, I dunno. Won't your feds just do what ours do eventually? Roll up to her house and storage units grabbing every piece of paper and electronic device. Seems like just trying to stave off the inevitable for a few more weeks.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My feeling is that if no plausible answer to "why did Kelly ask for the lane closures?" surfaces then eventually they have to go after Christie... and there is no plausible "why" that doesn't involve Christie.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

What the hell is up with Joe Scarborough and all of this poo poo. He seems to be going really really...really..far with the eyerolling on this. Are they buddies or something?
Yes. I think Scarborough is one of those guys where if you're powerful and glad-hand him for 20 milliseconds at an event you have a friend for life, and if you're a "straight-talking" "media darling" like Christie was it seems like Joe is a sucker for that, too.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yeah, he's said repeatedly that he's a personal friend of Christie. Also, like most right wingers he believes conservatives are constantly being persecuted by the media.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

T.Worth posted:

I read through a bit of that, considered slashing my wrists. It looks like they are arguing that because it will become public record once the committee gets their hands on it it would violate her fourth and fifth ammendment in relation to the federal case.

As to plausibility, I dunno. Won't your feds just do what ours do eventually? Roll up to her house and storage units grabbing every piece of paper and electronic device. Seems like just trying to stave off the inevitable for a few more weeks.

This is the best possible outcome. Preferably with no advance warning at all.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

Buried alive posted:

This is the best possible outcome. Preferably with no advance warning at all.

That's what will happen, right?

The second you hear there is an investigation anything you get rid of or delete becomes an offense. We have had people here go down for longer than the offense would warrant for disposing of evidence, gotta be worse in the US. The feds will come down with warrants related to that bloke who rolled and dropped them all in it, grab all of her poo poo and then investigate it for 6 months.

Then she becomes 46 offenses of the 276 charged. Unless she rolls, that's the key to rolling it all up and tying it with a bow. You just keep rolling people up and offering deals until you hit the source. Then you charge them with all 276 offenses while their pawns testify.

It won't happen though, will it?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well, 4 of the 20 people met the subpoena deadline, of whom Baroni is the only "likely interesting" person (though the fact that he complied suggests that maybe he's not). Bridget Kelly and Bill Stepien took the fifth, the rest are still complying or at least pretending to comply.
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/02/04/22572717-only-four-of-20-subpoenaed-in-christie-bridge-investigation-comply-by-deadline

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh this is going to be good for Christie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

People copping to an obstruction of justice charge is pretty much the way these scandals actually convict people. From Scooter Libby to Boss Tweed, it has a storied history.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
"It's not the crime, its the cover up."

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

People copping to an obstruction of justice charge is pretty much the way these scandals actually convict people. From Scooter Libby to Boss Tweed, it has a storied history.

Nothing ever happened to Cheney, or Rove or Armitage for that matter so...

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
One thing I wonder about is how much Christie knew, and how much he ordered.
I can't believe that anyone would be dumb enough to order something like this in so many words. How can someone get as far as he got and think it is a good idea to order retribution on a political opponent for not endorsing him in an election he was going to win anyway?

I imagine it is more likely that he told his staff that he wanted results, and that if they didn't get results they would be fired. And that there would be no questions asked about how they got the results. I can't believe he would be dumb enough to ever deny himself plausible deniability by giving someone direct orders.

And if he was that dumb, it must mean that either New Jersey is more corrupt than I know, or that he was not thinking rationally: that like Nixon, he was so paranoid and megalomaniacal that he thought he would get away with anything.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

glowing-fish posted:

How can someone get as far as he got and think it is a good idea to order retribution on a political opponent for not endorsing him in an election he was going to win anyway?

Even though this is the stand-in reason right now and being tossed around like gospel it's, at best, an educated guess at the actual reason.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
If I had to venture a guess I'd say that he got mad at whoever his target was and made an offhand comment to his staff like "go hit 'em where it hurts." He may or may not have had any particular method in mind.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pither posted:

If I had to venture a guess I'd say that he got mad at whoever his target was and made an offhand comment to his staff like "go hit 'em where it hurts." He may or may not have had any particular method in mind.

That's literally how St. Thomas a Becket ended up getting stuck in traffic.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Sharkie posted:

That's literally how St. Thomas a Becket ended up getting stuck in traffic.
Haha. Exactly what I was thinking... that payback by his minions was a result of a Christie, "Won't somebody rid me of this troublesome priest?" rant.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Haha. Exactly what I was thinking... that payback by his minions was a result of a Christie, "Won't somebody rid me of this troublesome priest?" rant.

That isn't what happened, but it is what they will try to put forward.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

T.Worth posted:

That isn't what happened, but it is what they will try to put forward.

But without any documentation, it will be the word of people trying to get out of legal troble by passing it on to their boss. Which will probably never reach the standard of legal proof, but it will certainly make Christie untrustworthy enough in people's eyes. Unless there is ten people all telling the same story. Or if there is an e-Mail floating around somewhere. I just find it hard to believe Christie would be stupid enough to order something like this won't being discrete about it.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

glowing-fish posted:

But without any documentation, it will be the word of people trying to get out of legal troble by passing it on to their boss. Which will probably never reach the standard of legal proof, but it will certainly make Christie untrustworthy enough in people's eyes. Unless there is ten people all telling the same story. Or if there is an e-Mail floating around somewhere. I just find it hard to believe Christie would be stupid enough to order something like this won't being discrete about it.

Nah, you're right. He ordered it as sure as poo poo, but there would be nothing at all in writing. They get to go with the 'troublesome cleric' fiction, precisely the reason that he didn't put it in writing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HackerJoeGuy posted:

It's also incredibly rare for impeachment to be brought up against governors in the US. Only something like 14 cases in the entire country since the early 1800's. If it gets to that point, which is looking likely, Christie would probably resign. Though I could easily see him pulling a Blagojevich and fighting till the bitter end.

The real question is would someone ever pull a Budd Dwyer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can one of the jurisprugoons contextualize this story about Christie granting eminent domain to a new higher-education board?

Is it as bad, as it sounds?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

ufarn posted:

Can one of the jurisprugoons contextualize this story about Christie granting eminent domain to a new higher-education board?

Is it as bad, as it sounds?

I don't think it is. Universities are government entities, so the fact that they are granted Eminent Domain powers isn't that shocking. It seems to be a fairly standard way to do business.

Now, if it turned out that there was some personal motivation in this bill, then yes it would be a problem, but as it is it sounds like mostly a technicality and the least of Christie's problems right now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

While universities (public or private) don't generally formally have that power in something like that board they generally have little to no trouble talking the government agency that does have that power into using it on their behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Christie went to Texas to fundraise/network/whatever you do a few years ahead of a primary.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-christie-scandal-damage-2016-20140206,0,1241242.story

Kind of a nonstory and Texas was going to be tricky regardless but it shows how he really needs to get this behind him before he gets off the launchpad. Obviously it's still early, but rich conservatives are dying for a solid candidate and he's looking unsolid.

• Locked thread