Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

gnome7 posted:

Holy poo poo that Reverse Makeover game is REALLY NOT OKAY. Why does that exist. Why does this exist. ARGH.

Yeah, that was appalling. It reminded me of those 'games' where they get a photo of someone's face and simulate bashing them up. Not a good thing to be reminiscent of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Thirding the horror from the Reverse Makeover game. :magical: Is that why you said it's the penultimate video, DeVac? Are you finally scraping the very bottom of girl games?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Aithon posted:

...scraping the very bottom...
What are the odds of there being a girl game about that?

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
Holy gently caress, that reverse makeover! I had to stop looking when she started chewing on rocks. I felt like it was some surreal look into people suffering from depression.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Sorry D Vac, I couldn't watch past the Reverse Makeover (Chewing rocks wtf :stonk:)

I'm sad this is coming to an end though, this is my favourite LP on the forums. Thanks for all your amazing work.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh my God, that rock-chewing :stonk:

Shame this LP has to end, but it's been an amazing ride, DVac.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I uh. Gendered Shampoo and soap. WHAT. Have these people even interacted with parents? Because all the parents and children I've interacted with have reinforced the value of satisficing and 1 size fits all solutions.

Also, my mother and neices and nephews all use my shampoo.

Edit: Also, it's a vampire baby. Just feed her some blood and she should regenerate

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 15, 2014

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Let's Play Disney City Girl - 3 - The Revenge of the Girl Games

Our friendship is really low. Let's go visit Jenna!

Travelling. This is what shows up when you go to work, before the stock images as well.

Achievements just for visiting a friends house!
Anyway, let's stop spamming images and talk to her.

Wow, rude, she doesn't even know who we are. I'll wave at her, I guess.

Suddenly we are Close Friends!

That was fast.
Let's see if being a close friend let's us do anything new...

Ah, yes, that's more like it. Anyway, after getting our hygiene up in her bathroom, let's see what Tasha wants.

Think your job is easy so far? Better get ready, it's about to heat up!
Tomorrow we begin testing an oven for a client.
Just how rigorous have the tests been to get that UL label? You're about to see!

Hmm... Let's go get that coffee maker.

There's all sorts of categories here but I think a coffee maker would be in Kitchen. Could be in Electrical, though.

Found it. It was in electrical. Now let's get a cabinet to put it down on.

What? This cabinet requires assembly? Screw that, my coffee maker can just go on the floor.

Perfect. Now let's check the UL label in the most safe and convenient place for a coffee maker to be. While we're at it, my might as well check the Microwave as well. And the laptop...

I'll tell you one thing. Playing Disney City Girl does not raise my happiness level up.

Finished that Quest. Here you can see the reward we'll get for completing all of Tasha's Quests, and we level up again. Let's start another with Tasha.

The tests that we need to perform to certify this oven are no small potatoes!
Trust me, we'll be using very BIG potatoes for the fire containment test.
But before we get to that part, we're going to thoroughly examine this specimen our client's sent us.

Mastering the first job was a breeze, but the next job requires us to be professional. Business casual here we come!

I only make 13 dollars with this amazing outfit? Let's go shopping and see if we can get more!

This new top only puts us up to 19, but I've got no money left, so it'll have to do.

While we wait the 9 minutes till work is unlocked again, I'm going to see what Jenna wants.

We should catch up, it's been a long time since college! Come over to my place and tell me EVERYTHING!

Okay, back to Jennas Place. We've done most the tasks already. The only task left is to Watch TV with her. Let's do that!

Apparently I didn't bother taking a screenshot of them watching TV together. Oh well. The movie that plays is the Opening Cutscene to this game, by the way.

Life is SO much more fun with friends! Invite yours to join you in the Big Apple!

We get Jenna's key as a reward for finishing that quest. We must be very close friends.

Hmm... it's still 4 minutes to work, we've got a quest from Jenna and Olivia. I'll see what Olivia wants.

In no time you'll be climbing the corporate ladder! I think it's about time you visited the professional clothing store: Hart & Gray!

She wants us to buy clothes from Hart & Gray, which I've done twice already. Well, back to the store, I suppose.

I just ended up buying tights. They were 395 silver and I didn't have money for anything else.

In the meantime I finished yet another day at work, so 1 more before I have mastered that job and can finish Tasha's Quest. Hopefully that is soon.

I got my needs up so I wasn't dying, then I got bored waiting and decided to get my needs all the way to the top stat: Dazzling. Below Dazzling is Well Dressed and I don't know what's below that because I haven't got that low. But after all that I had a look at Jenna's Quest.

You're definitely going to want to keep your needs balanced. Why? So you can become DAZZLING, of course!

I swear I didn't plan any of this in advance.

I just have to look at my dazzle in the mirror to finish. Let's do that!

With 2 minutes left I just decide to wait it out rather than start another quest. This page is already getting long enough.

Finally Finished, and Mastered. With the end of the Girl Games thread coming soon, this will probably be the last update of City Girl. I hope everyone enjoyed. :)

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Killrrhubarb posted:

What? This cabinet requires assembly? Screw that, my coffee maker can just go on the floor.

A store that sells furniture that doesn't even provide its own screws and Allen wrench is a store not worth shopping at, in my book.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
As a tattoo artist myself, I was delighted to learn that a tattoo can be applied using only the needle and tube assembly...

This is great to know, because a good tattoo machine runs upwards of $5-600 and I can save a TON of money by not using one!

(here's how the needle and tube attach to a tattoo machine in the real world)

I know, a girl game getting something wrong? Say it ain't so!

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I was going to express some sadness at the fact that this thread is reaching its end, but after Reverse Makeover, I'm not sure what to say anymore. :stonk:

FrozenCherry
Nov 12, 2013

Well, that was one of the most disturbing girl games videos. But, at least, learn how to give myself a reverse makeover!

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Is there any chance when this is all through of seeing a "best"/creepiest of the LP compilation video? I really enjoyed seeing Wondrous and Fascinating games such as Boyfriend Trainer and Flirting in the Street but got somewhat bored in watching a lot of sifting through watching a lot of very similar dress up/makeover games to get to the "gems". Anyway thanks for bravely delving the depths of Girl Games for us

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

asvodel posted:

Is there any chance when this is all through of seeing a "best"/creepiest of the LP compilation video? I really enjoyed seeing Wondrous and Fascinating games such as Boyfriend Trainer and Flirting in the Street but got somewhat bored in watching a lot of sifting through watching a lot of very similar dress up/makeover games to get to the "gems". Anyway thanks for bravely delving the depths of Girl Games for us

I dunno! Maybe someone else can make that video. I didn't know which ones were going to have the most impact when I recorded them.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Devious Vacuum posted:

I didn't know which ones were going to have the most impact when I recorded them.

Don't lie; you knew games like Happy Cute Puppy and Beautiful Car were going to make waves.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Your campaign slogan was "Legalize it*", right?

*Girl Games

SirArthurIV
Feb 15, 2014
I was thinking. Would the NES Little Mermaid game count as a girl game? It is a game that's targeted at young girls as the primary audience...but it doesn't suck donkey nuts, and doesn't have any dress-up stuff. It does have a negative message, but that message is "Deals with the Devil work out all right in the end."

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

SirArthurIV posted:

I was thinking. Would the NES Little Mermaid game count as a girl game? It is a game that's targeted at young girls as the primary audience...but it doesn't suck donkey nuts, and doesn't have any dress-up stuff. It does have a negative message, but that message is "Deals with the Devil work out all right in the end."

The message of The Little Mermaid is "change yourself for a man." So yes.

Yes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Devious Vacuum posted:

Yes.

The Little Mermaid is the Girl Gamest of movies.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Devious Vacuum posted:

Yes.

So how about Cinderella? The messages there seem to be mixed to me.

1) "Haters gonna hate."
2) "Just because you aren't a princess on the outside doesn't mean you aren't one on the inside."
3) "'On the outside' refers to the trappings, not the physical beauty. So if you're not beautiful like a princess, you're not one."

Also, for added irony, you could plausibly take this message away from it.
"It takes a lot of magic and bullshit to look like what everyone believes the standards of beauty say you should look like."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The message of Cinderella is that old men go super cuckoo nuts over grandchildren.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Hello my precious flowers,

may I present to you,

the conclusion:

with the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

with Miley and DVac's Sex Couch

fin.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I felt little pains in my heart when I thought how much money might have been spent on that green goop that would have been better used for...

...Nothing. Nothing at all. Both videos are a good ending point, DVac, look forward to seeing this in archives!

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
I'll never forget you Tomato Boy. You will always be my one.

Les Peche
Jan 29, 2008

Juicy
What a sublime end to an awesome series of videos, I learned so many beauty secrets.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Goldmine.

Also, that last video is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. Congrats.

But also: Goldmine.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Probably one of the best lps the forums has had, sad it's over.

Contouring

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Never thought I'd watch an eight-minute long video that consists of somebody dressing up a blow-up doll. Well done.

Also that dripping blue eye at the end totally makes it. It's like she's crying.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

If anyone on this subforum ever talks about what LPs could be, everyone should point to this finale video.

The blue paint making her cry (presumably, by complete accident) is the best part, really. A beautiful end to what is probably both the funniest and most depressing LP of all time.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

An incredible end to an incredible LP.

I'm kind of disappointed that you didn't give her blue/purple blush like you could give over half of the girls in those makeover games, but that would require blue blush to exist in real life and not be something girl games invented so you could make your characters look even more like corpses. (I hope blue blush doesn't actually exist)

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
That last video elevated this thread to goldmine status. Holy poo poo.

This is a work of art in every possible aspect. Thank you Devious Vacuum for showing us the true use of all of these beauty products.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yo I'm a Psych major and the study on concentration on a test changing depending on attire worn sounded interesting.

Also, in the second video, I was expecting it to go horribly wrong ala HowToBasic. :ohdear:

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
Thanks for this thread, DVac. Thanks for the sole blue tear on that beautiful doll, too.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
You could not have ended an already great thread in a better fashion. No pun intended.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'd like to thank you personally for making these videos. It takes talent to make so many interchangeable, formulaic games interesting to look at and discuss, and we're all better off since you've done it.It's been a great run, congratulations.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I don't have much to say other than this whole LP was brilliant and thanks for doing it.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
That was a hell of an ending, and I'm talking about both videos. The almost deadpan reading of sociology over girl games was perfect. :stare:

Thank you for making this. I honestly think you've managed to educate and make a deep impression, if I'm any indication. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

That ending. I'm crying. The doll's crying. Everything's crying

This is perfect, we're done here. Thanks for a great run, the whole thread's been amazing. Glad to see all of this come to light.

my dad posted:

But also: Goldmine.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

This was a great thread, I'm dying at that last video.

Also yeah, Goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Of all the videos featuring blowup dolls on the Something Awful forums, that was surely one of the better ones.

Thanks for the LP, DVac!

• Locked thread