Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

vs

vs

Edit: Oh, awkward way to start off page 2 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Holy cow I wanna participate in this so bad. Need a girl game...

edit: ^^ VIDEO DAMES

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
OMG Geop

that is like... so cool! And stuff.

Me and Skoolmunkee might do something for this thread :3:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Geop posted:

vs

vs

It's so beautiful

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Geop posted:

vs

vs

And here I thought RTH couldn't possibly further women's rights any more.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Namtab posted:

Video Dames

I would take this over ~*GAMER GIRLZ*~ any day.

This is going to be a great thread. I remember spending my early days on the internet hunting down dress up games for some weird reason. There was no purpose and they were literally all the same thing with different layouts and interfaces, I just wanted to see outfits I could never afford in real life on pixel girls I could project my image onto.

And then I discovered playing Resident Evil 4 was much more satisfying...

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In episode one you made your response to "now what would you make as a girl game" that was "well I wouldn't make a girl game" but anecdotally I don't think you really understand who plays these. I remember when my sister was younger she'd spend about half her weekly allotted two hours of internet time playing basically normal flash games and the other half specifically googling dress up games.
So I guess what you'd really want to do would be make a dress up game that actually is a game and doesn't reinforce lovely expectations of femininity, off the top of my head some sort of "super spy dress up" where you have to dress the spy up as whatever she has to pretend to be to do her spying? There'd be an actual game there, it wouldn't even be that far off from the 'dream date' game you showed off but it wouldn't really reinforce the lovely things the other games do.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I went around some girl game sites looking for any horrific examples I could play, and I learned that a series of surgery games by A10.com are surprisingly popular on them. Almost all of them straightforward surgery simulators like correcting scoliosis and implanting a cochlear implant; one of them involves simple rhinoplasty, but only as an addendum to functional nasal surgery.

You'd think more people would cash in on the market if girls love them that much.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was once a girl who played games. I can tell you now... I've seen some weird poo poo.

Remember when Petz: Horsez 2 was LPed? That thing was a goddamn experience/

There was a game called Babiez that was obviously marketed toward girls. The modding community revealed that the result caused girls to sink into uncontrollable derangement.

EDIT: Also, I must say... I played shittons of games like this, but it was very recently and because my work got to where I had nothing to do as the business died.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 18, 2014

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

reignonyourparade posted:

In episode one you made your response to "now what would you make as a girl game" that was "well I wouldn't make a girl game" but anecdotally I don't think you really understand who plays these. I remember when my sister was younger she'd spend about half her weekly allotted two hours of internet time playing basically normal flash games and the other half specifically googling dress up games.

So I guess what you'd really want to do would be make a dress up game that actually is a game and doesn't reinforce lovely expectations of femininity, off the top of my head some sort of "super spy dress up" where you have to dress the spy up as whatever she has to pretend to be to do her spying? There'd be an actual game there, it wouldn't even be that far off from the 'dream date' game you showed off but it wouldn't really reinforce the lovely things the other games do.

Or an actress who must play different characters and wear setting-appropriate costumes. Or -goodness- a field biologist who needs to dress for different environs and gather the appropriate equipment. And any of these could be the first level of a more elaborate game (spy interacts with different people and gathers information, actress memorizes her lines and discusses the process of making the movie with the other filmmakers on set, scientist explores the environment taking photos and asking questions and observing. Crap, I just made myself want to play every one of these!)

Funny thing is, I just remembered what games me and my girl friends were crazy about in middle school. One of them was a "story maker" where you had a wide variety of characters to place in a sort of storyboard; you wrote text below the pictures and some of the stuff we came up with was hilarious. (If anyone can think of the name of this game based off my lovely memory, I owe you a sketch of your favorite maniraptor.) The other was, of all things, "Amazon Trail". Reason? Well, the proto-"Pokemon Snap" mini game where you took pictures of the animals and plants in the rainforest, of course! It was cheesy as hell but really fun for its time. (Though the having to navigate the river *just so* parts could go right to hell.) Funny thing is, both games were completely gender neutral.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 18, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Everything about this thread looks amazing and I can't wait for more. :munch:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The Selena Gomez game has got to be a joke... right? It was made to be a joke. Please don't tell me otherwise. And the eye laser game. I mean, I get all the other lovely dress ups stemming from a stereotypical understanding of girls by idiots, but those two games could not have been made to taken at face value.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
Intelligent feminist discussion alongside horrible video games? Wooo, hello new favourite thread!

Cause even if you can't exactly spell out how a patriarchal society marginalizes, damages, and wounds those outside of the established system of privilege, we can just quickly look back at the videos, the monstrosities, the grotesque product of such a disgusting notion of society and go...

yep. Yep. That's what it looks like. This is what we do not want.

It's like a direction of a compass that you can always orient yourself to because you know sure as poo poo that it is not ever a direction you want to go in.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Camel Pimp posted:

The Selena Gomez game has got to be a joke... right? It was made to be a joke. Please don't tell me otherwise. And the eye laser game. I mean, I get all the other lovely dress ups stemming from a stereotypical understanding of girls by idiots, but those two games could not have been made to taken at face value.

The thing about those games in particular that makes them so haunting is that there is *so* much ingrained sexism in dumb Flash games about women Internet society in general, if we're being honest that it's hard to tell if they're meant to be parodies or not! We're going to need a lady version of :shepicide: before this thread is all over.

E: Also, seconding and thirding what That Irish Guy said.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 18, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'd like to point out how horrible a person eye-laser-lady was; she's wandering the street, hypnotizing random men, some of them obviously with their girlfriends. Because that's totally what young ladies should aspire to become. And how they should think of men. And themselves.

Remember, if your boyfriend cheats on you, it's okay because he was hypnotized by the eye-lasers of a hotter girl.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
SO I went ahead and tried to find some girl games as suggested in the OP. First thing I find is Popstar Dentist, where you clean some popstars disgusting teeth while they make this face;

:catstare: i was not expecting this

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there much of a difference between most of the mass-produced garbage you can find on the net or is it just hard to weed out and/or build up to the true wild cards of VIDEO DAMES like Eye Laser Flirting? Because I'm having a harder time trying to see the subliminal or direct propaganda behind the final game of video two. It's deceptively closer to an actualized game than what we've seen, but it also seems to carry this contradictory message that you should flirt like a hungry black widow with men. Not keeping in line with the usual "meek and mild Disney princess beauty" described in the guardian article.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 18, 2014

Dick Turpintine
Sep 26, 2012

The sexiest highwayman
This is going to be, and already is, gorgeous and wonderful. I would like to submit a terrible site that I used to go on, and I even think I made an account there at one point: something called Cartoon Doll Emporium. There is a metric shitton of dress up games on there but they also have other games (there's even an entire category of games about kissing). The dress up game area of the site also has such gems as Emo Pony and Keith's Garage Band. Also, I played one of the kissing games to see what exactly they were and it was loving awful, so basically perfect for this thread :v:. The site looks better than it did though, at least it's not all pink anymore.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I would like to see some of those "dating sim" games. I remember a surprising amount of them had nothing sexual about them at all. And an unsurprising amount of them did.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Are there any girl games that aren't there to remind you that if you're a girl, you're utterly screwed and must spend 500 dollars in beauty products every day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwrK-foCTaQ

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I play girl games... oh wait that's pretty much any game. What's wrong with pink? That's the "official" Goon color!
I used to spend a lot of time hanging out with my friend Amber and playing a lot of Spongebob and Zelda, that's Girl Games right?
EDIT: My ex used to make me play Sims so I just had our avatars make out a lot, but she used to cheat and just give herself a ton of free money while I tried to actually play the game normally. Sad thing was, the only person in the house that had a job was the bloody cat.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 18, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I also reacted strongly against being a "girl," but I got stuck in a terrible sort of limbo. I thought it was "wrong" to like "boy" things, or that I would get in trouble or looked down on in some nebulous way for liking things for boys. It kept me from being able to express what I really liked for quite some time. I had "girl" toys that I liked alright, but I would have had vastly more fun with some Transformers. I ended up becoming more and more resentful of "girly" things in general, even if they were harmless, just because they seemed to be keeping me from what I really wanted. That isn't mentioning how really HORRIBLY UNFUN everything made being a girl seem. Guys get to kick rear end and be the hero. What do girls get? Oh, you get a load of effort to be pretty. Isn't that good enough?

Basically, gently caress the idea that anything is specifically gendered for boys or girls. Even without all the problems of message, the sense of obligation and expectation combined with natural taste just makes kids miserable.

vv Dude, you hadn't even posted when I as typing this. I just meant in general.

EDIT: OH MY GOD

http://www.cartoondollemporium.com/dress-up-games.html?fantasy-warrior-girl&id=8760

Depicted here: not a fantasy warrior girl at all. What the hell are the options on this? It doesn't say "pixie girl", it says "Fantasy Warrior Girl." YOU SEEM TO LACK THE REQUISITE OPTIONS, GAME.

EDIT 2: gently caress http://www.cartoondollemporium.com/dress-up-games.html?silky-smooth-legs&id=8585

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 18, 2014

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey it's totally awesome to like whatever, tomboys are awesome! Some of my best friends are tomboys! Gender identity is a fascinating topic because while sexuality is fairly binary, the gender of a specific human is more liquid. But I might be wrong, so I hope I don't insult anyone.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Imagine how double-awkward all this poo poo is when you're transgendered, too. The conflicting, contradictory messages of what culture says you should be get pretty maddening and upsetting because you're 1) not sure if you're being a girl 'right,' and 2) because even if you get it 'right,' you're still signing up for an endless cycle of having to obsess over your weight, appearance, skin tone, dress sense, and whatever else. It's even worse when you bring video games into it because women tend to be little more than prizes to be won.

At least we had Samus Aran, until Other M hosed it all up. :smithicide:

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Dreadwroth posted:

Hey it's totally awesome to like whatever, tomboys are awesome! Some of my best friends are tomboys! Gender identity is a fascinating topic because while sexuality is fairly binary, the gender of a specific human is more liquid. But I might be wrong, so I hope I don't insult anyone.

Do you mean binary as in you're attracted to one gender or the other, or binary as in you're attracted to one gender and/or the other? For the former you'd definitely be wrong, but even as a bi woman I tend to categorize people with fluid genders into "more man" or "more woman" categories.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Geop posted:

vs

vs

P'lady

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Gyre posted:

Do you mean binary as in you're attracted to one gender or the other, or binary as in you're attracted to one gender and/or the other? For the former you'd definitely be wrong, but even as a bi woman I tend to categorize people with fluid genders into "more man" or "more woman" categories.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the post may have been referring to biological sex (as in, XX chromosomes vs XY chromosomes) opposed to gender. Of course, biological sex doesn't always work out in a perfectly binary fashion either, but I think that's missing the point.

Furthermore, gently caress the patriarchy.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I am both disappointed and thankful that comments have been disabled on those videos. It's an odd feeling.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uhhh I think I meant biological sex, but I am probably wrong so feel free to ignore my halfassed opinions on sexuality. And yes, gently caress the patriarchy.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Out of curiosity, I tried playing the Hollywood Beauty Secrets game to see if you could get the cool meter up all the way.

So far my experimentation has indicated that you can't. You always fail.

Edit: Okay it seems like you can win the 'movie set' scenario but the red carpet always boos you off the stage...

Amidiri fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 18, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Amidiri posted:

Out of curiosity, I tried playing the Hollywood Beauty Secrets game to see if you could get the cool meter up all the way.

Edit: Okay it seems like you can win the 'movie set' scenario but the red carpet always boos you off the stage...

You're never good enough. Only the chosen elect can be perfect women!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Why can't I just heart and gold star all of the posts in my thread <3

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Because you must rely on us to do it for you!
Wait.... oh I am a dummy.
Hah!
EDIT: I have no idea why but I watched some Laci Green videos about Sex Objects, but I am really ok with it. She is really cool.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Man all of these games so far are about dressing up and getting boyz. This stinks. Aren't there any that are a little more progressive?

Hmmm, let's see. Oh, here's some "doctor" games. That sounds good. Let's just see what-

OH GOD SANTA WHY? :gonk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's festive! :downs:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I may or may not already be planning to feature this game and this website.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Amidiri posted:

I did it for all three. It's not hard at all. It's just a matter of picking everything until the meter goes up (or you find something that doesn't make it go down.)

Makeup confuses me and I managed to make the doll conform to Hollywood's standards of beauty as dictated by a half assed Flash game.

Also, if you're going to look about girl games, I think it sort of behooves you to look about Purple Moon and its library of games. Apparently, 4 years of market research determined that little girls 9 to 12 living in the 90s liked visual novels with very little plot deviation.

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 18, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I don't know what I was expecting coming in to the thread but I am enjoying the discussions. I have always known about "girl games" but my sister never played them. I think she is aware that these games exist as well but she chooses to ignore them in favour of playing the same games everyone else in the house played.

poo poo these days since most RPGs allow you to choose male of female when creating your character what is even the point of these games? I ask that rhetorically because I know where these games come from, the same uncreative minds that make the other 1000s of lovely flash games that are out there.

Any who, I am on my toes for how deep this rabbit hole goes

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Agent Interrobang posted:

At least we had Samus Aran, until Other M hosed it all up. :smithicide:

Yoshio Sakamoto tried to say that the Prime series didn't exist in his storyline. Prime and Other M are mutually exclusive stories, and one of them was an innovative revival for the series, and the other was a steaming pile of poo poo. I certainly know I which one I'm going to choose.

Whenever I was little, I got Metroid Prime for Christmas along with a GameCube. Best game for a kid who wasn't really a fan of barbies. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
I remember really enjoying Rockett's Secret Adventure as a little girl in the 90s (despite not being familiar with the kind of high school Rockett went to)! Probably not too surprising that I turned out to be a visual novel fan. I'd really love to see someone LP the rest of the series.

• Locked thread