Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Super Dude posted:

The real answer is to buy multiple mattresses and switch them out for different positions.

Pretty much this. Just fill a room with mattresses and roll around until you're comfortable any given night or nap. Maybe I'll do this when I am ready to purchase a new mattress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
If you're a hot sleeper you want to avoid memory foam like the plague. The benefit of memory foam is that it absorbs heat, softens, then conforms to your body. The key problem is that is *retains* said heat, so if you find you're already hot most nights this will be like burning to death in a really comfortable oven.

Alternative suggestion: latex mattress. I have one and it's amazing. Very firm and supportive but soft enough that you don't feel like you're laying on a slab. Also doesn't retain heat.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So any advice for up and coming Sex Havers that are in love with their memory foam mattress and never want to go back to a normal one? I just got this thing last year, hearing that it sucks for sex is really bumming me out.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Sounds like the best overall option is a latex mattress. I'm curious, are there any real benefits to an inner-spring mattress, other than price/availability?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Bouncing cushion for the pushin'?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've only had sex on memory foam mattresses, and I dont have any problems with them :confused:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

I've only had sex on memory foam mattresses, and I dont have any problems with them :confused:

Good, this was all I was looking for. Are you also a larger person?

Also, without getting into anything too personal, would you mind describing your experience with it? I haven't had a chance to "christen" my mattress yet, but I have a very promising date on Saturday and I want to make sure everything will be good to go.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

WampaLord posted:

So any advice for up and coming Sex Havers that are in love with their memory foam mattress and never want to go back to a normal one? I just got this thing last year, hearing that it sucks for sex is really bumming me out.

I'd recommend a sex swing, but being a goon I doubt you'd get a good ROI on it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
On the subject of sheets, don't get black ones if you're ever planning to have sex on them.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

On the subject of sheets, don't get black ones if you're ever planning to have sex on them.

I like to make sure that everyone who walks into my room knows of my conquests.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

WampaLord posted:

Good, this was all I was looking for. Are you also a larger person?

Also, without getting into anything too personal, would you mind describing your experience with it? I haven't had a chance to "christen" my mattress yet, but I have a very promising date on Saturday and I want to make sure everything will be good to go.

No, I am not large, 5'7" 150 lbs and my partners have been similarly sized or smaller.

As far as experience, uh, I dont know... It's a bed. I like doing bed things on it, including sleeping and having sex. We didnt try any acrobatic positions, and the the standard missionary / cowgirl / doggy all worked fine

Don't worry about the bed. Its a bed. It will be fine.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I seriously can't believe people are complaining about having sex on a memory foam mattress. It makes no difference unless you're used to some busted-rear end mattress with box spring which functions more like a trampoline than a bed.

I've never heard any comments regarding memory foam bed sex from anyone I've been with, and I have a by goon standards an extraordinarily large sample size.

EDIT
The legit complaints about foam beds are:
1) They sleep slightly warm.
2) They're expensive.
3) They're more firm than what most people are used to (I suspect this is because they support your body more evenly).
4) Moving them is exponentially worse than a normal bed. I know it seems impossible but double the weight of your current mattress and make it flexible then haul it up a flight of stairs.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 23, 2014

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm not sure about the expense, either, at least compared to non-Craigslist mattresses. The Foam Factory will sell you a queen sized mattress with 4" of 5lb foam for $400, and it will outlast any spring mattress. If you cheap out and go for 3 lb foam, it is only $250

P.S. 4" of 5 lb foam is what the gods sleep on.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm not sure about the expense, either, at least compared to non-Craigslist mattresses. The Foam Factory will sell you a queen sized mattress with 4" of 5lb foam for $400, and it will outlast any spring mattress. If you cheap out and go for 3 lb foam, it is only $250

P.S. 4" of 5 lb foam is what the gods sleep on.

For what it's worth, before I bought mine in 2008 I shopped around for anything reasonable cheaper and Tempurpedic was a clear winner in quality worth the extra money.

Queen was ~$1500 if I recall correctly.

elnoseface
Jun 29, 2008
I have slept on a few memory foam mattresses and I hate how much I sink into the mattress. I only weigh 160 so I'm not a complete lard rear end either.

This is can also have an impact with sex. If you like to change positions a lot, constantly rolling out of the indention can get old.

Edit

Also, make sure you buy your mattress from a place with a good return/exchange policy. You don't want to get stuck with a mattress that hurts your back after it breaks in.

elnoseface fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 24, 2014

Darth Continent
Dec 13, 2004

I sense a
disturbance
in my bowels...
If you suffer from allergies, you could get a zippered cover for your mattress; for coil mattresses it can prevent dust mites from setting up shop inside, dunno whether this would be as helpful for say memory or air mattresses.

High thread count sheets are comfy, but the higher the thread count the more fabric and the more room you'll need in your washer to clean them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
After doing more research, it seems like memory foam it out for me because I can't sleep if I'm too warm. I don't want a spring, air, or water mattress, so that leaves me with latex. Latex sounds great, all the benefits of memory foam without the downsides but at a higher price point. It seems also that I want something that is 9" thick, and something more medium versus soft.

Has anyone had any experiences with Flobeds? Their mattresses are 9" and comes in four panels (2x2) so that I can customize the base and side layers with different firmnesses. Since I'm just one person I'm thinking of a base layer of 32 ILD "firm" topped with 28 ILD "med" and each one is 4.5" so it's completely interchangeable which is kinda neat. I think I'd have the option of ordering more panels in different ILDs if I ever wanted a change and/or had a longterm partner and we kept my bed. They throw in 2 latex pillows but it's not free shipping (though maybe if I call in to order I can get this waived).

At a slightly higher price point there was Foam Sweet Foam, which does 3" layers so for the 9" mattress you can have three different firmness layers and it's free shipping (though Flobeds is cheaper even after shipping), but they don't tell you the ILDs and I think the layers span the entire bed so there's 3 layers in all.

IKEA also makes a latex bed, but those are only 6" and 7" thick, and the reviews pretty much say you get what you pay for with people complaining that the beds start to imprint your body after even two years.

I think I'm gonna order that Flobeds. Now to wade through all the bedsheets junk. My bed is going to be so awesome.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

I had a memory foam mattress pad from Costco rather than full-on mattress as a trial for myself and found it didn't really distract me from the having of sex. I think if you're starting to get bothered by the mattress you're having sex on, you're either having really bad sex or your mattress setup is terrible. I think you know what to do in the latter situation and in the former generally practice will fix things.

Now here's one for the pros - anyone tied silk sheets before and how good they feel? I've had jersey / "performance" cotton sheets before and even though they were stupid cheap at maybe $25 from Bed Bath & Beyond they felt freakin' amazing in the summer because it just wicked moisture right off without absorbing much unlike, say, flannel or basic cotton / poly mix sheets. The problem I had was that they lasted like 5 washes before they ripped, but they were really compact to store which was a nice bonus. I'd like to try other sheets besides the usual designer sheets from Vera Wang, CK, etc. that are probably just overpriced cotton/poly blends.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Thanks to all the advice from goons about not freaking out about sex quality with a memory foam mattress. I had a chance to test it out (:smug:) and just like everyone said, it's still just a bed at the end of the day. I didn't notice any downsides, other than the temptation to fall asleep immediately afterwards because the mattress is so drat comfy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

My bed is going to be so awesome.

This is so important. Getting better quality sleep makes everything else in life better. Best of luck with your bed purchasing, OP!

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 26, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Here's an opposing long shot: I don't suppose some miracle material mattress would sleep cooler than your typical spring mattress, would it? Or failing that some sheet material? I know physics in general probably doesn't support my wishes, but damnitall, here in Las Vegas having a low in the high eighties fahrenheit in a summer evening isn't unheard of and my poor AC just can't keep up most of the time. :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Latex bed, linen sheets (I like linoto.com ones). Your welcome.

Can someone elaborate on how linen sheets feel compared to cotton? I'm interested since I've heard they're cooler and I like flax, but I have a hard time finding descriptions that aren't literally a sales pitch.

WampaLord posted:

I haven't had any problems with sex on my foam-but-not-memory-foam mattress.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 27, 2014

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Here's an opposing long shot: I don't suppose some miracle material mattress would sleep cooler than your typical spring mattress, would it? Or failing that some sheet material? I know physics in general probably doesn't support my wishes, but damnitall, here in Las Vegas having a low in the high eighties fahrenheit in a summer evening isn't unheard of and my poor AC just can't keep up most of the time. :(

I'm a cold sleeper, and I have found https://www.sheex.com "performance" sheets to be great. They're expensive, and they sound really gimmicky, but they really do wick away moister well. They're also quite durable, unlike other sheets that seemed to turn into paper after a couple washes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Does anyone remember when a guy asked about pillows and we got the "pillow mod" post?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Quick update, I didn't go with Flobeds or Foam Sweet Foam but with SleepEZ. It came with two free pillows and was cheaper than Foam Sweet Foam. Mine comes with three 3" latex layers, same as Foam Sweet Foam's but unlike Flobeds (which actually comes with two 3" layers, a 2" layer, and an egg crate like topper which I thought if I'm gonna be paying a premium I want a full 9" of latex). Should get delivered Friday (placed the order on Monday morning) so I'm excited to test it out.

Duck and Cover posted:

Latex bed, linen sheets (I like linoto.com ones). Your welcome.

I'm looking up bedsheets right now and I'm really curious about linen sheets. They seem to be cooler than cotton sheets and a lot of people like them, but I can't help but think that linen sheets would be really scratchy and actually quite warm? Anyone have experience with them and high thread count cotton sheets and can tell me more about them?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't know how I'd describe linen. It'll wrinkle, it sheds, the linoto ones have a nice weightyness? Sure we'll go with that. It isn't scratchy, it doesn't really get too warm, but is warm enough. If you do buy from linoto

quote:

Thanks for writing to us and of course, for your purchase. The seam in some sheet sets is determined by the color of the fabric. Today the white, ivory,almond, natural, warm gray, graphite, pale blue, indigo, lavender and Belgian eco linen sheets are made from 120" wide linen which makes for seamless sheets.
As of 12/30/12 the email goes on to explain why but really linoto should tell people before they order.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 30, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Ciaphas posted:

Waterbed with some kind of heat sink built into it? IDK, man. Sorry.

The only other thing I could suggest is that a good box fan will at least keep part of you cool, and then it's just a matter of careful sheet placement to optimize comfort. Every time the AC goes out fans save me from living outside under a shady tree like an animal.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm looking up bedsheets right now and I'm really curious about linen sheets. They seem to be cooler than cotton sheets and a lot of people like them, but I can't help but think that linen sheets would be really scratchy and actually quite warm? Anyone have experience with them and high thread count cotton sheets and can tell me more about them?

I'm curious to read people's recommendations for bedsheets. The most comfortable one I ever had I stole from my father when I was little. It was some kind of cotton blend with horrible 70s stipes as the pattern. But it was lighter and softer than silk. I wish I knew what it was made out of, that thing was the best.

Oh, one thing I did hear a lot about (during the summer or some other slow news cycle because it's not like we have any wars going on) was that companies were flat out lying about the thread count of their sheets. Lying about thread count, and apparently shipping with fabric softener on the thing so that out of the package their sheets felt softer than they were. (I guess if you kept using fabric softener it would feel the same, though?) So watch yourself when you're checking out sheets at the store.

My gf has one set that are nice and comfy -- I'll try to find out what they are if the tag is still on them.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
About two years ago I had a work rotation that was absolutely horrendous on my sleeping schedule and the bottom line is I was so tired I would end up taking micro naps just about anywhere I sat down. I tried changing everything my life that affected sleep quality length and just about anything else to try and get a full and comfortable sleep in when I could get it from food, to lighting to heat, sound (or lack thereof). Eventually it boiled down to the 30 year old mattress I had it was time for it to go. I looked around for about 2 weeks before I walked into one of those sleep number stores at the mall. They were running some deals (which I think they always run and they pump the price up to make it look fancy) and part of it was if you have a problem or just don't like the bed after 30 days you can return it.

To make an overly long story short I ended up keeping the sleep number and while my rotation at work may be completely stupid (night day mid day mid; sometimes night night day day mid) I won't be sleeping on anything but a sleep number from here on out. They have ones with memory foam and cooling foam and the cooling foam surprisingly works rather well in pillows. I never have to switch my pillow to the cool side anymore because every side is the cool side. They also have a heat controlling system (add or subtract heat) that they came out with this year and its fantastic as well (although just as overpriced as the beds.) I also enjoy being able to make the mattress more firm if I'm feeling soar after a workout or soft if I was being a patsy and didn't go to the gym and work it hard that day.

As far as the sheets go I got the temperature control ones that they have and they work a solid too warm up to a comfortable temp and then pretty much stay there.

TLDR; sleepnumber although expensive is sometimes worth it and their choices asfasr as mattresses are fairly varied.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
For people who have the latex mattresses, especially ones that you had to build yourself. Do you feel the seam in the middle of the bed?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

For people who have the latex mattresses, especially ones that you had to build yourself. Do you feel the seam in the middle of the bed?

I do feel it, yes. I tend to sleep on either side even alone, so it's not really a big deal, but when I roll into the middle it's a tiny bit noticeable, but not enough to care too much. Where I bought my mattress from they asked if I wanted to split it in the middle and I said yes, though if I could do it again I'd tell them to keep it one piece.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Just throwing my 2 cents into a dead conversation

ntan1 posted:

There is no real need to go for a temperpedic over another generic brand.

loving lies. I had a "classic" temperpedic when I was with my ex. We split and he took the bed. I bought a $500 off brand and I hate it. It is too squishy and holds on to a lot more heat than the temperpedic.

And speaking of sexytimes, I do not really like sex on a memory foam of any kind. The added weight of another person on top of me during missionary actually forces my torso down and causes me to have really bad cramps in my shoulders to the point that I have stopped the fun because it was hurting so bad.

I do have an extra deep arch to my lower back though so sleeping feels amazing on my back but when I get up, it actually hurts worse. gently caress I need a new mattress again.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Oh, one thing I did hear a lot about (during the summer or some other slow news cycle because it's not like we have any wars going on) was that companies were flat out lying about the thread count of their sheets. Lying about thread count, and apparently shipping with fabric softener on the thing so that out of the package their sheets felt softer than they were. (I guess if you kept using fabric softener it would feel the same, though?) So watch yourself when you're checking out sheets at the store.

This can't be restated enough. Pretty much without fail sheets you buy are not as soft as they are straight out of the packaging. As someone who's bought a few sets of sheets in the last few years, even if you buy the $200 walletfucker 1000 threadcount monstrosity sheets the first thing you'll probably do once you get them home is wash them as every set of sheets I've bought has a funky smell coming out of the packaging, probably something to keep moths out of it. That also happens to wash out whatever softening agent they have in it and they wind up feeling similar.

For what it's worth, the best set of sheets I've ever had were the ones they gave me for free when I bought my current mattress, which I promptly used until I started wearing holes in it. The sheets in question were a generic branded 650 thread count, so don't think you need 800-1000s to be comfortable. If you live somewhere reasonably cold large parts of the year also look at flannel sheets.

I've been thinking about buying a set of satin sheets to see how they work out, anyone have any experience with them?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm still curious/interested about people's experiences with linen sheets too (as in made from linen). Still using the cheapo $10 IKEA sheets I bought and seems like a travesty for a bed as expensive as mine was.

AlphaNiner
Aug 10, 2013

I have reached enlightenment, thank you bacon!
I got a memory foam mattress last year and would never swap back to a sprung one now. I was quite sceptical at first since it was a bit cheaper, a bit thinner and I'd never tried one before. It arrived by courier rolled up and vacuum packed and needed "24 hours to inflate properly". At this point I thought I'd made a mistake and it would be crap but quite the opposite. Really comfortable and I don't wake up with a bad back now.

Memory foam all the way!

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm still curious/interested about people's experiences with linen sheets too (as in made from linen). Still using the cheapo $10 IKEA sheets I bought and seems like a travesty for a bed as expensive as mine was.

I had (emphasis on had) a set of linen sheets and I loved using them in the summer. Then one time while I was out of town my cat scratched the poo poo out of them and they ripped, so now I only have the flat one left, but I plan to get another set once I figure out which mattress I'm going to get next (going from queen to king-sized, I think, so no point in buying another set for a queen sized bed).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why specifically only in the summer?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why specifically only in the summer?

Good question. Mainly because I have warmer sheets that I use in the winter, no real reason other than that.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
The softest, smoothest sheets I've tried are Breathe Bedding, but they rip very easily. As in, brushing a poorly clipped toenail against them, or a cat walking across is liable to rip.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'll revive this thread since I've got a question that probably doesn't really warrant its own thread.

I have a Queen sized memory foam mattress that has worked phenomenally for me for a few years. The thing is, I bought it when I was single, and now that my girlfriend stays over the heat retention in the mattress is becoming unbearable for me. I wake up soaked in sweat and under no blankets. My girlfriend on the other hand sleeps incredibly cold. She will snag up the blanket real estate I am giving up and will still have bone chillingly cold feet despite me developing low grade heat stroke next to her. I've been in consideration of getting a latex foam bed or at least a topper to make it more comfortable for me to sleep, but if the girlfriend is already that cold of a sleeper is that going to make it worse for her? Any goons been in a similar situation that can chime in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I think that you should do what works for you as overheating is horrible but more blankets / pjs would work for her.

• Locked thread