Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You want to throw out the spirit gems? You MONSTER.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

We should have an event sometime

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Magres posted:

You want to throw out the spirit gems? You MONSTER.
I think that falls under the 'by use' phrasing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also apparently they're from before spirit gems were real items or something and aren't even actually usable :shrug:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
There was the spirit gems before the change, and in which case they can simply be 'converted' via one of the options on them. They even give xp, if I recall.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Everyone ought to let Pizza Lady clean their bank because she does weird stuff like decide to make you wear your ring of life, and then five hours later you'll be fishing in the LRC and go afk to brush your teeth, you'll come back and be in Falador with this message:

Thanks friend!

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

LemonyTang posted:

Everyone ought to let Pizza Lady clean their bank because she does weird stuff like decide to make you wear your ring of life, and then five hours later you'll be fishing in the LRC and go afk to brush your teeth, you'll come back and be in Falador with this message:

Thanks friend!

Pssst. Never go afk in LRC.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
BTS for February is out.

quote:

One of a Kind

Grandmaster quest, members only

Research carried out by Mr Mordaut - the most knowledgeable of dragons - suggests that Hannibus the dragon rider could well be alive, locked in stone and hidden beneath the earth. Adventurers who seek him out will uncover the library of Robert the Strong - the world's most feared dragon killer - in a globe -trotting quest of discovery.

Finding out that he is the last of his kind will no doubt be an intimidating prospect for this noble creature, but the path he takes will depend entirely on how you choose to guide him.

With requirements of 79 Magic, 74 Summoning, 67 Dungeoneering (some of the highest ever required) and a bunch of quests to complete, this is a true Grandmaster quest, aimed at the most intrepid and experienced of adventurers. It's a lore-rich romp across the world, revealing much about the dragons' as-yet unknown history, and its rewards include dragon rider armour a dragon rider amulet, and a new training area featuring the recent poll-winning celestial dragons.

Demon Drop Table Improvements

Free players and members

Fighting demons will be a more rewarding experience after this update, as we’ve reworked the drop tables of imps, and lesser, greater, black, abyssal and tormented demons. You’ll find lots less junk and more valuable drops, themed around each specific type of demon. Slayers on an assignment in the Abyss will now be able to loot the brand-new abyssal orb and wand, which fill the currently vacant dual-wield slots at level 75 Magic. Both the wand and the orb allow the casting of Slayer Dart spells and also act like a staff of light, thus saving runes.

Heist

New minigame, members only

Heist is a new minigame focused on deception and deduction. Players take on the role of master thieves or stalwart investigators, and compete on randomly generated town maps styled after iconic Gielinor locations.

As a robber, your goal is to disguise yourself as one of the town's NPC inhabitants, and to remain undetected until you’ve stolen the town’s loot. As a guard, you’re looking to make the robbers give themselves away so you can arrest them, bringing their crime spree to an early end. As a guard, you’ll have access to the latest in investigative tools, while as a robber you'll be able to plan daring escapes and blend into the crowds. It’ll take nerves of steel, a keen eye, precise timing and sharp wits to get the better of the other team.

Each map style contains unique gameplay, ranging from rooftop escapes, camel disguises, werewolf infestations and hidden tasks, so every game you play will be different.

Performing well will award you points to buy additional abilities to use in the game or generous amounts of bonus XP in Hunter and Thieving.

And So Much More…

Our smaller updates this month include two brand new seasonal hiscores, focused around healing and the Slayer Tower. We’ve made some cool new in-game props and pets for the winners of last year’s Golden Gnome awards, and there’s also a graphical reworks to the challenge master area in Burthorpe, and low level abilities.

Solomon’s General Store hasn’t been left out with some new circus style teleport animations and a new item, known as the wicked pouch. There’s also plenty of Valentine's shenanigans across the world, so look out for special Valentine love notes as you’re playing the game.

Polls

All of the major updates listed above have already been shaped by you via the Power to the Players poll system. Here are the full results from each of those polls we've run this month, some of the highlights of February's planned polls:

Finished:

Drop Table Improvement - Demons won (56%)
Decide on Maps for a New Minigame - Canifis won (27%)
Which New Dragon Would You Like? - Celestial dragons won (38%)
Invention Skill vs Elf City - Elf City won (54%)
Decide on a Spring Holiday Event - Marimbo vs Brassica Prime won (66%)
Should We Reduce the Number of Worlds? - 'Keep them as they are' won (62%)
February Polls:

Legacy Combat Mode - Dragonstone
Bonus XP or Double Drops? - Diamond
Elf City Skill Focuses - Diamond
Holiday Items for Loyalty Points? - Diamond

Ultimate Combat Abilities - Ruby
Choose Yelps's Fate - Ruby
Divination Familiar - Ruby
Please keep voting! RuneScape's at its best when you’ve helped craft the content you play, and we really want to know what you want! The votes on the Legacy combat mode are particularly important, so do make sure you check out all the information available on that.

Have fun!

Mod Mark
A minigame that gives bonus xp. I guess it'll be handy for giant chin. And whatever the fastest thieving training method is. And the more abilities thing.

Solomon will get some sort of 'wicked pouch' that I'm not sure what it is. Is it an actual item that has a use? Sounds kind of like the runecrafting pouches, and plus it's got 'wicked' in the name, so it's probably the like the hood/runespan rewards.

And another Valentine event thing.

So we get to pick the skill focuses for elf city. And a possibility for 'holiday items' for loyalty points. I assume that's not the tradeable ones, though.

We get to choose what happens to Yelp. I think this one was inspired by the forums, since that was one of the ones I glanced at in the 'poll suggestion' thing.

And some sort of Divination familiar.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Themata, I just learned, from your farming guide, that you can note items with the tool leprechaun.

RIP :smithicide:

Edit: I hope you don't mind if I suggest tweaks to your farming run: You can use the Ardougne Cape to portal to the Monastery right next to the Bush Patch there. It'll let you add another Bush patch to your rotation for like thirty seconds of work :buddy:

Ardougne Cloak even has a warp to the main Ardougne patch, but only once per day until you've done the elite tasks iirc. The bush patch warp is infinite though!

Thanks again for writing up that guide, you have resparked my interest in farming

Magres fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 2, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Magres posted:

Themata, I just learned, from your farming guide, that you can note items with the tool leprechaun.

RIP :smithicide:

That was an OLD update which made farming runs so much easier. :cmon:

e: Except don't try to note cabbages in the farm west of Draynor.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

how do i look

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Agoat posted:

how do i look

No helmet. Bad weapon. 2/10 would not bang.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy gently caress why does my game only ever crash when I'm doing Warbands? God drat.

E: In other news, I have had a complete 180 in my opinion of warbands. Do them. Just log in like two hours before a wave, join the reddit warband fc, then go do other poo poo until it's warbands time. Then show up, wear royal dhide chest/legs, helm of neitiznot, and bring a dwarven hand cannon and like 200 ammo and you're risking like 100k of gear to make literal millions of gold worth of XP. In two days I've gotten four Herblore tents that totaled to ~320k XP, which is anywhere from like four to six million gold of XP. Start to finish, one warbands trip is like half an hour - doing warbands is effectively making me anywhere from eight to twelve million gold an hour. Even if I don't get Herblore, there's also Construction and Farming (I have 90 Smithing already, don't care about Smithing anymore) which means I am literally guaranteed to get a tent I want.

Magres fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 2, 2014

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Here thread have a clue tab update, also including HAM/magpie tab at the bottom:

Also not that I have yet to get 1 biscuit drop.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

That's quite a few sets of HAM robes you got there :stare:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Okay there's some sort of new challenge system addition.

'Lucky Challenges'. They have a specific time limit, and aren't limited by skill. I got a 24 hour limit one for sending out a port ship, and it rewards a medium lamp.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot to say how I got it. It looks like it's just a random chance in skilling. Not sure if there's other ways to get one though.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 3, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Magres posted:

Holy gently caress why does my game only ever crash when I'm doing Warbands? God drat.

E: In other news, I have had a complete 180 in my opinion of warbands. Do them. Just log in like two hours before a wave, join the reddit warband fc, then go do other poo poo until it's warbands time. Then show up, wear royal dhide chest/legs, helm of neitiznot, and bring a dwarven hand cannon and like 200 ammo and you're risking like 100k of gear to make literal millions of gold worth of XP. In two days I've gotten four Herblore tents that totaled to ~320k XP, which is anywhere from like four to six million gold of XP. Start to finish, one warbands trip is like half an hour - doing warbands is effectively making me anywhere from eight to twelve million gold an hour. Even if I don't get Herblore, there's also Construction and Farming (I have 90 Smithing already, don't care about Smithing anymore) which means I am literally guaranteed to get a tent I want.

Someone in clan chat (Billy I think) told me they tried warbands because of this post and got their warbands crashed really badly. Keep doing warbands - the ruse channel actually changed capes and some tactics specifically in response to having gotten crashed last night, so I don't think it happens a lot.

In other news, jesus gently caress this game gets crashy during Warbands. I literally never crash outside of Warbands and crash constantly during them, at least once a night, during them.

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 3, 2014

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Magres posted:

Someone in clan chat (Billy I think) told me they tried warbands because of this post and got their warbands crashed really badly. Keep doing warbands - the ruse channel actually changed capes and some tactics specifically in response to having gotten crashed last night, so I don't think it happens a lot.

In other news, jesus gently caress this game gets crashy during Warbands. I literally never crash outside of Warbands and crash constantly during them, at least once a night, during them.

I guess it's not just PKers that crash warbands anymore :haw:

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
How did I not notice this pouch till now :stare:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Themata posted:

:stonk: That is indeed shocking. 800k coins? Who is the dirty poor?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:stonk: That is indeed shocking. 800k coins? Who is the dirty poor?

its u

I kind of stopped my slayer grinding because I hit Waterfiends as a task, and I'd rather wait until I get a Charming Imp because I'd hate to lose all those charms. Back to Firemaking I suppose, then Dungeoneering

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The charming imp is single handedly responsible for me picking up a single charm in the last month. It's a great dung reward.

The only thing that would make it better is if he stored them for you as well

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Sorry I dumped you guys, grats on the new thread. I'll check in sometime and maybe get a few level-ups or something.

<3 u

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Themata posted:

Couldn't have captured him any better.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Watch out, he might PM you in a huff because you made jokes about him :v:

Re: Charm Imp - single best item in the game, and it makes me hurt so much that I can't just have a general customizable autoloot. Picking poo poo up off the ground is the worst loot system.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Magres posted:

Re: Charm Imp - single best item in the game, and it makes me hurt so much that I can't just have a general customizable autoloot. Picking poo poo up off the ground is the worst loot system.

I dunno. There is something magical about dropping some ash and a red bead while having people freak out about the santa on the ground. :sparkles:

Also when back in the day dragon leather armor didn't have the color in front of it. Dust devils had a tiny chance of dropping a dragon chainbody but a far higher chance of dropping dragon vambraces.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I dunno. There is something magical about dropping some ash and a red bead while having people freak out about the santa on the ground. :sparkles:

Also when back in the day dragon leather armor didn't have the color in front of it. Dust devils had a tiny chance of dropping a dragon chainbody but a far higher chance of dropping dragon vambraces.

The great thing about Dust Devils being the only non-boss dropper of the red Dragon Chainbody, is that they drop red vambraces, crimson charms, fire runes, tons of rubies and the RDT dragon items. Every single drop is hyping you for that 1/10000 chance Chainbody. :v:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Fun Fact: Dust Devil was how I got my dragon chainbody. Think it only was worth 4 million when it dropped while I was doing a slayer task.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
"Back in the day <dragon armor>"

Get the gently caress off my lawn. Do you even 2d?

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

The red d hide vamp's from dk's still catch me every time.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Apple Craft posted:

Hey, 2D had dragon square and medium helm!

Also the longsword and battle axe, which took forever to get money to buy because everything was a pain in the rear end to get back then.

Sudoku fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 4, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does anyone know if the upcoming 2x XP weekend will actually double prayer gain? I.e. will it double the gilded altar XP or double the base bone XP and slap the normal gilded altar bonus on top of that, giving you 4.5x of the listed value instead of the 7x it goddamn should?

E: Goon intel is that it won't get doubled, according to a jmod.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 4, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Magres posted:

Does anyone know if the upcoming 2x XP weekend will actually double prayer gain? I.e. will it double the gilded altar XP or double the base bone XP and slap the normal gilded altar bonus on top of that, giving you 4.5x of the listed value instead of the 7x it goddamn should?

E: Goon intel is that it won't get doubled, according to a jmod.

Bonus exp will be doubled, normal in-game modifiers that gives anywhere from 4x to 1% won't apply during BXP weekends.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait, so if you have bonus XP on a skill you get 4x instead?

loving sweet, I have 150k Bonus Prayer XP I've been sitting on, and 500k XP to go for 95 prayer, so I can do this with like 600 d bones instead of the 1800 I planned on originally (I also got close to 300k prayer XP from lamps from finishing the Ardougne and Karamja Elite task sets)

E: Actually I need to run maths, but I think it comes out either way. I think other Goons can benefit from this so I'm going to math here.

Gilded Altar is 3.5x XP, with bonus experience that's 7x XP. However, of that 7x, 2.5x is from the gilded altar (because it gives a +250% bonus, or a 3.5x multiplied), so what will get doubled is going to be the remaining 4.5x, giving us a +450% multiplier on our poo poo so...

Okay, if you have BXP this weekend, you'll get 11.5x as much as the listed value of the bone for just burying it (for D Bones this is 828 XP per bone), so you'll get an effective ~3.3x (it's 3.285714 with the fully decimal repeating infinitely, if you want to be precise) prayer experience multiplier, as opposed to the 4x you'd get from Bonus XP plus double XP weekend. Either way I'm pretty happy! My call is if you have bonus XP in prayer, burn it! But if you don't, don't bother and wait until the post-weekend price crash to buy the d bones you need.

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 4, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Magres posted:

Wait, so if you have bonus XP on a skill you get 4x instead?

loving sweet, I have 150k Bonus Prayer XP I've been sitting on, and 500k XP to go for 95 prayer, so I can do this with like 600 d bones instead of the 1800 I planned on originally (I also got close to 300k prayer XP from lamps from finishing the Ardougne and Karamja Elite task sets)

E: Actually I need to run maths, but I think it comes out either way. I think other Goons can benefit from this so I'm going to math here.

Gilded Altar is 3.5x XP, with bonus experience that's 7x XP. However, of that 7x, 2.5x is from the gilded altar (because it gives a +250% bonus, or a 3.5x multiplied), so what will get doubled is going to be the remaining 4.5x, giving us a +450% multiplier on our poo poo so...

Okay, if you have BXP this weekend, you'll get 11.5x as much as the listed value of the bone for just burying it (for D Bones this is 828 XP per bone), so you'll get an effective ~3.3x (it's 3.285714 with the fully decimal repeating infinitely, if you want to be precise) prayer experience multiplier, as opposed to the 4x you'd get from Bonus XP plus double XP weekend. Either way I'm pretty happy! My call is if you have bonus XP in prayer, burn it! But if you don't, don't bother and wait until the post-weekend price crash to buy the d bones you need.

No. Gilded altar doesn't work. Ectofuntus doesn't work. Skill armour doesn't work. You got the following:
Constant double exp and bonus exp for a 4x bonus.

Every single in-game exp increaser will be disabled. You can still use them but you won't get mad exp.

edit: http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Bonus_XP_Weekend

quote:

The following experience bonuses will not work during this weekend:[5]

Filled penance horns.
Offering bones on a gilded altar or the ectofuntus.
Sacred Clay items.
Rewards from the All Fired Up minigame.
Quest experience rewards, including Early Bird bonuses.
Any items that directly give experience, e.g. ancient effigies, handing in strange rocks, genie lamps, tomes of experience, books of knowledge, goldsmith's gauntlets.
Minigame and D&D rewards (e.g. Tears of Guthix, handing in Zeal at Soul Wars, handing in Commendations at Pest Control, killing the wild jade vine, killing the skeletal horror, handing in sq'irk juice after the Sorceress's Garden minigame.
Anything which allows points to be exchanged for experience, e.g. Dungeoneering tokens, penguin points, Brimhaven Agility Arena tickets, Slayer reward points, Mrs Winkin's World of Seeds shop from Vinesweeper, the Dominion Tower item exchange, etc).
Any experience earned through the Assist System.
Clan Avatar experience boosts.
Bonus experience from the Refer a Friend Programme.
Bonus experience from the Festival of the Dead.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wasn't doubling the XP from the gilded altar. I was doubling everything except the XP from the gilded altar. Unless bonus XP that procs off the gilded altar doesn't trigger the double XP (which would be literally the dumbest thing ever) then my math is fine.

So with BXP, when you gilded altar a bone, you get 7x the value of burying because 2*3.5=7

If you take that 7 and double it, then subtract 2.5 (because the gilded altar is +2.5 and we're not doubling that) then you get 11.5, which is the number I arrived at.

Or are they going full :jagex: and not doubling bonus xp that is proccing off of the altar XP?

E: Ooooh I was applying multipliers in the wrong order. It's (Base + 100% (for double XP weekend) + 250% (for Gilded Altar)) * 2 for BXP = 9x the listed value, which drops to 4.5x once BXP runs out. Man, leave it to Jagex to loving nickle and dime us on nice events. I'm going to do my 600 D Bones anyway because I have them and it'll put me at 200k away from 95 Prayer, but seriously gently caress them for gimping Gilded Altars during this poo poo. They're not a form of bonus XP or whatever, they're a loving baseline requirement for making Prayer anything less than COMPLETELY insufferable. Whatevs, I'll just do slayer until I get the 5 effigies I need to make up that 200k XP, or get 92 FM this weekend, finish the Varrock Elite Tasks, and be down to 50k to 95 prayer :shrug:

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 4, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Spergminer posted:

No. Gilded altar doesn't work. Ectofuntus doesn't work. Skill armour doesn't work. You got the following:
Constant double exp and bonus exp for a 4x bonus.

Every single in-game exp increaser will be disabled. You can still use them but you won't get mad exp.

edit: http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Bonus_XP_Weekend

A few things on that list now convert their charge into bonus exp like the pennance horn and sacred clay, or so I heard.

So we are getting double + bonus exp then? That's pcool. I have NO idea what i'll do or prepare for. Maybe div the entire time and try to get my 90 minimum skill back. But :effort:

Apple Craft posted:

My first update was the removal of worldwide pvp and the addition of the wilderness. I own your lawn, eat your lunch, and you'll watch and like it. :colbert:
:sigh:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

My first update was the removal of worldwide pvp and the addition of the wilderness. I own your lawn, eat your lunch, and you'll watch and like it. :colbert:
:sigh:

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE

Well, I'm a tremendous loser and will most likely waste my bonus XP since I don't have enough money to get a significant level in Herblore or Summoning.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Welp, Runescape hangs when it tries to detect my graphics settings. Guess I'm not playing Runescape at work anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Welp, Runescape hangs when it tries to detect my graphics settings. Guess I'm not playing Runescape at work anymore.

Maximize then window your screen. Sometimes it freezes up on the screen but the game keeps running and that seems to 'refresh' it.

• Locked thread