Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Devious Vacuum posted:

Well, I already have platinum, so if I attach the file here, then what happens?

EDIT: OHO I SEE

DOUBLE EDIT: If I need a mod's permission I apologize for making A Thing about this, carry on.

Just adding the image link worked fine a year ago when I got the Troll Slaiyers tag. Although I'm not sure if you can use an attachment, I think it has to be in someone's profile at first. Either that, or Ozma asking the QCS regulars about the usefulness of gangtangs resulted in a rather poorly timed change.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

my dad posted:

Just adding the image link worked fine a year ago when I got the Troll Slaiyers tag. Although I'm not sure if you can use an attachment, I think it has to be in someone's profile at first. Either that, or Ozma asking the QCS regulars about the usefulness of gangtangs resulted in a rather poorly timed change.

Aww, balls. :( I so want this to be a thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Devious Vacuum posted:

Ah yes, the Let's Pladdies, the masculine form of Video Dames.

"Video Dames" is clearly the best option.

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure it just has to be someone's avatar. The existing "fake" gang tags are avatars, not attached images.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

"Video Dames" is clearly the best option.

I'm pretty sure it just has to be someone's avatar. The existing "fake" gang tags are avatars, not attached images.

I just tested the preview, and the [img] tags work if the gang tag image is someone's avatar (like your saints row one) but for the attachment that Vacuum uploaded, it didn't work. So if someone really wants to waste money either changing their title twice, or sticking the avatar on someone else's account, we can all waste even more money adding the tag to our titles! :buddy:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Meis posted:

I just tested the preview, and the [img] tags work if the gang tag image is someone's avatar (like your saints row one) but for the attachment that Vacuum uploaded, it didn't work. So if someone really wants to waste money either changing their title twice, or sticking the avatar on someone else's account, we can all waste even more money adding the tag to our titles! :buddy:

Surely someone has a parachute account they only use for, say, particularly embarrassing E/N confessions. I know you're out there.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Okay, enough about gang tags. We can just have gang tags in our hearts! But silly avatars are still highly encouraged!

:siren: HERE'S AN UPDATE :siren:

with Siren

My soul sister Grasslamb (aka Siren) joins me as I completely ruin everything.

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
I think the festival going on in the background is Roskilde festival, judging by the tent. Not that it explains anything, but there you go.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Why target your advertising when you can just spam it everywhere with no consideration of who's seeing it!

...Though I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of these sites had a large "desperate teenage boy" userbase. And programmer base.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I can verify that the first four sad girl games are exactly the same. Much of the art is just replicated from game to game.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
All of this hair-plucking game play is just ripping off the Wario Ware series.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Ghoulia is the best of the Monster High bunch and I'll hear nothing else on the subject. :colbert:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

tlarn posted:

Ghoulia is the best of the Monster High bunch and I'll hear nothing else on the subject. :colbert:

Oh my god, Ghoulia. Thank you for showing me this. My faith in Girl Games is restored.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The other day I got a very important message on Ask.fm, and that person convinced me to make a clarification for this thread:

The message I got was related to Girl Games and trans women. I want to clarify that while the games we're making fun of are blatantly exclusionary on many levels, in this thread, we are all girls. These games want to define "girls" strictly and narrowly, so in this thread, I want to do the opposite. The bad messages in these games effect everyone, so therefore everyone is girls. Including everyone who identifies as female, which includes trans women, or, as I like to call them, women.

When I react to and analyze these games, I am going to start with what offends me personally, but of course that is not going to always be the same for the rest of you. People with different experiences and backgrounds will have additional things to say about why these games are dumb and bad. I have no authority to speak on behalf of a trans woman, a queer woman, a woman of color, A MAN, and so on, about how these games affect them except on a very superficial level. But that's why I made this thread!

I want you to tell me, and I am eager to hear your opinons and experiences. Ultimately, I want to increase my own awareness of all these issues and the awareness of the entire thread as well! It's no good to go around tearing down only some problematic aspects of these games. If you are reading the thread, if you are experiencing these games, then your opinions are valid and you will be heard here.

Okay, now go back to making silly .gifs, thank you everyone.

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 30, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I think the message we can get from all of these kissing games is that "love who you want (as long as it's the opposite gender), but public displays of affection are icky so don't let people see you enjoy things".

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
yeah, but I'm the most girls :sparkles:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dyslexiactic posted:

yeah, but I'm the most girls :sparkles:.

Well, you're the prom queen.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Speaking as a man, they don't have much direct effect on me, except that they perpetuate these lovely stereotypes and cultural attitudes, and as a result I have to deal with
A: Women who've been convinced they have to behave this way
B: Men who've been convinced women have to behave this way

The women in question make me feel a bit sad, and on a personal level I tend to find them boring. That makes me sound like a terrible person, so let me just stress that I'm not saying they are bad people, or worth less in any respect just because they bore me - War & Peace isn't a bad book just because I can't stand reading it, after all.
But it does mean that it's another group of people who I can't find much in common with, and that's a shame.

The men in question are even worse, because they'll often act like assholes towards any woman who doesn't follow the standards. So not only are they unpleasant to be around, but they also stifle women who might have more interesting (to me, anyway) personalities if they didn't have to fear being sneered at by a pack of misogynistic assholes.

Obviously, my problems here are rather less troublesome than the problems of women who have to deal with all the social pressures these things help apply, but...

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 30, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The_White_Crane posted:

Obviously, my problems here are rather less troublesome than the problems of women who have to deal with all the social pressures these things help apply, but...

And also, I think the biggest issue that all the boring ol' straight white cis men reading this thread can consider IS: what if you wanted to enjoy any of these so-called "girl" things, while still being a straight white cis man? Everyone would probably make fun of you. And ISN'T THAT BULLSHIT? What, you're not allowed to like certain things now? The gently caress is that? The only person in charge of defining who you are is you! Who are these other people telling you who you are just because of what you like?

And, boom, now you're on the same side.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Those ads are really making me super sad. Especially depressing in context of this thread. I mean, I'm kinda used to them, but just seeing them appear in the video made my soul crack a little bit.

tlarn posted:

Holy poo poo this is great. Is the rest of this show like this or is Ghoulia just great?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

The_White_Crane posted:

Don't worry. You can be a Girl with us in this thread if you want. Girlhood for everyone!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Knockknees posted:

Don't worry. You can be a Girl with us in this thread if you want. Girlhood for everyone!
Thanks, Oprah!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Here's a little piece of inexplicable copyright infringement I found on my travels.

Yup, it's Critter Crunch sprites! I dunno what the rest of the sprites are, but they're probably stolen from something as well.
Nope, I have no idea why they used those sprites. It's not like they were advertising this game as "Critter Crunch Flash" or "Critter Crunch: Kritter Kissing" like these games usually do when they steal assets or properties for their low-effort click bait.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 30, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Devious Vacuum posted:

Oh my god, Ghoulia. Thank you for showing me this. My faith in Girl Games is restored.

Mordaedil posted:

Holy poo poo this is great. Is the rest of this show like this or is Ghoulia just great?

Far as I know, there's a bunch of those webisodes if you look around on Youtube, I think the ones I linked are on the official channel. They're all a handful of minutes, short, but of all the ones I've seen, the ones with Ghoulia are gold. Such an awesome character when juxtaposed with her high school buddies. :allears:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tlarn posted:

I was kinda furious at EVEN MONSTERS MUST BE SEXY, but holy poo poo, Ghoulia is the best.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Most of the Monster High characters are typical archetypes, but each of them have a few traits beyond "love of shopping and makeup" or whatever. The plant monster, Venus, is a radical environmentalist. Draculaura, the vampire, is a vegan. Operetta, the phantom, has a passion for rockabilly music. Even the more shallow characters often demonstrate a distaste for disloyalty or for spreading rumours. More or less, Monster High is about embracing your uniqueness.

Since it is all geared toward selling dolls, there are problems, like how all of the girls were high heels, extravagant makeup, and rather immodest clothing. Whoever's writing the webseries tries to give it some depth, at least. The dolls can be fun, though; one recent doll of Abbey, the yeti, came with a little chainsaw meant for ice sculpting.

Maybe now would be a good time to mention that Devious Vacuum called me xXxBratzFan69xXx on twitter yesterday.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Even though I'm a dude, I still definitely want to see more women of colour in games and more queer women, since those are demographics that I'm in a better position to comment on, and because it's important to me to see those characters represented. I want my friends and relatives to be comfortable in gaming, too!

I swear to god the number of games where you can customise your character but not have believable black hair. It's always these giant-rear end afros and I can't bring myself to go down that road. Sure with women there's a pressure for Afro-Caribbean girls to straighten their hair and those options are abundant. Not so much with dudes though (and I couldn't picture myself with straightened hair anyway).

My morbid curiosity wants to see more of these racist girl games. I will be rating them based on size of afro and diameter of hoop earrings.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
My precious daughter is a sad girl (five) because I'm dressing her up in horrid clothing to reinforce my unfair standards of beauty.

At least Abbey Bominable got some pretty rad hair, but that might just be par for the Monster High course. Although I'm starting to wonder what's with all these awkward dress up poses. Lying down, sitting depressed on the floor. I'm also kind of bummed that you can't decide to have no makeup on. I get that that's part of the point of the games in general, but I'd like more options please!

Edit: I just had to play Polka Dot Fashion 2 and I found this gem of UI design.

See those sparkles all over the place? They actually block off the UI elements so good luck trying to click anywhere they are covering. Also, they pulsate and it's a little obnoxious.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 30, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Devious Vacuum posted:

And also, I think the biggest issue that all the boring ol' straight white cis men reading this thread can consider IS: what if you wanted to enjoy any of these so-called "girl" things, while still being a straight white cis man? Everyone would probably make fun of you. And ISN'T THAT BULLSHIT? What, you're not allowed to like certain things now? The gently caress is that? The only person in charge of defining who you are is you! Who are these other people telling you who you are just because of what you like?

So we're like the people in those kiss in secret games: men play these terrible flash games and instantly tab out whenever someone might look at our computer screens?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Patter Song posted:

So we're like the people in those kiss in secret games: men play these terrible flash games and instantly tab out whenever someone might look at our computer screens?

I do that no matter what I'm playing, though, ranging from Pokémon to GTA to dress-up games. I always have a webpage with nothing but text open that I can safely alt-tab to in order to get people to not ask me things about what I'm doing.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Six Of Spades posted:

Sure with women there's a pressure for Afro-Caribbean girls to straighten their hair and those options are abundant. Not so much with dudes though (and I couldn't picture myself with straightened hair anyway).

Chris Rock did a documentary called "Good Hair" that focuses on the evolution of the pressure to either have straightened hair, or the best weave money can buy. It's pretty interesting, and at times sobering, particularly when you see a toddler getting her hair straightened for the first time.

When people talk about the high standards of beauty women are held to, they don't often think about that. I know girls that hate getting their hair straightened, but have it done anyway for fear of people judging them if they leave it natural.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
When it came to having dudes understanding what it's like to be frustrated with how your sex/gender is portrayed, a recent example I like to use for others is to point to Disney's Brave and ask that they pay close attention to how the men are portrayed.

Once I started noticing it when I watched it the first time, I kept cringing more as it got worse. All the men putting on airs and trying to out-man each other, getting their sons in on it too. And the one guy who's all suave and manly loses his everloving poo poo when he performs less than perfectly at the archery event.

God, and then when they go on a crusade through the castle for the bear, they go on a chase and end up on the roof thanks to their manliness. I forget if this was before or after they were ready to declare war on each other's clans by continuing to escalate and escalate, but that was pretty bad too; it gets confounded with the idea of clans and loyalty, but masculinity's mixed in there too.

And right at the end, no, they gotta give you one last dollop of it with the old men staring at the wife after she's no longer under the bearcurse and she's "nude as a wee babby" under what's covering her, and it was the husband that had to shoo them off. Because we just can't help ourselves, drat it. :arghfist::reject:

Then you remember that, for women, it's like that with just about anything, having a crude characterization placed upon you because of who you are, to the point that the gender is the joke.

It sucks and it's terrible that it's so pervasive and easy to fall into.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

sunsweet posted:

Maybe now would be a good time to mention that Devious Vacuum called me xXxBratzFan69xXx on twitter yesterday.

So that was you! I think that Monster High has some modern sensibility about it for sure, but it's still about super-skinny, conventionally beautiful girls, which is always going to be a problem with dolls forever. There's a robot one whose problem is her "internal clock" is off so she is "always late." That made me mad, because "not understanding social signals" is totally a thing that would apply and would be a fantastic way of referencing real problems kids actually have.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Devious Vacuum posted:

Oh yeah. Some days when it's hot, I wish I could wear a skirt instead of trousers.
But while I'm pretty good at ignoring pointless social constraints and dressing like a mad pirate-cowboy, that would still be enough to make me feel uncomfortable.
:sigh:

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Devious Vacuum posted:

So that was you! I think that Monster High has some modern sensibility about it for sure, but it's still about super-skinny, conventionally beautiful girls, which is always going to be a problem with dolls forever. There's a robot one whose problem is her "internal clock" is off so she is "always late." That made me mad, because "not understanding social signals" is totally a thing that would apply and would be a fantastic way of referencing real problems kids actually have.

The closest they've really come to a character that misunderstands social cues is the yeti, Abbey. English isn't her native language and she's used to speaking with brevity, due to the thin mountain air of her old home. They don't really do much with her misunderstandings, though, which is a shame. For how incredibly popular the brand is with young children, it would be nice if they tried elaborating more on issues that kids actually have.

Going by some of the doll part kits they've released, I think Mattel would do a lot more with different bodies if they weren't so focused on having all of the clothes fit universally. As you said, it's always going to be a problem with dolls, especially ones from a company like Mattel.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I had a big long post to go here. I'm sure it was insightful and stuff, maybe a little personal, but I'm sure it had good points. Then I realised, I can make these points better, and quicker:

- We're taught to fear the different in schools, through such wonderful programs as "Stranger Danger" (an example from my childhood, but there are still analagous things being taught by parents and teachers alike)
- This has unintended side effects to personal expression, creativity, and the like. Namely, people try to crush them through bullying, disapproval, and social isolation. Even people belonging to the most well adjusted circles of family and friends can probably attest to something like this happening at least once with people who are generally cool.
- This just supports my two personal pet theories: That humans, collectively, are nigh-irredeemable assholes, and that the only thing that really makes us special is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in our heads at the same time, usually with a conditional modifier that makes the main statement a lie (My personal favourite for this is: I'm not racist, BUT. Sounds like racism, or a lie, and it sometimes is, then you realise there are people who genuinely believe they're not racist, but hold racist beliefs.) EDIT 2: I didn't explain this too well, hope somebody understands what I'm getting at.

EDIT: As an aside, I've been inwardly gritting my teeth every video, because this "You must look like this" thing truly pisses me off. I also know that I'm not much no better.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 31, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 23, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The message is more insidious than that. It's more like "be (sexually) forward with boys, but don't let your parents find out." It reminds girls to maintain a facade of sexual purity at all times, while also telling them not to seek out any sort of guidance that might help them actually be prepared for an intimate relationship. Kissing games are the worst. Burn down kissing games.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Kissing games are sort of an interesting facet of the bizarre, mixed up, and hosed up messages teenage and younger girls get about their sexuality. I always say that the group of people with the most hosed up sense of sexuality are teenage girls. Teen girls hosed up sexuality pretty much explains the popularity of that Teen Franchise That Must Not Be Named.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I cracked up at the stoned fairy. That'd make another great avatar, I think.

I'd never heard of Monster High before today, so this is based on only those two clips that were linked to. Ghoulia seems amazing, but the rest... hmm.

It got me thinking: what are some cartoons aimed at young(er?) people that are entertaining and have not-too-terribly-hosed-up messages? Well there may be a lot, I dunno; my brain went straight to Daria and got stuck there. drat I loved that show.

In the 90s I was a teenager growing up in a small country town in Australia. It's easy to forget how isolating that can be if you don't really fit in, considering for example that the Internet wasn't really much of a thing yet. So the first time that intro came on, it was like a revelation. "That's me! (Only female.) I'm not the only one like this!"

I remember it being really good overall at promoting individuality and whatnot. It's been years since I've watched it, though. I wonder how well it holds up today.

• Locked thread