Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Good Skills!

I like how, in the title screen of that electric baby game, fuckin everything in that room is shooting bolts of hot lightning into that kid, and he's just sitting there like it ain't a thing. That babby thunder god is faking it for attention :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Today is the LA Marathon, so I have barricaded myself in my apartment and I'm gonna play some Girl Games in like half an hour:

SirArthurIV
Feb 15, 2014

Zoe posted:

...also, holy poo poo, I just realized Amazon is selling all the old Carmen Sandiego cartoons for $7. Forget my nieces, time to go hang out with the greatest female role model from my childhood for awhile...
Carmen Sandiego from that show is probably the best role model for little girls ever. Someday, you too may attempt to steal the sphinx.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Devious Vacuum posted:

Today is the LA Marathon, so I have barricaded myself in my apartment and I'm gonna play some Girl Games in like half an hour:

Too close for twitch, switching to hitbox: http://www.hitbox.tv/DeviousVacuum

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Devious Vacuum posted:

Too close for twitch, switching to hitbox: http://www.hitbox.tv/DeviousVacuum

Too close for hitbox, switching to instagib: http://instagib.tv/dvacattack

EDIT: All done. Thanks for putting up with me!

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 10, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

No website can truly handle the glory of girl games

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Are you going to put the stream up on YouTube, DVac?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Equeen posted:

Are you going to put the stream up on YouTube, DVac?

Yes, but only the parts I deem the least shameful.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
So you aren't going to upload it?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

Yes, but only the parts I deem the least shameful.
Well what's the point if you're just going to cut out the best bits? :colbert:

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I hope the whole instagib segment of Secret of the Magic Crystal(s) gets uploaded so we can see the slow madness creep over everyone. It's also a fitting follow-up to those Mary-Kate and Ashley DDR ripoffs.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
The new South Park game has a pretty spot on send up of these types of games when the player character is forced to pose as a girl:

http://youtu.be/HkSP-I9AWZc?t=15m39s

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
A possible comment:
"Oh my Celestia! You finally played the games that Hasbro(ny) has made for the show's intilegent and machewer audience! Those puzzle games were so hard! Finally we have proof (more like hoof, amirite?) that this show isn't made for little children!" posted by twinklespark69

Please don't put the pony part on youtube, even if you disable comments.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to get that. :(

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
4 hours til my stream! Included will be me being really bad at games! Woo!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Starting in <15 minutes. Be there or miss out on probably awful game playing!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Horsestream is recorded in two parts!

Part 1 on Twitch (hopefully soon on YouTube):

Part 2 on YouTube:

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 12, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Click for video

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Friends don't let friends
play horse games

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I was looking through potential girl games in the Google Playstore, but they are all so samey and boring. Luckily, I found a few that speak to me.

This speaks to me. Welcome to Celebrity Baby Salon, where we can raise Baby Lady Gaga, Baby Bieber, Baby Avril Lavigne, Baby Person I Don't Recognize, or...

Baby Michael Jackson. I, uh, yeah. I'm going with Beiber because I think recent news stories have proven that he needed better parental guidance.

We start by standing over his bed and staring at him until he wakes up. We can tickle him with a feather, ring his alarm clock, or play with that weird remote to wake him up.

Do you think baby Beiber is giant or that all his furniture is tiny? I like to believe the answer is somewhere in the middle.

We need to drive Babby Beibs to his numerous appointments! Driving in this game is broken so you have no choice but to drive in a straight line no matter how you turn the wheel.

Much like myself, Justin's clothes are stored in a totally different building miles away from the one he sleeps in.

I just created my perfect Baby Justin and slapped him on a magazine. Apparently blue cheetah print parts are what's hot now.

Now it's time to feed Baby B. His lunch consists of cupcakes, coffee (which you can't serve black because he's a wuss) and tea. I'm very jealous of this virtual child.

Okay, now the day is winding down and we have to give him a bath. Much like my bathroom, there's no light except a single spotlight. Oh, there's also no way to get him clean. I tried everything and he will just not get clean. Baby Beibs is going to bed dirty, I guess.

And we end the day by injecting our baby with unknown fluids. Cool! He head looks longer here than other places... maybe that's why we're injecting him? Oh well, the game ends here.

Oh, but there's another game I took I liking to.

Remember about how Shrek was all about changing yourself on the outside to be more appealing to others? The makers of this gem do! Also the resolution isn't great so there are black bars on the side.

To play this game, we customize both Shrek and Fiona. I'm only going to show off Shrek because you're doing the same thing twice and he's the real star here.

Shrek's developed some kind of terrible dirt rash on is skin but he seems kinda smug about it.

Luckily, we can get rid of the dirt on his face by smearing mud all over it. That's how it works right?

Shrek still has a lot of nasty pimples on him, but we can somehow fix this by delicately rubbing orange onto his face.

Now we fix the bags under his eyes by rubbing not one, but two blue gradients on him. This game has a lot of surprising twists and turns! Also, for Fiona, the first blue treatment covers her entire face, has flowers mixed in, and takes 12 hours. That's extreme beauty treatment that is Girls Only.

Look at Shrek's pleading eyes. He's smiling but he does not want to become a beautiful man. But he doesn't have a choice. I'm trimming his monobrow.

Finally we have to dress Shrek up for his wedding. We could send him out like this but I have plans.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My god. Those Shrek faces. :stare:

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Now hang on a minute. We all know that trolls consider pimples and blemishes to be marks of beauty, so why do we have a game where you make Shrek ugly by troll standards, for his wedding of all things? Terrible, just cruel. Yet another example of cultural insensitivity in video games.

Edit: VVVVV Oh no, it's me! I'm the problem with girl games!

Crigit fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 13, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Crigit posted:

Now hang on a minute. We all know that trolls consider pimples and blemishes to be marks of beauty, so why do we have a game where you make Shrek ugly by troll standards, for his wedding of all things? Terrible, just cruel. Yet another example of cultural insensitivity in video games.

Because he's an ogre, not a troll. :colbert:

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
When I was last in Fiji I bought a sulu. Which is a cultural garment for both genders, not a Star Trek character, I swear. It's actually... Basically a skirt. I like it. And I wear it from time to time, even though I'm home now. It's great on hot days.

I've never had anyone comment on it, or even give me weird looks. I'm not sure if people even notice. Also, I'm a white male, so that's really neat, I guess. Go New Zealand, whoo.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

Bacchante posted:

I've never had anyone comment on it, or even give me weird looks. I'm not sure if people even notice. Also, I'm a white male, so that's really neat, I guess. Go New Zealand, whoo.
I see lots of white males wearing Sulu here in New Zealand. It's cool to see. Though, as usual, with it comes the misunderstanding of the culture behind it.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Killrrhubarb posted:

I see lots of white males wearing Sulu here in New Zealand. It's cool to see. Though, as usual, with it comes the misunderstanding of the culture behind it.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, although I'd like to know? We have Fijian friends there who took us shopping, and with their help I made sure to pick one out that wouldn't be seen as formal attire. It's a part of school uniforms there, which I think is cool. Even beat cops wear them. I often wonder what that does for chasing down criminals.

Although, obviously, there are still gender disparity and identity problems... Wherever you go, really. Just... Different ones, often.

EDIT: ... Wait, 'here' in New Zealand? Whoo, more kiwis on the internet. You're not from Dargaville, are you? Seems that wherever I go in the world, digitally or otherwise, I always run into someone from Dargaville.

Bacchante fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 13, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Bacchante posted:

When I was last in Fiji I bought a sulu. Which is a cultural garment for both genders, not a Star Trek character, I swear. It's actually... Basically a skirt. I like it. And I wear it from time to time, even though I'm home now. It's great on hot days.

A previous member of my lab (before I worked there) apparently used to wear a sarong on hot days, which was basically a skirt, because that's what he did growing up in South Africa. Everyone in the lab made fun of him, so he stopped :-(

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Devious Vacuum posted:

A previous member of my lab (before I worked there) apparently used to wear a sarong on hot days, which was basically a skirt, because that's what he did growing up in South Africa. Everyone in the lab made fun of him, so he stopped :-(

Oh, that's sad. I can understand making fun of a local member of your culture for wearing 'gender incorrect' clothing... Understand, mind, not approve of. But if it's someone from a completely different culture then that's just ignorant. Obviously, there shouldn't be any judgement for what you want to wear regardless of what it is since the only thing that makes us think something is 'wrong' in that regard is culture, but at the very least I think that being accepting of the dress standards of cultures not your own ought to be a good first step. That's not even entirely a girls versus boys issue, although it sounds like the people in your lab made it into one.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Bacchante posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, although I'd like to know? We have Fijian friends there who took us shopping, and with their help I made sure to pick one out that wouldn't be seen as formal attire. It's a part of school uniforms there, which I think is cool. Even beat cops wear them. I often wonder what that does for chasing down criminals.

Although, obviously, there are still gender disparity and identity problems... Wherever you go, really. Just... Different ones, often.
I wasn't meaning you. I was meaning that some people wear Sulu without understanding the culture. Also, there's kinda been a fashionification of Fijian and other tribal wear, similar to what is happening in America with Native American clothing. It's degrading to the culture. Obviously you put a lot of thought into which Sulu you picked out, but there's people that don't care about it as much.

Bacchante posted:

EDIT: ... Wait, 'here' in New Zealand? Whoo, more kiwis on the internet. You're not from Dargaville, are you? Seems that wherever I go in the world, digitally or otherwise, I always run into someone from Dargaville.
Nope!

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Ah. Yes. I recall the culture appropriation dress-up games we encountered earlier. That's a fair point. But here's a question for you, then. If someone picks something out that happens to be from another culture simply because they think it looks pretty and then wears it, how bad do you think that is?

On the one hand, they're ignorant of what they're wearing and that can be a problem if, say, it turns out to be something sacred. A good example I can think of from NZ is appropriation of Maori designs for tattoos picked out by white kids in a parlor 'cause they think it looks rad.

Yet, on the other hand, how much is that their fault as opposed to the distributor's? If they're offering these things to anyone without bothering to explain the meaning of it then should we be upset with the people who buy them?

Of course, it's totally okay to be grumpy with the companies that created and distributed Tribal Girl Dressup. I do feel a tad sorry for the programmers and artists.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Bacchante posted:

Yet, on the other hand, how much is that their fault as opposed to the distributor's? If they're offering these things to anyone without bothering to explain the meaning of it then should we be upset with the people who buy them?

This is exactly The Question, and something that is always discussed when this kind of stuff happens in real life. But also I agree that the majority of the blame goes to the distributors.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

I agree with DeVac in saying that it's mostly the distributors fault. The least they could do is include a small little information tag with the garment and inform the people that buy them.

For example, I get a little bit annoyed when I see people with the Maori tattoos that signify royalty. The most common one used to be Princess, but there's been a lot of sudden popularity for the other three, especially Prince and King. But generally I think that they don't know what it means and they chose it because it looks cool, and no other reason. So it's the artist's fault for not informing them before they got it. If they knew what it meant before they got it, well that's another kettle of fish.

Princesses were pretty baller, though, I can see why you'd want to be one. Strong, Tough, always carried a weapon, had a lot of power...

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

I'm told that, pre-contact, Maori culture used to be a lot more respectful towards both women and children. A lot of the family violence issues you hear about nowadays stem from the introduction of the European culture which believed women were nonentities and children should be seen and not heard. And that issues with either could be corrected via the back of the hand.

In regards to culture, I'd actually quite like a to get Tā moko one day. But that's because I can, in fact, claim membership to Te Āti Awa. It's not something I'm comfortable doing, however, until I can learn to speak Te Reo, can explain the full extent of my heritage to someone if they ask and the significance of the tattoo, I won't do it.

Devious Vacuum posted:

This is exactly The Question, and something that is always discussed when this kind of stuff happens in real life. But also I agree that the majority of the blame goes to the distributors.

Exactly. We're not mad at you for playing these games, especially since you're being informative about it. And if I saw a young girl on some of those I'd do my best to talk to her about it and see if I could get across some sort of idea of that being wrong. That said, a young child shouldn't really have to be concerned with things quite as heavy as that... Better to steer them to something less harmful and be done with it.

... So, I really ought to contribute something to this thread. How about some Polly Pocket Flash Games, DeVac?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I also loved the Spice Girls when I was 10.

EDIT: It kinda sounds like she's hiccuping to me now.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Bacchante posted:

... So, I really ought to contribute something to this thread. How about some Polly Pocket Flash Games, DeVac?

You have already contributed a lot to the thread with your discussion. :)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Killrrhubarb posted:

Princesses were pretty baller, though, I can see why you'd want to be one. Strong, Tough, always carried a weapon, had a lot of power...

Is there an epic poem about a woman using her enemies' blood as lipstick?

I think that is what is happening here.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Bacchante posted:

Go for it! I actually have Polly Pocket on my master list of games to look at, so it would be cool if someone else oh god help free me from the girl games prison

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Devious Vacuum posted:

Go for it! I actually have Polly Pocket on my master list of games to look at, so it would be cool if someone else oh god help free me from the girl games prison

You never knew the gilded cage you were trapping yourself in until you reached the horse games, did you, DVac? Now you can never escape.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Devious Vacuum posted:

Hey, you're the one who came into the Nancy Drew stream of her own volition. :cheeky:

How's that Youtube link for the first half of the pony stream coming along, incidentally? (I missed the live viewing because Pins was playing Frolf.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Yapping Eevee posted:

How's that Youtube link for the first half of the pony stream coming along, incidentally? (I missed the live viewing because Pins was playing Frolf.)

I don't think Twitch will upload it for me - maybe it's too long? Maybe it's better that way, though. Maybe Twitch knows that no more My Little Pony needs to be uploaded to YouTube.

• Locked thread