Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I have created the Fruitomancer, mistress of the forbidden fruit arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Devious Vacuum posted:

Prom queen of fruit prom.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Another entry into the Hot Boyz of Girl Games: Regency Dress Up

M'llllllladies

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Devious Vacuum posted:

M'llllllladies
Bah! Imagine this coming at you in the street!

I really like the way the medal turned out.

Are all of those game absolute poo poo with sprite order? The hats are the only things that draw over the animals.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Devious Vacuum posted:

Oh White Guava of the west, protect me from harm!
Oh Black Mango of the north, warn me of danger!
Oh Azure Kumquat of the east, grant me inner strength!
Oh Vermilion Durian of the south, produce foul odors!
Four Zodiac Fruit Symbols, I beseech thee!

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

SelenicMartian posted:

Are all of those game absolute poo poo with sprite order? The hats are the only things that draw over the animals.

Agreed, the animals are poorly implemented.
I went for a little of the layered look/TF2-chic and was sad that you can only put on three guns and one sword and one medal.

Also, someone earlier mentioned hipster dress up and, while the options are fairly limited, I really like the art style and music as well. So...

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

SelenicMartian posted:

I prefer L&D2, though. It has "ripping off a skin flap off the patients skull with your bare hands and holding it up with seel hooks" as a standard start for the surgery.

My favorite part of that game was stabbing the patient in the eye with a needle and hearing them scream.

I definitely also accidentally started cutting without turning on the anesthesia at least once. Lawsuit? Naw, just report to the classroom for more medical school!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

:siren: SPEAKING OF HORRIFYING THINGS :siren:

with Midnight Voyager

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
My step mother had a black head removal tool like that and once in a while she would use it on my face.
It was quite unpleasant.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 23, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That clown song is going to play when I sleep tonight. Also the Kristen Stewart game is reminding me of Miranda from Mass Effect 2 for some reason.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Side note: the song is "Rock Star" by Hannah Montana, yes, I am aware I admitted liking a Hannah Montana song.

Also, this weird-lookin' dark skin tone isn't quite as weird as I thought it was, but it's still way too grey.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Was it me, or was there swearing in the backing song of the police one?

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE
Let's play some girl games* based on girl movies**! First up, it's the John Hughes classic***:

Join Mr Swoon, Syrg and I as we find love and gas lamps in Pretty In Pink.

*[I think these are marketed to girls?]
**[Well, movies that have young women in leading roles.]
***[It was just ok.]

Edit: The audio may cut off at the end? The sound is supposed to continue to play after the video ends because of magic. I'll try to fix it.

Charkie fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 11, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Angrymog posted:

Was it me, or was there swearing in the backing song of the police one?

There was no music in that game so I added a dubstep remix of gently caress THE POLICE

Not all the games have music! If there's no music, I go in and add music. There is at least one per episode! See if you can spot them all! (Hint: it's always the music that is much higher quality)

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
drat, where'd you get that :krad: dubstep remix of the Sad Clown Loop?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Devious Vacuum posted:

There was no music in that game so I added a dubstep remix of gently caress THE POLICE

I'm glad you did, it made me laugh when I suddenly realised what I was hearing.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Dyslexiactic posted:

drat, where'd you get that :krad: dubstep remix of the Sad Clown Loop?

Stay tuned for DYS'S EPISODE later on where he ruins the illusion by mentioning the lack of music.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
It's actually kind of depressing how many games there are that have you make over Merida; when I covered Mulan Makeover and other facial makeover games, I skipped over a Merida game because I haven't watched Brave and didn't think I had enough knowledge to base any comments on. But it was certainly there, complete with the plucking of eyebrows.

There's also this dress-up game, which ticks me off more for its PlayRosy description than anything else:

"We all love Princess Merida from Brave and we all know she has no sense for fashion! Help the princess find some nice clothes and show everybody how beautiful she is! Have fun!"

For the record, this game was made by the same people who made Black Barbie Girl and even has most of the same elements, like color sliders. And unnatural hair colors (not pictured: hot pink-purple hair).

It all just ties back into what was said in the end of the video: All things must be made sexy. Sexy princesses, sexy nuns, sexy clowns, and on and on.

On the plus side, I did find Brave Run, which has nothing to do with fashion; Merida runs automatically, and you have to make her jump over obstacles and avoid falling into pits or crashing into trees. I think you can also upgrade her abilities so that she can jump higher, do double-jumps, avoid slipping in mud, and other things, but I never got enough points to buy upgrades. My clumsy hands and poor sense of timing mean I'm pretty terrible at this game.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 11, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Charkie posted:

Let's play some girl games* based on girl movies**! First up, it's the John Hughes classic***:

Join Mr Swoon, Syrg and I as we find love and gas lamps in Pretty In Pink.

*[I think these are marketed to girls?]
**[Well, movies that have young women in leading roles.]
***[It was just ok.]

Edit: The audio may cut off at the end? The sound is supposed to continue to play after the video ends because of magic. I'll try to fix it.

Time Remaining: 4:20

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
At least the site in this video was only using fake money for dressing up your virtual characters... I did a fair amount of work on a dress-up game/paper doll style avatar creator app thing for the iPhone where most of the outfits and backgrounds were in-app purchases for real money. It always kind of baffled me that anyone would buy them.

Thanks for this thread, it has been a fascinating look into the disturbing depths of bad Flash games.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Dang, that nun dress-up voting thing seems like a neat idea, but making you install a toolbar cheapens the experience, because you HAVE to play it to be worth the inevitable adware. It's like they intended it to be habit-forming.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

All right Midnight Voyager, I wanna see that video of the clown on fire.

Give it. :colbert:

Nidoking posted:

habit-forming

:negative:

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Fortunately, Star Stable has the answer. It seems to be a kid orientated horse-themed MMO. There's always a chance that its not vacant and horrible and has actual good gameplay. Despite being a bit pink the website and company behind it seem like a proper professional outfit rather than the shoveware webgames.

And here's where I have to admit to actually having tried out this game. I liked the idea of an MMO where you don't have to kill things and I also just like checking out any game that seems weird and different and can be tried out for free, so I checked it out. It's not that bad, really. You basically solve quests by riding around on your horse and gathering things and they also have horse racing on different courses. You have to take care of your horse each day to keep it happy and you can do chores at the stable to get reputation with the stable owners. And of course there are millions of outfits you can earn or buy for both yourself and your horse.

I only played it for a little bit because you can only play so much before you have to subscribe, which I didn't want to do. I felt like if I had a daughter who was into it, I would play it with her, though. I thought it was decent enough. The questing gameplay wasn't all that challenging, but it was kind of fun and relaxing to ride around and follow the storyline. The horse racing and competitions add an element of challenge for those who want it, and while it definitely plays on some stereotypes about what girls are like and what they are interested in, it also is kind of neat in that it's a game where all of the player characters are female and a world where the hero is always a girl on a horse. Men are in the world, but they are very much side characters, while girls and their horses are what this world is all about. Also, although there is a focus on clothing and fashion within the game, the clothing is all appropriate for young girls and the characters aren't sexualized at all as far as I could tell, which is a plus.

I also got the sense that there were as many older women as little girls that played the game so if you're into horses and wanted a relaxing game to run around and play pretend horses, this would be a pretty decent pick.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Ok, tomatoes are my favorite food. But why did Merida put them on her eyes. Are tomatoes known for their moisturizing qualities? No they're not. Or maybe they are? Although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since she then put fruit all over her face.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have failed this city. :( I tried to find good (for streaming) Totally Spies flash games for my Girl Games Stream #2, but the official website opens all their games in a new window in like 200x200 resolution. The first one I could deal with, but the second one makes it awful to stream. I did try to make it watchable, but that didn't work.

I did find a single game that is so awful I just HAVE to show it off, it's just not on the official website.

I might also do an actually good game for girls that I legitimately played and beat as a kid and now can't play for poo poo if I can't find any more fun but lovely flash games.

Thinking either Thursday or Friday at 10 or so. Shouldn't take terribly long to actually play so

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Senerio posted:

I tried to find good (for streaming) Totally Spies flash games for my Girl Games Stream #2, but the official website opens all their games in a new window in like 200x200 resolution.

I don't know the specifics of what you're talking about, but maybe try ResizeEnable or something?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's not the window that matters, it's the flash game itself. I could resize it to a good resolution but it would look like rear end.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Obey your fruity overlord :gonk:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

All right Midnight Voyager, I wanna see that video of the clown on fire.

Give it. :colbert:

:negative:

Well, I saw it on some TV show I had running in the background. World's Dumbest or something? Let's look on Youtube and see if- HOLY poo poo there's a lot of clowns catching fire.

The weirdest part of that clip was a little boy who was just staring at the flaming clown and grinning.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lowly posted:

And here's where I have to admit to actually having tried out this game. I liked the idea of an MMO where you don't have to kill things and I also just like checking out any game that seems weird and different and can be tried out for free, so I checked it out. It's not that bad, really.
That was the impression I got from watching as much of that Men drinking coffee video as I could bear - their problems with the game seemed to mainly be self-inflicted.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I think that Pretty In Pink game (and probably the Dirty Dancing one) was aimed at parents buying their children games about things the parents liked when they were kids. I'd assume that's a pretty solid market.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Devious Vacuum posted:

Not all the games have music! If there's no music, I go in and add music. There is at least one per episode! See if you can spot them all! (Hint: it's always the music that is much higher quality)

That's actually kind of a shame - it would have been really something for this Girl Game For Girls Wot Be Children playing "gently caress the po, gently caress the po-lice" super loudly. As if the game were designed for adult men with uniform fetishes. Or something.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009
Bit late to the party, but I'm loving the thread. We do a lot of work on gender equality and about looking beneath the surface to inner beauty with one of the youth groups I work with. I had no idea they were probably leaving me and going home to play these games!

On the other hand, I have had a go and managed to create two interesting ladies.

This is a recreation of me on my wedding day, looking slightly perturbed because I seem to have broken my wrist.

And this is a very culturally sensitive recreation of a Japanese lady who terrifies the life out of me.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

DWK posted:

This is a recreation of me on my wedding day, looking slightly perturbed because I seem to have broken my wrist.

To be fair, that would probably ruin your wedding day just a bit.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

When that Avril Lavigne track played it sort of sounded like the opening for Shouen Ashibe and for a bit I thought the composer for it decided to ape some obscure show about seals' theme for a quick cashin hit or something.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Nerdy to Emo Makeover

I thought we could use something a little "educational". Since for some reason it bothers me when people get this mixed up. I'm just wondering how hard it is to get even the thing you're promoting correct. It also speaks on behalf of the world of "fashion" that if you're not "cool enough" you should just change how you dress and assimilate with what's popular.

Cartoon Doll Emporium posted:

are you a nerdy girl with lots of spots on your face, wearing geek but not chic glasses and pretty but not fashionable enough outfits? do you want to change your boring nerdy look into the hottest emo diva
nerdy can be cool, but emo is even cooler

Also, I too was intrigued by the Ballerina Dressup game but it was super boring aside from these feet.

Thanks for the heads up!

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

To be fair, that would probably ruin your wedding day just a bit.

It would definitely have ruined mine, as I spent part of the reception running a "have-a-go" archery session.
It actually annoyed me I couldn't add a bow in Medieval Dress-up. Years ago there was a Lego dress-up thing that offered more choices than most of these "games". Wish I could find it now, that thing was awesome!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I can only hope to teach the whole thread how to rub different colors of goo on their faces with such proficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

I can only hope to teach the whole thread how to rub different colors of goo on their faces with such proficiency.

I have faith in you, D Vac!

Regarding the earlier discussion of the dress-up options in games like Skyrim, and such, I remember having more fun than expected customizing my Evil Tower of Grim Evil in Overlord. There are just so many neat things you can add.

• Locked thread